Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Steaua Bucharest 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Constipation

Read 44940 times
      yehyehyehred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Re: Steaua Bucharest 1-1 Liverpool - Post match constipation
      Reply #575: Dec 03, 2010 11:47:03 am
      I like the way Roy gives steau credit for causing us troubles down their left wing. Yeh,is that because you played a F***ing left footed hole player on our right wing? Genius.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #576: Dec 03, 2010 01:14:01 pm
      Was about the result not the performance, We're through that's all that matters. As said Kelly, Babel, Aurelio, and Jova done well to get the goal after good work from Babel. Joe Cole - not impressing anyone again last night, Fair play he's just back from injury but his main chance that he squandered was bad, The good Joe Cole would have banged it in. Hopefully a similar team against Utrecht at Anfield to see out the group stages.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #577: Dec 03, 2010 01:18:40 pm
      Went to the pub to watch the second half.

I'm pleased we qualified from the group.  Be in the hat for when the big boys drop down from the Champions League.

But apart from that the performance was a disappointment for me.  I find our style of football hopeless at times.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #578: Dec 03, 2010 01:22:58 pm
      At best I could say we tried to hold a shape and stay organised, while giving some of the youngsters game time. That said it was hard to watch that last night. Cole was poor, why he complained on being subbed is beyond me. Milan put in a better shift, seemed more comfortable with his position and did not complain. Kelly played well again and Aurelio once again they only quality left back we have
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Steaua Bucharest 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Constipation
      Reply #579: Dec 03, 2010 01:35:57 pm
      I don't even think our style of football is even called football anymore :(

Glad to qualify but what a depressing performance.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #580: Dec 03, 2010 02:53:16 pm
      . ...although it's not really "f**king weak", is it? Given that you. ...

Wait. There's more. ...

Really? No reason, eh? Then why would he need time to (in your own words). ...

Finally. ....

. ...just throwing this out there like BUT could that be (and I know this may sound ludicrous). ... BUT could that be because Dani hasn't got much playing time and when he has . ... he has been played out of F***ing POSITION!?  :-\

I can only assume you didn't actually read Harry's post Joey.   >:D

What makes a good winger?  A good first touch, good skill on the ball, the ability to take a man on, a bit of creativity, and the ability to deliver a quality ball to the front men would be the traits I look for in a winger.  Dani has all of these qualities in spades.  I would say that his skill set should allow him to be effective in a number of roles including on the wing, even if its not his "favored" position.  Right midfield is not Kuyt's favored position, but we expect him to do a job when playing in that role. 

If you actually read my initial post, you would know that I go on to say that I am excited to see Dani play the whole 90 in the next Europa match, because he is still young and can only improve with experience.  I was not condemning him as a flop for one poor performance, but I was realistic about his performance.... he was anonymous for most of the game.  However, there is time for him to learn how to play in this position, and I am going to continue to support him as I have always done.  Its funny.... I don't typically agree with Roy's tactics or team selections, but I do agree with his decision to adapt Dani (who is still young and can therefore be easily molded into a certain type of player) into a winger, because that is where he can have the most immediate impact in our team. 

Everyone on here (including myself) has been shouting for Dani to get some chances.  He got one last night, but he didn't take it.  That is what my initial post said.  I don't care if he was deployed on the wing.  In my opinion, he has the ability to play well out there and should have done better.  As I said in a previous post, I wouldn't expect him to play well as a CM, CB, RB/LB because he does not have the skill set/physique to play in those positions, but he certainly has what it takes to play on the wing.

I can't wait until the next Europa game, because I want the lad to get another chance to prove himself.  I'm just not going to sing his praises after a lackluster performance.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #581: Dec 03, 2010 03:53:03 pm
      I remember a topic I started on Rodolfo and his philosophy for player development. Given his experience and success I will take it as the optimal idea for youth development. . . In the club the system should stay the same for the entire club. From academy to the first team, be it 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. This allows the youth players to learn their place and responsibilities within the chosen system. In approaching youth development this way the youth players can step into the first team, when required, instantly knowing their task. It basis their step up on repetition of task so it makes the step up easier for them. . . Where has Dani predominantly featured for us and Spain? LF or CF. Not RW. Completly different discipline and goes against the philosophy of the man we should be listening to in Rodolfo. Angers me beyond belief
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #582: Dec 03, 2010 04:26:34 pm
      ^ I don't disagree with the idea that the ressies should be playing a similar formation and style to the 1st team in order to make the transition a bit smoother.  However, it doesn't really address my argument, which was and continues to be, that Dani has the ability to be a good winger, and he should have done better last night.  I hope he continues to get more 1st team experience and continues to play in a wide role, because (as mentioned in my previous post) I actually agree with Roy this time.  I think he can turn into one hell of a wing player given time, and that is the area that we are desperately short of options at the moment.  And for the record, I PM'd you because I didn't want to reply and then not have anyone read it... would be rather pointless that :)

Here is the article in which John McMahon outlines Roy's plan to make Dani a wide player because that is the position he can most likely make the step up to the 1st team in immediately:

John McMahon has revealed Roy Hodgson's first-team plan for starlet Dani Pacheco.

The Spanish ace is regarded as one of the most talented youngsters in Europe after rising to prominence in a withdrawn striking role.

However, this season he has been deployed more regularly on the right-side of midfield, a switch that McMahon feels can boost the No.12's claims for more first-team involvement.

Click on the play button to watch McMahon on Pacheco

"The boss (Roy Hodgson) is keen on him," he told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He sees Dani filling those wide roles, so when he plays for the reserves he occupies those positions and learns to adapt and play in them.

"It's good for his development to learn several roles and it will only benefit him, especially if he's required to do a job for the first-team."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/roy-s-pacheco-plan-revealed
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #583: Dec 03, 2010 04:32:36 pm
      You have just ignored my points really to push ahead with the winger theory. Even in the reserves he is more effective when McMahon moves him back inside
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #584: Dec 03, 2010 04:42:53 pm
      I don't disagree that he is more effective for the ressies when played in a more central role, but why play him there for the ressies if that is not what Roy's long term plans for him?  Agree with it or not, Roy is the manager and NESV have seemingly put their faith in him to be the manager in the future.  You don't adapt the 1st team around the ressies formation and position preference.... you adapt the ressies formation and position preference around the 1st team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #585: Dec 03, 2010 04:47:24 pm
      Mc Mahon has indeed used him out wide, but when he's chasing the game in the second half Dani is moved inside where he is at his best. Yes he has been adapting to the wider roles and his quality means he will eventually shine there too. My question is why have the philosophy and then throw it away
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #586: Dec 03, 2010 04:53:03 pm
      I was not condemning him as a flop for one poor performance, but I was realistic about his performance.... he was anonymous for most of the game.

. ...and i was merely pointing out that (realistically) there was a a very genuine reason for his anonymity. That is: (as you pointed out) he's still learning the role and it ain't his best (or favoured) position. I wasn't disputing his non-show.  ;)

However, there is time for him to learn how to play in this position. ...

. ...but I do agree with his decision to adapt Dani (who is still young and can therefore be easily molded into a certain type of player) into a winger, because that is where he can have the most immediate impact in our team.

I've highlighted the two pieces which contradict each other for you harry. Simply put: if something is going to take the passing of time to 'perfect' then, by default, it can not be "immediate".   :angel:

I can't wait until the next Europa game, because I want the lad to get another chance to prove himself. 

Here I, sort of, agree with you. I want to see more, yes but i'd love to see him play position he's accustomed to and in the "first team" at that.

In fact, i'll go further and say that, in my opinion, he'd have more of an "immediate impact" if Hodgson took that chance. However, in the absence of Hodgson taking a chance, i'll settle for anything for Dani.  :nod:

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #587: Dec 03, 2010 04:56:06 pm
      Did not see or hear the game as, as usual I was in work.

But I saw 5 minutes of highlights on Ch5 last night. Looked like a "Good Old Fashioned Game" from the 80's. Crazy fans, half full ground, raining(?).

Nice to qualify with a game in hand, but what concerns me a bit is we have not won away! I know we have not lost, but not winning is a concern as this trend is the same in the league.

Now you can get away with it in Europe and win things as each game is a two legged affair, but in the EPL, well this policy will get you nothing, nothing at all, not even European qualification of any description.

Now, as for Pepe's "error". I have no criticism here as I Predicted a 1:1 draw.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #588: Dec 03, 2010 04:58:56 pm
      ^^  Not a contradiction mate.... He can have an immediate impact because he has the ability to do so.  He is also young, and therefore has time on his side to continue to improve in this role.  
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #589: Dec 03, 2010 05:07:25 pm
      ^^  Not a contradiction mate.... He can have an immediate impact because he has the ability to do so.  He is also young, and therefore has time on his side to continue to improve in this role.  

What you actually wrote, harry, was; "most immediate impact". ..."most".

I happen to think that Dani would have "most immediate impact" if played in a "role" which doesn't require time or training because he already knows it and plays it extremely well. You disagree - fair enough.   :-\
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #590: Dec 03, 2010 05:10:37 pm
      ^  We aren't lacking options in his preferred role though.  However, we are in need of creative wide players.  That is the area that he has the most direct route to the 1st team.  Hence, it is the position that he can have the most immediate impact.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #591: Dec 03, 2010 05:36:18 pm
      ^  We aren't lacking options in his preferred role though.  However, we are in need of creative wide players.  That is the area that he has the most direct route to the 1st team.  Hence, it is the position that he can have the most immediate impact.

For F**k's sake quit arguing just for the sake of it harry. It's tiresome mate.  ;D

Think about it harry, count to ten if need be but please realise; if Hodgson took a chance and played Dani alongside Nando he would (more likely than not) have more of an impact on our team (and results) than playing him, out of position, alongside fringe players in the Europa League.

I see him more capable to displace Ngog in an attacking 4-4-2 (at Anfield, obviously) than Kuyt and Maxi on the right - you disagree harry (I get it) and that's fair enough. ...it's no big deal and I don't feel a driving need to be right.  >:D
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #592: Dec 03, 2010 05:49:05 pm
      I'm not arguing for the sake of it, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree then.  Dani isn't going to displace Nando as the out and out striker. When we play a 4-4-2, Hodgeson seems to prefer more of a hold-up target style striker to play next to Nando, which is why we see Ngog and Kuyt consistently used in that role ahead of Dani.  When we play in a 4-2-3-1 system, Hodgeson has been using Lucas/Poulsen/Meireles in CM, and has been trying to get Gerrard further up the field in the hole (Dani's preferred role).  I don't see him dislodging Gerrard as the 1st choice for that role, and honestly, I think Hodgeson prefers Cole to Dani for that position as well (use last night's game as evidence).  I do however think that he has the skill set required to play as a creative wide man.  Apparently the coaching staff also feels this way....
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #593: Dec 03, 2010 05:50:36 pm
      I do however think that he has the skill set required to play as a creative wide man.

. ...and I agree.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #594: Dec 03, 2010 05:57:34 pm

Why not switch Joe Cole then?

Try Dani there behind Torres.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #595: Dec 03, 2010 06:11:33 pm
      Why not switch Joe Cole then?

Try Dani there behind Torres.

I'm not saying that this wouldn't work, and if I was the manager I'd probably give it a shot while Stevie is out injured.  However, given last nights lineup and McMahon's prior quotes about molding Dani into a wide player, I'd say it appears Hodgeson prefers Cole in the hole and Dani out wide....

Again, I was never slagging off Dani.  This whole argument started because I negated someone's opinion that you can disregard Dani's anonymous performance last night due to the fact that he was playing in a wide role.  I completely disagree with that because I think he should be able to play quite well in any of these positions:  RW/LW/CAM/RF/LF

It would certainly help him if he was playing in a team with more of our 1st team regulars, but I would liked to have seen him really take the opportunity given him last night with both hands.  In my opinion, he could have and should have done better because he has the talent and ability to do so.  I want to see more of him in the 1st team because I think he has the potential to be a fantastic player, but he has yet to really prove that he has what it takes to be a 1st team regular....
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #596: Dec 03, 2010 06:13:12 pm
      I thought Dani had an awful game. As Craig Burley pointed out in the commentary, "He looks like a little boy lost out there" which was true.

If it wasn't for Kyri and his headers, we could of got soundly beaten tonight. I mean, for F**k sake one-on-one marking is bread and butter, but Wilson made it look like quantum physics last night.

The tactic's for tonight and all games previous minus two (Chelsea and Arsenal) have been awful. It's like we are a league 2 side playing a premiership club.

I mean, we're through, but it just means it prolongs watching this football for longer. It is truly depressing.

Luckily, my night changed when I got a shag, so not all doom and gloom :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #597: Dec 03, 2010 06:17:38 pm
      I thought Dani had an awful game. As Craig Burley pointed out in the commentary, "He looks like a little boy lost out there" which was true.

This from a man that played in one of the shittest Chelsea teams going is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Played one or two excellent passes to try and create something, it's funny how that little boy managed to play an exact pass on the deck, that half the other players in the team couldn't pull off.

And to be fair, I also think Kelly had a bit of a shaky second half, but both of them and also Shelvey will learn from games like last night.

Quick Reply