Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (8.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (16.2%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (12.4%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (31.9%)
      David Ngog
      (21.1%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (2.7%)

Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal: In-game & post match...seriously? Again!?

Read 48122 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal: In-game & post match...seriously? Again!?
      Reply #483: Aug 15, 2010 10:29:06 pm
      2 f**king clowns on MOTD how was it defo a sending off, f**king ridiculous.

On the stupid basis of "both feet were off the ground" probably
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #484: Aug 15, 2010 10:30:29 pm
      Good result considering a man down (or two if you count Agger) but gutted not to have got the 3 points and put our noses infront of Arsenal, Man City and Tottenham. 

Happy if by the time we face Man U, we've won our next games. Man City will be tough but best time to meet them so early on.

joe hart will be a tough not for sure
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #485: Aug 15, 2010 10:30:56 pm
      Wilshire should have gone as well then, you see tackles like that every game in the Premiership go unpunished.

On another thing I hope Masch is still here for the City game game.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #486: Aug 15, 2010 10:32:52 pm
      Wilshire should have gone as well then, you see tackles like that every game in the Premiership go unpunished.

On another thing I hope Masch is still here for the City game game.

Thats true see what he did in mid week against hungary? He got a yellow card for a high kick from his first touch of the game.

Cheeky f**ker!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #487: Aug 15, 2010 10:41:32 pm
      I thought the game was pretty much deserved of the result. Was gutted for Cole and Pepe but you just have to get one with it.

I was pleased with our attitude, even though there's still uneven patches of fitness through the team.

We'll get better and better soon I think.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #488: Aug 15, 2010 10:54:23 pm
      Would have took a point pre kick off dissapointed not to have all 3 at full time. 10 men and a 1 off Pepe howler
      plus Nando only getting a few minutes to stretch his legs against a top 4 side and what more could we ask for?

What a finish from N'Gog , who most here had written off!! Jova looks likie a red, 100%er cant ask for more!

Some serious Roy doubters here I hope the fact we went for it with 10 men makes some think again, I know some here will never be happy, but give it a chance there was a few positives today
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #489: Aug 15, 2010 10:55:31 pm
      Just seen the highlights.

By looks of it - probably a fair result.

I don't think it was a sending off, though. Certainly shouldn't warrant a three match ban anyway.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #490: Aug 15, 2010 10:57:10 pm
      Not long got home from the match- what an atmosphere! Now thats more like it! (sore throat!)

I thought pretty much the whole team played brilliantly- good attitude, fantastic effort- some nice football!

Joe Cole should have at the very most seen yellow- If the little bi*ch didnt throw himself on the floor and start rolling around like he had been kicked in the F***ing face- the ref would have made the right decision.
      But amazingly i put more of the blame on the player than the ref- you see Joe going in for the tackle, you see the Arsenal player and think he is genuinly hurt by his reaction & think the worst.
      I thought a few of the Arsenal players today went down way to eaisly.

What can i say about the equaliser? Pepe was gutted- you could see it in his face, we were on track to win our first game of the season, with a clean sheet, against a big team.
      But hey, happens to the best of us right? I mean when Carra scores an og, we forgive him- because of the amount of times he has saved our arses! Pepe made some fantastic saves today- at least they didnt win!

I think they can all take alot of positives from today.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,454 posts | 2848 
      Reply #491: Aug 15, 2010 11:02:43 pm
      Thought that game had similarities with the derby last year. Lost a man but fought and got a goal. Shame we couldn't hold on this time though.

My main positive was the defence. Last year some awful, awful defending cost us at least 15-20 points IMO. If it wasn't for some bad luck then we would have got a quality clean sheet and a good three points. Johnson gave his best defensive display in red colours, Carra was immense (they don't make them like him anymore), Skrtel showed the form of two seasons ago and Agger was solid. I was F***ing gutted for the lot of them, and throw Reina in there too for his two quality saves, when that goal went in.

Masch and Stevie were superb in the middle. Stevie didn't show his attacking side but was immense in showing the grit and fight to push us on. As for Masch, I have to say (being not one of his greatest fans) well in. He was superb, it's games like these where he proves his worth. If he just works on his range of passing I seriously think he will be the one of the world's finest central midfielders in a couple of years time. The professionalism shown was top class from him. I would still welcome him to stay and improve with us if he has a change of heart although I am not too confident.

Decent shift from Jovanovic today, made some strong runs but a lack of match fitness was shown with him coming off early. Kuyt was again not great on the wing but it's unfair to judge because of his extra defensive duties in the second half.

Ngog was bright, scored again which is fantastic although disappointed he missed that header. It would have sealed the points but at least he's hitting the back of the net.

Gutted for Joe but I think it was just a case of wanting to impress too much. He was marked out and he was struggling to get the ball and his overeagerness caused him to cross the line. Maybe it wasn't a red but I think it could have a postive affect as he'll be raring to go on Thursday.

Torres needs a lot of work. It's clear that he shouldn't have been anywhere near South Africa this summer. I'm fearing that we won't be seeing the best of him until October at the earliest. It's clear the lad was rushed back, the extra work he's had to do to rush back on occassions has resulted in a more tired body and it's showing as he's a lot slower. He'll be back though and even without that half yard of pace, give him half a chance and he'll stick it in. He just needs to gain that sharpness.

All in all a decent point. Home to a team that finished third last season, and with ten men, to draw is decent. The attitude was top notch today and that can only mean good things.

Roll on Thursday and then lets F***ing have City!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #492: Aug 15, 2010 11:04:31 pm
      Oh well, phase one of the title challenge has been completed. Our first 90 minutes under Roy Hodgson and a well deserved point in the end. The first half was something to forget, our play consisting of erratic passing and a severe lack of fluidity. I'm not going to dwell on it though, it's a transitional period for the next couple of months, we have to be understanding of the predicament our manager and players find themselves in. After the first 45 minutes you'd have thought that Arsenal were the home team, we didn't get into them as I thought we would. NGog missed a few chances and his first touch was relatively poor. Cole looked lost, though that's understandable at the moment, again, players are settling in and forging new partnerships. A classic example was the quick free kick that Gerrard took and Cole had his back turned, it will come though.

Then came the turning point of the game, the Cole sending off. It was most definitely not a sending off, but Twatkinson thought otherwise and off he went. How we reacted was pivotal to what Roy has been trying to implement since his arrival. Had his confidence building work been enough to stem the tide?, or would be fall in on ourselves and display self pity?. Thankfully it was more than that, we responded magnificently and the lads did us proud, well they did me proud anyway. The togetherness, the fight, the desire, the mental toughness, it was there for all to see.

The NGog goal was a sublime finish, a superb pass from Mascherano, yet it shouldn't have been his first goal, he should have scored at least one before that. We were in the ascendency now, the team with ten men that were taking the game to Arsenal!. That's what I'm trying to get across here, we were down to ten men yet we were still taking the game to Arsenal!. I understand that Torres is not fully fit, but I would have gone with Torres from the off today and then substituted him in the second half. The difference in expectation levels when I see Torres or NGog on the teamsheet is like a gulf or chasm. That's no disrespect meant to NGog, it's just that the difference in class should not be that wide between 2 first team strikers. Far too often NGog is wasteful with the ball and we can't afford to have a striker like that in the side. We desperately need another striking option.

Jovanovic was solid, he is a colossus  on the wing and has given us that harder edge to the side. Skrtel and Carra were solid also, though they will face sterner tests during the campaign. Johnson played well overall, a couple of minor blips but we have to accept this I feel if we wish to keep that attacking option down the right flank. Agger was immense, playing through the pain barrier, I am slightly perturbed that he will soon become pissed off at left back though. We must sort the left back berth out soon as Agger is wasted at left back. Gerrard was all over the place and the fire was clearly back in his belly, some awesome passing that was world class at times, a shame we don't have the full quota of top class players to compliment his visionary prowess.

Mascherano was absolutely f**king awesome, when we went down to ten men his tenacity shone through like a beacon in the mist. Not forgetting his Alonsoesque pass to NGog for that goal. Kuyt, as industrious as ever but we need more from him. As important as work ethic is, Kuyt has to start bringing more to the table. Torres when he came on was understandably off the pace, just glad to see him back for us. We know what this lad can do, we don't have to go on about his potential as he's the real deal. Reina?, so unlucky with that goal, our bad luck and in no way do I blame him, that save from Rosicky was vintage Reina.

In a nutshell, we were substandard during the first half. We wasted chances that Torres would have put away. Cole got sent off unfairly. We were galavanised by the sending off, we raised our game. We didn't go into ourselves, we reacted like warriors. We stood our ground, we fought for the cause and so very nearly won the battle but for bad fortune. We may have been injured in the battle but the war is far from over.

We took a small step today, we fought as a unit and not as individuals. Shoulder to shoulder, and for that I am extremely proud of the lads. The most important thing about that step?, it wasn't that it was small, it was that it was forward. A lot of teams would have folded against Arsenal, we didn't, and that's the biggest positive I could have hoped for.

P.S. Mascherano was f**king awesome! He is an absolute beast of a player and anyone who has stated that he is easily replacable will regret those words. Players like Masch are one of a kind, ever the consummate professional. His possible loss will strike a devastating blow to the heart of this team, though I have a feeling he's going to stay. To put in a performance like that when he is having to deal with family issues is testament to the man that he is. If Mascherano was to play the Elephant Man he would say this, "I'm not a human being, I'm an animal!".

YNWA. IRWT.
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2010 11:14:17 pm by hardcoresoldier »
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #493: Aug 15, 2010 11:17:14 pm
      Referring was a bit ridiculous.  Wilshere should definately have gone off - Gray's commentary made me so mad, didn't he say something like, "oh he's just a boy". We must appeal Joe Cole's red card.

Mistake from Reina but for every goal he lets in, he saves a thousand (and one of the few goalkeepers who you know has a shot at saving a penalty every time).  His face was a sad picture - the man is a red through and through, loves the game and has the highest standards so nobody will be more gutted than he.

Impressed by Ngog today - he's has big shoes to fill but most "worldclass" strikers would love his goal per game ratio. 
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #494: Aug 15, 2010 11:18:27 pm
      I have to ask again... Why wasn't Aqua on the team list today? Injured or on his out?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #495: Aug 15, 2010 11:18:53 pm
      One more thing people, it's Jovanovic, not F***ing Jovanovich!

The misspelling of our player's names really grips my sh*t! (Awaits deliberate misspelling of players names just to piss hardcoresoldier off for the sake of it!  >:( )
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #496: Aug 15, 2010 11:20:43 pm
      Is right Hadrcroesodleir.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #497: Aug 15, 2010 11:23:10 pm
      One more thing people, it's Jovanovic, not f**king Jovanovich!

The misspelling of our player's names really grips my sh*t! (Awaits deliberate misspelling of players names just to piss hardcoresoldier off for the sake of it!  >:( )

He is this years Aquilani (Aqualani was used WAY too much, and still is)

Right on, Hardcore.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #498: Aug 15, 2010 11:25:33 pm
      jo coal shouldn't of been sent off :/ yeah two feet were off the floor, but by the time he was anywhere near Kocsinoboer??? he was on the floor, and it was his trailing leg which caught him. :/
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #499: Aug 15, 2010 11:27:19 pm

There's always one!  :laugh: >:D
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #500: Aug 15, 2010 11:29:34 pm
      jo coal shouldn't of been sent off :/ yeah two feet were off the floor, but by the time he was anywhere near Kocsinoboer??? he was on the floor, and it was his trailing leg which caught him. :/

You are seriously taking the piss right?. If not I suggest you start attending primary school instead of bunking off sir.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #501: Aug 15, 2010 11:35:24 pm
      Actually, it's Jovanović, not Jovanovic. :laugh:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #502: Aug 15, 2010 11:38:49 pm
      Actually, it's Jovanović, not Jovanovic. :laugh:

Yes, i know that mate, but how do you get that acute accent over the 'c'?. I don't have that on my keyboard.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #503: Aug 15, 2010 11:41:53 pm
      Just got back from the game long day ,thought we showed great heart when down to ten men ,which we shouldn,t have been happened right in front of me 3rd row never in a million was that a sending off all in all  a fair result even thougf we gifted them a point
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #504: Aug 15, 2010 11:42:48 pm
      Chin up lads! I for one gotta say N'gog is looking very good, i thought he played really good and think he can get into double figures. Masch boy, oh boy you may want out but you still come up with the fierce and tough performance. Jova did decent certainly can improve still bedding into the league. Cole well frustrations must of irked him, unfortunate but he'll learn and come back stronger. Kuyt was bloody terrific held the ball well, supported Johnson and N'gog, put his shift in. Gerrard good performance passion and power what i like to see! Defence i felt was very good. Reina unlucky about the blunder but it happens to the best of us! Torres looked off the pace to be expected still some nice touches. Maxi came and played left back for the rest, didn't have much attacking output just held his position and defended. Lucas came on and did a great job from carrying on from Masch. It's not all bad we got Aquilani, Babel, Poulsen to come in and helped, i am absolutely certain we get a win from Man City, so chin up and let our fighting spirit blossom!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #505: Aug 15, 2010 11:45:18 pm
      Yes, i know that mate, but how do you get that acute accent over the 'c'?. I don't have that on my keyboard.
      Me neither mate. :laugh:

(copy paste)

:f_whistle:

Quick Reply