Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are England overrated in this World Cup?

Yes
      (60%)
      No
      (28%)
      Don't care
      (12%)

Vote: Are England overrated?

Read 5230 times
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Vote: Are England overrated?
      Reply #23: Jun 20, 2010 04:08:40 am
      Qualifications and friendlies don't mean sh*t though Reslivo. Holland hasn't lost a game since Russia at Euro 2008. They hadn't lost a game in the 2 years before that either. All that means sh*t. In fact, plenty of winners had bad preperations and qualifications. Qualifications and friendlies come down mostly to individual qualities, because there's hardly any preperation time. While tournaments more come down to the team as a whole.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Jun 20, 2010 04:09:32 am
      Not a good thing that though is it mate.

No not really, but I'll back my country through thick and thin.

I'm pissed off that we don't perform at the second-highest level, but what can you do? Just got to bear with them and pray they improve.

We crushed Croatia, beat Belarus, ground Germany down, beat Ukraine, gave the Netherlands a hell of a game, and scored a sh*t-load of goals in the process. Yet we're still criticised, even before this sh*t World Cup run. I just don't understand it.

It's like Liverpool on the international level. It's unreal.

We'll beat Slovenia on Wednesday. We'll score goals. We'll get through, then the real fans will laugh. Not those c**t boo-boys.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jun 20, 2010 04:15:15 am
      They constantly refer to the pressure they are under, but it's no different to that of Brazil (as I'm sure Diego will point out) where Dunga is under massive pressure, and the media want him out.

Brazilian fans have applauded Messi, ironically, at the Mineirão in a Brazil vs Argentina game in the South America qualifications. Brazilian fans sang "goodbye Dunga" every single time he didn't win a game. The press, especially ESPN, are completely anti-Dunga and way too critic about the players.

Pressure is not an England thing, I'm sure. Rooney crying cause of some boo's is f***in pathetic. He did nothing for 90 minutes. He didn't even try.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #26: Jun 20, 2010 04:18:37 am
      Can you understand Dunga's critics though Diego? I can. When I was watching your last game and your bench I really felt you lack some creativity and pace etc. I missed the samba ;) You could've used some fresh blood like Ganso and Neymar. They would've done great on this World Cup I'm sure, even if it's just as substitutes.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Jun 20, 2010 04:27:20 am
      Can you understand Dunga's critics though Diego? I can. When I was watching your last game and your bench I really felt you lack some creativity and pace etc. I missed the samba ;) You could've used some fresh blood like Ganso and Neymar. They would've done great on this World Cup I'm sure, even if it's just as substitutes.

Yep. I'm not his biggest fan - not as a manager, as a player I loved the man. But you can't deny he did found a way to make this team play. We struggle against defensive sides (even drew at home with teams like Bolivia) but we've destroyed all the big teams we played against (Italy, Argentina, Portugal). We're too reliant on counter attacks but we won the Copa America, the Confederations Cup, finished 1st in the qualifications. So I do understand his critics, but they're ridiculously exaggerated. I've stopped reading ESPN magazine cause of the big amount of rubbish they say about him.

The problem about creativity is that our only natural attacking midfielder is Kaká. If he's not performing (and at the moment, he isn't), we have no one else to the position. Julio Baptista? He's a strong player and usually does well for Brazil, but he doesnt have the brain to be a Brazilian "number 10". And it's a country that has produced Diego, Ganso, Alex and so many others! We shouldn't be so dependent of Kaká. This is one of my biggest complaints about Dunga.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #28: Jun 20, 2010 06:14:41 am
      Overrated ?

Offcourse.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #29: Jun 20, 2010 08:53:30 am
      In terms of playing staff, no.

The England team is full of quality. No doubt injuries have put a dent on England's World Cup hopes, but the 3rd choice defender is after all Jamie Carragher and he was, for me, the best player on the pitch against Algeria. These international stars can rival Spain's team week in week out, and for me, is one of the best two teams in the World Cup with regards to playing staff.

However, I think England is overrated at this World Cup. They've waltzed through qualifying, smashing Croatia in the process and played some beautiful football, but always on the biggest stage of international football they fail to perform. I also wonder why. Are the players wilting under pressure? Is Capello's selections totally wrong? Is Capello wrong in controlling the England camp through authoritarian means and fear? Many factors to take into consideration.

No doubt the press will have a field day whenever England fail to perform at the highest level. Kevin Keegan said yesterday that 'the players write the headlines' and that's what I totally agree with. These English players write the headlines, not the press. They perform well on the pitch, the press will naturally get behind them after one game.

They've got 1 game to right the wrongs and if they do it then brilliant. Whether or not the English team will gain confidence from that, or come back the next game completely clueless again we never know. England is obviously the most talked about team in this World Cup and it will be a massive surprise should they fail to qualify on Wednesday.

Before the game Rooney went, "Against Algeria we can not be at our best and win the game".

After? "Nice to see your own fans booing you. If that's what loyal support is, for f**k's sake".

Complacency? Frustration? Had a long gruelling season in the EPL? Lost faith in the manager? Poor tactical decisions?

For me the biggest cause of it is a psychological and mental problem within the England camp. They don't have the belief that they can win the World Cup. There isn't unity in the camp, and it leads to mistrust. On the pitch they rather trust their own self rather than doing what a better option is.

They dread failure more than a hunger to succeed.
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #30: Jun 20, 2010 09:08:48 am
      Low in confidence and players being played out of position, a win will settle the nerves hopefully.

I voted NO.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Jun 20, 2010 10:24:24 am
      After last nights display by a 'team' of players going missing in action bringing the boo boys out in full force. I was wondering what people who aren't from England think about these so called superstars out of their comfort zone of foreign players playing around them, week in, week out. *cough Lampard cough*

In this World Cup, are we seeing an overrated England team?

I voted "No" kenny simply because (and i'm being honest here) i never rated their chances anyhow.

England are way too ridged in their approach - it's almost à la (dare i say it) Rafa. There seems to be no plan B and no deviation, if you, like from what Capello sees as "right". He, like Rafa, has great faith in the "system" - it's this "system", his "system" that he believes will deliver, not the players. Why else would he bring (and play) the likes of Emile F***ing Heskey or Ledley King to the World Cup?

Plan A has: two good, attacking, full-backs; two great attacking mid-fielders; two lightening quick wingers; one striker (on top of his game) and a big target man. Now, if that's not working (which it isn't); what to do? Change like for like - usually the big target man and or a winger - and guess what? It still doesn't work.

So, if changing the personnel doesn't work, one can only deduct ...... it's your F***ing "system" that's broken Fabio!  >:D

I hope England progress. For me it's more interesting if they do but Capello needs to give your lads more freedom and start picking a team able to act with spontaneity.

Good luck.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #32: Jun 20, 2010 11:47:33 am
      It's the system that appointed Capello and approves if not encourages the choices he makes.
      The old boy set up and favours for favours structure is alive and well and explains the choices that confound most people.
      David Beckham on the bench now wtf is that all about? that's before you start on the team selection.
      Xavier79
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 17 
      Reply #33: Jun 20, 2010 12:18:07 pm
      I don't think England is overrated, but it suffers the everlasting problem of teams with players in the big championships all over Europe. They have to play the championship, the national cup, the league cup, Champions league (for the top teams), Europa league, the qualifications for the world cup, friendly games, etc... Add to this a pre-world cup training maybe too intense and you have totally burned out players for the start of the competition.

I hope they can pull it off against Slovenia.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #34: Jun 20, 2010 12:21:15 pm
      I find it amusing how the media have gone from worshipping Capello to asking him if he will resign in 6 days.

England enter every tournament with a significant disadvantage ; the poison of the British press.
      Xavier79
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 17 
      Reply #35: Jun 20, 2010 02:24:28 pm
      I find it amusing how the media have gone from worshipping Capello to asking him if he will resign in 6 days.

England enter every tournament with a significant disadvantage ; the poison of the British press.

Like every major team in a world cup... National presses are not soft with their teams.

Here in France it is the same thing (Well... except that France deserves it: a bunch of stupid a**holes who can't do sh*t together!)
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #36: Jun 20, 2010 06:53:22 pm
      First and foremost, i don't care about England. As an Irish man, i have no interest in them. However, i think England have a great squad of players. I even tipped them to win the World Cup and that is something i would never wish to happen. But, i don't think the team is overrated as such. I do think, and its typical of England as a country (no disrespect to use guys), it tends to big up its sporting achievments and can't understand it if they fail.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #37: Jun 20, 2010 07:00:11 pm
      England have a fantastic group of players, without a doubt.

It's just no-one seems to be able to get them to perform like they really should be. Yes, the qualifiers were a collection of fantastic wins but there is a voodoo on tournaments. I honestly don't know how no-one seems to get it right. It really does puzzle me. 

So I voted yes. Although the fantastic squad is a huge reason why people expect them to play well. And as JD put it. The fickle media certainly do not help. 
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #38: Jun 20, 2010 08:29:12 pm
      I think it takes more than just straight talent or ability to win the World Cup.  In league matches it takes teams 2-3 seasons of playing together to become champions.  I think the England squad is loaded with talent and certainly NOT overrated, but I think they have not learned to play as one.  If the England squad was an EPL team then they would win the treble every year.  You need to play with eachother day in and day out for months to gel and become a great squad.

It also takes a lot of luck and you need the ball to bounce just right to get those great goals. When it comes to knock out rounds, any team can win and any team can take the Cup. I think if England and the US advance that they have a chance just like Brazil and Argentina or Spain.  All it takes is one lucky goal or a penalty kick.  Not too mention it only takes a good match to give a team new life.

When we played Slovenia at half-time we were beat.  Then Donovan got that great goal and all the momentum shifted and the US just dominated the second half.  I dont care what that f***in Official said. We won that match, the US team knows that and I think their riding that into the next match and If we advance to the knock-out rounds, we can go far. Same with England. If they come out and have a great match against Slovenia and advance they can ride that. All it takes is 1 match.

I hope we both advance because I really want to see the US play England in knock-out match. I want to see my team play the best and win and I think England are still one of the best squads.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #39: Jun 20, 2010 08:40:02 pm
      I don't think they are over rated, just always under perform.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #40: Jun 21, 2010 12:51:57 pm
      England are rated about 8 in the world which is based on results, not on the various opinions spun by media pundits.

sometimes they live up to it by making the quarter-finals, sometimes they dont, like euro 2008.

If you are rated 8 in the world you are expected to on average make the last 8, occasionally do better, and occasionally do worse.  that seems to be our historical pattern, so I would say our rating is pretty accurate.

Are some of our players over-rated?    now that might be a better question

I think our problem is that although many claim we have world class players such as

Rooney-Gerrard-Lampard......   the truth is all these players are off the boil, at the wrong time.

Rooney was being hailed during the time prior to sustaining his ankle injury

Gerrard was at the peak of his powers over 12 months ago

Lampard just doesnt seem to have turned up, and in truth has rarely ever turned up for England

On current form those 3 have probably been over rated my many.

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #41: Jun 21, 2010 01:12:29 pm
      Those FIFA rankings are bullshit. Argentina is ranked 7th. Portugal 3rd. Holland has been in the top 4 for the last decade or so, even 2nd at some point, and we have not performed in the top 4 at any tournament during that time. Those rankings are mostly made up out of friendlies and qualification matches, while those games really don't matter.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #42: Jun 21, 2010 01:16:47 pm
      Those FIFA rankings are bullshit. Argentina is ranked 7th. Portugal 3rd. Holland has been in the top 4 for the last decade or so, even 2nd at some point, and we have not performed in the top 4 at tournaments during that time. Those rankings are mostly made up out of friendlies and qualification matches, while those games really don't matter.

I agree. Probably as goosed as those UEFA ones. Very strange patterns in those rankings too.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Jun 21, 2010 01:18:12 pm
      Er, yes.

Any team that fails every single time with a squad that has/had Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Lampard, Rooney and Terry etc. is underperforming. Maybe coaching has something to do with it but with Capello there can be no excuses.

They could go on and qualify from their group but 0-0 v Algeria and 1-1 v USA is not good enough for their squad.

Dont care like, but the only people i feel sorry for are England fans (well, some of them because many are idiots) who want to see their country do well and have the foundation there but don't live up to it time and again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,450 posts | 8656 
      Reply #44: Jun 21, 2010 02:16:05 pm
      To be honest the only players I've seen really trying are Gerrard, Johnson, Terry and Heskey.

I said before the tournament, I didn't see England winning the World Cup and I still don't see them winning it.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #45: Jun 22, 2010 05:59:43 pm
      As an Irish guy, I have to say England have as good a squad as anyone in the tournament.
      I think if they get their tatics right, then they can beat anyone on their day.

That said they always seem to run out of luck at the wrong time.

Quick Reply