Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool plagued with bad managers

Read 8275 times
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Liverpool plagued with bad managers
      Sep 16, 2010 05:44:40 pm
      Since Dalglish left us liverpool have been on a downward slope due to poor managers.Firstly Graeme Souness who single handedly turned Liverpool from title contenders to mid-table mediocrity.He turned Liverpool's simple and beautiful pass and move football into pretty unenjoyable  displays.I think it's mostly his fault that Liverpool are where they are today.By the end of his reign he become so out off touch with the Liverpool people even giving an interview with the S*n after our FA cup success,And signing quite possibly the worst player i've ever seen in Julian Dicks  ???

The next manager is Roy Evans a man i find very hard to blame for anything.He was simply rebuilding what Souness had broken.He was very good with youth introducing,Redknapp,Owen,Fowler,Carragher,Mcmanaman and co into the team unfortunately he took over Liverpool at the wrong time he left after doing all he could do.

Gerard Houlier was his replacement and many people will disagree with me when i class him as a " bad manager " he did win our famous treble in 2001 but for me that was not enough with the squad he had to work with,Gerrard,McManaman,Carragher,Owen,Fowler,Redknapp,Babbel,Riise,Berger to name a few,this squad coupled with some awful signings prove to me that Houllier really under achieved with us.

And Finally Rafa Benitez I've been 100% in support of Rafa until upto a month ago i came to the conclussion that i was brainwashed by Benitez and took his side because he was standing up to the Yanks but it's obvious his style and his approach had stopped working he had turned cold on too many players too quickly never gave Keane a chance made some awful terrible signings Dossena,Joesemi,Nunez..to name a small fraction off them.Yes he won the Champions league,and Fa Cup and followed it up with runners up in the league but he made two many mistakes and by the end it was obvious the players wanted hi out with no one speaking out at the world cup and Gerrard's look off confusion against Birmingham really showed us his reign was up.

I haven't seen enough off Hodgson to make up my mind yet but the signs are showing he's not up to the standard off what Liverpool managers should be.Arsenal have had Wenger for years,Man Utd have had Fergie for years and Mourinho turned Chelsea into a mediocre 4th/5th club into what they are today a team capable of competing on all fronts..Why havent Liverpool had a Good manager since the Shankly,Paisley days.

/ends rant  :f_steam:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool plagued with bad managers
      Reply #1: Sep 16, 2010 05:47:02 pm
      I would say more likely. . . Plagued with bad owners. . . But yes G S was sh*t
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #2: Sep 16, 2010 05:48:06 pm
      I would say more likely. . . Plagued with bad owners. . . But yes G S was sh*t
      We have enough topics on that please dont turn this into a bad owners thread we all know that.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #3: Sep 16, 2010 05:48:57 pm
      Oh boy... this is going to get ugly...

Why havent Liverpool had a Good manager since the Shankly,Paisley days.

Fagan & Kenny?
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #4: Sep 16, 2010 05:52:04 pm
      Oh boy... this is going to get ugly...

Fagan & Kenny?
      Sorry i mentioned Kenny at the start and agree wit you on Fagan !!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #5: Sep 16, 2010 05:53:53 pm
      Mods, please bring back the bad post button.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Sep 16, 2010 05:55:10 pm
      Roy Evans side played cracking football. David James owes Roy Evans a big fooking apolagy the games he cost us time and again  >:( Houllier dragged the club back to its habit of winning. Wasnt mad about his style or some of his post match interviews but he done a job no doubt. Rafa, top man top manager.

My views are clear on the current boss.

So Souey aside I would disagree our mangers have been bad
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #7: Sep 16, 2010 06:00:05 pm
      Why havent Liverpool had a Good manager since the Shankly,Paisley days.

You mean like Fagan and Dalglish? Oh yeah why haven't we had them eh?

In all honesty, Evans wasn't a bad manager. Evans was a F***ing quality manager who had us playing the best football we have done in the Premiership. Evan's problem was a combination of two things - a dodgy back line and keeper which he always tried to sort out by buying defenders instead of a decent keeper in place of James. His other problem was the fact that down the road Ferguson had what I consider to be the best United side I've seen.

Both clubs had quality youngsters coming through, the difference being that United had Bruce and Pallister (not Ruddock and Babb) at the heart of the defence and behind that they had Schmichael (not David "calamity" James). That's why they won everything.

Houllier again was not a bad manager, he took us to a level that most fans of this generation hadn't seen. He took us to a European final, the only manager since Dalglish to win two (or more) domestic cups while at the club and was pushing on to bring the League home. His downfall was his heart problems which he never fully recovered from. He should of left there and then.

Benitez again was not a bad manager, he had some faults like all managers do but he again took us to a new level. He took us to European Cup champions, something that nobody expected us to be with that squad. He took us to second playing the best football we have done since Evans' days.

His problem was he got too wrapped up in the political side of the game. Some think it was boss that he was telling us everything was going on but in the end I think he got too caught up in that, that it took away some of his footballing qualities. Every press conference he was making reference to the politics and while it's good to be kept informed, it's also good to just hear a manager talk football every now and then.

As for Hodgson, of course he's not in the class of Shanks, Bob, Joe, Kenny but that's because the team as a whole isn't in that class.

Shanks had Cally, Bob had Jimmy Case, Joe had Sammy Lee, Kenny had Ray Houghton, Roy has Dirk Kuyt.

Shanks had Peter Thompson, Bob had Heighway, Joe had Craig Johnston, Kenny had Barnes, Roy has Milan Jovanovich.

Shanks had Stevenson/Milne, Bob had Souey/Terry Mc, Joe had Souey/Whelan, Kenny had Molby/McMahon, Roy has Lucas/Poulsen.

Shanks had Byrne, Bob had Joey Jones, Joe had Alan Kennedy, Kenny had Beglin, Roy has Paul Konchesky.

Shanks had Lawler, Bob had Neal, Joe had Neal, Kenny had Steve Nicol, Roy has Glen Johnson

Do you see the difference in quality. What we had under the legends were quality players, what we have now is a fair few average players playing regular first team football.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #8: Sep 16, 2010 06:02:38 pm
      more like one bad manager gave us the plague. souness the tw*t
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Sep 16, 2010 06:35:40 pm
      more like one bad manager gave us the plague. souness the tw*t

Thought it was more a touch of Ghonorea myself, the c**t felt like a cheating girlfriend the way he tore our collective hearts out..
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #10: Sep 16, 2010 06:55:12 pm
      Good managers are few aand far between, and when they do come along they have there doubters, even whisky nose almost got sacked. Some Arsenal supporters are still calling for wenger to be sacked. I think the bigest thing we suporters lack is paitence so we should give Roy a little time eh?.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #11: Sep 16, 2010 07:09:49 pm
      Anyone who doesnt think Rafa is a great manager is  working for the Yanks in some way. Or a complete and utter imbecile.

And Ged was actually a good manager. But that Freddy Boswell pr**k David Moores wasnt exactly letting him compete with with rivals was he?

Have fun with Hodgson, the biggest managerial insult this club has ever seen.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12: Sep 16, 2010 07:24:44 pm
      Graham Souness pretty much f**ked it up for all the managers that followed him. He sold some great players to make room for his team of thugs, and left a hell of a rebuilding job for Roy Evans.(Maybe thugs is the wrong word! Lets say tough nuts instead)
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #13: Sep 16, 2010 07:26:52 pm
      I wouldn't say we've had bad managers  :P

Souness upset the apple cart though
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Sep 16, 2010 07:31:45 pm
      We have enough topics on that please dont turn this into a bad owners thread we all know that.

It's more likely to turn into a Rafa/foreign manager debate...
      I think in a whole we had one bad manager in the time you refer to. GS. Absolute turd.
      I would agree with comments on here that David James was more of a disaster than Evans.
      Houllier for all the negativity he subjected us too did bring us back some success.
      Rafa... I was/am a big fan brought us some great football 08/09 but ultimately fell on his political sword.
      Roy... Too early to say for me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Sep 16, 2010 07:35:19 pm
      Souness-itis is the only plague we've had.

Although Woy-osis is threatening.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #16: Sep 16, 2010 07:36:59 pm
      Anyone who doesnt think Rafa is a great manager is  working for the Yanks in some way. Or a complete and utter imbecile.

And Ged was actually a good manager. But that Freddy Boswell pr**k David Moores wasnt exactly letting him compete with with rivals was he?

Have fun with Hodgson, the biggest managerial insult this club has ever seen.

I didn't and don't think that Benitez was a great manager and I'm not working for the Yanks in any way and for your information I'm not a complete and utter imbecile. You seem to think that anybody who doesn't agree with your points of view is somehow is working for the Yanks. Grow up.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: Sep 16, 2010 07:37:41 pm
      You mean like Fagan and Dalglish? Oh yeah why haven't we had them eh?

In all honesty, Evans wasn't a bad manager. Evans was a F***ing quality manager who had us playing the best football we have done in the Premiership. Evan's problem was a combination of two things - a dodgy back line and keeper which he always tried to sort out by buying defenders instead of a decent keeper in place of James. His other problem was the fact that down the road Ferguson had what I consider to be the best United side I've seen.

Both clubs had quality youngsters coming through, the difference being that United had Bruce and Pallister (not Ruddock and Babb) at the heart of the defence and behind that they had Schmichael (not David "calamity" James). That's why they won everything.

Houllier again was not a bad manager, he took us to a level that most fans of this generation hadn't seen. He took us to a European final, the only manager since Dalglish to win two (or more) domestic cups while at the club and was pushing on to bring the League home. His downfall was his heart problems which he never fully recovered from. He should of left there and then.

Benitez again was not a bad manager, he had some faults like all managers do but he again took us to a new level. He took us to European Cup champions, something that nobody expected us to be with that squad. He took us to second playing the best football we have done since Evans' days.

His problem was he got too wrapped up in the political side of the game. Some think it was boss that he was telling us everything was going on but in the end I think he got too caught up in that, that it took away some of his footballing qualities. Every press conference he was making reference to the politics and while it's good to be kept informed, it's also good to just hear a manager talk football every now and then.

As for Hodgson, of course he's not in the class of Shanks, Bob, Joe, Kenny but that's because the team as a whole isn't in that class.

Shanks had Cally, Bob had Jimmy Case, Joe had Sammy Lee, Kenny had Ray Houghton, Roy has Dirk Kuyt.

Shanks had Peter Thompson, Bob had Heighway, Joe had Craig Johnston, Kenny had Barnes, Roy has Milan Jovanovich.

Shanks had Stevenson/Milne, Bob had Souey/Terry Mc, Joe had Souey/Whelan, Kenny had Molby/McMahon, Roy has Lucas/Poulsen.

Shanks had Byrne, Bob had Joey Jones, Joe had Alan Kennedy, Kenny had Beglin, Roy has Paul Konchesky.

Shanks had Lawler, Bob had Neal, Joe had Neal, Kenny had Steve Nicol, Roy has Glen Johnson

Do you see the difference in quality. What we had under the legends were quality players, what we have now is a fair few average players playing regular first team football.

Lots of nails, you didn't miss one I don't think.

Well summed up, Billy.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #18: Sep 16, 2010 08:27:55 pm
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: Sep 16, 2010 08:50:44 pm
      Maybe you need to concentrate on a subject other than Roy Hodgson!! You've made it quite clear how you feel about him, whats left to say?
      Darren Anfield
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -2 
      Reply #20: Sep 16, 2010 09:04:08 pm
      Dont really understand what is constructive about posts like this ? Ever since Dalglish left we have won everything but the Prem , i dont think this comes about if every manager we have had has been bad . Lighten up mate ;D !
      LFCexiled
      Reply #21: Sep 16, 2010 09:12:10 pm
      Stupid thread really, to say you supported Rafa 100% but now you've changed your mind sort of says that you aren't/weren't in control of your own mind and your open for brainwashing, tabloid suckling at its best. Souness was and is a tw*t, end of.

My opinion on Rafa is that he was royally fu**ed over by two American cock sucking, mother F***ing, pig raping, money hungry dishonest cu*ts. The man's parting shot? He fu**ed up the revenue stream for the same tw*ts thus leading them into financial oblivion. I would be proud to call him my brother and do. I won't even bother commenting on his other more generous parting shots as they don't belong in the same paragraph as those two pricks.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #22: Sep 16, 2010 10:17:28 pm
      Thought it was more a touch of Ghonorea myself, the c**t felt like a cheating girlfriend the way he tore our collective hearts out..
      so you agree

Quick Reply