Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Germany 4-1 England (Last 16) 27th June 3pm

Read 25281 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Re: Germany v England (Last 16) 27th June 3pm
      Reply #46: Jun 24, 2010 06:57:20 pm
      Fair enough on the fullbacks, that can be debated each way but Lampard and Barry have been woeful, Lennon invisible, Milner out of ideas and the only shining light has been Gerrard.

Cacau, Klose, Gomez, Podolski or Rooney, Heskey, Crouch and Defoe? Of which have produced one goal while Podolski has two assists and a goal, Klose a goal and assist abd Cacau also scoring.

Germany have had Khedira playing superbly from the centre and pushing forward, Schweinsteiger spraying balls across the park and Muller and Ozil playing amazingly.

The only way I see England winning is if they play out of their skin and down the flanks.  

And if England are playing above average or pretty good then I fear for them because it's been dire in my view.  

To be fair mate, yesterday Milner was outstanding. Man of the match by a country mile from what I saw. Every ball he put into the box was causing problems. If they had two instinctive forwards they've had a hatful.

And Gerrard, barring the USA game has been almost invisible. Was shocking against Algeria, yes we can all blame being put on the left wing but he was still shocking. And one or two nice link ups with Rooney was about his input against Slovenia. Certainly not the Steven Gerrard I've grown up watching.

The best way to beat England though is with speed through the middle. Terry and whoever partners him have no pace. But Klose, isn't exactly lightning so they won't have to worry over him running at them. Lahm may be restricted going forward with the attacking intent of Ashley Cole, but that could also work the other way round.

Still expect Germany to win but they haven't set the world a light yet. Twatted the Aussies in the opening game but have been below par in the other two games. England have been below par in all three, even yesterday's win they were ok without excelling.

So here's to the game of the tournament. 4-2 to Germany.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #47: Jun 24, 2010 07:21:16 pm
      I'm going to stay positive regardless of sqauds and will be supporting the team. I hope the fans are as vocal as they were against Slovenia. They were immense and i'm sure the players loved it. Its the first time i've heard those mossy trumpets drowned out.

Its a cup competition, anything can happen.

COME ON ENGLAND. 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #48: Jun 24, 2010 07:48:00 pm
      England are... Gritty and determined, but don't quite have that extra bit there. I think they are one of the tougher teams in the world cup to beat, but I don't see them beating any teams either. I think the Germans will make somewhat short work of England tbh, 2-0 maybe with England never looking like scoring. I think Ozil will once again be the one to rip apart defenses... Capello should stick someone like Barry on him like glue... but I don't think he will. Like every year, English fans big up a team that is distintly average, gives everyone where I'm from a good laugh tbh :laugh:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #49: Jun 24, 2010 07:57:03 pm
      England are... Gritty and determined, but don't quite have that extra bit there. I think they are one of the tougher teams in the world cup to beat, but I don't see them beating any teams either. I think the Germans will make somewhat short work of England tbh, 2-0 maybe with England never looking like scoring. I think Ozil will once again be the one to rip apart defenses... Capello should stick someone like Barry on him like glue... but I don't think he will. Like every year, English fans big up a team that is distintly average, gives everyone where I'm from a good laugh tbh :laugh:

How can you score so many goals in qualifying and never look like scoring?

You can't. England created chance after chance after chance against Slovenia - the Germans looked suspect at the back against Ghana.

No point in the green-eyed monster rearing its ugly head, Mag.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #50: Jun 24, 2010 08:18:54 pm
      Qualifying, England looked very good indeed, especially against Croatia, but they look like a team under pressure... Maybe being underdogs agianst Germany is just what England need. And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Stevie lifting the world cup, just don't think that they'll get past the Germans who really have been impressing me going foward.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #51: Jun 24, 2010 08:29:36 pm
      If Schweinsteiger doesn't play. We'll face the weakest midfield that Germany ever had. But still we'll be defeated if any of these players started (no compliments): Carragher, King, Wright-Philips, and Heskey. Hope we'll stick with Defoe upfront and Upson in the back.
      I'm optimistic about it and believe 100% we're gonna win it.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #52: Jun 24, 2010 08:32:19 pm
      If Schweinsteiger doesn't play. We'll face the weakest midfield that Germany ever had. But still we'll be defeated if any of these players started (no compliments): Carragher, King, Wright-Philips, and Heskey. Hope we'll stick with Defoe upfront and Upson in the back.
      I'm optimistic about it and believe 100% we're gonna win it.

Wouldn't sell Toni Kroos that short, he had a very solid season at Lerkusen
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #53: Jun 24, 2010 08:33:19 pm
      Qualifying, England looked very good indeed, especially against Croatia, but they look like a team under pressure... Maybe being underdogs agianst Germany is just what England need. And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Stevie lifting the world cup, just don't think that they'll get past the Germans who really have been impressing me going foward.

We beat Germany with our reserves last year mate. They don't have an awful lot going forward at all - their biggest asset is their movement.
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 10:27:33 pm by Reslivo »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #54: Jun 24, 2010 08:40:22 pm
      If Serbia can beat them, then so can we.

No fear is the answer.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #55: Jun 24, 2010 08:46:03 pm
      As my fanimal says, if you eat pickled cabbage, you play like pickled cabbage. So England might have a chance?
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #56: Jun 24, 2010 09:31:57 pm
      England have a better chance why?

Belief, Pride and this:

John Terry block attempt - England vs Slovenia 1-0 World Cup 2010 Highlights
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #57: Jun 24, 2010 09:39:38 pm

What, a defender that cant stay on his feet?

Or are you telling me Germany, a team that reached 7 World Cup finals, do not have pride and belief?
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #58: Jun 24, 2010 09:46:26 pm
      I think they stand a decent chance of getting past Germany, Argentina is another matter. Messi Tevez and Higuain will tear Terry, Upson, Cole and Johnson to pieces
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #59: Jun 24, 2010 10:23:05 pm
      Everyone I've spoken to yesterday and today have agreed we have nothing to fear against Germany.  Ghana had so many chances, good chances to score, but fluffed the shots.  They were ripped apart several times, all our attacking players will have a field day if they give us that much space and if our attack is keeping them busy we won't need to defend  ;D

England win, easy!

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #60: Jun 24, 2010 10:27:17 pm
      Then again England could hardly beat Slovenia, drew with Algeria and USA.

:D

If I had to predict a winner, I think it would be Germany, but I prefer England to win this one.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #61: Jun 25, 2010 01:37:34 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #62: Jun 25, 2010 01:45:55 am
      Does Johnson miss this game?
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #63: Jun 25, 2010 01:49:41 am

Nope, he's only got one booking in the tournament thus far. Two bookings would be needed for a suspension, and everything is wiped clean after the round of 16.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Jun 25, 2010 01:52:30 am
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #65: Jun 25, 2010 10:53:28 am
      ^
      quality
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #66: Jun 25, 2010 12:05:56 pm
      We will most likely play better teams than Germany should we win this tie.

Germany really aren't that great.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #67: Jun 25, 2010 12:18:46 pm
      You know what, i have changed my stance on England. I now want them to go all the way, just to raise expectations really high, and then lose in the final. That would be hilarous ;).
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #68: Jun 25, 2010 12:30:41 pm
      We will most likely play better teams than Germany should we win this tie.

Germany really aren't that great.
      Yeah, after Germany comes Argentina, then likely Spain, and then Brazil or Holland in the final. At least, if no surprises happen, which always do happen.

Quick Reply