Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (1.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (4.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (8.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (35.8%)
      Raul Meireles
      (44%)
      David N'Gog
      (0.6%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (4.4%)

Spurs v Liverpool: In-game and post match debate

Read 51935 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Spurs v Liverpool: In-game and post match debate
      Reply #828: Nov 28, 2010 08:27:25 pm
      Hodgson tactics in the second half cost instead of pressing Spurs like we did in the first half we sat off them. We got what we deserved in the end. People seem to be forgetting Spurs had 2 shots cleared off the line missed a penalty and Lennon should have scored a third at the end.

Have to say dunno how Ngog name is up on the man of the match either, the way he gave away the penalty was embarrasing for a professional footballer he was afraid of ball hitting him on the face, the lad looks like he could play all night and he wouldn't score, dunno where his next Premiership goal is coming from.

Raul was man of the match for me. Dunno what to say about Konchesky but as I've being saying for months a good left back should be a high priority for us.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #829: Nov 28, 2010 08:30:13 pm
      Wow!!One whole page with NO Roy Bashing. :gt-happyup: :gt-happyup:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #830: Nov 28, 2010 08:31:50 pm
      How can we forget about the man that has given us our worst start in 50 years, a horribly mediocre manager that should never being given the chance to have managing Liverpool on his CV
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #831: Nov 28, 2010 08:33:41 pm
      How can we forget about the man that has given us our worst start in 50 years, a horribly mediocre manager that should never being given the chance to have managing Liverpool on his CV

I don't think anyone has forgotten that overall he hasn't been Liverpool material but I also don't think anyone can blame the manager for this one.

I was pleased with the performance and for that reason I am disappointed but can take a loss on the chin. Don't think we have been able to say that for a while!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #832: Nov 28, 2010 08:39:41 pm
      Starting to get pi**ed of with some of the anti  Hodgson rhetoric on here . I couldn't fault his formation and the winning goal was a kick in the ball's. But TBH Hodgson get's murdered for whatever he does, whereas Rafa got away with F**ing murder last season on this site at least. We deserved a point at least and bad finishing from Maxi & Torres and a blatant pen decision against Kuyt stopped us getting all three.

I agree. Apart from the Aurelio decision I think Roy got it right today, so fair play to him. What we should be looking at to describe our downfall is the key moments in the game. I.e, Torres and Maxi's missed chances (ffs lads at least make that big knob Gomes save it!) and the poor defending for both spurs' goals. Big Skrtel was unlucky for the first goal that went in off of him, but what annoyed me was the way Modric skipped past Carra and Johnson so easily, Carra's one fault in the game.

Then the second goal was bread and butter defending. All Konchesly had to do was stand up, put a shoulder into Lennon and stop him getting through, it wouldn't have been a foul if he got it right and the game would have finished 1-1.

There are positives to take from the game though, but they've already been pointed out so no point wasting time.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7142 
      Reply #833: Nov 28, 2010 08:42:57 pm
      I think Paul Dalglish is right we now take getting beat away 2-1 as a positive we certainly have let our standards fall. Every defeat is bad and you cant take anything from that other than negatives.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #834: Nov 28, 2010 08:44:42 pm
      I agree. Apart from the Aurelio decision I think Roy got it right today, so fair play to him. What we should be looking at to describe our downfall is the key moments in the game. I.e, Torres and Maxi's missed chances (ffs lads at least make that big knob Gomes save it!) and the poor defending for both spurs' goals. Big Skrtel was unlucky for the first goal that went in off of him, but what annoyed me was the way Modric skipped past Carra and Johnson so easily, Carra's one fault in the game.

Then the second goal was bread and butter defending. All Konchesly had to do was stand up, put a shoulder into Lennon and stop him getting through, it wouldn't have been a foul if he got it right and the game would have finished 1-1.

There are positives to take from the game though, but they've already been pointed out so no point wasting time.

The way I saw it Konchesky was just too slow to react. Not good when as a full back you are usually playing against players who have pace, trickery and quick reactions.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #835: Nov 28, 2010 08:46:30 pm
      Hell of a game, if i was a neutral i would have loved watching it.Very frustrated but at least we had  a really good go.When VDV went off i thought we would win but you have to give Spurs credit they kept going and finally got the result.On our front what can i say,You Have To Take Your Chances.We had enough of them.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #836: Nov 28, 2010 08:50:01 pm
      I blame Hodgson for this if you check my post at half time I said please Roy don't sit off Spurs in the second half just do the same as we were doing in the first half.

But no we start to sit deeper and deeper not pressing Spurs players like Palacious whose confidence was clearly shot and let them play.

I blame our tactics and if people are not knowledgeable enough to see the change it tactics that is there own problem but.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #837: Nov 28, 2010 08:50:03 pm
      Just upset that our tempo changed in the second half and we sat off them too much. They had time to make runs at us, with players off the ball, making supporting  runs all over the place. In the first half we were in their faces more, forcing them sideways and backwards more often and not letting them get to much momentum up. Don't know if it was the players or a woy tactic that changed it but it didn't work. Although we missed a few chances, we were always likely to create a few more if we continued the second half the same. I think that's where we lost it. And poor defending at the end. It's good that Spurs didn't look better than us for long periods, and at times we looked better than them. Reddnap was certainly worried going off at half time, then  we seemed to make the tactical changes to suit them. Mind blowing really. We deserved more from the game without a doubt, and they will certainly feel like they got out of jail today. Roy still has to go, we seem to take one step forward and two backwards under his stewardship.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #838: Nov 28, 2010 09:37:11 pm
      I have nothing to say really about Roy, the guy went attacking from the beginning and played a good formation. We went ahead and were fortunate to see VDV injured so early. But I have sth to say about our defenders, Nino & Maxi, ''when you're one on one with the goalkeeper, you F***ing shoot!''. Now maybe some will blame Roy for not telling them that, and they will add this to his file of stupidity. Anyway, I would like to pay tribute to Raul & Lucas, they deserve to be here
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #839: Nov 28, 2010 09:41:52 pm
      I have nothing to say really about Roy, the guy went attacking from the beginning and played a good formation. We went ahead and were fortunate to see VDV injured so early. But I have sth to say about our defenders, Nino & Maxi, ''when you're one on one with the goalkeeper, you f**king shoot!''. Now maybe some will blame Roy for not telling them that, and they will add this to his file of stupidity. Anyway, I would like to pay tribute to Raul & Lucas, they deserve to be here

Well said mate
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #840: Nov 28, 2010 10:00:43 pm
      Was working so missed the game but it sounds like we maybe should have won the game and it may not be our worst defeat of the season but still a defeat none the less.

Looks like Roy picked a good starting 11 but maybe we sat back too deep again after getting the first goal and it sounds like his substitutions were not the best but I'll have to watch the highlights to get my own impression of how we played.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #841: Nov 28, 2010 10:14:34 pm
      Couldn't be arsed posting before I was that pissed off.

Maxi and Nando want bollocking big time for those misses, we should of been three up before Spurs got a sniff of a goal.

But when your manager comes out and openly says we'll be lucky to win, it's always in the back of the mind that whaty happened today will continue to happen again and again until something is done about the problem. That problem being Roy.

If he's allowed to continue in this job, he will turn us into a mid-table team.

And Martin Atkinson can F**k off as well the spineless c**t, I seriously think he has a problem with LFC, I've seen that c**t ref us a few times and he hardly EVER gives us anything.

And yet before they scored their first I actually thought we were playing some good stuff, a sickener today and it isn't helped when Woy's after-match quotes still leave a lot to be desired.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #842: Nov 28, 2010 10:32:24 pm
      Think overall we played very well, and despite the loss more to be positive about here than in some of our victories, we took the game to spurs, but they clinched it.

You can talk tactics, try and appear to be more knowledgable than the next, but we had chances to win, they had chances to win.

They took 2 of them, we took 1.

Thats where the game was won and lost, poor finishing from firstly Maxi, and later Torres.

When you have the speed of Spurs then late on in games they can hurt you.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #843: Nov 28, 2010 11:05:41 pm
      I blame Hodgson for this if you check my post at half time I said please Roy don't sit off Spurs in the second half just do the same as we were doing in the first half.

But no we start to sit deeper and deeper not pressing Spurs players like Palacious whose confidence was clearly shot and let them play.

I blame our tactics and if people are not knowledgeable enough to see the change it tactics that is there own problem but.

I'd agree with you on that.  If Roy hadn't told them to sit off and not press, why was he not on the touchline yelling at the team to close down and push up?

I reckon he weighed it up and thought we'd let one in at worst and a draw would be acceptable. 
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #844: Nov 28, 2010 11:05:50 pm
      i'm still upset  >:( ,we can't just keep losing away games and win at anfield..
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #845: Nov 28, 2010 11:08:27 pm
      Roy Hodgson is seriously turning us into a mid-table team. Everything he says and the players he signed tell it all!
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #846: Nov 28, 2010 11:11:12 pm
      As a minimum we deserved a share of the points but the fact remains we sqandered more chances then they did.  Torres still is firing on all 4 cylinders if you ask me... :-\
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #847: Nov 28, 2010 11:13:42 pm
      Won't blame Roy for this defeat at all.

We played very well especially in the first half. Torres and Rodriguez need to take the responsibility here, Torres missed 2 1 on 1 opportunities and Rodriguez's attempt to go around a stationary keeper was comical.

Atkinson can F**k off two that challange by Assou Ekotto on Kuyt in the 70th odd minute was a crystal clear penalty.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,673 posts | 6967 
      Reply #848: Nov 28, 2010 11:18:43 pm
      Maxi and Nando want bollocking big time for those misses, we should of been three up before Spurs got a sniff of a goal.

To be fair, Spurs did have a couple of big deep sniffs of the goal.  Defoe should have buried his shot into the open net rather than trying to place it past the diving Carragher.

But agree, I think Rodriguez' was the worst of the two.  He had actually done a stupid extra touch for that earlier one where he got ruled offside even before the one just before half time.

Bassong did well both times with Torres to his credit.  Against Hilarious Gomes, Torres should have known he didn't need an extra touch and just blasted it.

Ah well sh*t happens.  Looking at the league table we'll probably be 15th before we face Villa next Monday. Fun and games eh.

Won't blame Roy for this defeat at all.

Fair enough. Unfortunately it was obvious by about the 5th minute that Lennon was destroying Konchesky.  The fact he didn't do anything about it and it resulted in us getting nothing does I think give him some responsibility.

Plus, yet again, he also failed to make any tactical substitions. Both injury enforced, and Aurelio on for Ngog only served to invite Spurs on to us. 

That was my disappointment with him.

Plus his post match press conference immediately after with Sky.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #849: Nov 28, 2010 11:35:22 pm
      Ah well sh*t happens.  Looking at the league table we'll probably be 15th before we face Villa next Monday. Fun and games eh.

Yep, but we have got a "famous night in Bucharest" coming up!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,673 posts | 6967 
      Reply #850: Nov 28, 2010 11:38:19 pm
      Yep, but we have got a "famous night in Bucharest" coming up!!

It's going to be immense.  Might not be able to sleep this week thinking about it.

Quick Reply