Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (8.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (16.2%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (12.4%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (31.9%)
      David Ngog
      (21.1%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (2.7%)

Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal: In-game & post match...seriously? Again!?

Read 47900 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Re: Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal: In-game & post match...seriously? Again!?
      Reply #575: Aug 16, 2010 11:00:09 pm
      Jeeessss, came on here to read about the match and get a lesson in croatian spelling. Or perhaps I've gone fooking mad :ernie:
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #576: Aug 17, 2010 01:25:54 am
      Finally watched the match and your lot deserved all 3 points , our goal was comical and in the 91st minute to boot .
      Coles tackle was horrible and i think it was a fair sending off , he could've really hurt the lad and we have had our fair share of horrific injuries to our players from poorly timed or just downright dangerous tackles .
      Ngogs goal was a fucken pearler ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #577: Aug 17, 2010 01:27:35 am
      Finally watched the match and your lot deserved all 3 points , our goal was comical and in the 91st minute to boot .
      Coles tackle was horrible and i think it was a fair sending off , he could've really hurt the lad and we have had our fair share of horrific injuries to our players from poorly timed or just downright dangerous tackles .
      Ngogs goal was a fucken pearler ;)

You must think that Rosicky should have been sent off then, his tackle on Gerrard was far worse than Cole's one on Koscielny.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #578: Aug 17, 2010 01:44:08 am
      You must think that Rosicky should have been sent off then, his tackle on Gerrard was far worse than Cole's one on Koscielny.

I honestly didn't see it mate , i must've been at the fridge or out the back garden havin a smoke ;)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #579: Aug 17, 2010 01:46:28 am
      It's alt+0263 but these message boards are in a font that doesn't support the ć symbol (BLATANT RACISM :P).  You have one in your name and you learn the hotkey soon enough.

Alternately, you could be awesome like me and get one of these:

One day when I become manager of LFC and I start exploiting the Croatian market, it will come in handy ;D

Also, heroic effort from Danny Agger.  Pleased with the decision to get him on my shirt once the cu*ts leave.

edit: Yes they do, yay for multiculturalism.  alt+0263 then pressing space seems to work :O

Haha where did you get that keyboard man?? Did you have it shipped from Cro??

Could use one myself.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #580: Aug 17, 2010 01:47:47 am
      I have just realised how the F**k is Steven Gerrard not on the MOTM candidates at the top of the page?

He was immense!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #581: Aug 17, 2010 10:49:19 am
      I think it is a joke people slating Johnson defensive side of the game yesterday, he was excellant like all our defenders.

He had Ashvain in his pocket. This is the same Ashvain that ran riot on Arbeloa a couple of seasons ago.

He was good yeah, but at the same time he did make a couple mistakes at the end that eventually led to the goal.

It's a joke how much you defend Johnson so much when you slate Lucas so much IMO. I am quite a fan of Johnson, don't get me wrong, but his game aint perfect - Sunday was no exception.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #582: Aug 17, 2010 10:52:50 am
      He was good yeah, but at the same time he did make a couple mistakes at the end that eventually led to the goal.

It's a joke how much you defend Johnson so much when you slate Lucas so much IMO. I am quite a fan of Johnson, don't get me wrong, but his game aint perfect - Sunday was no exception.

Still don't know why he didn't just hoof it up the pitch rather than out for a throw. Had plenty of time
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #583: Aug 17, 2010 11:08:02 am
      Still don't know why he didn't just hoof it up the pitch rather than out for a throw. Had plenty of time

EXACTLY what came to mind when i read corbally's post. He had plenty of time to clear it or even look for a pass, but just kept the pressure on us by knocking it out right there. Now im no expert, but the times i have played, which was mostly in defense and sometimes right-back as well - i never knocked it out unless i had absolutely no choice, always went up field. Best way to go, always.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #584: Aug 17, 2010 11:17:49 am
      And Dirk looked at him like 'Why did you do that?'. Just plain odd.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #585: Aug 17, 2010 02:54:41 pm
      Yeah, talking about Kuyt, he shouldered some defensive responsibilities towards the end of the game. But he should have moved nearer to the Arsenal player whipping the ball in, he was a few yards off and unable to block. That being the case it's as good as he's not there. That has happened many times before in other games, hope that Roy sees that and rectify it and makes Dirk defensive efforts more effective. But overall tremendous effort from Kuyt and no complaints at all. 
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #586: Aug 17, 2010 02:59:46 pm
      Quick match round up - we were far to weak and gave them too much space first half, cole got sent off which regardless of whether it was a red or not, was pretty needless. Down to 10 men and we looked like the liverpool of old, fighting back, against the odds and wont be beaten. Ngog was poor but his goal was great, thought Mascherano amongst many had a great game but regardless him wanting to go he still have everything he had. Jovanavic was class, Kuyt was better second half. Atmosphere was great, but that never say die attitude was there again, made me look forward to the season ever so much more.

YNWA Lads proud of you
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #587: Aug 17, 2010 03:04:46 pm
      For those interested:

Despite being down to 10 men for the majority of the match following Joe Cole’s red card, Liverpool nearly managed to hold on for all three points had it not been for a Pepe Reina howler in the closing minutes. The Reds displayed much resilience at the back, making 30 tackles during the game; which was more than any other side in the opening weekend of action. As you will see from the graphic, many of Liverpool’s tackles were made in and around 20-30 yards from their goal, in a valiant attempt to stop the Gunners’ midfield from creating chances. Steven Gerrard alone make 8 tackles, which was more than any other player this weekend.

Worth noting is Johnson forcing Arshavin out wide down the right, Skrtel closing down Nasri especially and Gerrard's backtracking.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010 03:14:19 pm by vitez »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #588: Aug 17, 2010 04:55:01 pm
      I defend the lad because he had a good game and was strong defensively against one of the best attackers in England, and yet people still critize him.

Ya he should have got rid of the ball but I thought other than that he was excellant don't know what couple of mistakes you are talking about YNWA.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #589: Aug 18, 2010 08:02:57 am
      Arshavin forced wide? Please, he was running around the middle/and the channel between Glen and Carra all game but nothing worked for him. He was never forced wide. I watched a full replay of the game last night and didn't see Arshavin run at Glen all game except for once in the first half in which he skipped past him after cutting inside and shot wide.

Not to mention Vermaelen had two free headers in the box from crosses thanks to Glen - one in the dying minutes.

He made some good tackles up field, but still some heart in mouth moments. Brilliant attacking play, though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #590: Aug 18, 2010 12:21:57 pm
      Johnsons had Arshavin in his pocket it is as simple as that, the heart in your mouth moments crouch when exactly was that. If Johnson keeps playing like that he will easily be the best right back in England this season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #591: Aug 18, 2010 12:45:05 pm
      Johnsons had Arshavin in his pocket it is as simple as that, the heart in your mouth moments crouch when exactly was that. If Johnson keeps playing like that he will easily be the best right back in England this season.
      He was the best left back in the country last season so I fully expect that to continue.
      He is a wing back and as such was bought for bringing more to our attacking side.
      Kuyt or Maxi should cover him on the overlap when needed
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #592: Aug 18, 2010 03:40:58 pm

Arshavin didn't run close to his pockets for him to be in there.

Heart in mouth? Vermaelen's two headers in which on another day would of been 2 goals. They weren't, fortunately, but they were very good opportunities that he would of been disappointed not hitting the target with.

He got nutmegged by Arshavin in the second half in which led to a chance for Walcott, i think it was.

He was scrappy in defence, excellent in attack. But he is there as a right back in the team and his ineptitude at doing some basics really doesn't warrant an 18m price tag.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #593: Aug 18, 2010 03:46:59 pm
      He was the best left back in the country last season so I fully expect that to continue.
      He is a wing back and as such was bought for bringing more to our attacking side.
      Kuyt or Maxi should cover him on the overlap when needed

So that's where it all went wrong for Rafa - he was playing Johnson at RIGHT back, when he is a LEFT back ...
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #594: Aug 18, 2010 04:12:11 pm
      Highly attacking fullbacks (such as Glen Johnson) are vital to the success of the Liverpool system.  We don't have an out and out winger, wingers in general are becoming far less and less popular due to the fact that if they're not technically proficient enough to play a more central role when need be, than they are very limited in their contribution to the team.  He provides our width, crosses and wide passing options down the right flank (better than Kuyt does anyhow) and offers decent cover in defence.  When he surges forward, we have 1 or 2 defensive midfielders to ensure there isn't a quick counter against us if we're caught out.

The fullback is the only position on the pitch that generally has space in front of them at all times, so having one that can dribble, pass and cross very well is extraordinarily handy.  Now I know you're saying but he's a right back so his primary concern should be to defend.  Enter the defensive midfielder, surely midfielders are supposed to contribute to a little bit of attack and a little bit of defence?  Mascherano simply doesn't contribute to attack, because our fullbacks do.  Think of Mascherano as a defender and Glen Johnson as a midfielder.  I know that sounds stupid, but so did a lot of things before they became the norm.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #595: Aug 18, 2010 04:30:16 pm
      You are seriously taking the piss right?. If not I suggest you start attending primary school instead of bunking off sir.

Did you actually neg me for that?
      I was clearly taking the piss, lighten up.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #596: Aug 18, 2010 04:37:54 pm
      Hopefully Roy will prove me right. . . :P or was it left. Pedantic fook or was it f*ck
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010 10:09:55 pm by racerx34 »
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #597: Aug 18, 2010 04:50:11 pm

I agree, I actually thought he did a very good job defensively on the day and obviously his attack was there too.

Quick Reply