Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Could this be the problem with the squad?

Read 12132 times
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Re: Could this be the problem with the squad?
      Reply #23: Sep 28, 2010 09:21:18 am
      Do we support LFC or Fernando Torres? I keep hearing/reading that "Torres" has been lied to about signings. With all due respect, why is anyone discussing transfers with him at all? The club doesn't need to pander to "his" requirements and sign players to keep "him" happy. Don't get me wrong, I think he has been an excellent signing and when on form is one of the top strikers in the world but he needs to know his place. I don't see any one else in the squad sulking about signings and they have just as much right to do so as FT does. Looks to me like he thinks he's bigger than club and THAT could be what's wrong with LFC!
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #24: Sep 28, 2010 09:22:15 am
      The only part of that bullsh*t article that has any truth is the part on Carragher,he has been struggling of late.
      I am one of the few that thinks its time to give Skirtel and Agger a run together.

Why "mr average" Skrtel? Kyrgiakos is far superior.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #25: Sep 28, 2010 09:23:35 am

Do we support LFC or Fernando Torres? I keep hearing/reading that "Torres" has been lied to about signings. With all due respect, why is anyone discussing transfers with him at all? The club doesn't need to pander to "his" requirements and sign players to keep "him" happy. He is contracted to play football, not manage the team. Don't get me wrong, I think he has been an excellent signing and when on form is one of the top strikers in the world but he needs to know his place. I don't see any one else in the squad sulking about signings and they have just as much right to do so as FT does. Looks to me like he thinks he's bigger than club and THAT could be what's wrong with LFC!
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2010 09:31:18 am by carheex »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #26: Sep 28, 2010 09:29:53 am
      the rpibelem fo the squad. hicks m gillt.yeah
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #27: Sep 28, 2010 09:30:11 am
      Bullshit Alert!!

Start blaming Torres for various problems before he's sold next summer.

And the whitewashing continues.

Where was this sh*te last season when Gerrard sulked his way through large parts of it?

The difference is, Gerrard has been at the club his whole life and is more entitled that anyone to have a dip in form and be depressed about what is going on. Torres has only been here 5 minutes and needs to pay his dues before he starts sulking and asking for changes. If only a handful of the rumours about Torres are true then we've got a right little primadonna on our hands and that's the last thing we need when we're up against it.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #28: Sep 28, 2010 09:30:46 am
      the rpibelem fo the squad. hicks m gillt.yeah

a bit early to start drinking isn't it?
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #29: Sep 28, 2010 09:43:45 am
      Spamming?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #30: Sep 28, 2010 10:25:01 am
      If you're going to write stuff like this then at least have the balls to put your name to it !!!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #31: Sep 28, 2010 10:30:25 am
      I disagree with large portions of that article.

Carraghers huge lack of form?
      Come on! Hes the only guy we can rely on to give 100% every game and get the ball away from our goal if Reina doesnt!
      And if he has a bad game he should be dropped from the next? If we applied this to all our players, we would have a different team every game!

Take the captaincy away from Gerrard?
      For what? he has been better this season than last, and the only driving force of the team at times, commited & talented.
      He does not deserve to have the captaincy taken from him.

And more pressure on Torres? Just what he needs!
      He has been frustrated with his injuries & lack of service, to put this down to him not wanting to be here anymore is ridiculous- talk about reading too much into it!
      We are all upset, angry & frustrated with the way our team is performing, the results & the owners- just like the players!!
      So why is their commitment questioned and ours is not?
      Torres is as commited to our team as we are, we have no reason to believe otherwise, just media bullshit.

And as stated at the end of the article- no-one is `passing the buck` every player has said they need to work harder, roll their sleeves up & perfom better.

say it like it is ms :)

completely agree, nothing else to add to this. the only thing i would say is that carra isn't getting any younger and agger/skrtl partnership is the future but that's perhaps next season to start thinking about that.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #32: Sep 28, 2010 11:16:37 am
      The problem with the squad is two words Roy Hodgson
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #33: Sep 28, 2010 11:32:12 am
      The problem with the squad is lack of investment.

I said the same in Rafa's tenure and I'll say the same in Roy's.

Keeping hold of the spine of your team is a must if you want to be successful, by keeping hold of the spine of the squad you get to add better players to the squad every transfer window, thus your spine grows and becomes stronger, gives all your players a lift and breeds a winners mentality.

When players from the spine of your squad are lost and replaced with inferior players and no significant investment materialises to strengthen in other areas it breeds negativity, this negativity is made worse when as a team your making a net profit in the transfer window and making your squad as a whole weaker.

Roy has to take some of the blame as he has got some good players at his disposal and it's his duty to pick the team select his tactics and make do the best he can with the hand he has been dealt.

The players have to take their fair shame of the blame as when they cross that white line onto the pitch its up to them to put in a shift and give us a performance that reflects their talents.

But overall the Blame lies Firmly at Tom & Georges feet as we would not be looking to blame any one else had investment not been witheld over the last 5 transfer windows.

Add Roys net spend to the last 4 windows under Rafa our average transfer window net spend is around £2m net.

Is that good enough for any club with Domestic and European ambitions ?

That is where the problem lies overall.
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2010 11:41:40 am by RedLFCBlood »
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #34: Sep 28, 2010 01:03:43 pm
      I would nearly give the captaincy to Reina permanently, he has all the attributes for it. It's not out of dis-respect for gerrard, I see it as less of a burden for him. He already is carrying the club. I see it as a weight off of his shoulders. Look at how Sami played after the captaincy was taken off of him, played much better
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #35: Sep 28, 2010 05:27:34 pm
      If you're going to write stuff like this then at least have the balls to put your name to it !!!

THE writer
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #36: Sep 28, 2010 05:35:36 pm
      a bit early to start drinking isn't it?

Well being that im in the USA, it was about right :D

I think i was trying to say the problem is the owners.. but that article is a bit of a sh*t-stir. Heaping the pressure on those players particularly is just giving the others a pass. We need ALL players to improve as a collective, thats the way we will improve. Especially Torres, he aint gonna improve and stop sulking or whatever the article says if he aint got good, creative play around him to feed off.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #37: Sep 28, 2010 05:53:04 pm
      The main and root of all problems are definitely the owners and their lack of investment.

Under these two yanks, Rafa did make poor signings or throw alot of money on average players but that's because he was in the rebuilding process in his first few, probably five years. So, surely he's had to pay money and he had very little choice but to go for quantity and not the best quality. For example, he probably let go 2-3 players a summer and it's probably too risky to actually buy one. (You lose three, and gain one). Also, with the rate how Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man United and now Man City inflate prices, it was not easy to replace those 2-3 or even one player with a player(s) of better quality.

Without going too much into that part of the topic, this then leads to probably a weaker bench and if the main starting eleven suffers any kind of problems (injuries, suspensions and etc.), their replacements can't do their job effectively and as a result, our performances and subsequently results, suffer. This not only effect those, but probably the mentality of the players as well.

Obviously, the manager and the players have to take the blame as well but there's just so much a manager can do and for the players, not easy because expectations will always be high because they are representing the biggest club in the world. Whether they are fit to represent Liverpool FC, is another story.

In short, if we had no ownership and investment issues, there probably would be much, MUCH happier squad and everything else will look better and this article probably won't be here!
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #38: Sep 28, 2010 06:35:16 pm
      I disagree with large portions of that article.

Carraghers huge lack of form?
      Come on! Hes the only guy we can rely on to give 100% every game and get the ball away from our goal if Reina doesnt!
      And if he has a bad game he should be dropped from the next? If we applied this to all our players, we would have a different team every game!

Take the captaincy away from Gerrard?
      For what? he has been better this season than last, and the only driving force of the team at times, commited & talented.
      He does not deserve to have the captaincy taken from him.

And more pressure on Torres? Just what he needs!
      He has been frustrated with his injuries & lack of service, to put this down to him not wanting to be here anymore is ridiculous- talk about reading too much into it!
      We are all upset, angry & frustrated with the way our team is performing, the results & the owners- just like the players!!
      So why is their commitment questioned and ours is not?
      Torres is as commited to our team as we are, we have no reason to believe otherwise, just media bullshit.

And as stated at the end of the article- no-one is `passing the buck` every player has said they need to work harder, roll their sleeves up & perfom better.
      Spot on! what's the point in dropping our best players, when we have no one close to replacing them! It's ridiculous
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #39: Sep 28, 2010 07:55:11 pm
      The problem with the squad is two owners who give americans a bad name and their cronies ,sort them out and the rest will fall into place i'm sure .I think the senior players we all rely on week in week out love the club so much that the pressure to do well in difficult times causes errors in judgement ,when the team start to play well again they will rise to the occasion i feel .
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #40: Sep 28, 2010 07:56:39 pm
      The problem with the squad is two owners who give americans a bad name and their cronies ,sort them out and the rest will fall into place I'm sure .I think the senior players we all rely on week in week out love the club so much that the pressure to do well in difficult times causes errors in judgement ,when the team start to play well again they will rise to the occasion I feel .

here here!
      All comes down to getting the the yanks out!
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #41: Sep 28, 2010 08:07:40 pm
      Don't agree with this article
      I heard similar stuff about sammy but he can still do a good job and i hope he returns one day to help coach our defence.
      One thing about carra is , you never see him sulking or not trying and also lets be honest the boys been a lot busier recently because the team hasn't played well.
      You might be able to drift out of the game on the wing but you can't do that in defence.
      If you are constantly having to defend , you're going to make a mistake sooner or later.
      The team needs to attack more and give a breather to our over worked defence.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #42: Sep 28, 2010 09:52:48 pm
      It's no surprise Torres and Gerrard look pissed off sometimes. When you look at the squads of Mun U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now even Spurs. There are a lot more quality individuals in those squads than we have in ours. After all the promises. we get to see these other teams pass us by in terms of buying power and we get what you might call second tier players, some on free transfers just to try and keep pace. Exasperation does set in when you are not getting players alond side you, to perform at the same level as yourself. Even in kids football, get one or two weaker players in a side and the better players soon get fed up with the lack of coherance or fluidity in their play.  We do have a few better technical players this year in Maxi and Mereiles but they need time to come to terrms with the pace ofthe prem. Then we have Poulson who doesn't look at the moment like he ever will. Johnson would be more effective as a right mid fielder, Ngog, Lucas and Babel along with Poulson, just not top drawer.  We don't have a team all working on the same level.  We've got a few Rolls Royces, but a lot more Ford Fiestas than the other top teams.  I'm not a lover of Roy Hodgeson, but whoever was manager, Investment in the squad is necessary and we just haven't had it. Fergie says Rafa spent more than Utd over the last four years on players. The difference is Fergie is able to splash out £ 30 odd million on one player to strengthen an already expensive squad. Rafa only got £ 30 mill in dribs and drabs and was only ever able to compete for players in the 8 and 10 mill bracket apart from Torres. Pretty ordinary players as we have found out. Only serious investment in the squad will change the attitude of the top players, when they have team mates  playing and thinking and seeing on the same level. I'm a bricky by trade and I'd get seriously pissed off if the bricky on the other end of the line was laying 25% less than me, and then I had to go and tidy his work up as well. It's not just about effort, it's about ability and effort combined. New owners with decent investment will make all the difference. Not just to the club, but to the attitude of all the top players. It's a natural human reaction, you can only put up with working with lesser individuals for so long before it effects your enthusiasm. Don't lets  attack the players when we full know where the problems manifest from.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #43: Sep 28, 2010 10:55:12 pm
      It's no surprise Torres and Gerrard look pissed off sometimes. When you look at the squads of Mun U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now even Spurs.  

Read your post.

I never get into the transfer funds arguments. But it seems we the fans sum up the entirety of Rafa's reign and the lack of transfer funds to the H&G era of 2007 to date. People seem to forget that Gerrard and Carragher are the only survivors of the team Rafa inherited from Houllier.

How many players have moved in and out since 2004 - 2010? Compare that with the other teams if you want to compare strength of squad. It might reveal some other facts we all avoid.

Arsenal should not even be included in the list of Teams who have invested more and better than Liverpool FC seeing that a lot of their players were Academy products and Bargain basement players.

What happened to our Academy why are players not making it into the first team? seeing that the Academy had received good investment?

Concerning Torres, I hope he start banging in goals again. His number is on my Jersey. We all, however, need to stop deceiving ourselves and blaming his dipped form on the lack of quality to feed off. That is crap. That is like blaming everyone else for his situation. When N'gog underperforms, N'gog is sh*t; but when Torres underperforms, the remaining eight players on the pitch are crap. That is disgusting.

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2010 11:07:46 pm by solodee »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #44: Sep 29, 2010 12:34:43 am
      The difference is, Gerrard has been at the club his whole life and is more entitled that anyone to have a dip in form and be depressed about what is going on. Torres has only been here 5 minutes and needs to pay his dues before he starts sulking and asking for changes. If only a handful of the rumours about Torres are true then we've got a right little primadonna on our hands and that's the last thing we need when we're up against it.

Funny that lad, seeing as Gerrard's been here all his life and Torres has only been here five minutes, how come along with Reina who's only been here ten minutes, those two FOREIGNERS have actually spoken out continuously about the owners and the problems they are causing the club yet the club captain who's been here his whole life still keeps his gob firmly shut?

And what is your problem or should that be agenda, with Torres?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #45: Sep 29, 2010 03:16:54 am
      Arsenal should not even be included in the list of Teams who have invested more and better than Liverpool FC seeing that a lot of their players were Academy products and Bargain basement players.

Bollocks.

Arsenal produce less academy kids than most sides in the League. They simply pinch kids from other clubs (Fabregas from Barcelona, Walcott from Southampton, Ramsey from Cardiff, Van Persie from Feyenoord, Vela from whichever Mexican side he came from, Clichy from whichever French side he came from) and then they try and make out they have a great set of kids. They don't, they just pinch players from other clubs.

With the exception of Ashley Cole, they haven't produced a real regular in their side in the last decade. Their great youth system was in effect in the late 80s early 90s with Merson, Adams, Parlour, Davis (probably a regular by the mid 80s to be fair), Rocastle all breaking through.

Quick Reply