Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Roy Hodgson Targets British Players

Read 8413 times
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Roy Hodgson Targets British Players
      Jul 04, 2010 01:29:09 pm
      Roy Hodgson has revealed British players will be a top priority when it comes to bolstering Liverpool's squad this summer.

From this season, new Barclays Premier League rules mean clubs must name a 25-man squad at the end of each transfer window, which includes at least eight 'home-grown' players.

Home-grown players are defined as having been registered for at least three seasons at an England or Welsh club between the ages of 16 and 21.

"We would be foolish not to be aware of the importance of home-grown players with the way UEFA and Premier League rules are going," said the Reds new boss. "Otherwise we're going to struggle to get our squad numbers together.

"I think the club have been trying to do that already with younger players like Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling but it takes time for them to come through so we might have to go into the transfer market."

He added: "We have furnished the World Cup with more players than any other team but looking at the squad at Melwood, it did seem very small in terms of seniors."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/hodgson-targets-british-talent

So this either means he's going to inherit some of the Fulham players he had from last year, or H&G have "promised" him some money, but we all know how that ends up. Either way, I expect changes to the team under Roy's management.
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Re: Roy Hodgson Targets British Players
      Reply #1: Jul 04, 2010 01:31:22 pm
      Joe Cole please?
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #2: Jul 04, 2010 01:39:39 pm

I think that Roy will try for Cole. But it will be difficult to persuade him to leave London. On the other hand, if he fancies a change and Roy can make him feel wanted maybe the chance to play alongside Torres and Gerrard etc would appeal to Cole. There are 7/8 dead wood players we could offload the wage bill. Numbers wise we would be worse off but quality wise we would be no worse off if these players were sold. Maybe try for Stephen Warnock and Ashley Young as we need a LB and LW. Insua struggled last season and Jack Robinson is still developing. I could see cole playing off Torres. But first and foremost Hodgson has to offload the deadwood to raise some money to spend and then he can look at what will be realistic. Whoever he signs though, they have to be better than what we have and not just for cover. This may mean the building is slower, but I would rather have that than buy 3/4 average players who do not improve us.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #3: Jul 04, 2010 01:50:43 pm
      Buying British is extremely expensive and many of the better British players are out of our price range.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #4: Jul 04, 2010 01:56:35 pm
      Buying British is extremely expensive and many of the better British players are out of our price range.

I agree mate, as I said, Hodgson has to offload the dead wood first and put that together with whatever else he has in the kitty ( if anything ) and go from there. I think the priority is a left back and a striker. Cole on a free, if we could get him would be ideal, but competition will be strong. I think Roy has to try and get him none the less.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #5: Jul 04, 2010 01:58:31 pm
      I think roy should be looking at our reserves and youth and give them a shout.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Jul 04, 2010 01:58:35 pm
      Not that much dead wood IMO.

But we do need some better players into the squad.

And that probably means British players.

Ashely young & Joe Cole would be very good for our squad.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #7: Jul 04, 2010 02:00:04 pm
      Bar Joe Cole we can't afford any good English players.
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 04, 2010 02:00:48 pm
      Personally I'd use the money from the sale of Benoyoun to fund his wage bill for the time being, but I agree Roys only other issue would be whether or not he wants to move from the area his family are in. If hes willing to sacrifice that Roy is more than able to show him some 'Love' and guidance.

Other than that I don't really see many English players available to us, they're price tags being one main negative.

Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #9: Jul 04, 2010 02:22:25 pm

And that probably means British player

And that probably means British players.

Well I would consider Degen, Plessis, El Zhar, Lucas, Riera, Kyrgiakos and Kuyt as dead weight if I were the manager. Not all will agree but thats what its about. But we have the 3rd highest wage bill and a massive squad which clearly is not good enough. So I think quality and not quantity is what we need. So I expect to see the exit door pretty much open all summer to be honest. We do have some good lads in the reserves, but these have to be identified by the managment and then have confidence installed in them. As I have previously stated I would like to see these younger players ( Shelvey, Kelly, Pacheco etc ) blending with the more experienced players we have and a young vibrant team playing good football can evolve with the added experience along with them.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #10: Jul 04, 2010 02:22:27 pm
      Personally I don't think we'll get Cole. As said earlier I think he would prefer to stay in London where he's always been, and Spurs would be the perfect option for him. British players are expensive to buy, but we desperately need a left mid and a left back.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #11: Jul 04, 2010 02:27:59 pm
      Personally I don't think we'll get Cole. As said earlier I think he would prefer to stay in London where he's always been, and Spurs would be the perfect option for him. British players are expensive to buy, but we desperately need a left mid and a left back.

I agree in that I do not think we will get cole but who knows. But what we cannot do is buy average players just to give us cover. We have to buy players who are better than what we have and if that means we only buy 2 players and the budget is gone then so be it. For too long we have shipped one lot of rubbish out and replaced them with a similar number of rubbish. We have to build slowly and patience will be needed.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2010 04:41:06 pm
      This is all well and good, but there really isn't that many options that are good enough for us.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #13: Jul 04, 2010 04:49:40 pm
      This is all well and good, but there really isn't that many options that are good enough for us.

I agree so we have to go after the few that are and if we cannot get them, we do not buy. We use our academy and when someone pops up who is better and availible then we go into the market. There is no point in buying for buyings sake because you go nowhere.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #14: Jul 04, 2010 04:53:57 pm
      Well I've heard on sky sports that Hodgson is thinking about moves for Stephen Taylor from Newcastle and Ashley Young from Villa. Only speculation of course, but it goes with the topic of homegrown players.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #15: Jul 04, 2010 04:59:23 pm
      Thanks for the neg whoever gave it me. You must lead interesting and happy lives!! Yeah home grown is more important now than ever. We do not have the financial muscle but we do have a 10m academy that has not produced many 1st team players despite good performances in the youth cup etc. We need to work much harder in this aspect and get more players through. It will increase the competition at Kirkby once they see lads going to melwood and getting in the squad. I feel Kenny and Roy have to work together on this and I believe they will. I would like Ashley Young, but I think if we go in for him it will mean that we have sold a big player as he will cost 20m+ imo. But I do think that Roy will go down the british route.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16: Jul 04, 2010 05:10:31 pm
      Well I would consider Degen, Plessis, El Zhar, Lucas, Riera, Kyrgiakos and Kuyt as dead weight if I were the manager. Not all will agree but thats what its about. But we have the 3rd highest wage bill and a massive squad which clearly is not good enough. So I think quality and not quantity is what we need. So I expect to see the exit door pretty much open all summer to be honest. We do have some good lads in the reserves, but these have to be identified by the managment and then have confidence installed in them. As I have previously stated I would like to see these younger players ( Shelvey, Kelly, Pacheco etc ) blending with the more experienced players we have and a young vibrant team playing good football can evolve with the added experience along with them.

Considering that Man City, Man United & Chelsea are all known to have a higher waged bill than us and, depending on your source , so do Arsenal.  Tottenham & Aston Villa have also closed the gap in wages as well.  That leaves us 5th for starters.  As for 'deadwood' - as you put it, though I disagree with some pf your choices -getting rid of it's fine as  long as you have adequate cover/replacements coming through.  Getting rid of them without adequate cover is foolhardy at best.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #17: Jul 04, 2010 05:22:52 pm
      I'm only a fan of buying British if they are good enough, at the moment I think there is a shortage of talent in England. I think the World Cup showed this.

I hope Roy buys the best players for Liverpool whether they are British or where ever they are from.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #18: Jul 04, 2010 05:25:03 pm
      There are a few good young british players out there like Bale, Agbonlahor and Young
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #19: Jul 04, 2010 05:26:23 pm
      There are a few good young british players out there like Bale, Agbonlahor and Young

There are good british players but you certainly pay through the nose for them
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #20: Jul 04, 2010 05:27:46 pm
      But the thing is, apparently "British" players only count as English and Welsh players. What if Northern Ireland or Scotland produced a great player but under the new rules, we couldn't sign him because he would bring our number of foreign players over the mark?
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #21: Jul 04, 2010 05:28:54 pm
      Considering that Man City, Man United & Chelsea are all known to have a higher waged bill than us and, depending on your source , so do Arsenal.  Tottenham & Aston Villa have also closed the gap in wages as well.  That leaves us 5th for starters.  As for 'deadwood' - as you put it, though I disagree with some pf your choices -getting rid of it's fine as  long as you have adequate cover/replacements coming through.  Getting rid of them without adequate cover is foolhardy at best.

My source. Click on the red writing under the video as the video tells you nothing!! BBC News - Warning over Premier League wages  its a bbc wages list for the season we came 2nd. This puts us 3rd in the wages league although I am sure citeh will be catching us now. We have a massive squad that needs trimming. As for the players I named it is down to opinion isnt it and I respect your opinion. Which of those I named would you keep. Degan Plessis and El Zhar offer nothing, Lucas is nowhere near Liverpool standard, Riera just moans in the press and offers nothing on the pitch and Kuyt' 2nd touch is always a tackle. I like Dirk, but he is a striker. If Hodgson does not want to play him as a striker we may as well cash in as Maxi or babel can play on the right or even johnson. If Hodgson wants to play him upfront and work on his game, his first touch for example then keep him and strenghen somewhere else.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2010 05:34:33 pm by Don77 »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #22: Jul 04, 2010 05:32:09 pm
      Im fairly ignorant to the rule to be honest what does it say, heard a journalist saying there would be big problems enforcing any quota of players in the Italian league due to EU rules.

Going to very interesting to see how it is enforced because I think there maybe a problem if it goes through the European Courts.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #23: Jul 04, 2010 05:35:49 pm

Plessis, El Zhar, Riera

These guys yes, the rest no, they are at the very least good squad players.

Putting Kuyt in that bracket is a disgrace. The guys has more heart & soul for LFC some fans. He has been one of Holland's best players at the world cup.

And BTW. If anybody was paying attention whilst commentating at world cup, Roy said any manager would want Kuyt in their team. So he aint going anywhere.

Big Soto is good backup for the other guys.

Agreed about the youth as well. Get them more games.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #24: Jul 04, 2010 05:39:24 pm
      Plessis, El Zhar, Riera

These guys yes, the rest no, they are at the very least good squad players.

Putting Kuyt in that bracket is a disgrace. The guys has more heart & soul for LFC some fans. He has been one of Holland's best players at the world cup.

And BTW. If anybody was paying attention whilst commentating at world cup, Roy said any manager would want Kuyt in their team. So he aint going anywhere.

Big Soto is good backup for the other guys.

Agreed about the youth as well. Get them more games.

Fair enough mate. I only put Kuyt in there because I do not feel he is being played in his proper position. As I said in my post, I like Dirk and if Roy wants to play him upfront and work on his game then keep him. His work rate is excellent but he needs to work on aspects of his game. And as you say, we need to give the youth more games so its good we agree there.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #25: Jul 04, 2010 05:51:24 pm
      Sound mate. I just hate the slagging Kuyt gets when he has done so much ofr the club, played out of position, but still does it, and gives 100%.

I think he will play more up front btw. Maxi is our right winger now, and Jovanovich left side.

So already its looking better.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #26: Jul 04, 2010 05:58:54 pm
      Yeah I agree. I actually favor a 4-3-3 formation as I have posted in a different thread and I had Kuyt on the bench. He is a good lad to have in the squad and as you say he gives 100% and maybe he does not always get the credit he deserves. If we play 4-4-2 then Kuyt could play up alongside Torres. If he is going to play off Torres he needs to improve that 1st touch so it sticks when we play the ball upto him. Kuyt relies on service so if he plays up top next season we have to use the width and get good crosses over for him to attack. Nando is decent in the air to so both of them up there will give us much more of a threat in the air!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #27: Jul 04, 2010 06:48:50 pm
      I think we would be foolish to not even try and get Joe Cole. It probably won't work out as we probably wouldn't be able to pay his wage demands as even Chelsea couldn't. But, he would be a great buy.

Quite frankly, i don't mind whether we buy British or not. Arsene Wenger has the best attitude to this. He will sign the best players, regardless of their passport. I would obviously perfer British players but if the best player is of another nationality and is considerably cheaper, i would go with them. It is, however, important to take into account these new rules.

KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #28: Jul 04, 2010 06:53:20 pm
      Fair enough mate. I only put Kuyt in there because I do not feel he is being played in his proper position. As I said in my post, I like Dirk and if Roy wants to play him upfront and work on his game then keep him. His work rate is excellent but he needs to work on aspects of his game. And as you say, we need to give the youth more games so its good we agree there.

Hmm, kuyt has always played in 3 main positions - on the right, behind the striker, and as the striker.

He plays for us in his Dutch position, because he gives good cover - he started off as a right back when he was young.

So I fail to see how he is being played out of position.

It's true there is a dearth of English talent, and that you pay over the odds for mediocrity - I don't know the answer to this, but it's certainly not to trim the squad down by 3 players in order to buy 1. We have the bare bones at the moment.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #29: Jul 04, 2010 07:46:24 pm
      I would rather see some young English talent brought in (just like Shelvey and Sterling).
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #30: Jul 04, 2010 08:16:09 pm
      Hmm, kuyt has always played in 3 main positions - on the right, behind the striker, and as the striker.

He plays for us in his Dutch position, because he gives good cover - he started off as a right back when he was young.

It's true there is a dearth of English talent, and that you pay over the odds for mediocrity - I don't know the answer to this, but it's certainly not to trim the squad down by 3 players in order to buy 1. We have the bare bones at the moment.

Kuyt was bought from Holland where he had an excellent goalscoring record as a striker. So why do we play him on the right? That was the point I was trying to make but I see what you are saying!
      OptimusRobbo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 161 posts |
      Reply #31: Jul 04, 2010 09:19:51 pm
      If he targets british talent then he must atleast attempt to sign Joe Cole with no price tag clearly the best british option out there!.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #32: Jul 05, 2010 12:39:11 am
      Kuyt was bought from Holland where he had an excellent goalscoring record as a striker. So why do we play him on the right? That was the point I was trying to make but I see what you are saying!

To be fair, it's a lot easier to score in the dutch league.

We play him on the right of a forward 3 and let him rotate centrally and to the left for the same reasons the dutch national team does - because he's a good player, and he is able to do it.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #33: Jul 05, 2010 12:56:02 am
      But the thing is, apparently "British" players only count as English and Welsh players. What if Northern Ireland or Scotland produced a great player but under the new rules, we couldn't sign him because he would bring our number of foreign players over the mark?

From what I hear.. players like Stephen Ireland will count because he was borught through the ranks at City? So if the players come through the academy even if they're not from UK they count?
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #34: Jul 05, 2010 01:17:25 am
      From what I hear.. players like Stephen Ireland will count because he was borught through the ranks at City? So if the players come through the academy even if they're not from UK they count?

Pretty much - "homegrown" rule doesn't just mean english.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      Reply #35: Jul 05, 2010 01:27:20 am

Except he wouldn't count as one of our homegrown players. You need at least 4 trained at your club for three years before the age of 21, Ireland has been trained at City. So although he'd count as one of the overall 8, we'd still need four from our club.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 05, 2010 03:09:08 am
      so lets get this right... when we say homegrown developed by us... can it be the lads in the ressies??? Pacheco?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Jul 05, 2010 03:10:58 am
      so lets get this right... when we say homegrown developed by us... can it be the lads in the ressies??? Pacheco?
      Yes Pacheco counts as homegrown
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #38: Jul 05, 2010 03:12:09 am

Fantastic :D

Hoping he will be brought more times in the 1st team next season
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Jul 05, 2010 03:16:34 am
      1. Cavalieri
                                                                                            2. Johnson
      4. Aquilani
      5. Agger
                                                                                            8. Gerrard
      9. Torres
                          11. Riera
                          12. Aurelio

16. Kyrgiakos
      17. Rodriguez
      18. Kuyt
                           19. Babel
      20. Mascherano
      21. Lucas
      22. Insua
                                                                                            23. Carragher
      24. Ngog
      25. Reina
                           27. Degen
                           28. Plessis
      29. Nemeth
                           31. El Zhar
                                                                                            34. Kelly
      37. Skrtel
      40. Ayala
                                                                                             47. Pacheco
                                                                                             Darby

Ship out some of the players in the middle of this list and bring in some quality and we easily meet the requirements for the new squad limits.
      Potentially add Ince, Ngoo, Coady, JJ, Silva, Sterling
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010 03:24:52 am by racerx34 »
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #40: Jul 05, 2010 03:46:29 am

No he hasn't really, he hasn't always played in those 3 positions. His real succes in Holland came as a striker, he was never played as a right winger/midfielder or behind the striker at Feyenoord, only as the main striker. And on the right wing wasn't his dutch position, it's his Liverpool position, it became his dutch position only untill after and because it's where he is being played for us, Liverpool.  Though oddly he's being played on the left for the last 2 games for the dutch team, but that's only because Robben is just too good on the right. The only reason why Kuyt succeeds in the dutch team is because there's enough creativity already provided by other players like Robben and Sneijder. Don't get me wrong, he's great at what he does, but he's limited going forward.
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010 04:06:29 am by Dexter »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #41: Jul 05, 2010 09:09:15 pm
      Good to see Roy saying that the club needs British. THe club could do with players like Gary Cahill who would be a fantastic signing. We need British players for then future because once Gerrard and Carra go, then for a club that prided itself in posessing the finest British talent in the land decades ago, it would be really really sad. Yeah, it's a pleasure to see the likes of Torres and co playing for us and it should continue that way but we need a finer balance something that was lacking during Rafa's era. To see the club nurturing great young talent again under Hodgson would be a fine success on his part.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #42: Jul 05, 2010 09:17:58 pm
      Good to see Roy saying that the club needs British. THe club could do with players like Gary Cahill who would be a fantastic signing. We need British players for then future because once Gerrard and Carra go, then for a club that prided itself in posessing the finest British talent in the land decades ago, it would be really really sad. Yeah, it's a pleasure to see the likes of Torres and co playing for us and it should continue that way but we need a finer balance something that was lacking during Rafa's era. To see the club nurturing great young talent again under Hodgson would be a fine success on his part.

The talent wasn't there, I don't see how you can blame Rafa.  Of all the British talent that came through the youth in recent years, only one has been anywhere good enough & that was Warnock.  If we look at the state of The Academy/Ressies, Rafa has left us with an embarassment of riches and if 1 or 2 make it as 1st team regulars, that will be a success, 3-4 will be brilliant, any more would be astounding.  Youth is a risk.  Look around, very few players make it through the youths, all the way through to the first team any more & the ones that do are usually 'poached' off other teams.  I've got high hopes for half a dozen of the kids that Rafa has left us and another half a dozen have potential and at the very least, their sales could help pay to keep The Academy running.  2-3 players for the squad every 5-6 years, 1 of those a regular would be a good turn over, especially if we can sell half a dozen or so at a profit, as I said before, to help with running costs.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Jul 06, 2010 12:51:30 am
      If its british players were after I would expect more signings in the way of Shelvey, Ince, Wisdom and Coady not established stars that are in the 10 million plus bracket
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #44: Jul 06, 2010 01:24:05 am
      I think the Germans are doing very well in the world cup. Probably they understand what their roles are. Their wage bill wouldn't be as big as the other teams in relative terms. Who's their superstar. Unfortunately I think this year Roy has been brought in to make sure we don't sink. I don't think he's been brought in to take us to the next level. Buying english players is being done at youth level. It's cheaper and you can afford to make some mistakes. If you say "but we have to give them a chance". Well we will use them because the rules will dictate this. If Roy says we will buy british it is because this is the PR spin meant to keep everyone happy. We will have to buy some british won't we. Those who scream "buy british" whilst also screaming "play like Arsenal" see if these statements are compatible. I think my overall points are these.
      The team is the most important thing, the style etc the galacticos mentality is a marketing strategy. Secondly; If our club were trying to continue the work already done and fine tune the squad, upgrade what they see as deficiencies in playing style etc, they wouldn't have brought in Hodgson would they. They are trying to sell us hopefully and everything they do is engineered to this end. No publicised infighting.
      They will probably sell the club for less than the asking price because they will take the sale value of our best assets of the original figure.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #45: Jul 06, 2010 02:06:56 am
      In a normal footballing world,I see nothing wrong with a manager buying British players,to eventually mould into a team.It's worked in the past for us,we've bought sometimes un-fashionable,English,Irish,Welsh and overseas players,that have come together to astound the footballing world.Our success is built on this.Unfortunately nowadays,instant success is demanded,so clubs are forced to "buy" instant success.This inevitably requires buying the best players available at the time from around the world,this requires financial backing.Regretably we have lost one of the few men who could do this on a "sell before buy" strategy.So now we are faced with a situation where our new manager is trying to compete with other "free-spending clubs",who have already spent more than double his total transfer budget on one single player,when arguably we need at least 4 players of the same quality to compete?I respect Roy the man,because who else would undertake this no win challenge?
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #46: Jul 06, 2010 02:46:12 am
      I would rather see some young English talent brought in (just like Shelvey and Sterling).
      Exactly!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #47: Jul 06, 2010 03:17:22 am
      So our ambitions are a top 4 place,and you expect it with the likes of Shelvey.Time to get a grip.Our Ressies are foll of potential stars,but they need to develop
      Jobo_El
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -14 
      Reply #48: Jul 06, 2010 11:01:56 am

In light of the new ruling regarding home grown players, how about Danny Murphy?

I watched him last season against United and he absolutely ran the show and it wasn't a one off. 

Dare I say it, he is becoming more and more like Gary McAllister every year (and I'm not referring to his hairline).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,238 posts | 8574 
      Reply #49: Jul 06, 2010 11:10:38 am
      In light of the new ruling regarding home grown players, how about Danny Murphy?

I watched him last season against United and he absolutely ran the show and it wasn't a one off.  

Dare I say it, he is becoming more and more like Gary McAllister every year (and I'm not referring to his hairline).

How about not!!

Danny was an ok midfielder, but hardly world class, was replaced with a real world class player back in 2004, now rather than trying to improve the team, you want to go back and re-sign a player who is no better than we have now and we have plenty of central midfielders.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #50: Jul 06, 2010 11:27:00 am
      British players mostly are over-rated and over-priced.

Milner - £30m....for a hard working carthorse.

And we only want £30m for Mash....off topic I know but kinda proves my point.

liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #51: Jul 06, 2010 12:47:47 pm
      British players mostly are over-rated and over-priced.

Milner - £30m....for a hard working carthorse.

And we only want £30m for Mash....off topic I know but kinda proves my point.

to be fair milner is only quoted at 30m because man city want him!
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #52: Jul 06, 2010 01:30:04 pm
      So what British players would you take?
      Or who do you think we could afford/actually get?
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #53: Jul 06, 2010 01:33:57 pm
      to be fair milner is only quoted at 30m because man city want him!

And thats my point - over-rated and over priced.

If we went in for say Scott Parker he would be quoted around £10m, Gary Cahill £15m, Carlton Cole was quoted at £12m at the end of last season.....too much for players who are average at best.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #54: Jul 06, 2010 02:28:11 pm
      Roy Hodgson has revealed British players will be a top priority when it comes to bolstering Liverpool's squad this summer.
      Excellent news.

I'm sure we're all aware how United and Chelsea really reached the heights of the Premier League with all their British players.

And who could forget England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland's terrific World Cup campaigns.

I'm fairly sure the players clean their own boots these days.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #55: Jul 06, 2010 02:33:25 pm
      Excellent news.

I'm sure we're all aware how United and Chelsea really reached the heights of the Premier League with all their British players.

And who could forget England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland's terrific World Cup campaigns.

Very dry as always - made me laugh that...!!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #56: Jul 06, 2010 03:52:23 pm

We have a massive squad that needs trimming. As for the players I named it is down to opinion isnt it and I respect your opinion. Which of those I named would you keep. Degan Plessis and El Zhar offer nothing, Lucas is nowhere near Liverpool standard, Riera just moans in the press and offers nothing on the pitch and Kuyt' 2nd touch is always a tackle. I like Dirk, but he is a striker. If Hodgson does not want to play him as a striker we may as well cash in as Maxi or babel can play on the right or even johnson. If Hodgson wants to play him upfront and work on his game, his first touch for example then keep him and strenghen somewhere else.

Woh, hold up their, all the players you mention some should go like Deagan and Pessis(to lightweight)not sure about El Zhar, but I don't agree about Lucas, if we are to function this season we need a holding player of his quality, yes I did say quality, it's just he's 23 and still learning, this year just could be his year so I would definitely give Lucas a little more time. Riera has shot his bolt and for all his quality he must go. Now the one you don't mind moving on is kuyt, a bad mistake that in anyone's language take Kuyt away from this team and then watch us function we'll end up looking like a one legged team. Kuyt gives us energy and yes I know his second touch isn't always the best but his first touch is sometimes very good and how many times has he scored the goal that matters, and why, because he hates losing and someone like that in your team is priceless. I like seeing Kuyt in midfield that way he covers more and he's so good at box to box, he gets everywhere and a guy like that you let go at your own peril, and you know your team will be haunted by such a mistake.
      Jobo_El
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -14 
      Reply #57: Jul 06, 2010 04:25:48 pm
      How about not!!

Danny was an ok midfielder, but hardly world class, was replaced with a real world class player back in 2004, now rather than trying to improve the team, you want to go back and re-sign a player who is no better than we have now and we have plenty of central midfielders.

no better than we have now??

Benayoun is gone, we're still stuck with Lucas, Aquilani can't cut it, Kuyt is not good enough... I think Murphy would be a better option than every single one of those and they will probably be our regular starters for next season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #58: Jul 06, 2010 04:41:35 pm
      Excellent news.

It's all about encouraging them and supporting them. England is in a brilliant position to take advantage of its youth but the Premier League don't care about young English talent. And why do we have useless cack like Degan, Plessis and El Zhar when those places could go to young British players who I'm sure we'd all agree could do a better job than the players mentioned.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #59: Jul 06, 2010 04:43:37 pm

Benayoun is gone, we're still stuck with Lucas, Aquilani can't cut it, Kuyt is not good enough... I think Murphy would be a better option than every single one of those and they will probably be our regular starters for next season.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if they are wrong. I disagree with you about two of those players and the other one, as far as I'm concerned is on a par with Murphy.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #60: Jul 06, 2010 04:43:52 pm
      Didn't read them all.  But I believe insua classes as homegrown or very soon classed as homegrown.  His been with us for years.

We need to pull a arsenal, buy a bunch of talent from abroard.  You get them at 18 and younger, then at 21 they will be homegrown. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #61: Jul 06, 2010 04:47:08 pm

You jest of course....caught sight of your karma tho and you're probably serious.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #62: Jul 06, 2010 04:50:09 pm
      If you're trained at a club for 3 years before 21 years old, you can be classified as home grown. I think Insua turns 21 this year and he was already with us since he was 18. Cesc Fabregas is classified as home grown since moving to Arsenal at 16.

I actually think having British players would do good for the club. It would be even better if they all came through the academy. For example, Barcelona's team consists of players that came through their academy. Only thing is, there are probably not many good British players at the moment. Even if there were any, they are probably overpriced.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #63: Jul 07, 2010 02:36:58 am
      I actually think having British players would do good for the club. It would be even better if they all came through the academy. For example, Barcelona's team consists of players that came through their academy. Only thing is, there are probably not many good British players at the moment. Even if there were any, they are probably overpriced.
      A club creates youth to some extend, there's plenty of talent in any country but you need to scout and mould them. Barcelona don't produce these creative technical players by accident, it's because every single one of their teams from the youth up plays creative technical attacking football in similar formations, and their training is focussed on that too. They're doing the same as what Ajax used to do. Not a surprise Cruyff has been heavily involved in both of their academies. You're not going to produce players like Iniesta, Sneijder or even Ozil unless you create an environment where players are inspired to be creative.
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2010 02:49:52 am by Dexter »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #64: Jul 07, 2010 11:17:30 am
      Home-grown players are defined as having been registered for at least three seasons at an England or Welsh club between the ages of 16 and 21.

This whole, ill-conceived, home-grown rule baffles the F***ing b'jaysus out of me.  :-\

Let's look at young Jack Robinson, for example: English born, but because he's only 17 in September and hasn't been registered for at least three seasons isn't home-grown. What the F**k?

What Roy is saying is that he would like as many of that 25 man squad to be over 21. To do this he needs more "senior", home-grown players. How the F**k that encourages youth development, i don't know.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #65: Jul 07, 2010 03:56:31 pm
      This whole, ill-conceived, home-grown rule baffles the F***ing b'jaysus out of me.  :-\

Let's look at young Jack Robinson, for example: English born, but because he's only 17 in September and hasn't been registered for at least three seasons isn't home-grown. What the F**k?

What Roy is saying is that he would like as many of that 25 man squad to be over 21. To do this he needs more "senior", home-grown players. How the F**k that encourages youth development, i don't know.

There is another part of the rules that deals with this, you can have as many players as you want under the age of 21.  They don't need to be registered as part of the squad in the same way.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #66: Jul 07, 2010 11:37:22 pm
      Fair play Bubba i see your point, but yeh there is that Roddenberry, that's on FM ;)

Which Brit's would you take?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #67: Jul 08, 2010 12:44:06 am
      Roy Hodgson Targets British Players!! Crazy b***ard! quick, someone phone the fuzz :f_tongueincheek:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #68: Jul 08, 2010 10:43:56 am
      There is another part of the rules that deals with this, you can have as many players as you want under the age of 21.  They don't need to be registered as part of the squad in the same way.

Yeah 'berry, i know.  :-\

I was just pointing out that Jack, for example, can't be considered home-grown and therefore (instead of adding him to the 25) we must look to buy someone who is. Now just how that encourages "youth development" F**k only knows.

I'll explain my point another way: if Jack was allowed to be included in the 25 we could spend what little we have on a "foreign" player who wasn't over-priced but every bit as talented as an English/home-grown player. I really couldn't give a flying F**k if Eng-er-land win the 2022 World Cup to be honest.

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010 10:52:57 am by bad boy bubby »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,238 posts | 8574 
      Reply #69: Jul 08, 2010 01:35:02 pm
      So what part of Britain is that Maynor Figueroa from then?
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010 02:35:29 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #70: Jul 08, 2010 01:47:27 pm
      Yeah 'berry, i know.  :-\

I was just pointing out that Jack, for example, can't be considered home-grown and therefore (instead of adding him to the 25) we must look to buy someone who is. Now just how that encourages "youth development" F**k only knows.

I'll explain my point another way: if Jack was allowed to be included in the 25 we could spend what little we have on a "foreign" player who wasn't over-priced but every bit as talented as an English/home-grown player. I really couldn't give a flying F**k if Eng-er-land win the 2022 World Cup to be honest.

It encourages youth because you've still got to have these players in your squad.  The real problem with this though, in my opinion, is it's going to make clubs put unreasonable prices for & put so much unneeded pressure & expectations on players that are no more than prospects.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #71: Jul 08, 2010 02:34:42 pm
      So what part of Britian is that Maynor Figueroa from then?

I am sure he could get an Irish passport. They are giving it out to anyone these day. All we have to do is say he has an "Irish Granny". Its part of the British Isles.  ;)
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #72: Jul 08, 2010 03:04:32 pm
      So what part of Britian is that Maynor Figueroa from then?

East Ham.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #73: Jul 08, 2010 03:11:37 pm
      I am sure he could get an Irish passport. They are giving it out to anyone these day. All we have to do is say he has an "Irish Granny". Its part of the British Isles.  ;)

No we draw the line at Wigan players we only give them to Mossad hit squads and Russian spies God we have some standards.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #74: Jul 09, 2010 12:17:19 pm
      just an interesting piece i have read

OFF THE FENCE: Liverpool FC should re-sign Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy
      Jul 9 2010 by Ben Thornley, Daily Post

WITH Roy Hodgson seeking signings to take Liverpool forward this summer, the first place he should look is to the club’s recent past.

If it’s relatively cheap, experienced British players who understand what it means to play for the Reds, Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy tick all of the boxes.

Selling both men represented two of Rafa Benitez’s biggest blunders in the transfer market, their exits contributing to Liverpool’s current striker shortfall.

Hodgson now has the chance to right Benitez’s wrongs.

Adding to his depth of forward talent will be among the former Fulham boss’ priorities, and at around £6m a man Crouch and Bellamy wouldn’t eat up too much of his budget.

Selling flop Ryan Babel, who was purchased with the money from the sale of Bellamy to West Ham, alone would finance the transfers.

Their arrivals would also go some way towards convincing Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay at Anfield.

Reds supporters never got to see the best of the under-used Wales captain during his brief stay in the 2006/07 season.

But he was among the Premier League’s outstanding players on Manchester City’s left wing last season, a role he could excel in at Anfield, supporting Torres or providing back-up to the injury-prone Spaniard.

Given the 30-year-old’s own struggles with fitness, he also would be happy to be rotated and has ruled himself out of international friendlies to concentrate on his club career.

Despite the infamous Barcelona altercation with John Arne Riise and a golf club, the Welshman was a popular figure at Anfield – as was Crouch.

With the loss of the 6ft 7 England man, Liverpool lost a Plan B, but Crouch would offer far more than that to Hodgson.

A proven goalscorer with a delightful touch, he formed a great understanding with Gerrard, with the Liverpool skipper singling him out for special praise in his autobiography.

While a similar relationship with Torres was never allowed the chance to flourish, on the few occasions the two men did play together goals almost always flowed.

Hopefully, though, that partnership will get a second chance next season.

l THE way Kenny Dalglish was treated in Liverpool’s search for a new manager this summer highlights how little the men running Anfield understand the club, its fans and history.

When Chelsea-supporting, one-day-a-week chairman Martin Broughton insisted last Thursday that Dalglish had never been a candidate for the job it felt like a public rebuke for the Reds’ greatest living figure.

The Scot deserved much better.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #75: Jul 09, 2010 12:20:12 pm
      Wouldn't mind to be honest
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #76: Jul 09, 2010 12:59:47 pm

Or did you mean Eastham?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #77: Jul 09, 2010 01:08:37 pm
      Would like Crouch back, But would he come back, he has champions league Footi at Spurs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #78: Jul 09, 2010 01:10:14 pm
      I am sure he could get an Irish passport. They are giving it out to anyone these day. All we have to do is say he has an "Irish Granny". Its part of the British Isles.  ;)

Nice idea Semple but the new rules only cover England and Wales so Scottish or Irish players are considered as "foreigners".

Quick Reply