Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2766052 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #30222: Jan 12, 2022 02:59:30 pm
      Don't know anyone on here 'demanding' 100mill signings. Think people are realistic. Even though competitors do this.
      We might, but we'd have to sell a star.

And I absolutely don't know anyone who doesn't want young players coming through.

Who wouldn't get excited about a 100mil signing? I mean that's human nature right? But I don't see anyone saying "If we don't sign Haaland or Mbappe we aren't showing ambition".

I'd love for us to be at the level where we could be in the market for those players because I think there's a couple things at play there: those players are the closest there are to a "sure thing" that there is right now and if we aren't in for players like that, another team that directly competes with us will be so our loss becomes their gain unless we unearth some academy or youth gems that no one knows about, or unless we turn a good player, into a great one (Salah). And the fact is, the chances of that type of transformation are probably not near as likely as the likelihood that a player like an Mbappe or a Haaland becomes world class. So yes, much bigger investment, but the "risk" is lower.

Regardless of what type of model you believe we should be employing, my personal feeling right now is that we have a good enough squad to win the league (and Big Ears) if we stay pretty close to 100% healthy, but if we are hit by injuries or absences, it feels like those things will derail our efforts. So in my mind what needs to happen (decisions made by people smarter than myself) is we need to get to a point where that feeling is that we can absorb those hits and still be favorites or still leave the supporters feeling that we don't have to be perfect to win.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30223: Jan 12, 2022 03:30:25 pm
      In a word yes.

If we really believe Jones and Elliott are ready then you have to give them enough games to enable that progression.

Well I want us to strengthen the squad, improve the first XI, 'as well as' bring through young players.

Actually seems strange having to argue this. 
      Don't know any other team challenging for trophies that relies solely on young players coming through, and who don't also invest in experienced players.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30224: Jan 12, 2022 03:32:12 pm
      Ive never mentioned anyone on this forum, I mean in instagram, noseybook and twitterland. ;D

OK, fair enough  :gt-happyup:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30225: Jan 12, 2022 03:40:54 pm
      It's the fan boys new argument. Noticed this one for about a week now.

Yeah, we all want marquee 100mill signings, don't want new players given a chance, signing players is risky, we signed replacements last year.

Tbh it might be better for the FGSers if don't sign anyone in January - if we do, FSG will be going against all their arguments, and how would that be explained.

Don't think they will though  :roll:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #30226: Jan 12, 2022 03:48:46 pm
      Well I want us to strengthen the squad, improve the first XI, 'as well as' bring through young players.

Actually seems strange having to argue this. 
      Don't know any other team challenging for trophies that relies solely on young players coming through, and who don't also invest in experienced players.

I'm pretty sure I never said that.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30227: Jan 12, 2022 03:52:15 pm

there are some proper moon howlers out there in the tinternet. ;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30228: Jan 12, 2022 03:52:40 pm
      Don't know anyone on here 'demanding' 100mill signings. Think people are realistic. Even though competitors do this.
      We might, but we'd have to sell a star.

And I absolutely don't know anyone who doesn't want young players coming through.

Is this not just going around in circles ?

At the end of the day what we want as fans in regards players is irrelevant- it’s down to the manager and recruitment etc

Klopp has shown that he is more than happy to bring kids through instead of buying players

The Elliot/Gini situation is perfect example - he alluded to the fact that if someone was bought etc then it would have potentially stopped Elliot showing what a great player he is - it was the same with TAA

But there is no process sheet that must be followed - They will look at each situation and judge each one separately

They have shown over the last 5/6 years that they get things right and the balance is spot on - both in terms of youth development and buying players - there are many fingers that can be pointed

They will always buy the player that fits the system and the way they want to work regardless off price tag and if they think that player is already in the squad they will use that

All these choices are down to Edwards and Klopp
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30229: Jan 12, 2022 03:56:35 pm
      I'd love for us to be at the level where we could be in the market for those players because I think there's a couple things at play there: those players are the closest there are to a "sure thing" that there is right now and if we aren't in for players like that, another team that directly competes with us will be so our loss becomes their gain unless we unearth some academy or youth gems that no one knows about, or unless we turn a good player, into a great one (Salah).

Don't think anyone thinks we're going to spend 100mill on a player/buy a star, without having to sell one of our big players.
      But if we do plan to sign someone like that for that money, and move on a current star, then so be it, let's consider that.

Buying a player in the 20-40mill bracket, and turning them into a better player - we've been good at that.
      Or I should say, Jürgen and his staff have been good at. 
      Mane & Salah are good examples.
      That would not be mega bucks.

And we've also had success paying a good bit less, like on Robbo, Matip, and have those guys playing XI football.

Jürgen has a record of improving players hugely.  And a good job for FGS that he has been able to do that.

This is not to say we don't bring young players through, and Jones, Elliot, Morton etc. have contributed this year and will continue to.

Yes we have a lot of very very good players. But do I think we can still improve the squad - definitely.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30230: Jan 12, 2022 03:59:50 pm

Is this not just going around in circles ?

Yes, but don't think it's only the people who think FSG should invest more are the only ones causing this to go around in circles.

And time anyone says anything against FSG you disagree. Pretty much anything.  If that's not going around in circles, I don't know what is.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30231: Jan 12, 2022 04:01:09 pm
      I'm pretty sure I never said that.

Q. if Jürgen wants to sign a midfielder, who is more experienced than Elliot/Jones, and gives him different options to them, are you saying we should not sign that player because that might block those lads from playing more games?

A. In a word yes.
      If we really believe Jones and Elliott are ready then you have to give them enough games to enable that progression.

Am just going off this conversation. Maybe I mistook something.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #30232: Jan 12, 2022 04:04:51 pm
      Q. if Jürgen wants to sign a midfielder, who is more experienced than Elliot/Jones, and gives him different options to them, are you saying we should not sign that player because that might block those lads from playing more games?

A. In a word yes.

Am just going off this conversation. Maybe I mistook something.

Yea in the current scenario where we had 8/9 CM for three positions.

I'm not saying that you never buy the experienced player just that if you think a young player is ready in the coming season you don't buy a player that will still leave that young player on the bench.

We could have bought a new experienced RB when Jürgen knew Clyne wasn't for him but he trusted Trent and gave him room to become the player he is now.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30233: Jan 12, 2022 04:06:09 pm
      Yes, but don't think it's only the people who think FSG should invest more are the only ones causing this to go around in circles.

And time anyone says anything against FSG you disagree. Pretty much anything.  If that's not going around in circles, I don't know what is.

And I guess you can only see it through your single POV

Team has a bad result, drops points - let’s point the finger at the owners for not spending their own money

Team wins well - all down to Klopp and the players

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #30234: Jan 12, 2022 04:09:53 pm
      How many young player have we let go under Klopp..?

Was it Klopp couldn’t turn them into superstars..?

Was it because of a lack of games...?

Big transfer player stopping progression...?

Or just not good enough for LFC...?

Club cashing in on the conveyor belt..?

For every Trent or Elliot there is a Wilson & Brewster....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #30235: Jan 12, 2022 04:12:01 pm

Not sure what point you're trying to make?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #30236: Jan 12, 2022 04:12:22 pm

And every Wilson and Brewster pays for a Thiago!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30237: Jan 12, 2022 04:19:38 pm

idiot
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30238: Jan 12, 2022 04:20:43 pm

What’s the point you’re trying to make 🤷‍♂️
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #30239: Jan 12, 2022 04:41:00 pm

Team has a bad result, drops points - let’s point the finger at the owners for not spending their own money

Are people saying the owners should spend their own money? I for one don't think I've ever insinuated that. I've only ever said maybe there are times when we consider a loan (possibly from the owners to the club) to finance a calculated risk when we supposedly don't have the funds to buy a really in demand player. Sometimes you have to speculate a bit to hit a homerun (something FSG knows pretty well). They didn't become billionaires by sitting around making risk adverse decisions.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30240: Jan 12, 2022 04:44:57 pm
      Are people saying the owners should spend their own money? I for one don't think I've ever insinuated that. I've only ever said maybe there are times when we consider a loan (possibly from the owners to the club) to finance a calculated risk when we supposedly don't have the funds to buy a really in demand player. Sometimes you have to speculate a bit to hit a homerun (something FSG knows pretty well). They didn't become billionaires by sitting around making risk adverse decisions.

Yes people are saying they should spend their own money

And who pays back the loans you want them to take out ?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30241: Jan 12, 2022 04:46:30 pm

Think you're implying I'm knee jerking when we have a bad result.
      But we've been 'going in round circles' since last summer.

Am not saying the topic of FSG doesn't come up after bad results.
      Just that we've been talking about this since well before this season started.

By the way, we also have FSGers in match threads doing the same thing, but the opposite, if you know what I mean.
      So when we are doing well, wondering where the FSG moaners/bed wetters are.
      When not doing well, ah here come the moaners from under their rocks again after a bad result.

Works both ways.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30242: Jan 12, 2022 04:48:14 pm
      Think you're implying I'm knee jerking when we have a bad result.
      But we've been 'going in round circles' since last summer.

Am not saying the topic of FSG doesn't come up after bad results.
      Just that we've been talking about this since well before this season started.

By the way, we also have FSGers in match threads doing the same thing, but the opposite, if you know what I mean.
      So when we are doing well, wondering where the FSG moaners/bed wetters are.
      When not doing well, ah here come the moaners from under their rocks again after a bad result.

Works both ways.

What’s an fsgers 🤷‍♂️
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #30243: Jan 12, 2022 04:57:18 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #30244: Jan 12, 2022 05:04:33 pm
      Yes people are saying they should spend their own money

And who pays back the loans you want them to take out ?

The club does. This isn't hard.

Quick Reply