Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 335373 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?
      Reply #1127: Jan 10, 2014 10:51:38 am
      Many would disagree that a new stadium would be a good thing.

By the time you've refurbished the whole stadium, isn't it a new stadium any way, like Trigger's broom!

Triggers New Broom, The Ship of Theseus
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #1128: Jan 10, 2014 10:20:58 pm
      Many would disagree that a new stadium would be a good thing.

He has not said a new stadium is the only option, more like we cant just not do anything if we are to move forward.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #1129: Jan 10, 2014 11:14:25 pm
      He has not said a new stadium is the only option...

I can read, thank you. I never suggested that he did.

He was saying that a refurbishment or a new stadium could only be a good thing. My point is that there would be a lot of objection to the second suggestion, a new stadium. The idea has not gone down well in the past with large sections of fans who are concerned about the club losing identity, not to mention concerns over how such a venture would be financed.

I wasn't even saying that I agree or disagree with that feeling but I do disagree that a new stadium could only be a good thing.

By the time you've refurbished the whole stadium, isn't it a new stadium any way, like Trigger's broom!

True enough, Rodders (and I even knew what you meant without the clip, haha).
      No part of the ground now is exactly the same as when it was first constructed and no doubt it will eventually look completely different again, even if we stay put.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1130: Jan 11, 2014 12:08:30 am
      He has not said a new stadium is the only option, more like we cant just not do anything if we are to move forward.

If we are to ''move forward'' any positive indication of intent would be welcome.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1131: Jan 11, 2014 06:57:04 am
      If we are to ''move forward'' any positive indication of intent would be welcome.

I just hope I can hang around long enough to see what is eventually done with MY ANFIELD. We have had so many false starts it puts so many doubts in my mind that the status quo will still be the same in 20 years time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1132: Jan 11, 2014 10:38:33 am
      I just hope I can hang around long enough to see what is eventually done with MY ANFIELD. We have had so many false starts it puts so many doubts in my mind that the status quo will still be the same in 20 years time.

I'm sure you will Billy; my optimism is more about hope for your health and prosperity than any positivity concerning FSG.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1133: Jan 13, 2014 11:25:00 pm

I'm sure you will Billy; my optimism is more about hope for your health and prosperity than any positivity concerning FSG.

;D
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1134: Jan 19, 2014 09:12:55 pm
      Took the Americans 8 years to walk on the moon from the plans inception

Why the F**k are we 3 years plus into these half-wits stewardship of LFC and no further ahead with redevelopment?
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #1135: Jan 19, 2014 10:31:45 pm
      But will a redeveloped Anfield improve the atmosphere?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1136: Jan 29, 2014 03:47:19 am
      When are we going to get updates on this? Like other fans here, I'll only believe stadium redevelopment when its finished.

It took Arsenal 6 years from finding a site on Ashburton Grove to opening the Emirates Stadium. It's taken us decades just to make a decision.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #1137: Jan 30, 2014 04:36:31 pm
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1138: Jan 30, 2014 07:03:51 pm
      Does anyone know what the official capacity is going to be? Several sources are saying 60k whilst the Telegraph today reported 55k.

Liverpool aim to submit planning application for Anfield redevelopment before end of season
      Liverpool hope to submit a planning application for Anfield stadium redevelopment before the end of the season.

One of the key, final hurdles preventing the formal unveiling of plans - which would seek to expand the iconic arena to an estimated 55,000 capacity - could be removed in the next eight weeks.

Liverpool City Council today released a consultation document which, if agreed with politicians and residents by April, would facilitate the broader £260m regeneration of the Anfield area, of which the stadium is an essential component.

After so many setbacks in their stadium projects - primarily under previous Kop regimes - current owners Fenway Sports Group have studiously avoided making any promises or announcing specific deadlines for work to begin at Anfield.

The Merseyside club is still cautious about making any public declaration on time scales or the nature of their designs, but has welcomed the next significant stage of what has been a time-consuming and often frustrating process.

Liverpool's hierarchy have adopted a policy the polar opposite to their predecessors, who unveiled and secured permission for lavish plans for a new arena before they had the finance to pay for it, ensuring the blueprint simply gathered dust before being postponed entirely.

The current policy is to ensure the first architect's plans of the redeveloped Anfield will be in the public domain after residents and local businesses have been given an opportunity to scrutinise and support them.

Principal owner John W. Henry has already stated once Liverpool secure planning permission, the revenue is in place to begin construction.

What is made clear in today's Liverpool City Council document - the 'Anfield Spatial Regeneration Framework' - is there will be two phases to Liverpool's expansion, with Main Stand development the first priority. This will become the biggest stand in the ground, eclipsing The Kop.

A second phase - to expand the Anfield Road section of the ground - will take place after the Main Stand is rebuilt, but planning permission for both projects will be pursued at the same time.

Liverpool say there will be no decrease in the current 44,000 capacity while the arena is redeveloped.

Liverpool appointed London-based architects KSS to work on their proposed redevelopment last year.

KSS oversaw the design of executive areas at the City of Manchester Stadium in 2002, the Chelsea Village at Stamford Bridge and have also designed the proposed new stadium for Spurs.

As well as securing political and residential agreement, delays have been caused by the requirement to secure land adjacent to Anfield, but there are now only two property owners - landlords who have two houses each - who are still in negotiations.

There is confidence a deal is close to being struck with those involved and, for the first time, there is cautious optimism from all parties the process is reaching the point where the club can begin to consider the possibilities. A planning application is conceivable by April, the difference with previous applications being - by that stage - there could be a broad consensus both politically and in the neighbourhood to ensure swift progress.

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre said: "The publication of the draft SRF document is another important step in the regeneration project as we continue the exciting journey to transform the Anfield area.

"Any final decision regarding a future stadium expansion continues to be based on certainty - a certainty that we can obtain the necessary land around the stadium to facilitate the expansion; certainty that there is demand for any future expansion; certainty that we have home owners' support; and certainty we can navigate the complex planning landscape.”

Liverpool Major Joe Anderson said: "The publication of today's draft SRF sends a very clear message to people of North Liverpool: a brighter Anfield is coming.

"This is one of the most important milestones in the recent history of north Liverpool. These plans have evolved over the last year thanks to the people of Anfield themselves. Now we want those residents and businesses to speak to us again and let us know if they want these plans to become a reality.”

The stadium issue has been fundamental to Liverpool's recent history, impacting on every facet of the club since they first announced stadium plans in 1999. It was the reluctance of former chairman David Moores to risk the club's future and take a £200m bank loan to pay for a new stadium on Stanley Park that led him to seek a cash-rich buyer for the club.

What followed was the ill-fated decision to sell to Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who pursed an alternative stadium plan worth £400 million that they could never afford to realise. They were forced to sell the club by the Royal Bank of Scotland as the club's debt mounted, and their dysfunctional regime ended with the club dropping out of the Champions League - where they're still trying to get back.

John W. Henry has been trying to deal with this tainted legacy for the last four years and will hope today represents another significant step forward in his vision to rebuild Anfield in the same way he did the Boston Red Sox's spiritual home, Fenway Park.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10607548/Liverpool-aim-to-submit-planning-application-for-Anfield-redevelopment-before-end-of-season.html
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1139: Jan 30, 2014 08:54:37 pm
      I'm sure I've read it's more towards 60,000?

Interesting this article says there will be no reduction in capacity if/when the work starts.

Light at the end of a (very long) tunnel....lets hope so!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #1140: Jan 30, 2014 09:56:21 pm
      Is there any room for expansion or is that it?.
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2014 10:45:12 pm by redtiler »
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #1141: Jan 30, 2014 11:19:11 pm
      Can I just add 'cost effective'. sad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1142: Jan 31, 2014 12:51:50 pm
      Can I just add 'cost effective'. sad.

What's wrong with cost effective?
      Would you rather needlessly spunk a load of money on it and have none left for players?
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2014 01:06:44 pm by Swab »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1143: Jan 31, 2014 02:46:35 pm
      If Linda is doing her job right JH shouldn't have that long too go anyway. she must be more demanding of him IMHO.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #1144: Jan 31, 2014 05:19:34 pm
      Making more people in North Liverpool leave their lifelong homes so they can expand Anfield. No wonder the North of the city looks like a ghost town, everywhere boarded up. Ridiculous.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #1145: Jan 31, 2014 06:06:30 pm
      What's wrong with cost effective?
      Would you rather needlessly spunk a load of money on it and have none left for players?

we're not doing too well on the money spent on players either. Very cost effective
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1146: Feb 02, 2014 06:27:09 pm
      Is there any room for expansion or is that it?.

When it is done they will have squeezed out every last sq. meter of space to put a seat in it...that I can guarantee.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1147: Feb 02, 2014 07:16:45 pm
      When it is done they will have squeezed out every last sq. meter of space to put a seat in it...that I can guarantee.

Fair play to you AZP on tring to use the metric system.  ;D

But I wondered what a meter was, but it's an American metre, and funnily enough, my spell checker does not recognise metre!  :f_whistle:

I have just popped over to Skyscraper City, but they don't have any new plans yet.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=210414&page=33

This Main Stand expansion will be interesting as they will need to get rid of the view restricting pillars.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1148: Feb 02, 2014 08:05:00 pm
      Fair play to you AZP on tring to use the metric system.  ;D

But I wondered what a meter was, but it's an American metre, and funnily enough, my spell checker does not recognise metre!  :f_whistle:

I have just popped over to Skyscraper City, but they don't have any new plans yet.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=210414&page=33

This Main Stand expansion will be interesting as they will need to get rid of the view restricting pillars.

If there is a potential view of the pitch from the lavatory then FSG will figure out a way to put in some seats and sell them

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1149: Feb 02, 2014 08:15:56 pm
      Took the Americans 8 years to walk on the moon from the plans inception

Why the f**k are we 3 years plus into these half-wits stewardship of LFC and no further ahead with redevelopment?

Because compulsory purchase takes time and is a council responsiblity, not a club one  :roll:

Quick Reply