Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Yossi Benayoun (Chelsea)

Read 17385 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Yossi Benayoun (Chelsea)
      Reply #46: May 25, 2010 12:57:42 pm
      Let's be honest here; in a season which we were dire at worst and mediocre at best, Yossi was used sparingly by Rafa.

He's bound to have watched on, at times, and thought "what the F**k?". Yossi is/was one of the very few players we have/had at our disposal with the nous to create something out of nothing. He's an exciting player who needs to play and needs to be wanted. He mustn't feel wanted here.

If it's true that Chelsea 'want' him the he's bound to be interested. Modern players do not have, (with some notable exceptions), a great sense of loyalty. Which is why none of us should ever put our 'love' of a player before our club.

If he wants to go we can't stop him and nor should we want to.

Good post. I have asked a large number of my mates, besides Torres, Gerrard and Reina which player would you want in your team from Liverpool and no lie, every one of them said Benayoun without a doubt. He is a very good player with great technical ability and yet like you have already said, he is used sparingly. The lad needs to play more games, change formation if we have to, but he is creative with the ball and can help us win games. Wouldn't blame the lad if he moved on.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #47: May 25, 2010 01:09:18 pm
      Good post. I have asked a large number of my mates, besides Torres, Gerrard and Reina which player would you want in your team from Liverpool and no lie, every one of them said Benayoun without a doubt. He is a very good player with great technical ability and yet like you have already said, he is used sparingly. The lad needs to play more games, change formation if we have to, but he is creative with the ball and can help us win games. Wouldn't blame the lad if he moved on.
      http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=19091&cc=3436
      Again this sparingly argument I would say is invalid.
      Please look at the Link attached for Yossi's stats, compare them to last years when he did so well and was somewhat of an unsong hero for us especially in the latter stages of the season with that goal against Madrid and the late late winner against Fulham and goals against Arsenal and Chelsea.

This year in fact he started one more game more than he did last year for Liverpool and would have even started more had he not had a few niggling injuries.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #48: May 25, 2010 01:31:40 pm
      I disagree that he was used sparingly.

Again this sparingly argument I would say is invalid

The argument is valid if taken in the context in which it was used. That is; there were players, being picked to start before Yossi, who were clearly out of form. Not only that but continual faith in those players was to the detriment of the team.

The season before we were flying and Yossi would have been aware that it may and should have been hard to displace them in a system that was working. In 2009/10 season we were, at times, dire. Yossi and to a lesser extent Aquilani, when sitting on the bench, had to be thinking "What the F**k?" - niggling injuries or not - they couldn't have done any F***ing worse.

I do not have a problem with your statistical analysis Dadorious but sometimes statistics can be misleading when used out of context. It was only my opinion and is quite possibly wrong.

I'm sure Yossi will let us know, eventually.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #49: May 25, 2010 02:31:04 pm
      With you Daddo. I don't think he was used sparingly at all. He was one of many who didn't reach the heights he did last season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: May 25, 2010 05:40:46 pm
      I'm really disappointed in Yossi, so much so I hope his next shits a hedgehog. ;D
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #51: May 25, 2010 06:41:40 pm
      Can't believe Yossi actually said that.

Thought he'd be staying. Who can you replace a player like him with for just Ā£6M??
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #52: May 26, 2010 12:55:30 am
      http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=19091&cc=3436
      Again this sparingly argument I would say is invalid.
      Please look at the Link attached for Yossi's stats, compare them to last years when he did so well and was somewhat of an unsong hero for us especially in the latter stages of the season with that goal against Madrid and the late late winner against Fulham and goals against Arsenal and Chelsea.

This year in fact he started one more game more than he did last year for Liverpool and would have even started more had he not had a few niggling injuries.

The fact that he probably performed better than most people this season means that your stats mean nothing pal. He may have played 1 more game but you try and find out how many he actually started. You are getting nowhere comparing last years stats for Benayoun to this years stats because the whole team has been below par. He has a good game then the next he is out of the team.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #53: May 26, 2010 03:37:59 am
      16 sub appearances last season - only Ngog and Babel came on from the bench more than him if I'm not mistaken. And he was the most subbed LFC player of the season.

There was injuries to take into account of course but I think it's safe to say he was used sparingly. There was a lot of times I couldn't get my head around why he was getting subbed. He did have a creative ability and he did score a few goals last season.

He's been wanting to leave before though. I think this time he should go.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #54: May 26, 2010 04:27:13 am
      I think Yossi may of been used sparingly, but rightly so in my opinion.

Although he does have the ability to work magic, most of the time when he starts he's fails. And although he started the season well, he went downhill the longer the season went on. Then sort of picked up again towards the end.

Didn't think he'd go to Chelsea though, what with being an ex Hammer as well as a Red, Chelsea are hardly the most popular club amongst those two sets of fans. But if it's trophies and money he wants, then Chelsea looks a decent bet. They probably see him as a cheaper version of Joe Cole, wages wise, and even Cole has been underused this season by Ancelloti so I can't see Yossi being able to hold down a regular place either.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #55: May 26, 2010 04:27:35 pm
      If we need statistics rather than believe our eyes then here you go:

In the Premier League, Kuyt (who no-one could say was used sparingly) played for a total of 3004 minutes; scoring 9, assisting 4 - 1 goal/assist  for every 231 mins he was on the pitch.

In the Premier League, Yossi played for a total of 1850 minutes; scoring 6, assisting 5 - producing something 1 goal/assist for every 168 mins he was on the pitch.

In my opinion he was under used.

I was only offering a suggestion that, in a season in which we were dire at times, Yossi could have been used more to the benefit of the team and (perhaps) when he looked at the performances of others (not just Kuyt); he may have "known" that and felt unwanted.............onl y Yossi knows for sure.

Either way, if he wants to leave, it's too late to correct any injustice he may feel, so it hardly matters.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #56: May 26, 2010 07:13:27 pm
      Either way, if he wants to leave, it's too late to correct any injustice he may feel, so it hardly matters.
      I remember his agent (reportedly) saying that Yossi signed for us to play in the CL and was concerned by his lack of first team action. I think that was near the beginning of his second season with us. If his main desire is to play in the CL then we shouldn't be too shocked at the news.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #57: May 27, 2010 06:23:24 pm
      No way did he say that.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #58: May 27, 2010 07:27:32 pm
      It's only a small story but he is quoted in it ..

Yossi Benayoun is probably heading out of Liverpool.
      The Blues have put in a Ā£6 million bid for the Israeli attcker and it is expected that the deal will go through.
      Benayoun said: ā€œAncelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool. Chelsea will have to pay some Ā£6 million but I believe that in the end Iā€™ll be moving there.ā€

http://www.friendsofliverpool.com/2010/05/benayoun-moving-to-chelsea.html
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #59: May 28, 2010 02:19:27 pm

Terry "Come Yossi join the Russian revolution"
      Yossi "But John I look like Gary Neville with Aids and you Can't keep your hands off me, however will I trust you around my wife ?"

linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #60: May 28, 2010 03:52:22 pm
      If this is true, what an ***
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #61: May 28, 2010 10:01:51 pm
      Make them pay more then Ā£6M
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #62: May 29, 2010 01:50:25 am
      Yossi, for me has been great for us and at times crucial. I definatley wouldn't sell him and would hate to see him leave. Have him over any of our present wide players. Should have been given more starts by rafa when he was fit. Total unsung hero.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #63: May 29, 2010 03:21:59 am
      He will be at Upton Park next season with Israeli coach Avram Grant... quote me ;D.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #64: May 29, 2010 03:34:07 am
      Ah well, I've rated Benayoun for ages, and last season he was phenomenal, but this year he hasn't actually been great. Lots of sub appearances and sub-par performances. Maybe he's getting old and taking a bit of money for him now is a good idea.

And on the upside that probably promotes Pacheco or another youngster up the order.

Oh and I forgot to say if that quote is right and he wants to leave that much, he can F***ing well do so. The fans want players that want to play for the club, not passengers.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #65: May 31, 2010 10:59:09 am
      Chelsea set to free Joe Cole and go after Yossi Benayoun

ā€¢ Tottenham favoured to secure services of Cole
      ā€¢ Liverpool reject opening Ā£4m Benayoun bid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/30/joe-cole-chelsea-contract

Chelsea have paved the way for Joe Cole's departure from Stamford Bridge by formalising their interest in the Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun, with the Israeli confident a transfer can be completed over the next week.

An opening bid of Ā£4m is understood to have been knocked back by the Merseyside club, though they have offered Chelsea encouragement that an improved offer of about Ā£6m will secure the 30-year-old. Carlo Ancelotti is keen to sign the Israel international after talks with Cole's representative over a new deal reached an impasse, with the midfielder now expected to leave under freedom of contract next month.

Tottenham Hotspur, with a potential Champions League campaign ahead, remain favourites to secure Cole under the Bosman ruling, ending his seven-year stay in south-west London since a Ā£6.6m move from West Ham United. The 28-year-old had hoped to gain an increase on his weekly wage to Ā£100,000, but Chelsea are set upon restructuring financially and did not offer him improved terms.

Cole has not had a regular firstā€‘team place at the Double winners under Ancelotti, and Benayoun will have to accept life as a squad player as well. His own fortunes at Liverpool dipped somewhat towards the end of last season to mirror those of the team, with his relationship with the manager, Rafael BenĆ­tez, steadily deteriorating to the point where Liverpool effectively sanctioned his departure in the closed season.

The move is surprising given that Benayoun, who had also attracted tentative interest from his former club West Ham United and Spurs, is two years older than Cole in a squad that is already considered to be ageing, though he does have pedigree in the Premier League.

The Israeli anticipates the completion of his move to Stamford Bridge over the next few days having indicated last week while on international duty that Chelsea were keen to sign him. "Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool," he said. "Chelsea will have to pay some Ā£6m, but I believe that, in the end, I'll be moving there."
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #66: May 31, 2010 11:19:53 am
      For a thirty year old forward Ā£6m is good money, the swap with Cole is very attractive and a plus with that deal is there are no spondoolies floating about for the owners to claim.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #67: May 31, 2010 11:46:06 am
      Apparently Chelski have made a formal enquiry this morning.
      Would be sad to see him leave but if we get Simao in to replace him then I'll get over it pretty damn quickly.

IF
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #68: May 31, 2010 11:59:50 am
      Well if the blood that runs through Yossi's veigns is blue, then I'd like to see this completed quickly and then perhaps we'll start to see some positive transfer activity.

Quick Reply