Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Adam Johnson (Manchester City)

Read 67085 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Adam Johnson (Manchester City)
      Reply #69: Apr 02, 2011 05:40:33 pm
      He would but we need centre midfielders that can get the ball to our wide mans quick enough
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #70: Apr 03, 2011 04:11:03 pm
      9 mins in and he is on the score sheet.Would love this lad here.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #71: Apr 03, 2011 04:23:01 pm
      Would love him here but theres more chance of us signing me than him unfortunatly.

City won't let him go and certainly not to us.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #72: Apr 03, 2011 04:46:42 pm
      No cant see it happening but stranger things have happened in football.Fingers crossed.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #73: Apr 03, 2011 10:04:32 pm
      Why would he leave City? He's getting a game fairly regularly, they'll pay him whatever he wants, he'll get champion's league football there, and (not that he wouldn't get it at Liverpool) he gets to train with some great players who can teach him a lot. I think Johnson is probably the best signing City have made. Would love him to come to Liverpool but im pretty sure it aint gonna happen!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #74: Apr 03, 2011 10:53:11 pm
      City would be mad to sell him to us, we needed to sell Torres, they don't operate in the same financial reality.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #75: Apr 03, 2011 10:57:03 pm
      There were no finacial reasons for us selling him.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #76: Apr 03, 2011 10:58:30 pm
      Exactly...city can afford to keep him and leave him rot in the reserves....when financial concerns are no object its a better option than selling a talented player to a team that could potentially cost them a champions league place!!
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #77: Apr 03, 2011 11:01:08 pm
      There were no finacial reasons for us selling him.

Torres was able to push through his move because LFC aren't owned by a sheik and we value 50 million more than a sulky player.  City have more money than sense, and do not need to sell.  If they sell him, which I doubt they will, it will be to a team outside of England, or to a team traditionally in the bottom half of the table.  I'd say the most likely scenario is that they will loan him out to a team where he will continue to grow and develop as a player, but will remain on City's books so that they can bring him back if/when they deem appropriate.  Mark my words, they will not sell a talented young England international to a rival club (LFC, Chelsea, Man U, Tottenham, Arsenal).

Completely different. We needed the money to buy replacements. City didn't need the
      money. Also City could of put Johnson in the reserves and but we couldn't with Torres.

Star players can force moves away from clubs easier then squad players.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2011 11:29:49 pm by lfc_ynwa »
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #78: Apr 03, 2011 11:10:29 pm
      was brilliant today i thought...i rate the lad very highly...sign him up
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #79: Apr 03, 2011 11:11:27 pm
      We didn't need the money if he didn't go though, he was sold because he wanted to go and no player stays at Liverpool if they don't want to be here. End off.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #80: Apr 03, 2011 11:28:08 pm
      But in the end we did accept a 50 million offer from one of our rivals for him. If we didn't need or want the money then we could've just flogged him to another club, or loaned him out even like City did with Adebayor. They don't care about player devaluation. That's the difference between us and City, and the reason we're not getting Johnson.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #81: Apr 03, 2011 11:50:52 pm
      But in the end we did accept a 50 million offer from one of our rivals for him. If we didn't need or want the money then we could've just flogged him to another club, or loaned him out even like City did with Adebayor. They don't care about player devaluation. That's the difference between us and City, and the reason we're not getting Johnson.

It was a difficult situation. I believe that there was more than one offer for Torres but I am guessing Chelsea's was significantly higher than any others and the fact that the only way to spend the true value we got for him was to do it that day because the FFP rules start taking effect in the next window. That is just my guess, none of us really know how it went down.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #82: Apr 03, 2011 11:54:13 pm
      It was a difficult situation. I believe that there was more than one offer for Torres but I am guessing Chelsea's was significantly higher than any others and the fact that the only way to spend the true value we got for him was to do it that day because the FFP rules start taking effect in the next window. That is just my guess, none of us really know how it went down.
      So, do you think Man City would have done the same or would they have sold him to a non rival club for less money? That's all I'm saying. With the new rules coming up they'll have to start caring about money at some point, but they haven't started yet.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #83: Apr 04, 2011 12:16:26 am
      So, do you think Man City would have done the same or would they have sold him to a non rival club for less money? That's all I'm saying. With the new rules coming up they'll have to start caring about money at some point, but they haven't started yet.

No your right on that, I was just throwing my two cents in there as to why we sold him immediately like we did.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #84: Apr 04, 2011 09:09:16 am

Exactly. 

City simply don't need to sell Johnson, certainly not to their rivals for the title/top four slot next year.  If they want to get rid, they'll only let him go to a foreign club or someone who does not threaten their position (Villa, Bolton, Sunderland etc).  They can afford to take a massive loss on him.

I'd be made up if they let him come to Anfield, but I just don't see it happening.

I wonder if we could be sneaky and get someone else to buy him and them buy him off of them :D :lmao:
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #85: Apr 04, 2011 10:23:13 am
      I wonder if we could be sneaky and get someone else to buy him and them buy him off of them :D :lmao:
      Great tactic this!  ;D
      Have it ever been done before?  :roll:
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #86: Apr 04, 2011 03:29:33 pm
      Would cost anything between 15-25m, it's wether citeh would sell to us
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #87: Apr 04, 2011 04:02:42 pm
      Exactly.  

City simply don't need to sell Johnson, certainly not to their rivals for the title/top four slot next year.  If they want to get rid, they'll only let him go to a foreign club or someone who does not threaten their position (Villa, Bolton, Sunderland etc).  They can afford to take a massive loss on him.

I'd be made up if they let him come to Anfield, but I just don't see it happening.

Yup, just look at Craig Bellamy, Robinho and Adebayour. All loaned/sold out of the premierleague.

Don't think we can buy/loan a player that has already moved in the same window in this country. You can in Italy.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #88: Apr 04, 2011 06:56:31 pm
      Great tactic this!  ;D
      Have it ever been done before?  :roll:

Yup, just look at Craig Bellamy, Robinho and Adebayour. All loaned/sold out of the premierleague.

Don't think we can buy/loan a player that has already moved in the same window in this country. You can in Italy.

I think the rule is that no player can play for more than 2 teams in a calendar year, so I believe it can be done.  A player can be purchased, then immediately loaned out before playing any games.  We could technically strike up a deal with an Italian team to purchase him outright, then loan him to us with an option to buy for a set amount at the end of the season.  This is pretty much what happened with Kevin Prince Boateng if I understand correctly...
      Fowler_is_God
      • Banned

• 27 posts |
      Reply #89: Apr 06, 2011 11:02:09 am
      I don't watch much foreign football so some of the players mentioned in the gossip colums ive never heard of!

Johnson would be a great signing in my opinion though. Not only has he got great quality, he seems to have an epic work rate whenever I've seen him play. He runs his socks off for 90mins. Hes quick too and thats something that needs injecting into the team ASAP - pace.

Having johnson on one wing, ashley young on the other maybe, and bloody hell we will have exciting times ahead.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #90: Apr 06, 2011 11:08:33 am
      Reading through this just gets me madder & madder.  He was available, 2 winter windows ago, for £6.5m, but we were told by a certain snake in cuban heels, that no value existed in the January market. It wasn't like he was unknown, certainly by some on here, he was a signing we were thinking of before he really made it as a regular at Middlesborough,  this one just stinks of missed opportunities.
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011 11:36:02 am by Roddenberry »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #91: Apr 06, 2011 11:29:44 am
      I was crying out loud for us to sign him as soon as Boro got relegated!

Quick Reply