Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

How much time should Rafa have been given?

Read 25203 times
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Re: How much time should Rafa have been given?
      Reply #184: Nov 09, 2010 03:59:47 pm
      I think he should have been given way more time. But maybe I'm biased.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #185: Nov 09, 2010 04:02:01 pm
      RedLFCBlood - I just thought (like many others) that the football had gone stale last season and that a lot of the players were not performing for him leading to a lot of reports of him losing the dressing room. Sorry for having an opinion that you will not agree on but thats it regardless of what you are probably going to tell me regarding (of which I know about) Ste G, Carra, The Owners etc, etc. Off field issues aside I just feel that a change was needed.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #186: Nov 09, 2010 04:02:38 pm
      I was just trying to answer your point about age.

And all I'm saying is Woy would be better off in a retirement home!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #187: Nov 09, 2010 04:11:12 pm
      RedLFCBlood - I just thought (like many others) that the football had gone stale last season and that a lot of the players were not performing for him leading to a lot of reports of him losing the dressing room. Sorry for having an opinion that you will not agree on but thats it regardless of what you are probably going to tell me regarding (of which I know about) Ste G, Carra, The Owners etc, etc. Off field issues aside I just feel that a change was needed.

Not that many, many still wanted the fella to stay.

Still happy you wanted a change?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #188: Nov 09, 2010 04:11:55 pm

Thats fair enough mate, I just wanted to know why you felt it was time for him to go as you never stated why.

Do you think the football would have went stale had we had a proper transfer budget for the two seasons where we made a net transfer of profit £4.5m and do you think it could all have been avoided had that investment materialised ?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #189: Nov 09, 2010 08:51:00 pm
      Opinions are fine but if you base them on hear say and tittle tattle then some people will take issue with that. I have never seen anything about loosing the dressing room from any of the players or staff. its all the wonderful pro Rafa media at it as normal.There were a lot of issues surrounding the club and lack of investment in the team was one of the most devicisive issuses surrounding the club. the other is the myth that he left the club in turmoil and with a poor squad all fine in Anti Rafa media land but we sent more players to the world cup than anyone else. When it all boils down to it you can only slag him off for finishing 7th but surely considering the meltdown at boardroom level this was to be an expected  consequence of a divided club and one bad season in 6 wasnt too bad really.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #190: Nov 09, 2010 09:51:20 pm
      But thats what you have done mate, make a load of assumptions and accusations, I gave you and others a detailed factual break down of Rafa's spend every year he was here, it clearly showed lack of investment was a casue of our demise, so no assumptions on my part, as history has proven give Rafa money you'll progress, take money off him whilst everyone else around him are investing and you'll regress, so the only person you are making an ass of is yourself, although thats not an anagram of assume so doesn't fit your general comment.  ;)  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I wasn't going to go on discussing this with you.

But I really would like to know where you get or our financial spending from, it maybe right, but it maybe f**king wrong as well, for all I know you've made it up. So I won't comment of what you think he's spent.

I haven't assumed anything finishing seventh and playing turgid football was a FACT.

You assume had he the money he would have won us the league, that isn't necessarily true, because first you have to buy the right players and second you have to get the best out of them and Rafa certainly didn't get the best out of his players in his final season.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #191: Nov 09, 2010 09:58:07 pm
      was Rafa a people person - NO. Was he a football man - YES.

You said it.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #192: Nov 09, 2010 10:04:57 pm

You assume had he the money he would have won us the league

To be honest I wasent the biggest Rafa fan in his final months, but if he had the backing I beleive he would have won a lot more!

I agree with your centiment about net spend, its not a view I subscribe too... Spend 30Million on naff palyers regardless of how much you have recouped its still money spent badly. But I cant think of 1 team with a buy to sell policy that has won a lot in the last 10 years.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #193: Nov 09, 2010 10:05:23 pm
      I think Rafa is a great manager and a great bloke. My question would be this: Didn't he have a 5 year plan to win the premiership? I am pretty sure he did and he himself will feel that he failed but boy did he come close! We need continuity now.

Not that I remember at all.  That was not his style to make known his plans like that.  Maybe you are getting him mixed up with Gerard Houllier?

Isn't there some consideration that if you amass a brilliant team and come second, you still need to strengthen.  Think back to the summer of 09, and consider if we strengthened or not........

I'll make it easy.  We didn't.  The money was no more.  The rug had been pulled.  I'm pretty sure that sparked the rumours that Rafa had walked.

And in my opinion, the 'senior' players that sided with Purslow have a lot to answer for.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #194: Nov 09, 2010 10:52:24 pm
      To be honest I wasent the biggest Rafa fan in his final months, but if he had the backing I beleive he would have won a lot more!

I agree with your centiment about net spend, its not a view I subscribe too... Spend 30Million on naff palyers regardless of how much you have recouped its still money spent badly. But I cant think of 1 team with a buy to sell policy that has won a lot in the last 10 years.

I agree that if he had money he may have done more, I'm not dismissing the fact outright that his job was made much much harder than it needed to be.

But if we're going to look at football in monetary terms like Blood is doing, then how did a team assembled in a monetary value of what, say 120M pounds at least fail to be a Birmingham side that is barely worth half that, or even lose to a first division side like Reading in the FA cup, I think it was.

Also, lets not forget Man U sold their best player for 80Million pound didn't get to spend all that back in transfers and still managed to maintain a good team, and performances to boot.

A manager can make all the difference.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #195: Nov 09, 2010 10:58:38 pm
      But if we're going to look at football in monetary terms like Blood is doing, then how did a team assembled in a monetary value of what, say 120M pounds at least fail to be a Birmingham side that is barely worth half that, or even lose to a first division side like Reading in the FA cup, I think it was.

Imagine if we had gone and lost to someone two divisions lower than Reading!

Oh hang on.

RnR, your last 30 posts have been consigned to two threads - berating Rafa in here and berating Rafa/bigging up Roy in the other one.  At the minute picture yourself with a big flashing light across your head saying 'WUM?' that everyone can see.

Not many people get the allowance of a second chance on the forum so let's hope to see a wider array of your interests in Liverpool FC in your next selection of posts.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #196: Nov 09, 2010 11:09:08 pm
      Imagine if we had gone and lost to someone two divisions lower than Reading!

Oh hang on.

RnR, your last 30 posts have been consigned to two threads - berating Rafa in here and berating Rafa/bigging up Roy in the other one.  At the minute picture yourself with a big flashing light across your head saying 'WUM?' that everyone can see.

Not many people get the allowance of a second chance on the forum so let's hope to see a wider array of your interests in Liverpool FC in your next selection of posts.

Firstly JD, where I chose to post is my prerogative.

Secondly using the words 'berating' really takes the issue out of context and skews the perspective. I am sensibly debating the matter on WHAT I THINK IS FAIR. If you don't like others' opinions that differ I suggest you stop running a forum as it is a public place of debate.

If you are fed-up of me posting in here why don't you move this thread of little relevance to some bac corner of the forum, after all Rafa is no longer our manager and so long as the posts 'big-up' the man in the thread you seem happy to let it take centre stage.

Thirdly Roy is OUR CURRENT manager, why should I not give credit to the manager of LFC where it is honestly due? Your post smells of agenda mate, slate Roy, hail Rafa a hero. I will support any LFC manager where I SEE FIT, and likewise will critise him if I think it merits that.

Fourthly, if you think I'm being a WUM it says more about your closed mind than it does my posts, I'm not a wind up merchant, I just don't subscribe to ALL the theories backing Rafa, and all the theories discrediting Roy, Woy or would you prefer OWL face.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #197: Nov 09, 2010 11:14:21 pm
      I agree that if he had money he may have done more, I'm not dismissing the fact outright that his job was made much much harder than it needed to be.

Also, lets not forget Man U sold their best player for 80Million pound didn't get to spend all that back in transfers and still managed to maintain a good team, and performances to boot.

A manager can make all the difference.

Just to highlight my beratment of Rafa.

There is I think more perspective in my posts than you care to select.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #198: Nov 09, 2010 11:16:56 pm
      Firstly JD, where I chose to post is my prerogative.

Wrong answer.  Try RAWK for your next post.

Can't say I didn't offer the olive branch but this line proved you are a WUM.

I have never called Roy Hodgson that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #199: Nov 09, 2010 11:23:33 pm

Aww ya bugger JD, I was just about to show him where I got the transfer figures from too. ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #200: Nov 09, 2010 11:26:40 pm
      Aww ya bugger JD, I was just about to show him where I got the transfer figures from too. ;D

You get them from Jaimie Kanwar?   >:D :f_whistle:
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #201: Nov 09, 2010 11:27:30 pm

Can't say I didn't offer the olive branch but this line proved you are a WUM.

I have never called Roy Hodgson that.

Thanks JD.

Was really beggining to get on everyones nerves.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #202: Nov 09, 2010 11:27:32 pm
      I think Reinas words say a lot about Rafa. Many of us see Reina as one of the most level headed and best at the club - and his reasons for being here and signing a big contract were down to Rafa.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #203: Nov 09, 2010 11:34:02 pm
      You get them from Jaimie Kanwar?   >:D :f_whistle:

Feck that, that c**t copied off me :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #204: Nov 09, 2010 11:39:14 pm
      Feck that, that c**t copied off me :D

fact! Love it blood.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #205: Nov 09, 2010 11:41:25 pm
      Thanks JD.

Was really beggining to get on everyones nerves.

I quite liked him, I wanted to adopt him and change his name to Rafael through deedpoll. ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #206: Nov 09, 2010 11:43:01 pm
      Where do I go now to read argumentative threads. What with Rocky being banned and Lucas playing well. ;)

Quick Reply