Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool 2-2 Northampton (2-4 on pens): In game and Post Match anger

Read 85387 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Northampton (2-4 on pens): In game and Post Match anger
      Reply #1150: Sep 23, 2010 08:40:01 am
      http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/09/23/liverpool-fc-manager-roy-hodgson-apologises-after-carling-cup-debacle-92534-27325831/

Liverpool FC manager Roy Hodgson apologises after Carling Cup debacle

Sep 23 2010 by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

DEJECTED Roy Hodgson issued an apology to Liverpool supporters after they witnessed a Carling Cup humiliation last night.

The Anfield outfit suffered one of the most embarrassing defeats in their history when they were defeated in a penalty shoot-out at home by npower League Two strugglers Northampton Town.

David Ngog and Nathan Eccleston both missed from the spot to give Abdul Osman the chance to fire home in front of the Kop and give the visitors a famous third-round triumph.

A much-changed Liverpool had only forced penalties with an Ngog equaliser four minutes from the end of extra time after goals by Northampton duo Billy McKay and 18-year-old Michael Jacobs wiped out Milan Jovanovic’s early opener.

And a hugely disappointed Hodgson could only say sorry to the home fans who turned up on a dismal, dreary night that will go down in the annals of Anfield infamy.

“It’s a major setback for the club as a whole,” said the Liverpool manager. “The Carling Cup is a competition we are capable of doing well in.

“It’s one of many setbacks we are facing at the moment. It’s a tough period to work and live through, but we will work and live through it and survive and get better. I’ll learn an awful lot tonight about this defeat about an awful lot of people.

“I can only congratulate Northampton and apologise to the fans who came here tonight. They expected us to win and so did we.”

"Its one of many setbacks we are facing at the moment."

Dont hide behind the ownership issue. You've said already thats nothing to do with you.
      Youve said that your job is the football.
      Other people have hid under that radar."

"Ill learn an awful lot tonight about this defeat        about an awful lot of people."

FFS How long have you been in football management Roy? Your teams are listed below mate.
       Were'nt you hired for your experience?

How long have you been at the club?
       How long have you been with the players?

Mr Hodgson.
      Its a tough period to work and live through.
      We were doing it before you came and honestly its gone from bad to worse.
      Youre fired.

1971–1972    Maidstone United Assistant Coach
      1976    Carshalton Athletic
      1976–1980    Halmstad
      1980–1982    Bristol City
      1983–1985    Örebro
      1985–1990    Malmö FF
      1990–1992    Neuchâtel Xamax
      1992–1995    Switzerland
      1995–1997    Internazionale
      1997–1998    Blackburn Rovers
      1999    Internazionale
      1999–2000    Grasshopper
      2000–2001    Copenhagen
      2001    Udinese
      2002–2004    United Arab Emirates
      2004–2005    Viking
      2006–2007    Finland
      2007–2010    Fulham
      2010–    Liverpool
      It is not apologies we want,first of all we want the team to start playing football the way successful L.F.C teams of the past have played,we want the players to put the effort in and take pride in wearing the RED of LIVERPOOL.We have had enough of getting beat by the likes of Northampton,United and City,regarding Roy ,why has he not lasted long as a manager in nearly 40 years as a manager.Could the Northampton result be one game away from the straw that broke the camels back.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1151: Sep 23, 2010 08:41:58 am
      Surely no one could argue that that team should have breezed past Northampton. so the question has to be why are we so awful no matter who plays at the moment. There is a cancer in the club at the moment and until its cut out we cant make sense of anything.Please God let the 6th of October bring the first positive news for 3 years.

I hope your right.

With regards to the kids team I don't think it is fair to say we should have breezed past Northampton.  We don't have the history of Arsenal or United at blooding youth.  They were mostly untried kids.  And especially playing a centre-back kid at left back isn't going to help.

Fact is, with the first team playing as bad as they are, they could have done with the opportunity to get some shooting practice in.  The whole performance was woeful.  I think we had about 5 shots in 120 minutes.

And Roy had left the bench so weak that he couldn't bolster the side.

Look at last season's team in the 3rd Round

Liverpool: Cavalieri, Dossena, Carragher (captain), Kyrgiakos, Degen, (Johnson 71) Aurelio, Spearing, Mascherano, Riera, Babel, (Skrtel 90) Ngog (Gerrard 78).

Unused Subs -  Torres, Plessis, Voronin, Reina
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #1152: Sep 23, 2010 08:45:46 am
      The biggest crime was not to include Gerrard,Torres and Cole in the substitutes.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #1153: Sep 23, 2010 08:47:15 am
      As much as I hate to say it, but with the Carling Cup gone we can now focus more on the prem and the Europa league. And there's less chance for injuries now.

And a bigger chance for guys like Pacheco to actually play in the big games.

Now I hope Hodgson doesn't attempt another complete line-up change for the next Europa League fixture cause it would be nice to win something this season.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1154: Sep 23, 2010 08:48:03 am
      Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck... since when do we lose on pens???

Oh... maybe since gobs***e fans boo rather than support them, putting them under more pressure.  Thanks guys...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1155: Sep 23, 2010 08:50:11 am
      Can someone explain whay we are constantly being told Torres needs match fitness yet isnt even on the bench. Surely playing for an hour maybe scoring a couple would only do him th epower of good.Someone said the Roy likes to put out his strongest side if available when Rafa changed things he was slaughtered.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1156: Sep 23, 2010 08:52:25 am
      ^ Exactly.

Funny how he can score twice for Spain.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,001 posts | 2712 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1157: Sep 23, 2010 08:54:18 am
      The biggest crime was not to include Gerrard,Torres and Cole in the substitutes.

Without a doubt hugh talking point he never had any class on the bench for emergencies. I thought before Roy picked his team he would of had at least 6 players that played on Sunday. Massive rick by the manager. If it wasn't bad enough Torres not playing, he should of at least had him on the bench.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1158: Sep 23, 2010 08:55:00 am
      Spain do this thing.. i think it's called attacking? It may be a silent 'a' at the beginning, im not quite sure. Anyways, i have heard its awesome. Wouldn't have a clue what it looks like though.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1159: Sep 23, 2010 08:56:31 am
      Inexcusable performance.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1160: Sep 23, 2010 08:57:12 am
      Massive rick by the manager. If it wasn't bad enough Torre not playing, he should of at least had him on the bench.
      We normally do give the kids a chance but have back up on the bench.

I feel really let down as this was one of maybe two winnable trophies for Liverpool this season.  Now we're going to have to rely on avoiding some big names in the FA Cup if we've got any chance of silverware.

Your trophy now for the taking.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #1161: Sep 23, 2010 09:01:35 am
      I feel utterly sick...

That tean SHOULD have beaten northhampton so i dont disagree with Roys starting line up at all, there were some good first teamers in there.

But the bench wasnt good enough, the only thing i can say is Roy didnt expect those 11 to disgrace the Liverpool shirt and put in a dog sh*t performance.

these slips will soon be a landslide, only a solid win at the wkend will stop in short term

Roy has some quickfire decisions to make and for the first time i will say get rid of Babel, F***ing joke he is.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #1162: Sep 23, 2010 09:11:27 am
      As embaressing as that was and I think that probably was the worst result ive experienced as a fan, Roy didn’t get the team wrong because that team should have beaten them. The biggest F**k up was not having a back up plan on the bench to be, but this is awful, worse than losing to Grimsby In it like 9 years ago
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1163: Sep 23, 2010 09:13:12 am
      .... and for the first time I will say get rid of Babel, f**king joke he is.

At last !  another one !
      Well said.

That team was 69 league places below us FFS.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #1164: Sep 23, 2010 09:18:50 am
      I know where Wilson should play mate. Centre backs can rarely step out into the full back position comfortably. Obviously Roy thought he would try him, maybe with a view to using him there more often, but it was a bad choice. . . As is everytime Babel skulks around a pitch

Well, according to Gary Gillespie, any back four player should be able to play ANYWHERE in the back four comfortably...
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #1165: Sep 23, 2010 09:30:33 am
      Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck... since when do we lose on pens???

Oh... maybe since gobs***e fans boo rather than support them, putting them under more pressure.  Thanks guys...

If true, that the booing took place this is totally embarrassing. I thought that was what separated us from all the others.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,001 posts | 2712 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1166: Sep 23, 2010 09:36:30 am
      We normally do give the kids a chance but have back up on the bench.

I feel really let down as this was one of maybe two winnable trophies for Liverpool this season.  Now we're going to have to rely on avoiding some big names in the FA Cup if we've got any chance of silverware.

Your trophy now for the taking.

I think its only fair you give the kids a chance in the League Cup JD. Most top clubs do it now, Its good for the game in my opinion. However, back up is imperative, what the fook was Hodgson thinking  :roll: I can fully understand the fans going ballistic not just on the performance, but more the team selection, the latter being the most important.

This trophy is always for the taking simply cos of the top teams selections. Yes United have a chance. However, Sir Alex will still play the second team for most of the competition  :-\ Certainly not my way of thinking, but then i'm not Alex  ;D

Hope you have better luck in the FA Cup  :)
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #1167: Sep 23, 2010 09:45:05 am

That beggars belief , how can you not have the "ace up the sleeve" so to speak . You were quite rightly to expect to breeze past Northampton . But surely you need a go to player on the bench to call on if needed . How long you been around Roy ?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #1168: Sep 23, 2010 09:46:53 am
      2009-03-02 20:00 Sunderland H 2–0 N'Gog  51', Benayoun  65'
      2009-03-14 12:45 Manchester United A 4–1 Torres  28', Gerrard  44' (pen.), Aurélio  76', Dossena  90'
      2009-03-22 16:00 Aston Villa H 5–0 Kuyt  7', Riera  32', Gerrard  39' (pen.), 49', 65' (pen.)
      2009-04-04 17:30 Fulham A 1–0 Benayoun  90+2'
      2009-04-11 12:45 Blackburn Rovers H 4–0 Torres  4', 33', Agger  83', N'Gog  89'
      2009-04-21 20:00 Arsenal H 4–4 Torres  49', 72', Benayoun  56', 90+4'
      2009-04-25 15:00 Hull City A 3–1 Alonso  45', Kuyt  63', 89'
      2009-05-03 13:30 Newcastle United H 3–0 Benayoun  22', Kuyt  28', Lucas  87'
      2009-05-09 17:30 West Ham United A 3–0 Gerrard  2', 38', Babel  84'
      2009-05-17 13:30 West Bromwich Albion A 2–0 Gerrard  28', Kuyt  63'
      2009-05-24 16:00 Tottenham Hotspur H 3–1 Torres  31', Hutton  64' (o.g.), Benayoun  81'

Ahh........how things can change, these results seem a million miles away at the moment :f_wah:

I can't understand why you would want to compare Rafa's best finish to a League season to a 9 game stretch of poor performances by a far inferior manager such as Roy Hodgson ?.
      SURE it was a great period of time under Rafa (having been in charge for 5yrs !) surely you want to be comparing the finish to his managerial tenure (7th place!) to Roy's current one !.
      Rafa had Benny, Masch, Alonso and Riera during the period you talk about, who's roy got ? the only player we've bought thats got any credability is Cole.
      I'm not defending Roy in anyway as I also think he's not up to the job but there's no one else out there available who can match what Rafa brought us, why should we settle for less ?
      We have a manager who would be easily and cheaply replaced when the new regime takes over, we have to give him at least until the takeover !.

Back to the game, if we can replace the manager as easily as we think why not some of the players ?, they we're shocking if they can't be bothered to play why should we pay them ?
      We'd be sacked if we performed they way they did last night !
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2010 10:13:21 am by frizzby5 »
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1169: Sep 23, 2010 09:53:06 am
      On the basis of this, I would now sell Babel as he is still not good enough - time to go mate
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1170: Sep 23, 2010 09:53:30 am
      If we can send Aquilani on loan - maybe Babel can F**k off too?
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #1171: Sep 23, 2010 10:03:16 am
      “The Carling Cup is a competition we are capable of doing well in."

Evidently not.

Babel should have been moved on 3 or 4 seasons ago.

Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #1172: Sep 23, 2010 10:04:30 am
      F**k me I now know what depression feels like, thank F**k it wasn't on telly at least we didn't have to suffer watching it as well.

If we keep performing like that the day trippers will be staying away in their thousands anyway

Not A Penny More,

Quick Reply