Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The confusion of our Starting XL - Gerrard, Sissoko, Masch, Alonso????????

Read 4339 times
      sell73out
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Re: The confusion of our Starting XL - Gerrard, Sissoko, Masch, Alonso????????
      Reply #23: Jul 11, 2007 10:47:19 pm
      Javier is our best defensive midfielder, not Sissoko or Alonso.. just making my point clear! :)

I totally agree with you on Masch. It took him a few games to bed in, but he was playing fantastically towards the end of the season. To be honest though, I don't see Alonso as a defensive midfielder (although he can fullfill that role) - I see him as more of a playmaker/passer and I think Rafa usually chooses him when we have a little more space and need to spread the ball around more.
      Momo on the other hand is certainly an out and out defensive player, but lacks the all round quality of Masch (who can certainly pass better! ;) ).

As Rafa said recently - It's about having options for different positions - different players will fit better depending on the opposition's, and our own, tactics.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2007 10:50:54 pm by sell73out »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: Jul 11, 2007 10:52:43 pm
      I totally agree with you on Masch. It took him a few games to bed in, but he was playing fantastically towards the end of the season. To be honest though, I don't see Alonso as a defensive midfielder (although he can fullfill that role) - I see him as more of a playmaker/passer and I think Rafa usually chooses him when we have a little more space and need to spread the ball around more.
      Momo on the other hand is certainly an out and out defensive player, but lacks the all round quality of Masch (who can certainly pass better! ;) ).

Completely disagree, Sissoko is not a defensive player, he's an aggresive ball winner higher up the pitch. If you look at where he spends his time during a game it's mostly in the opposition half. He's a great tackler, but he isn't a defensive player.

sell73out
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #25: Jul 11, 2007 10:56:35 pm
      Completely disagree, Sissoko is not a defensive player, he's an aggresive ball winner higher up the pitch. If you look at where he spends his time during a game it's mostly in the opposition half. He's a great tackler, but he isn't a defensive player.

He he, sorry, that was what I meant. I see defensive as ball winning (always my tactic when I play centre back - if they haven't got the ball, they can't score ;) ). But you are right, Momo does play higher up, and isn't the same type of player as Mash.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #26: Jul 12, 2007 02:45:54 am
      gerrard-marcherano,but xabi alonso is a great midfielder
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #27: Jul 12, 2007 10:23:35 am
      Thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posts!  ;D

It's going to be interesting to see how it really goes this season, as all options have been weighed up on this topic!  8) I can see Lucas Leiva coming good eventually, from what I have seen of him, he's something for the future! But technically that leaves us with 4 CM's!

Sissoko will be brought in for the passing sides, to force them to play (as was mentioned earlier) route one football! Teams like Arsenal will be disposed of much like last season at Anfield hopefully!  ;)

With regards to Gerrard, and all of these other combinations, can you really see Gerrard making way often for a Sissoko - Alonso combination for example? (assuming the right flank is already covered)

And on the subject of squad rotation (off topic for one brief moment) I think it's a healthy thing in a top flight squad! But it should be kept more consistent in the front line as partnerships need to be formed in order to create a better match understanding!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #28: Jul 12, 2007 12:31:30 pm
      I'd like to see Gerrard and Mascherano in the Centre - as the preffered first choice partnership.  BUT, I can't see Xabi being left-out. 

It's clear from the above replies that we now have variations to suit the different types of opposition.  Which I suppose we can't grumble...just hope everyone stays happy!

Another point.  Xabi and Sissoko have just signed long contracts - if you was them, what would you be demanding during contract talks - regular starts may be?
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #29: Jul 12, 2007 03:41:51 pm
                                                              reina

alves/finnan                    agger                        carragher                  aurellio/riise

mascha         alonso

quaresma/pennant                                                                            kewel/babel

stevie g.

torres

***I hope we get quaresma***
      I believe we have plenty of depth in our midfield as well as versatility....we can very well play and mix our formation around....mascha and alonso are generally defensive midfielders, they could play side by side, or one sitting infront of the other.....lucas leiva is more central/attacking....and momo is more defensive or central.....im just glad we can mix things up a little bit and have quality depth on the bench...
      in the event that we sign quaresma, him and kewel can rotate as they can play either side of the wing...an from what ive seen of babel, he could play on the right as well....
      stevie will play a more attacking role to support torres....rafa will give him the range and freedom to attack and take on defenders, as well supporting torres...I dont like the idea of stevie on the right, it pulls him out from the thick of th game and our attacking prowess....
      or, we could remove mascha or alonso (play one defensive midfielder), and throw kuyt upfront with stevie sitting behind the 2 strikers....
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2007 03:46:27 pm by scouser_10 »

Quick Reply