Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Liverpool 2-2 Northampton (2-4 on pens): In game and Post Match anger

Read 85601 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Northampton (2-4 on pens): In game and Post Match anger
      Reply #1081: Sep 23, 2010 12:10:47 am
      I may make a contraversial statement here ,but IMO Roy Hodgson,is the worst manager that LFC has ever had,to sum it up he is a useless tw*t.

and him.........RH.......hes another tw..t.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #1082: Sep 23, 2010 12:10:53 am
      I wouldnt do that.
      Indeed. Check what I said about Rafa from early this year.

Molby is a tw*t as well then.

I wouldn't call him a tw*t personally, he was a hero of mine.

But he's on the club's payroll so he's hardly gonna slag Roy is he?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,671 posts | 6963 
      Reply #1083: Sep 23, 2010 12:11:50 am
      Disappointed in Molby.

Rafa didn't pick tonight's team.  He didn't leave an empty bench.

Our football tonight was abysmal. Hardly any chances on goal.

Absolutely nobody can defend tonight's 18.  This was a competition we had a chance in.  A competition that could perhaps have kept Roy in a job.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1084: Sep 23, 2010 12:12:15 am
      Evening Huyton.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #1085: Sep 23, 2010 12:12:40 am
      I don't think it's the manager that needs to go, it's some of these mediocre players.

They couldn't give two fucks, they're getting paid on Saturday the bas**rds
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1086: Sep 23, 2010 12:14:27 am
      Disappointed in Molby.

Rafa didn't pick tonight's team.  He didn't leave an empty bench.

Our football tonight was abysmal. Hardly any chances on goal.

Absolutely nobody can defend tonight's 18.  This was a competition we had a chance in.  A competition that could perhaps have kept Roy in a job.

I think he picked the right team for tonight, I do question what instructions and tatics he instructed that team to take onto the field which is a massive concern.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #1087: Sep 23, 2010 12:14:42 am
      A load of cobblers apparently. :mad:
      Well in Brother,better on their feet than we were.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #1088: Sep 23, 2010 12:15:54 am
      Roy's reaction to cup exit

Roy Hodgson admitted he was left bitterly disappointed by Liverpool's Carling Cup exit at the hands of Northampton Town on Wednesday night.

Milan Jovanovic appeared to have set the Reds on their way to victory with a clinical ninth-minute strike, but Billy McKay drew Northampton level early in the second half.

Kevin Thornton then put the Cobblers ahead in extra-time and though David Ngog levelled, Liverpool were left stunned after the League Two side claimed a 4-2 penalty shootout victory.

Afterwards, Hodgson confirmed he shared the fans' frustration at the defeat.

"I didn't think we came anywhere near to what I'd hoped to see from the team except perhaps in the last 15 minutes of extra-time when we really made a superb effort after going 2-1 down," the boss told a post-match press conference.

"It didn't look good (after going behind), but we certainly did everything we could to take the game to them and maybe we were a little bit unlucky not to get a third goal in that period because we had a good grip on the game and both teams were tiring.

"But when it goes to penalties and you're at home in front of the Kop, your hope is that the players will have the composure and confidence to win the shootout. But we didn't and all I can do is congratulate Northampton and apologise to everyone. The fans who came tonight obviously expected to see us win, I expected to see us win but it wasn't to be."

Liverpool made wholesale changes for the cup tie to the team that had taken to the field for Sunday's clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Hodgson added: "The fans know we took a risk by playing a totally different team. I thought the fans were very good as usual and the support for the team was excellent.

"I don't think fans will see it any differently to the way I saw it, they won't be any more disappointed than I am.

"There is nothing I can say that will make them feel any better because they're going home bitterly disappointed that we're out of the Carling Cup and what's more, we've been knocked out by a team several leagues lower than us.

"There is nothing to say except I thought the effort was there, we didn't lose because we were casual in our approach or lethargic in our play, we lost unfortunately because we defended poorly on a couple of occasions and didn't use the ball well enough with the possession we had.

"Basically, there are 12 or 13 players if you take Fabio Aurelio, who didn't play tonight and are the more famous names. But outside of them, the players we had out tonight are the ones we have and I thought it was a good opportunity for them to show what they can do at Anfield.

"I have to say, Northampton were clearly better than one would have expected from a team playing where they play. We must give them credit. We knew they were quite a good team from watching them, but I honestly believed with the quality of players we had on the field, with both international and Barclays Premier League experience, we would be good enough to win the game - but we weren't."

Hodgson acknowledged he was disappointed by the manner of his side's performance and insisted that the defeat was the responsibility of both players and manager.

He said: "The fact is these players have to accept responsibility. I have to accept responsibility for changing a lot of players in the team, but I did it because I thought the players I put on the field would be good enough to go out and win the game.

"They weren't, so the obvious conclusion to that is that I shouldn't have changed so many players and should have let some of those players who played against Manchester United play tonight, but I honestly believed the team we put out on the field would have been strong enough to get a result.

"But we weren't and that's because we didn't play well enough, didn't pass the ball well enough throughout the game and you must give some credit to Northampton who worked extremely hard and I'm sure they'll go away feeling they have stolen nothing here tonight and were worth their victory."

He continued: "They (the players) will have to do a lot of work to get themselves back into favour, but it's early doors for some of them. Some of the players who played tonight are still quite young.

"But it's enough for me to say I am very disappointed and you can see that on my face. I did not expect to be sitting here having lost a penalty shootout, which is the worst possible way of losing matches I can assure you. I have lost a UEFA Cup final on penalties, so I know how bitter they are, what a lottery they are and what damage they can do to the players who miss them.

"It's one game. It's a very disappointing game but there are lots more games to play and I would expect these players to be very, very disappointed about their performance tonight, to learn from it, to bounce back and if they're going to be Liverpool players, to kick on from this very low point in everyone's career."

Reporters quizzed Hodgson on how big of a setback he felt the defeat was to the club.

He responded: "The fact is the Carling Cup is a competition which we are capable of doing well in and this is the third round, playing against a lower league club, so if it doesn't result in a victory it is a very negative thing.

"It's one of many setbacks we're facing at the moment and it's a tough period to work and live through, but we will work and live through it. We will survive it and get better. I will learn an awful lot from this defeat tonight about an awful lot of people.

"It's not just myself who will be disappointed and upset that things didn't go our way - there are lots of players who played tonight who will be disappointed as well."

Jonjo Shelvey's appearances as a substitute in extra-time helped lift Liverpool, with the midfielder playing a part in Ngog's equaliser.

Hodgson said: "He did well but the fact is he came on in extra-time and people were tiring. We think Jonjo Shelvey is a player with a bright future, but I have to say I am not in the mood for talking about positives.

"We wanted to do well in the Carling Cup and we haven't. We were given a fairly kind draw if you look at the other teams we could have drawn. If you get a team from three leagues below you, you're expect to win and when you don't win, then you can expect to be criticsed from the top downwards.

"We must all take responsibility and I am bitterly disappointed that the team I had so much faith in did not repay that faith this evening, with the exception of one or two."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/roy-s-reaction-to-cup-exit
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,625 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1089: Sep 23, 2010 12:18:36 am
      We should sign some of those Northampton wingers. They look boss :( Wilson not a capable left back. Darby or Kelly would have done better in that position. . . IMO. Shelvey would have given us more going forward beside Lucas. Oh and when did we forget how to pressurise the other team when they had the ball. All this stepping off nonsense is driving me mad
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1090: Sep 23, 2010 12:21:31 am
      Theres being polite but...

Hodgson always is bigging up the opposition and congratulating them when we lose.
      FFS.

Get nasty Woy. Get into a moaning wimping Wenger contesting everything if you want but dont go around polishing everyones f...ing shoes.

No killer instinct.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,671 posts | 6963 
      Reply #1091: Sep 23, 2010 12:23:36 am
      Even the official twitter site are taking the piss now.

Get on to the link.

crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #1092: Sep 23, 2010 12:23:59 am
      Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming.

Wait...what?  Unbelievable, maybe I'll believe it tomorrow when we get marauded by the papers not that it would be undeserved.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1093: Sep 23, 2010 12:24:12 am
      We should sign some of those Northampton wingers. They look boss :( Wilson not a capable left back. Darby or Kelly would have done better in that position. . . IMO. Shelvey would have given us more going forward beside Lucas. Oh and when did we forget how to pressurise the other team when they had the ball. All this stepping off nonsense is driving me mad

Wilson isn't a left back though, he's a centre back.  Roy's team selection & tactics have a lot to answer for.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,671 posts | 6963 
      Reply #1094: Sep 23, 2010 12:25:26 am
      Wilson isn't a left back though, he's a centre back.

Babel's not a footballer either.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #1095: Sep 23, 2010 12:28:03 am
      Theres being polite but...

Hodgson always is bigging up the opposition and congratulating them when we lose.
      FFS.

Get nasty Woy. Get into a moaning wimping Wenger contesting everything if you want but dont go around polishing everyones f...ing shoes.

No killer instinct.

Bang on.

He's too nice, he has to realise sooner rather than later, we have a lot of enemies out there and I'm not even talking about other clubs. The people who were praising him last season will turn on him very soon, the commentators on City tonight sounded like they already have.

All the problems at the club aren't necessarily his fault, but he's not helping himself. He also said pre-match that Northampton would be a formidable challenge.

Sorry, but in no way should he be describing Northampton as a formidable challenge.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,625 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1096: Sep 23, 2010 12:29:52 am
      I know where Wilson should play mate. Centre backs can rarely step out into the full back position comfortably. Obviously Roy thought he would try him, maybe with a view to using him there more often, but it was a bad choice. . . As is everytime Babel skulks around a pitch
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #1097: Sep 23, 2010 12:30:20 am
      I thought it was a positive (kind of) that our two more promising talents Pacheco and Kelly both had better games than any of the others.

Babel played shittest by far. Hope he's gone by January, he's had enough chances.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #1098: Sep 23, 2010 12:30:29 am
      Babel can't be blamed not saying he was outstanding by any stretch of the imagination but he weren't that bad. Not significantly worse than anyone else, he made some few nifty little plays.

Going by Roy's comments suggest he isn't giving the younger players another chance for now. Oh wait, we're crashing out of games to play them.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1099: Sep 23, 2010 12:31:55 am
      Babel's not a footballer either.

He's a rap star.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #1100: Sep 23, 2010 12:32:18 am
      The manager carries the responsibility.Whatever team he decides to put out,is his responsibility.Against my better judgment,I now call for his reignation,IMO he is not fit for the job.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4949 
      Reply #1101: Sep 23, 2010 12:33:54 am
      Roy's reaction to cup exit
      "But we weren't and that's because we didn't play well enough, didn't pass the ball well enough throughout the game and you must give some credit to Northampton who worked extremely hard and I'm sure they'll go away feeling they have stolen nothing here tonight and were worth their victory."
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/roy-s-reaction-to-cup-exit

So the manager admits that the team he picked didn't play well enough to beat a side in the bottom division yet he doesn't think to make at least one substitution in 90 minutes to try and change the game. He clearly seen that we were not playing well enough so why not make a change?

The players have to take some of the blame as well for this result but it is not good enough for the manager to admit we weren't good enough yet sit in the dug out for 90 minutes and od nothing about it.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #1102: Sep 23, 2010 12:35:30 am
      The manager carries the responsibility.Whatever team he decides to put out,is his responsibility.Against my better judgment,I now call for his resignation,IMO he is not fit for the job.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,671 posts | 6963 
      Reply #1103: Sep 23, 2010 12:35:54 am
      I thought it was a positive (kind of) that our two more promising talents Pacheco and Kelly both had better games than any of the others.

Babel played shittest by far. Hope he's gone by January, he's had enough chances.

Agree.

Quick Reply