Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (1.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (4.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (8.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (35.8%)
      Raul Meireles
      (44%)
      David N'Gog
      (0.6%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (4.4%)

Spurs v Liverpool: In-game and post match debate

Read 51822 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Spurs v Liverpool: In-game and post match debate
      Reply #851: Nov 28, 2010 11:41:49 pm
      Lack of sleep? Cause you'll be up all week drinking with depression, while watching the 2005 champions league final. . . Or that might be me
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #852: Nov 28, 2010 11:54:18 pm
      Our best display away from home by a mile, it's no comfort that we should have won the game. Thought the ref was appalling for giving them a pen when they fouled on their way to getting it given, Kuyt should have had a pen and the ref booked one of our players on the half way line for the same thing, he was a Homer plain and simple and the next time this man comes to Anfield he should be got at with loud cheers every time he gives us anything. Martin Atkinson is a Spurs supporter because why book so many reds yet when Spurs did similar things he either waved play on or just gave a foul. In the end we should have put our chances away then there wouldn't have been any need to get a helping hand from the ref for Spurs. This is a knee jerk reaction to the game and if your on the losing end it hurts like hell.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #853: Nov 29, 2010 02:20:47 am
      our defence was good  sometimes two goal line  clearances but spurs speed beat us for both goals. torres should have got a penalty,and maxi how could he miss. torres lacks sharpness. spurs missed some sitters as well. at least the game was entertaining so fans got there moneys worth   
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #854: Nov 29, 2010 02:38:27 am
      To be fair, Spurs did have a couple of big deep sniffs of the goal.  Defoe should have buried his shot into the open net rather than trying to place it past the diving Carragher.

But agree, I think Rodriguez' was the worst of the two.  He had actually done a stupid extra touch for that earlier one where he got ruled offside even before the one just before half time.

Bassong did well both times with Torres to his credit.  Against Hilarious Gomes, Torres should have known he didn't need an extra touch and just blasted it.

Ah well sh*t happens.  Looking at the league table we'll probably be 15th before we face Villa next Monday. Fun and games eh.

Fair enough. Unfortunately it was obvious by about the 5th minute that Lennon was destroying Konchesky.  The fact he didn't do anything about it and it resulted in us getting nothing does I think give him some responsibility.

Plus, yet again, he also failed to make any tactical substitions. Both injury enforced, and Aurelio on for Ngog only served to invite Spurs on to us. 

That was my disappointment with him.

Plus his post match press conference immediately after with Sky.

He has done nothing but fail in my eyes in his tenure as coach so far.

But out of sheer frustration I thought we created more then enough to bury that game nice and early. Not the first time Rodriguez has fluffed a great opportunity he did exactly the same in the Chelsea game when he should have made it 3-0.

Sitting in tenth very close to the half way mark of the season,needless to say that Hodgson's honeymoon period is well and truly over.

Gloomy days ahead.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #855: Nov 29, 2010 04:19:10 am
      It was a good game of football, lot of disappointment with the result though.
      We didn't play badly at all, just those F***ing 2-3 misses.

Could have put my money on both Torres and Maxi scoring, but both took an extra touch and squandered it. :-\

Some positives from the performance, but a loss after dishing out a good performance hurts. :(

Plus, yet again, he also failed to make any tactical substitions. Both injury enforced, and Aurelio on for Ngog only served to invite Spurs on to us. 

That was my disappointment with him.
      Precisely. Can't blame Roy for this result, but even I was bewildered that he was making no substitutions. Having Babel and Jovanovic on the bench, thought he would atleast give them a try.
      RedHon
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #856: Nov 29, 2010 04:35:49 am
      The overall performance was one of the better ones so far. I thought we should have killed the game with another 2 goals. Maxi's had opportunities but the finishing was poor and Konchesky is really useless in his defending. Torres had chances in yesterday's game but somehow he wasn't up to it. He normally would have converted those chances. It was a waste to not get the 3 points as Spurs wasn't as threatening as I thought.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #857: Nov 29, 2010 05:54:32 am
      Actually, at half time Spurs had 6 shots on goal, to our 3. Spurs also dominated possession. So i don't agree at all with people saying we should of led at half time, despite Torres' and Maxi's chances, because Defoe should of had two, Modric one and Crouch one.

In the second, it was abysmal. How we can stand off them and give them possession when the first half showed what we can achieve if we had the ball and got it forward. Their fullbacks are arguable as sh*te as ours. Assou-Ekotto and Hutton cannot defend but can attack and we didn't pressure them, especially with Dirk losing it every time we had it.

The only positive i can find from this game is Lucas and Meireles together in midfield. They were outstanding.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010 06:48:09 am by crouchinho »
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #858: Nov 29, 2010 06:40:59 am
      Wow!!One whole page with NO Roy Bashing. :gt-happyup: :gt-happyup:
      Roy sucks :)
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #859: Nov 29, 2010 07:25:16 am
      We can't lay the blame on Roy for this one.I think he selected the best available XI and then set them out to play an attacking brand of football which was so refreshing to see.Players have to take the responsibility here,Maxi and Torres should have put the game in the bag even before Spurs got a goal.I also don't think that Spurs also had opportunities like us and they could have scored them.We denied them because of good defending while our misses were bad finishing as they were all 1 on 1 chances and you can expect Defoe,Modric and Crouch to miss those but how can you expect Torres to miss those sitters.
                               The answer is simple,we need better players in the squad.Maxi for as good as he is should not be starting for us and we need a better partner for Torres because Ngog might do a decent job but he never looks like scoring which is the prime objective of a striker.

jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #860: Nov 29, 2010 07:32:30 am
      Actually, at half time Spurs had 6 shots on goal, to our 3. Spurs also dominated possession. So i don't agree at all with people saying we should of led at half time, despite Torres' and Maxi's chances, because Defoe should of had two, Modric one and Crouch one.

In the second, it was abysmal. How we can stand off them and give them possession when the first half showed what we can achieve if we had the ball and got it forward. Their fullbacks are arguable as sh*te as ours. Assou-Ekotto and Hutton cannot defend but can attack and we didn't pressure them, especially with Dirk losing it every time we had it.

The only positive i can find from this game is Lucas and Meireles together in midfield. They were outstanding.

Second half was abysmal, agreed. But the first half wasn't as bad.

It was a home game for spurs, they were flying high, we were on the back of a bad run.

It was just like one of those away European nights where you try to hold on and take your chances as and when they come, and try to come away with something from the game.

We held them well, created some chances of our own. Who should have led and who not is a baseless argument in the end, but the first half performance was pretty decent... and well, fantastic considering some of our earlier performances this season.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #861: Nov 29, 2010 09:43:39 am
      Skrtel was great today, his goal was a bonus.  The oggie was not his fault - Modric danced through Lucas, Carra and Johnson and if he didn't get a touch, it was probably going to Crouch for a tap-in anyway.  Thought he was really good and solid. 

Can't believe 4 people voted for Maxi...? Mancs? Bitters? WUMs?
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #862: Nov 29, 2010 09:54:21 am
      Agree that this one wasnt Roys fault.

Torres had a 10 yard start on Bassong twice and still couldnt get a shot at goal. Thats piss poor and the poorest of strikers in this league would have at least got a shot away. Not F***ing good enough.
      Thought Maxi had a good game and is getting better and better but F**k me lad just stick it away instead of trying to be a berti big bollocks!!

Had we taken at least one of those i have no doubt we would have saw the match out.

Under Rafa we would def have saw the game out HOWEVER i dont think we would have scored in the first place.

Roy is not the right man but he is not to blamefor every F**k up the players make. Just because he signed Konchesky doesnt make it Roys fault. Rafa signed Torres and Maxi so is this defeat also his fault? Dont think so.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #863: Nov 29, 2010 10:27:57 am
      Agree that this one wasnt Roys fault.

It wasn't all Roy's fault.

Posted most of this in the "Roy" thread, but will put it here as well -

We played well for about twenty minutes of the first half, creating chances and could have scored a couple.

Also, the referee was a total nonce, a disgracefully one-sided 'homer' display, we should have had a pen, they shouldn't, we had players booked for nothing and every decision went their way.  

However, we were dire for pretty much the rest of the game.  Spurs should have scored at least one, maybe two in the first half and we hardly turned up in the second half.  

Roy was partly to blame, you can't get away from that.  His substitutions were a joke, not subbing anyone until there were injuries? We did not have a vast array of talent on the bench, but he could have replaced Maxi who was ineffectual when he wasn't missing easy chances with Babel who would have offered pace and fresh-legs to make Tottenham re-think things at the back and in midfield - but no, he did nothing, he let Spurs dominate the game and made no attempt to change things.  Another terrible tactical performance from Roy.  Ngog was injured - but choosing to bring on Aurelio to replace him? Poor.
      We had Babel and Jovanovic as possible replacements, who would offer more than Kuyt upfront and Maxi on the right who both had poor games.  Aurelio should have been on for Konchesky at half-time, and it was the baldy bug-eyed f**ker who was to blame for their winning goal.  Just poor - again.  I criticised Rafa for delaying necessary substitutions at times and trying to win with Plan A, rather than changing things early enough to have an effect but ffs... Hodgson was content to just stick to Plan A to the death in the hope of getting a draw.  And 2-1 down with 4 mins to go, what does he do?  Sits slumped in his f**king chair like a grumpy resident pissing himself in an old folks home.  A proper manager would be up, barking instructions to the players, urging them to get a goal.  When we had 30 second to go and a free-kick, an opportunity to get the ball in the box before the final whistle, Reina ran to the half-way line to join the attack, but the muppets told him to go back to his goal... WHY?  His presence in their box would have been an added threat and they would have no chance to attack anyway - even if they did, they'd won the game if we didn't score anyway.  The increased possibility of 2-2 with a risk of losing 3-1 is infinitely better than just sticking with 2-1!!!

So, yes, the ref didn't help and we missed easy chances, but whilst it was not all Roy's fault, he has to share a large portion of the blame.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #864: Nov 29, 2010 11:19:09 am
      What did Roy say after the match....few people on this page moaning about it again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #865: Nov 29, 2010 11:32:30 am
      It never is a managers fault if players miss chances or make mistakes but it is his fault if as is so apparent the players dont believe in his tactics of sitting so deep.It is his fault that his tactics have us on -2 goal difference.It is his fault that he cannot get a side out that is full of internationals to play in an attacking style home or away.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #866: Nov 29, 2010 11:57:42 am
      It never is a managers fault if players miss chances or make mistakes but it is his fault if as is so apparent the players dont believe in his tactics of sitting so deep.It is his fault that his tactics have us on -2 goal difference.It is his fault that he cannot get a side out that is full of internationals to play in an attacking style home or away.

its his fault for signing cuntkhesky, a full back with no pace.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #867: Nov 29, 2010 12:00:19 pm
      People expectations have dropped defo, I'm disgusted with yesterday ya we played decent football at times but F**k sake Spurs have lost nearly every time after a European night we had a free F***ing week.

Spurs missed a penalty had 2 cleared off the line and Lennon should have scored at the end they also had more possession.

We sat back in the second half due to poor tactics especially when Spurs would be tiring. It was a great opportunity to beat Spurs but because we have a negative poor manager it was never going to happen.
      Hollidey
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #868: Nov 29, 2010 12:29:39 pm
      Actually, at half time Spurs had 6 shots on goal, to our 3. Spurs also dominated possession. So I don't agree at all with people saying we should of led at half time, despite Torres' and Maxi's chances, because Defoe should of had two, Modric one and Crouch one.

The only positive I can find from this game is Lucas and Meireles together in midfield. They were outstanding.

Exactly.  :-[

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #869: Nov 29, 2010 01:19:23 pm
      I have nothing to say really about Roy, the guy went attacking from the beginning and played a good formation. We went ahead and were fortunate to see VDV injured so early. But I have sth to say about our defenders, Nino & Maxi, ''when you're one on one with the goalkeeper, you f**king shoot!''. Now maybe some will blame Roy for not telling them that, and they will add this to his file of stupidity. Anyway, I would like to pay tribute to Raul & Lucas, they deserve to be here

No, he won't shoot bacuse he doesn't know when and how to. He still refused to shoot in the last few games as I have been observing. He wanted to dribble the ball into goal ala Pele. He should be punished by having 6 solid hours of training on shooting everyday till the next match.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #870: Nov 29, 2010 01:29:47 pm
      I notice Roy didn't appear to mention the 'whole week' he had with the players to work on tactics he emphasised before the Spurs match.  He mentioned it would benefit the team and he had a plan to get at Spurs.

I'm still confused why he wasn't off the bench urging the team to press, to close down and attack during the second half if they had discarded his instructions.  The conclusion: keep it tight and don't let no more than one in!
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #871: Nov 29, 2010 02:06:00 pm

No, he won't shoot bacuse he doesn't know when and how to. He still refused to shoot in the last few games as I have been observing. He wanted to dribble the ball into goal ala Pele. He should be punished by having 6 solid hours of training on shooting everyday till the next match.

Shocked at Torres, Maxi and Miereles - You have space, SHOOT! Babel would have taken shots given half the chances these lad bungled. We can't even begin to compare our strikers to the Tottenham strikers. At least those ones found themselves in space and took the shots.

We were supposed to coverthe gap. We just bungled it. no use blaming Roy for this loss. He may be old and slow, but he put his best foot forward against Tottenham.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #872: Nov 29, 2010 02:06:24 pm
      Positive display yesterday. Probably the best shift away the players put in under Hodgson, but there still is a lot of room for improvement.

I am disappointed at the result because I thought we were good value for at least a draw, and could have even nicked a win had the ref did his job squarely. Torres and Maxi need to take responsibility, they had 3 fantastic one on one chances and could have put the game to bed at 3-0 before 50 mins.

I thought it was a very even game, both sides looking to attack, we had a good shape and balance and Hodgson's game plan was spot on. We were quite strong defensively, Bale was kept in check but the major liability all day was Lennon skinning Konchesky for pace down the Spurs' right flank.

It was a game of chances. Despite Defoe's penalty miss, Spurs took theirs and we ultimately paid the price for failure to convert. Complete schoolboy error from Konchesky in the 92nd minute, switched off and fell asleep and we paid for his incompetence.

Lucas is my man of the match. Neat, tidy passing. Clean tackling and barely lost the ball. Kept the play simple and smooth.

Again very disappointing not to come out of the game with anything. But it was a vastly superior away performance and we showed resiliance and determination. That was positive for me.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #873: Nov 29, 2010 02:55:16 pm
      I dislike Hogdson like everyone else and want him replaced, but reading some posts I feel like there is a lot of history rewriting, to make the defeat Roy's fault with an "abysmal" second half where the team decided to play negative football and "sat deep" all the time, etc.... It seems we have not seen the same match, or some people confused it with the Chelsea game or the Wigan game or I don't know which previous game where these statements were true.

For me the fact is in the two halves we played (or at least tried to play) total football with everyone pressing, everyone defending when needed and everyone but the centre half attacking when possible, but after 5-10mn in second half, the spurs started to play faster, and our team just couldn't follow because our players were physically inferior at this point (attackers showed no legs the whole match, defenders and midfielders started to decline in second half). The intention to (counter) attack was still here and there were a lot of tries to, but far too much balls started to be lost in the middle of the pitch* or even our half, making our players yo-yo between their surface and the middle of the field instead of their surface and the opponents one. Unlike in the Chelsea/Wigan/etc.... matchs, I don't think there was an intention of negative play, "sitting deep and hoofing the ball" etc..., players ended in defense most of the time because not having the ball they were just forced to by an opposition surclassing them, very effective to gain the ball in midfield and transform possession in occasions.

And if Roy has made an error at this point, it's not to have chosen Aurelio over Jovanovic or Babel for the last substition, but to have chosen to stick to his 4-4-2 and total football plan instead of adding a defensive midfielder to gain more balls or try to guarantee at least a draw when spurs started to dominate play (yes I think Poulsen for N'Gog, to end in a more rigid 4-2-3-1 would have been a better option for the end of the match than any attacking/semi-attacking player, as our main second half problem was gaining/keeping the ball in midfield). IMO he was afraid of supporters reaction if he tried to secure a draw with teh unpopular dane, and made the worse choice of not changing a tactic no longer working when our central midfielders were tired.

* another thing I find strange is to see Mereiles MotM for this one, while he showed some good things in attack he also missed an awful lot of simple passes in the middle of the field giving far too much balls to the opposition ; it may be just that spurs middles were good at reading his play, but as I remember a lot of actions ended with an intercepted Raul pass while Lucas and our wide men seemed to have less problems

Quick Reply