Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The best book you have read recently

Read 152633 times
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Re: The best book you have read recently
      Reply #690: Nov 19, 2012 11:01:50 pm
      Gypsy Boy (AB)By Mikey Walsh.Some insight into the world of travellers this.Very powerful.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #691: Dec 29, 2012 07:40:23 am
      Didi hammans autobiography ;D funny and insightfull.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #692: Dec 29, 2012 12:17:53 pm
      Started reading some very old Star Trek novels, plus the Jack Reacher & Kathy Reichs' Bones books from the start.  Whilst in no way the greatest of literature ever written, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them, especially the Trek books which really do capture the spirit of the original series.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #693: Dec 31, 2012 01:18:44 am
      Started reading some very old Star Trek novels, plus the Jack Reacher & Kathy Reichs' Bones books from the start.  Whilst in no way the greatest of literature ever written, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them, especially the Trek books which really do capture the spirit of the original series.
      Been reading the Reacher novels myself for a while now, never realised there was so many of them!

Recently saw the film aswell and it was good for what it was, book is better though, as they always are. Film is based on the book called 'One Shot'.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #694: Jan 02, 2013 01:25:30 pm
      Read "Brilliant Orange: the neurotic genius of Dutch football" by David Winner while traveling during these last few days near New Years Eve.

It's an absolutely brilliant read, very profound analysis of Dutch football and its perceived characteristics, leading with subjects such as Holland's history, WWII, pop culture, literature, architecture, arts, psychology, etc. Sports writing at its best.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #695: Jan 03, 2013 01:33:22 am
      Just finished 66 Degrees North by Michael Ridpath.

Great read and the second in his Fire and Ice series about the detective Magnus Jonson.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #696: Jan 04, 2013 09:56:08 pm
      Gypsy Boy (AB)By Mikey Walsh.Some insight into the world of travellers this.Very powerful.

Just got this on my Nook on the back of your recommend so if its sh*te I'll blame you :).
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #697: Jan 08, 2013 06:47:53 pm
      Well, a good few chapters in to the book (Gypsy Boy) and well, I wasn't expecting this anyway.

Very harrowing and difficult to read but brilliantly written and it has that way of making you want to read on whilst having an effect on you.

Unbelievable that it is a true story.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #698: Jan 08, 2013 08:27:33 pm
      Well, a good few chapters in to the book (Gypsy Boy) and well, I wasn't expecting this anyway.

Very harrowing and difficult to read but brilliantly written and it has that way of making you want to read on whilst having an effect on you.

Unbelievable that it is a true story.

I bought Gypsy Boy in a bookstore in London Heathrow Airport while I waited for my flight back home, the last time I've been in England.

It wasn't the only book I bought though and I ended up choosing a different one to read during the flight, so I still haven't touched it.

Might give it a try when I have the time!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #699: Jan 12, 2013 08:37:31 am
      Might give it a try when I have the time!

Its worth a try mate.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #700: Jan 16, 2013 08:14:58 pm
      Just finished the last game of thrones/song of fire and ice book. Been reading thre buggers for the last 8 months and i'm a bit lost now i've finished em to be honest. And apparently it'll still be another 3 years till he finishes the next one the bugger! Been bought/lent a few other books but can't bring myself to look at em.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #701: Jan 16, 2013 08:57:24 pm
      Reading Shaun Ryder's autobiography and its a brilliant read.

Does it get better as it goes on? I was never a fan but thought I'd give this a try after your recommendations. I'm only about 15% of the way through it so far and pretty much all of that has been filled with names of people he knew as a kid and stories about the areas he lived in. The only part that really amused me was when he was talking about the keyboard "player" and the fact that he couldn't actually play a thing!
      Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating the book, I was just wondering if you felt the same about the slow start and whether it builds up later or is it more a book for the fans? I'll still read it either way.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #702: Jan 16, 2013 09:12:25 pm

Think I've only got the latest Reacher book to read, I really enjoy them.  Read all of Kathy Reichs' books too.  There is a similar author who writes about a female assistant DA but I can't think of her name right now.  Good story lines though.

I had "A Street Cat Named Bob" for christmas, a true story and a heart-warming one as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #703: Jan 16, 2013 09:24:26 pm
      Read "Brilliant Orange: the neurotic genius of Dutch football" by David Winner while traveling during these last few days near New Years Eve.

It's an absolutely brilliant read, very profound analysis of Dutch football and its perceived characteristics, leading with subjects such as Holland's history, WWII, pop culture, literature, architecture, arts, psychology, etc. Sports writing at its best.

Read that book last summer. One of the best books I've ever read and definitely the best sports book I've ever read. His study of Dutch art, mentality and general culture and applying it to the football was brilliant. Great book.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #704: Jan 18, 2013 07:39:06 am
      or is it more a book for the fans?

Maybe that Rep.

I think I liked it because I could relate to him a bit and thought he was a bit crazy. If you aren't in to it by the half way point you're not going too.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #705: Jan 19, 2013 09:02:44 pm
      Maybe that Rep.

I think I liked it because I could relate to him a bit and thought he was a bit crazy. If you aren't in to it by the half way point you're not going too.

Terrible grammer ^^

Has anybody read The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky? Got it on my Nook but not sure whether to go with it.

Read "Brilliant Orange: the neurotic genius of Dutch football" by David Winner

Had a look for this online (Nook website) and couldn't find it. Totally new to the whole e-reading thing so don't know where to look if the Nook website doesn't have what I want.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #706: Jan 19, 2013 09:10:59 pm
      Should have got Kindle mate. ;)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #707: Jan 19, 2013 10:49:06 pm

The Nook is fine to be honest mate, handy glowlight so I can read in bed that. Just not sure where's best to get stuff for it. Bitlord came in handy but it downloaded about 100 and about 10 of them were worth it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #708: Jan 20, 2013 01:10:10 am
      Just finished The Colour Of Magic, the first in the Discworld series.  It's heavy going in places, but it clearly has something about it and I know the writing gets more finessed with the later books.  The world creation is vivid and wonderful, some of the character work less so, not a place for someone to start with Pratchett unless they're willing to wade through this first novel.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #709: Jan 26, 2013 06:58:48 pm

Great great book I agree. One of the very best football books ever written.
      Dizzy Munchkin
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 538 posts | 17 
      Reply #710: Jan 28, 2013 06:58:02 pm
      Just finished Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher)- Lee Child read most of his books, as well as most of Kathy Reichs if you  like these authors I can recommend reading books by Jefferson Bass & Tess Gerritsen (the TV show Rizolli & Isles is based on her books) ,Stephen Leather & Barry Eisler.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #711: Feb 21, 2013 12:30:39 am
      Just finished The Colour Of Magic, the first in the Discworld series.  It's heavy going in places, but it clearly has something about it and I know the writing gets more finessed with the later books.  The world creation is vivid and wonderful, some of the character work less so, not a place for someone to start with Pratchett unless they're willing to wade through this first novel.

Mate I've been reading Pratchett for 20 years. They are quite simply the funniest books i've ever read, I've never read another author who can make me laugh like Pratchett (it drives the mrs crazy). The early books are a bit heavy going and to be honest, you need not read them all, particularly the first 2 Rincewind books. My favourites are the books starring the guards (there are 5-6 of these at least) and would suggest you read "Guards, Guards, Guards" which is the first of the series. If you want any other suggestions on Pratchett give me a shout, he's my favourite author by far.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #712: Feb 21, 2013 01:44:11 am
      Mate I've been reading Pratchett for 20 years. They are quite simply the funniest books i've ever read, I've never read another author who can make me laugh like Pratchett (it drives the mrs crazy). The early books are a bit heavy going and to be honest, you need not read them all, particularly the first 2 Rincewind books. My favourites are the books starring the guards (there are 5-6 of these at least) and would suggest you read "Guards, Guards, Guards" which is the first of the series. If you want any other suggestions on Pratchett give me a shout, he's my favourite author by far.

Read a fair few, just randomly, just thought I'd start at the beginning to read them all, though I have also picked up a couple of his 'kids' books and am currently enthralled in The Bromeliad.

Quick Reply