Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

FIFA Reputation In Tatters

Read 8564 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      FIFA Reputation In Tatters
      Dec 03, 2010 12:04:50 am
      After Wednesday's quite frankly bizarre announcements that Russia and Qatar will host the next two World Cups after Brazil how much do FIFA and it's horrendously elitist body have to answer for? How is it that fellow bid nations who had far superior reports be defeated so comprehensively? Why did these 22 voters vote the way they did? So much to answer for, so little we will get. Today's announcement, along with the revelations made in The Times and Panorama (and rightly so) has truly left FIFA's reputation in tatters. This organization is in need of a desperate overhaul starting with the removal of the Robert Mugabe of football, Sepp Blatter. For as long as it remains untouched the world's most popular sport will be run by a truly corrupt, sleazy organisation. A dark day for football around the world.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 03:03:37 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: FIFA Reputation In Tatters?
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2010 12:13:27 am
      Indeed, totally agree.

To be honest the last few years of stupidity by them, and Blatter himself, has left me with very little respect for them anyways. This just compounded that. Ludicrous decision, completely dumbfounded by it. Russia, not so much - they (despite whatever dark deals happened) still have some footballing pedigree. But what the F**k does Qatar have? Their football team is sh*t, there is no way their national team could ever make it to the World Cup on its own merits. They have gotten close a couple times, but they are just sh*t. They are worse now, ranked at 113th in the world as of right now i believe - i mean doesn't football mean anything now? At least nations like the US and Australia have proved of late we can make it to the world cup on our own, and make something of it.

Im still fuming. I can't believe a pissy little nation of 1.3m people, over half of them expats anyways, gets to host the holy grail of football. Frankly, it stains the reputation of the cup when they don't even have any pride in where its played.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2010 12:17:07 am
      Blatter is a disgrace. Nothing would make them happier than to keep England and their teams marginalised. Res said earlier that Qatar will be taking their stadiums apart afterwards and giving the parts to third world countries? That is madness. No lasting infrastructure. Just an odd PR stunt for football after the world cup and no doubt a big pay off.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2010 12:25:30 am
      Quote from: Qatar WC Record
      Year      Result   Position   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA
       1930 to 1974   Did not enter   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       1978   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   1   0   3   3   9
       1982   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   5   3
       1986   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   6   3
       1990   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   4   6   1   12   8
       1994   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   8   5   1   2   22   8
       1998   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   6   1   4   21   10
       2002   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   14   7   4   3   24   13
       2006   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   6   3   0   3   16   8
       2010   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       2022    HOST                     
      Total   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   78   36   16   26   125   82

Does that just look wrong to anyone else?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2010 12:43:02 am

So? Whats the big deal that qatar got it,if I was a spaniard I would be pissed at fifa overlooked the current world and european champions,but spain have taken it graciousley.

I remember the same old crap spouted in the media that south africa was not safe to travel during the world cup yet it was a success.

After the qatar wc I hope it either goes to china or austarlia,england have got a long wait to host the cup again.

We should be hosting the cup in 2018 which would have been the ideal after the olympics yet a nation that won it has a massive problem with racism and ethnic players playing for russian teams its going to be very intreasting to say the least.

Maybe fifa see russia as a project where it can help russia overcome racism in football at club level and if it means one less chant of racism then its been worth it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2010 12:46:37 am
      I don't think a nation like Qatar deserves it. When Australia has put so much work into our football over the last decade, pushing for a couple World Cup berths and getting them, restructuring development, et etc. What the F**k has Qatar done? Nothing. They have done nothing to deserve the tournament. Nothing.

Oh, apart from having money.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #6: Dec 03, 2010 12:54:18 am
      I don't think a nation like Qatar deserves it. When Australia has put so much work into our football over the last decade, pushing for a couple World Cup berths and getting them, restructuring development, et etc. What the f**k has Qatar done? Nothing. They have done nothing to deserve the tournament. Nothing.

Oh, apart from having money.

I agree with you but do you not think a region that has so much negativity could do with something special as the WC?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #7: Dec 03, 2010 12:58:57 am
      So? Whats the big deal that qatar got it,if I was a spaniard I would be pissed at fifa overlooked the current world and european champions,but spain have taken it graciousley.

I remember the same old crap spouted in the media that south africa was not safe to travel during the world cup yet it was a success.

After the qatar wc I hope it either goes to china or austarlia,england have got a long wait to host the cup again.

We should be hosting the cup in 2018 which would have been the ideal after the olympics yet a nation that won it has a massive problem with racism and ethnic players playing for russian teams its going to be very intreasting to say the least.

Maybe fifa see russia as a project where it can help russia overcome racism in football at club level and if it means one less chant of racism then its been worth it.

You might have a point about the racism claim, but it's not just Russia, it's quite a few Eastern European countries with the same problem, but money wins every time, something Abramovich has done in backing the Russian bid.

I imagine our Govt's stance on profits being taxed was another sticking point with Fifa, they have loads of money-making rules which the host have to guarantee.

As for Qatar, I'm sure a while ago some Qatari tried to challenge Blatter regarding his President of Fifa position. I bet this was also a deal done to sweeten the fella from challenging and keeping Blatter in his nice cosy role.

Honestly thought it would go to Qatar or Australia, so not surprised.

As for England not getting the world cup, again after all the relevations in our press I'm not surprised. Shock, horror!! It's not like our own FA have ever been involved in money-making deals, it's just the likes of Fifa are that much better at it!
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 01:04:25 am by HUYTON RED »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #8: Dec 03, 2010 12:59:29 am
      Poland and Ukraine were forced to join their bids for the Euros, due to one country being "too small" for UEFA.

Why does Qatar, at 11,000km squared, get to host the World Cup?

Something IS going on here, make no bones about it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Dec 03, 2010 01:02:18 am
      I agree with you but do you not think a region that has so much negativity could do with something special as the WC?

Nope. The World Cup won't solve years and years of bloodshed, and nor should a region be given it simply in the hope of doing so. They have done nothing to deserve it. Nothing legal or ethical, anyways.

Poland and Ukraine were forced to join their bids for the Euros, due to one country being "too small" for UEFA.

THIS.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Dec 03, 2010 01:03:24 am
      Maybe FIFA wanted to be able to rule both of them out for awhile Res
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #11: Dec 03, 2010 01:06:23 am

By the way, did you get onto what Blatter said, when he was mentioning the different losing bids can always go for 2030, didn't Blatter mention England and Scotland or is my mind just playing tricks?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Dec 03, 2010 01:42:21 am
      Indeed, totally agree.

To be honest the last few years of stupidity by them, and Blatter himself, has left me with very little respect for them anyways. This just compounded that. Ludicrous decision, completely dumbfounded by it. Russia, not so much - they (despite whatever dark deals happened) still have some footballing pedigree. But what the f**k does Qatar have? Their football team is sh*t, there is no way their national team could ever make it to the World Cup on its own merits. They have gotten close a couple times, but they are just sh*t. They are worse now, ranked at 113th in the world as of right now I believe - I mean doesn't football mean anything now? At least nations like the US and Australia have proved of late we can make it to the world cup on our own, and make something of it.

Im still fuming. I can't believe a pissy little nation of 1.3m people, over half of them expats anyways, gets to host the holy grail of football. Frankly, it stains the reputation of the cup when they don't even have any pride in where its played.

It's being totally honest when Iraq has more right to host the FIFA World Cup. This is a country that has absolutely NO footballing history and once the World Cup is over the stadiums that cost billions to build will be left as empty cauldrons. Disgusting. For me the reputation of the World Cup has been sliding rather rapidly over the past few world cups (barring France 98) and I think there is a real possibility that it just won't be taken that seriously anymore.

I feel sorry for England's bid team. They were magnificent but that doesn't compare with my sheer horror and disappointment at not seeing Australia given the World Cup in 2022. Like the above post this country have done brilliantly in their growth of football and have a truly beautiful setting, culture and stadia to go with it. But all that was rejected for the dirty, shallow oil money of Qatar and it's incredibly soulless grey, dull bid. And football was meant to be a passionate game?? F***ing disgraceful.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 01:50:06 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #13: Dec 03, 2010 01:56:47 am
      It's being totally honest when Iraq has more right to host the FIFA World Cup. This is a country that has absolutely NO footballing history and once the World Cup is over the stadiums that cost billions to build will be left as empty cauldrons. Disgusting. For me the reputation of the World Cup has been sliding rather rapidly over the past few world cups (barring France 98) and I think there is a real possibility that it just won't be taken that seriously anymore.

I feel sorry for England's bid team. They were magnificent but that doesn't compare with my sheer horror and disappointment at not seeing Australia given the World Cup in 2022. Like the above post this country have done brilliantly in their growth of football and have a truly beautiful setting, culture and stadia to go with it. But all that was rejected for the dirty, shallow oil money of Qatar and it's incredibly soulless grey, dull bid. And football was meant to be a passionate game?? F***ing disgraceful.

Looks like you will be watching it on the telly then in 2022.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #14: Dec 03, 2010 01:56:57 am
      Can understand that people here are dissapointed that England and Australia didn't get it, but I'm still a bit surprised about all the negativity on here. I didn't expect any other outcome than this one to be honest. I'm actually quite happy with the outcome, and all dutch people I've spoken to seem to agree.

Only because Poland and Ukraine aren't capable of meeting all the infrastructure, accomodation and stadium requirements on their own, same reason why my country(Holland) always joins forces with Belgium. Qatar however is capable of doing so, can't deny that.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Dec 03, 2010 02:05:54 am
      Why so happy if i can ask Dexter? Honestly feel its disgraceful myself that a nation with no pedigree like Qatar gets this. They are the most undeserved of all IMO.

Australia has put an absolute shitload of money and work into football over the last decade, and turning around the notion that this sport isn't worth it was a big task. You have to understand, 20 years ago this sport was still looked down upon greatly, no one gave a sh*t. Now, we have turned it around a lot. We have a league that is small, but its working. Robbie Fowlers playing there, sure he probably could have played in Qatar for more money.. but he didn't.

What are they gonna do with all the stadiums they have to build? They'll have no use for them. Australia already has most of them, or just needs upgrades on some. The USA already has all 18 stadiums they included on their bid up and in use.

This is an absolute waste of money, IMO.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #16: Dec 03, 2010 02:09:25 am
      The big problem is that FIFA is based in Zurich and corruption isn't a criminal offence in Switzerland. The executive committee are a gang of relics and don't want to reform because they're profiting at the ballot box. Its a nice little earner for them which only comes round once every eight years and they have all the time in the world between World Cups to collude.

It's shocking how 22 individuals can hold such immense power and have such arrogance and lack of integrity. If they claim to represent the football family worldwide, why doesen't the 208 countries get a vote, and make it transparent so that bidders can't schmooze with world leaders and royalty, like the IOC have done.

It will only change once FIFA accepts that its wrong and unfortunately that won't happen while gifts are being bestowed at the feet of the committee members.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #17: Dec 03, 2010 02:30:31 am
      Why so happy if i can ask Dexter? Honestly feel its disgraceful myself that a nation with no pedigree like Qatar gets this. They are the most undeserved of all IMO.

Australia has put an absolute shitload of money and work into football over the last decade, and turning around the notion that this sport isn't worth it was a big task. You have to understand, 20 years ago this sport was still looked down upon greatly, no one gave a sh*t. Now, we have turned it around a lot. We have a league that is small, but its working. Robbie Fowlers playing there, sure he probably could have played in Qatar for more money.. but he didn't.

What are they gonna do with all the stadiums they have to build? They'll have no use for them. Australia already has most of them, or just needs upgrades on some. The USA already has all 18 stadiums they included on their bid up and in use.

This is an absolute waste of money, IMO.
      I don't think it's just about Qatar, it's more about having it in the Middle East, and Qatar is probably just the only or one of the few stable countries that is capable of hosting it in that region. I'm happy because Russia and Qatar both make an interesting and different setting for the tournaments. Western Europe gets a bit boring and predictable for me. :P I'm sure the stadiums will be amazing as well. And let's be honest, compared to South Africa Russia and Qatar are much better places to host an event like this. Ofcourse I'm not planning to go to any of these games, I wouldn't have in England either really, so there's really no loss for me there. No better country to watch Holland's games than my own. ;D To be fair though, Australia would've been cool too, and I doubt it'll be long before it's kept there.

From what I understand all the stadiums can be pulled apart and will be donated to Africa.
      Waste of money, sure. But it'll be wasted there either way, just on something else. :P
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #18: Dec 03, 2010 02:33:36 am
      Good post dexter and in agreement with regarding russia and qatar.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Dec 03, 2010 02:57:04 am
      FIFA=Bollocks!
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Dec 03, 2010 03:10:25 am
      I think it's time football expanded its horizons and the game grew. It's now going to be hosted at different settings not seen before. South Africa was a success, so why not Russia and Qatar? Whatever it is, I see no reason why the World Cup can't make its move around the globe. After all, it's a global game and only football can be the winner.

I think its the diversity in the world that we will also learn to appreciate, especially through football.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Re: FIFA Reputation In Tatters
      Reply #21: Dec 03, 2010 03:26:44 am
      After initial disappointment, i've come around to being excited about the Qatar World Cup. As Dexter stated, it's not just for Qatar, but will greatly benefit the whole Middle East, much like what the South African World Cup did.

Qatar's pitch was far better than Australia's, and the dismantling of the stadia and helping developing nations is a very good thing, but some of you here seem to make it seem criminal.

Qatar, for a country of less than 2 million people, are not actually that bad a football team. They came close to qualifying for the South African World Cup.

If all goes well, I may organise a trip to the 2022 World Cup.

What I'm pissed about is that the Australian Government might not fund bids for the 2026 and 2030 bids, and the biggest sporting spectacle would have done a world of good Downunder.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #22: Dec 03, 2010 03:41:17 am

This morning it read like this:

Year      Result   Position   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA   GP   W   D*   L   GS   GA
       1930 to 1974   Did not enter   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       1978   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   1   0   3   3   9
       1982   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   5   3
       1986   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   4   2   0   2   6   3
       1990   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   4   6   1   12   8
       1994   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   8   5   1   2   22   8
       1998   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   11   6   1   4   21   10
       2002   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   14   7   4   3   24   13
       2006   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   6   3   0   3   16   8
       2010   Did not qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
       2014   Will not qualify                     
       2018   Will not qualify                   
       2022    HOST                     
      Total   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   78   36   16   26   125   82

Not going to lie, I thought it was funny.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #23: Dec 03, 2010 03:48:54 am
      Ii don't care who won the bids, what does piss me off is the lack of transparency in the FIFA bidding process.  I don't think it would be remiss or indeed wide of the mark to say the 2 FIFA World Cup bid officiators 'caught' taking bribes were the tip of the iceberg. 

Good to know that Switzerland are reviewing FIFA's status at the moment, regarding the exemption from corruption charges. 
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #24: Dec 03, 2010 04:07:30 am
      I understand all that about expanding horizons, i do. But Qatar? Still bullshit to me. Say what you want, FIFA's reasons for Qatar are not for the good. I do not believe it will be that big anyways. I mean how much of the middle east population can actually afford to go anyways? The World Cup in the middle east will not change anything, IMO. Be glad to be proven wrong, i just don't think i will.

F**k that dismantling stadia crap. If a country can't even have use for the stadiums, doesn't that speak volumes about why they shouldn't host the F***ing thing?

I strongly stand by that Qatar do not deserve to host the tournament. A nation should need to prove they can make the World Cup finals before they get an automatic spot through hosting it.

I'm not excited one bit. Absolutely disappointed is what i am right now.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #25: Dec 03, 2010 04:44:11 am
      I don't see why the middle east population can't go? Just searched the average Qatari's income. Stands at QR7800, about 1400 pounds. Quite decent isn't it. And considering the currency shouldn't be that strong in the middle east as compared to countries like Japan (where stuff are extremely overpriced), the tickets should be well more than affordable for them.

Beijing hosted the Olympics to resounding success, they build the Bird Nest stadium and now do not know what to do with it as well. But does it take the shine of the fact that they did a remarkable job hosting the Olympics??

Absolutely agree with the fact that Qatar need to prove that they can make the finals though. But at the same time, I think it is also time that a country in the Middle East should host the world cup. So it's a bit of a 50-50 for me in that respect.

Whatever it is, I don't feel disappointed but upbeat about it. It's going to be 12 years before its hosted, still a long time, and probably won't be excited till the start of the tournament. Like I said football is venturing into the unknown and it's a positive sign for me.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #26: Dec 03, 2010 04:52:57 am
      Just remember ROF - over half of the Qatari population is expats who are there for work. Not the average middle-eastern person by any stretch.

My disappointment is compounded by the fact im Aussie - but its justified. Australia has done a hell of a lot more IMO to build football up in our nation than Qatar has. A lot of work has been put into Australian football, this snub just for Qatar to get it is unacceptable.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #27: Dec 03, 2010 05:01:06 am
      I could smell it yesterday and can still smell it today,what a load of ****.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #28: Dec 03, 2010 05:17:53 am
      Fair enough BigV.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Dec 03, 2010 06:02:21 am
      Again - does anyone agree that you should have the ability to make a World Cup at least once in your history to justify hosting the competition? South Africa had been a few times previous, USA have, Australia has, South Korea has and Japan made one prior to co-hosting with S.Korea.

Qatar have nothing to show in football history. They have no identity as a football nation.

I know some may see me as being overly harsh, and maybe i am. But im pretty F***ing pissed off about this.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: Dec 03, 2010 06:03:11 am
      Plus ive had a fair few beers now. Probably dont help my anger at all :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Dec 03, 2010 09:28:05 am
      If you want to expand horizons, move the WC to the only place it hasn't been - Oceania (yes i know we're officially in Asia with FIFA but we're still part of Oceania also). That's expanding horizons.

This country goes F***ing mental when the WC is on, in fact when any form of sporting event is on. The Olympics was one of the best ever and we showed we can handle it all yet when the FFA show FIFA how we are developing the game, moving players abroad, getting more interest in the sport, they say "Sorry, Qatar is a better spot for the biggest event in the world." What the F**k?! Some people never even heard of Qatar until a few days ago. Their country is the size of my neighbourhood FFS and they'll be hosting the WC.

The sport has revolutionised in Australia yet we get kicked in the bollocks and receive ONE vote. One vote?! F**k off.

I mean, at least Russia has shown strength on the world stage and deserve to get it. They have a growing league and Zenit were the team in the spotlight a couple seasons ago that produced great players who are now in the top bracket in the world. That shows merit in the decision.

Enjoy it Qatar, then slip back into oblivion where you are/belong. F***ing bullshit.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #32: Dec 03, 2010 09:42:42 am

Nail on head BigV....it has nothing to do with trying to help a nation or trying to quell racism...nothing at all despite people looking for reasons.

Its plain and simple that FIFA is corrupt and has been for a long long time.

Russia & Qatar simply paid more backhanders than anyone else.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #33: Dec 03, 2010 09:49:10 am
      The sport has revolutionised in Australia yet we get kicked in the bollocks and receive ONE vote. One vote?! F**k off.
      Yeah, that f**king gave me the shits.

Talk about dealing under the table in a subtle manner. No transparency whatsoever when you think Australia only got one vote.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #34: Dec 03, 2010 10:08:02 am
      We spent 35 million on that bid , the government have now said that they will not stump up the cash for future bids now . I wonder if I'll ever get to see a world cup staged here in Australia
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #35: Dec 03, 2010 10:14:41 am
      We spent 35 million on that bid , the government have now said that they will not stump up the cash for future bids now . I wonder if I'll ever get to see a world cup staged here in Australia

To think, at the earliest i will be 36 when it comes here providing we get it in 2030 - which we wont.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #36: Dec 03, 2010 10:18:15 am

They spent the cash in the wrong places.

Would have been better spending 20m and keeping the extra 10m for the backhanders needed to win votes.

Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #37: Dec 03, 2010 10:22:49 am
      TBH though, the Australian presentation was sh*t, compared to the Qatari presentation.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      Reply #38: Dec 03, 2010 10:23:44 am
      I'm amazed England hasn't hosted the world cup since 66 (i think ya's done alright in that one) Have you not been bidding since then ?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #39: Dec 03, 2010 10:24:38 am
      Qatar,Russia let them have it we have the world cup everyweek with the EPL.Have lost interest over the years in following England this will not help.
      Much rather see Liverpool win the league than England win the world cup.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      Reply #40: Dec 03, 2010 10:26:26 am
      TBH though, the Australian presentation was sh*t, compared to the Qatari presentation.

I read an article in todays paper sayin how bad it was . How could they spend so much money and get it so wrong . This was our chance to shine and they roll out Crocodile Dundee for fucks sake .
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: Dec 03, 2010 10:37:12 am
      The worst part was the kangaroo cartoon and Elle McPherson kissing Frank Lowy on the cheek giving that corny speech.

Terrible.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #42: Dec 03, 2010 10:42:02 am
      At this moment in time there are at least 13 men lying on beds surrounded by rubles and rubbing their cocks with ruble notes.

Quite amazing that in this day and age blatant corruption still goes unpunished. What next, Politicians stealing money under the veil of expenses? Tut.

If ever the world needed a revolution of the masses it's now.*

*Disclaimer: The above comments should not be taken as an incitement to riot but just the words of someone who is pissed with the world and all the injustice contained therein. Fuckers.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #43: Dec 03, 2010 10:43:46 am
      They did not emphasise what football has done for the country and the impact a World Cup would have on growing the sport in the country. We've already come leaps and bounds from 20 years ago and it's only growing, but no, that's not important. They'd rather show a kangaroo hopping to who knows where. Piss poor if you ask me.

The Qatari pitch adressed all the issues people had, such as the air conditioning, and also on what the World Cup would do for the Middle East. For example, when they showed one of the kids saying what would happen if Israel were to qualify for the World Cup and how it could help Israelis and Arabs get to know each other.

That's the kind of thing the Aussie pitch was missing.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #44: Dec 03, 2010 11:42:51 am
      What will Qatar do with all the stadiums after the WC?
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #45: Dec 03, 2010 11:47:56 am
      What will Qatar do with all the stadiums after the WC?
      They're dismantling 10 of the 12 stadiums and building 22 new stadiums in developing nations.

Can someone tell me if i'm correct.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #46: Dec 03, 2010 11:52:32 am
      China's nailed on for 2026 apparently.

More money for FIFA!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #47: Dec 03, 2010 12:05:13 pm
      FIFA with the help of that F***ing whopper Sepp Blatter lost all credibility years ago and it really is beyond belief the F***ing clown is still in office.
      No surprise the disclosures surfaced last week about the massive corruption in the organisation from the very top to presumably the lower tiers of power.
      The only way Blatter could retain power is being perched on layer upon layer of festering corruption with everyone doing favours for favours.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #48: Dec 03, 2010 12:12:57 pm
      I think if england had done a joint bid say with scotland or wales then maybe we could of had a better chance.

If england wanted it that bad then im sure they could of laid on a sweetner to fifa.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #49: Dec 03, 2010 02:27:09 pm
      Let's be honest here - Wined, dined and (very likely) sixty-nined; the FIFA delegates 'gift' of the World Cup to both Russia and Qatar were not based on any philanthropic ideal. ...it's a fallacy to suggest that hosting the World Cup will bring peace, harmony, wealth to the populace or an end to racism in 'emerging' nations.

If only the respective Associations had been made aware that: 'only countries with vast mineral wealth, limited or no democracy, are controlled by oligarchs and have no infrastructure need apply'; then they could have saved themselves an awful lot of money, time and heartache.

I can fully understand the anger and resentment felt in England, Spain/Portugal, The Netherlands/Belgium, Australia and the U.S. - what's wrong is wrong.  :-\

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #50: Dec 03, 2010 02:36:56 pm
      Im all for helping areas such as Russia & Qatar advance as countries and such through hosting the tournament.

But not at the expense of football fans all over the world.

How many fans are going to make the journey to Russia/Qatar as compared to UK/Aus/USA?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #51: Dec 03, 2010 03:35:52 pm
      Did FIFA have a reputation in the first place? Not in my eyes.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #52: Dec 03, 2010 04:04:56 pm
      Put it this way, Australia and USA are much bigger markets to venture in to. They missed the boat. The two countries are amongst the highest spenders and investors in sport in the world, and the fan base is extremely loyal in both nations, yet they go to Russia and Qatar. Bad move.

What makes it worse is that both their domestic leagues need a boost, and that boost they would get would be huge. Huge! And the bigger a league is, it shows that the national side reaps the rewards. What prospect does Qatar have on the international scene?

What do they expect in Qatar? They could get at least 500,000 people in to football in Australia, plus even more to crowds at the A-League, which already would be more investment in to the sport than the entire Qatari population. And the spectacle and desire of a WC in Qatar will be diminished once the WC is over when they sell off their stadiums and it's back to the same deserted land.

Really poor decision. Really, really poor.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #53: Dec 03, 2010 04:06:11 pm
      Let's be honest here - Wined, dined and (very likely) sixty-nined; the FIFA delegates 'gift' of the World Cup to both Russia and Qatar were not based on any philanthropic ideal. ...it's a fallacy to suggest that hosting the World Cup will bring peace, harmony, wealth to the populace or an end to racism in 'emerging' nations.

If only the respective Associations had been made aware that: 'only countries with vast mineral wealth, limited or no democracy, are controlled by oligarchs and have no infrastructure need apply'; then they could have saved themselves an awful lot of money, time and heartache.

I can fully understand the anger and resentment felt in England, Spain/Portugal, The Netherlands/Belgium, Australia and the U.S. - what's wrong is wrong.  :-\

Let's not forget the oligarchs that currently hold a disproportionate measure of power in FIFA and indeed our own FA - what goes around comes around.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #54: Dec 03, 2010 07:19:09 pm
      Apparently homosexuality is still punishable with prison sentances?

On top of Islamic laws meaning prohibbting the consumution of alchol?

Can't see homosexual alcholics much of a good time in Qatar 2022..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #55: Dec 03, 2010 07:22:08 pm
      I think if england had done a joint bid say with scotland or wales then maybe we could of had a better chance.

If england wanted it that bad then im sure they could of laid on a sweetner to fifa.

Sweetener - just a polite word for bribe isn't it?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #56: Dec 03, 2010 07:24:49 pm
      They're dismantling 10 of the 12 stadiums and building 22 new stadiums in developing nations.

Can someone tell me if I'm correct.

Sounds like it. Honestly, what a F***ing waste of time. Why host a world cup in a nation that can't even make use of the F***ing stadiums? A country that hosts a competition such as this should at least have some form of identity in sports - Qatar has none, and will never have one, as its just not that kinda nation. The fact that most who live there are outsiders there for business shows the identity of the nation.

And as people have said - FIFAs reasons for being there are as far from good as you could imagine. Trying to justify it as a good thing is stupid, because thats not why FIFA chose it. Won't change much at all IMO, apart from provide one big terrorist target right next door. Heres hoping the security is absolute top notch!

Apparently homosexuality is still punishable with prison sentances?

On top of Islamic laws meaning prohibbting the consumution of alchol?

Can't see homosexual alcholics much of a good time in Qatar 2022..

Yup, we are also seeing a world cup in a nation of homophobes. Could well be a gay football player playing there when its on, not outside the realms of possibility. What would he think of that?

Backwards nation as far as its Laws go, F***ing bullshit.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #57: Dec 03, 2010 07:40:13 pm
      If they wanted it to go to new territories then they should have said so from the start. If this is the case how does Australia not qualify you cant get much newer than there. It would have been a good fit for their criteria but they did worse than us.
      Like most things now in modern life things are just too complicated and it should be judged on footballing terms not on cloak and dagger politics.
      How good is Blatter at saying one thing to your face then sticking a knife in your back as soon as it is turned.Hopefully the Journo's will go to town and make him  squirm a bit.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #58: Dec 03, 2010 07:43:12 pm
      Sweetener - just a polite word for bribe isn't it?

It is how the world operates mate.

Backwards nation as far as its Laws go, f**king bullshit.

Get over it you still have a chance in 2080 ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #59: Dec 03, 2010 07:47:37 pm
      It is how the world operates mate.

Now it's not, it's just how corrupt people want you to think the world is run.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #60: Dec 03, 2010 07:53:14 pm
      Now it's not, it's just how corrupt people want you to think the world is run.

From street level to board room level to presidents of countries it happens,its not what you know its who you know as the saying goes.

The world is corrupt.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Dec 03, 2010 08:01:12 pm
      From street level to board room level to presidents of countries it happens,its not what you know its who you know as the saying goes.

The world is corrupt.

Not everything is, but by acquiescing to it, you make yourself corrupt.  I know a few people who got on by doing there job well & not by who they know. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #62: Dec 03, 2010 09:38:42 pm
      Not everything is, but by acquiescing to it, you make yourself corrupt.  I know a few people who got on by doing there job well & not by who they know. 

Totally agree.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #63: Dec 03, 2010 10:51:54 pm
      There are many reasons why neither Russia or Qatar should host the world cup, but we are missing the main reason.... Supporters!! FIFA does not give a sh*t about the supporters who have to travel to these events.  it is the same with UEFA and their hosting of the champions league in far flung stadiums that are a nightmare for people to get to.

Visas and cost will be a huge problem in Russia, as will the huge distances fans will have to travel between cities.

Russia and FIFA is a cosy match though.  neither like freedom of the press. Putin can put an arm round Sepp and tell him that unlike that pesky free press in the UK, he does not have to worry about the Russian Media, as he has it all under control!  Russia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world.  Again FIFA can relate to this.  Many decisions in Russia are done in secret, and with no accountability (see freedom of press) between a small hiarchy of people... again FIFA like this concept.

As for the middle east in june/july.  my god fans will need to walk round with a drip in order not to de-hydrate.  temps up to 50 degrees. Apparantlely the stadiums are going to be built with open roofs but have some completely tried and untested cooling system that pumps air into the stadium.  This bid was considered very high risk in every way, so we have the right to ask.....how the F**k did they get it????  What mind set is there in FIFA, when the pre bid technical inspection goes to the bidding country, see's no stadiums at all, no fan base, has a tiny population, no lasting legacy, no footballing history and the presentation is just a set of space age pretty drawings giving details of a theoretical cooling technology, and the think, yeah...that's the one for us!  and the government of Qatar will pay for the stadiums!! but excuse me, aren't governents not allowed to get involved in the running of football at national level.  seems like it is ok when it suits FIFA.

I'm not saying England should have got it, but they had a very compelling case.  Why set such high criteria for bids, and then vote for those countries that are the furthest away from meeting those criteria.

Spain and Holland/Belgium's bid was excellent, and yes the Spanish are also pissed off.  They cannot understand the decision either!

as for Australia and the USA, they have even more reason to think this is a stitch up.  they Have great stadiums, growing support, transport networks, hotels, places to eat.  In fact all the same things that would make staging the world cup in those countries great for the supporters visiting, and the same can be said for Spain, Belgium/Holland and England.

All of the losing countries have another thing in common.. a free press and media and democracy (i know Russia does, but it's not exactly a model version).

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #64: Dec 03, 2010 10:58:56 pm
      I didn't have an issue with South Africa hosting the World Cup. The setting more than made up for the dull football on offer. But do you think I will get excited over the setting in Russia and Qatar, especially Qatar? No. Qatar is a dust bowl and I know, not think, I will absolutely hate that World Cup. As a massive F1 fan I've seen F1 races go to the middle east in the past few years and not only are the tracks their boring, the fanbase is shockingly bad and has made NO strides whatsoever...apart from more sponsorship deals from the middle east being plastered all over the place.

If anyone thinks Qatar was chosen to somehow 'develop' football then you are having a right laugh. It really couldn't be a worse place to host the World Cup and there is no exaggeration in that!
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #65: Dec 04, 2010 01:58:35 am
      No. Qatar is a dust bowl and I know, not think, I will absolutely hate that World Cup. As a massive F1 fan I've seen F1 races go to the middle east in the past few years and not only are the tracks their boring, the fanbase is shockingly bad and has made NO strides whatsoever...apart from more sponsorship deals from the middle east being plastered all over the place.
      You say Qatar is a dust bowl and bring up the F1 tracks. I don't know about you, but i'd say the Abu Dhabi circuit is as far from 'dust bowl' as possible, and the scenery is stunning. The same will go with the Qatari world cup. Though i agree with you that the two Middle Eastern tracks have been boring, you can't compare F1 with how football is played.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #66: Dec 04, 2010 10:00:58 am
      A couple of things I heard on the Radio yesterday. May have been said already.

We could hold the World Cup tomorrow. No profit for FIFA.

Russia and Qatar need to build stadia, by "Approved FIFA Contractors"

We would leave "No legacy" as our staidia are here, but Qatar are going to dismantle there  Air Conditioned stadia and "give" them to African countries. Ok fine. But I have BIG issues here.

Air Conditioned Stadia, the cost of running them, the cross infection of A/C. What happens when they break? The Green House effect of all the energy being used.

How are the stadia going to be transported and who is going to pay for them? Which African country is going to want an A/C Football ground when they can not pay for general health care.

FIFA are just interested in PROFIT and the associated Kickbacks.

Can anyone tell me what the Press are saying in other countries? Dexter? anyone. It's not sour grapes. But this is a farce.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #67: Dec 04, 2010 02:46:48 pm
      You say Qatar is a dust bowl and bring up the F1 tracks. I don't know about you, but I'd say the Abu Dhabi circuit is as far from 'dust bowl' as possible, and the scenery is stunning. The same will go with the Qatari world cup. Though I agree with you that the two Middle Eastern tracks have been boring, you can't compare F1 with how football is played.

I'm merely comparing the two commercially. But we're likely to get the same lack of enthusiasm for the surroundings as we do in Bahrain/Abu Dhabi GP.

Personally I think Abu Dhabi GP is a terribly manufactured piece of commercial guff including the scenery.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #68: Dec 04, 2010 03:59:52 pm
      Spot on good post there Redprint.
      Just out of curiosity how many Womens teams do Qatar or Russia for that matter have? I am not a big fan of the womens game but if football development is a key motivator how do they intend to improve that situation.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,231 posts | 919 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #69: Dec 04, 2010 08:38:55 pm
      There are many reasons why neither Russia or Qatar should host the world cup, but we are missing the main reason.... Supporters!! FIFA does not give a sh*t about the supporters who have to travel to these events.  it is the same with UEFA and their hosting of the champions league in far flung stadiums that are a nightmare for people to get to.

Visas and cost will be a huge problem in Russia, as will the huge distances fans will have to travel between cities.

Russia and FIFA is a cosy match though.  neither like freedom of the press. Putin can put an arm round Sepp and tell him that unlike that pesky free press in the UK, he does not have to worry about the Russian Media, as he has it all under control!  Russia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world.  Again FIFA can relate to this.  Many decisions in Russia are done in secret, and with no accountability (see freedom of press) between a small hiarchy of people... again FIFA like this concept.

As for the middle east in june/july.  my god fans will need to walk round with a drip in order not to de-hydrate.  temps up to 50 degrees. Apparantlely the stadiums are going to be built with open roofs but have some completely tried and untested cooling system that pumps air into the stadium.  This bid was considered very high risk in every way, so we have the right to ask.....how the f**k did they get it????  What mind set is there in FIFA, when the pre bid technical inspection goes to the bidding country, see's no stadiums at all, no fan base, has a tiny population, no lasting legacy, no footballing history and the presentation is just a set of space age pretty drawings giving details of a theoretical cooling technology, and the think, yeah...that's the one for us!  and the government of Qatar will pay for the stadiums!! but excuse me, aren't governents not allowed to get involved in the running of football at national level.  seems like it is ok when it suits FIFA.

I'm not saying England should have got it, but they had a very compelling case.  Why set such high criteria for bids, and then vote for those countries that are the furthest away from meeting those criteria.

Spain and Holland/Belgium's bid was excellent, and yes the Spanish are also pissed off.  They cannot understand the decision either!

as for Australia and the USA, they have even more reason to think this is a stitch up.  they Have great stadiums, growing support, transport networks, hotels, places to eat.  In fact all the same things that would make staging the world cup in those countries great for the supporters visiting, and the same can be said for Spain, Belgium/Holland and England.

All of the losing countries have another thing in common.. a free press and media and democracy (I know Russia does, but it's not exactly a model version).

Summed up my feelings exactly, redprint
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #70: Dec 04, 2010 11:07:04 pm
      Indeed FIFA just want money full stop! They don't really care about football's development in grass roots. In some countries, even convicted criminals still can lead their country's football associations.
      Create another world cup and that's it!
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #71: Dec 08, 2010 02:38:00 am
      Just downloaded the new FIFA to my Laptop, tried to open the file and it said it was corrupt.   
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #72: Dec 08, 2010 02:44:30 am
      Just downloaded the new FIFA to my Laptop, tried to open the file and it said it was corrupt.   

Ha ha ha

When first started reading that, I was thinking "he's posting that in  the wrong thread, then the penny dropped!!

Good one.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #73: Dec 08, 2010 07:23:03 am
       F.I.F.A. and U.E.F.A. have both achieved the agendas they set for themselves about 10 years ago,and that is total control of all football associations and more importantly the clubs.It is about time the big clubs stood up to F.I.F.A. and U.E.F.A. and reclaimed football  and stopped these two organisations dictating as to when players have to be released for international duty.Maybe just maybe the corruption might stop if the power of veto is returned to the clubs. Also  these useless friendlies might be kicked into touch for all the good they do.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2010 12:35:40 pm by Reslivo »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #74: Dec 08, 2010 10:35:06 am

The world is corrupt.

I agree with this but then again I am a cynical b***ard and always will be.
      redjames83
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #75: Dec 08, 2010 03:45:19 pm
      A couple of things I heard on the Radio yesterday. May have been said already.

We could hold the World Cup tomorrow. No profit for FIFA.

Russia and Qatar need to build stadia, by "Approved FIFA Contractors"

We would leave "No legacy" as our staidia are here, but Qatar are going to dismantle there  Air Conditioned stadia and "give" them to African countries. Ok fine. But I have BIG issues here.

Air Conditioned Stadia, the cost of running them, the cross infection of A/C. What happens when they break? The Green House effect of all the energy being used.

How are the stadia going to be transported and who is going to pay for them? Which African country is going to want an A/C Football ground when they can not pay for general health care.

FIFA are just interested in PROFIT and the associated Kickbacks.

Can anyone tell me what the Press are saying in other countries? Dexter? anyone. It's not sour grapes. But this is a farce.

Apparently the air conditioning is carbon neutral and powered by solar panels in the desert - again all this technology is untested though!!

RE the stadia apparently only the top tiers of each ground will be dismantled and moved so they won't go to other countries with the air conditioning in place. Which will still leave 12 white elephant stadiums scattered around Qatar.

However, I totally agree that part of the deal will be FIFA's favoured building contractors, there is a huge amount of money on construction and FIFA want their share.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #76: Dec 08, 2010 04:56:41 pm
      So Blatter has come out and branded England bad losers.

And that's the breaking news bar on SSN!!

He's one cheeky corrupt b***ard.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #77: Dec 08, 2010 09:54:30 pm
      I heard that Qatar does not allow women in public. Women will not be able to go which will hurt sales of tickets. If this is true I would hope some men don't buy tickets just to hurt sales more. My dad said it would be great if the supporters around the world boycotted the WC in 2022 to put it to FIFA. I don't think it would happen but would be great if it did. It should go to a country that has equality for all people. I was completely gutted to hear Russia/Qatar were awarded the honor of hosting the World Cup.

One thing I don't understand is how the USA's bid book proposal was awarded the highest points but yet when it came time to bid we didn't get it. I can not believe that our presentation was that bad. It seems like there was a lot of underhanded crap going on behind the scenes. FIFA is a farce and failure to the game.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #78: Dec 08, 2010 10:42:18 pm
      I heard that Qatar does not allow women in public. Women will not be able to go which will hurt sales of tickets. If this is true I would hope some men don't buy tickets just to hurt sales more. My dad said it would be great if the supporters around the world boycotted the WC in 2022 to put it to FIFA. I don't think it would happen but would be great if it did. It should go to a country that has equality for all people. I was completely gutted to hear Russia/Qatar were awarded the honor of hosting the World Cup.

One thing I don't understand is how the USA's bid book proposal was awarded the highest points but yet when it came time to bid we didn't get it. I can not believe that our presentation was that bad. It seems like there was a lot of underhanded crap going on behind the scenes. FIFA is a farce and failure to the game.
      You heard wrong.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #79: Dec 08, 2010 10:48:16 pm

Yeah you heard wrong.

And I never expected USA to get it, I doubt anyone did. The last World Cup there was too recent in my opinion.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      FIFA Corruption
      Reply #80: Dec 23, 2010 10:26:16 pm
      I watched a news report on FIFA and the WC bids.  Can someone explain to me how FIFA is allowed to just do whatever they want?  How are FIFA allowed to operate which is in the strictest sense a monopoly. The enforce all the rules that they themselves make and force every league, country to abide by all the laws that they create with absolutely no oversight.

Not too mention the insane amount of self indulgent policies that transpire in the World Cup and the World Cup bidding process. Their are stacks of papers, documents, witnesses etc all showing that FIFA openly accept bribes, they shuffle the money around to show it coming from "Other Sources" but its blatant and rampant corruption in an organization which honestly is only given its power to govern Football because they say they govern football.

My main argument is why do all the leagues in every country do what FIFA demands and why cant a league just say "F**k Off" and start a non FIFA endorsed league?

KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Re: FIFA Corruption
      Reply #81: Dec 23, 2010 10:32:54 pm
      Money.

It's that simple.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #82: Dec 24, 2010 09:06:34 pm
      I understand the Money aspect to it.  But who appointed FIFA as the sole governing body and how can they just continue to go through corruption scandals and know one steps forward and does an independant, arbitrary investigation. Why allow an organization to influence so much power onto others with absolutely no oversight.

FIFA has all the power only because they say they have all the power. What power do they actually wield besides making threats and trying to impose fines or sanctions.
      If every nation which runs a league demanded FIFA investigations, what could FIFA do to stop it.   Everyone who knows anything about FIFA knows that the main council accepts payments and perks from nations trying to get the WC. Why is FIFA tax exempt?  Why is FIFA allowed to make all the money they can from the WC and the host nations are the ones who lose money from the games?  Why does FIFA get to determine what advertisers are allowed at the games and the host nations get 0 advertising revenue?

Who the F**k allows this? I just dont understand why, arguably the biggest football nation on earth, England has all the facilities, hotels, media centers already built and ready to host an awesome WC get no votes compared to a country that has no facilities ready to host, which has never had a WC game or team and now their are links directly related to Qatar business interests in league with numerous FIFA officials, who surprisingly are the ones who voted on the WC hosts.   Why is this ignored?  The entire process of the WC bid and the "Bid Book" and all that is just so open to corruption.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #83: Dec 24, 2010 09:22:52 pm
      Well if a major league did threaten a split then that would only be a good thing and more often than not succeeds in doing so with it's threat so it's a win win situation. It's not going to happen because FIFA have far too much power.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #84: Dec 25, 2010 01:48:15 am
      Well if a major league did threaten a split then that would only be a good thing and more often than not succeeds in doing so with it's threat so it's a win win situation. It's not going to happen because FIFA have far too much power.
      Does UEFA have the power to split from FIFA?  Arguably the money that FIFA makes is almost entirely dependant on the UEFA teams and Associations. Their is no way FIFA could continue its dominance without European clubs.

I think what needs to happen is a major shakeup and scandal. Something that FIFA cant escape. Eventually FIFA is going to hang itself. All it takes is a major government to come forward under the auspices of International laws and demand investigations into the financial dealings of FIFA.  Regardless of what power FIFA thinks they have, they still must abide by International laws and accountance.

I hope that the recent Bidding process and the fact that Qatar, a nation with absolutely 0 presence or standing in the football world has been given the biggest football tournament in the world.  I dont believe that England received 1 vote and their must of been some sort of monetary influence. I think naming Qatar as host could be a big problem for FIFA and I hope that the FA pursues it. If any governing body has the clout to make FIFA explain their decision its the FA.  All the reports said that England and the US had the best Bids and that the stadiums and infrastructure needed to host the games were already in place and ready.   I am willing to bet that all the "New Building Contracts" in Qatar, now needed from multiple corporations, in order to get the country ready are linked directly to FIFA board members, but as usual no one will look into that and it will be ignored.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #85: Dec 25, 2010 01:52:36 am
      Does UEFA have the power to split from FIFA?  Arguably the money that FIFA makes is almost entirely dependant on the UEFA teams and Associations. Their is no way FIFA could continue its dominance without European clubs.

I think what needs to happen is a major shakeup and scandal. Something that FIFA cant escape. Eventually FIFA is going to hang itself. All it takes is a major government to come forward under the auspices of International laws and demand investigations into the financial dealings of FIFA.  Regardless of what power FIFA thinks they have, they still must abide by International laws and accountance.

I hope that the recent Bidding process and the fact that Qatar, a nation with absolutely 0 presence or standing in the football world has been given the biggest football tournament in the world.  I dont believe that England received 1 vote and their must of been some sort of monetary influence. I think naming Qatar as host could be a big problem for FIFA and I hope that the FA pursues it. If any governing body has the clout to make FIFA explain their decision its the FA.  All the reports said that England and the US had the best Bids and that the stadiums and infrastructure needed to host the games were already in place and ready.   I am willing to bet that all the "New Building Contracts" in Qatar, now needed from multiple corporations, in order to get the country ready are linked directly to FIFA board members, but as usual no one will look into that and it will be ignored.

No, and they wouldn't split from FIFA in any case.

Platini is under Blatter's thumb. Can't you tell by the UEFA spending rules? They're aimed at English clubs.

In any case, if anyone was going to split from FIFA & UEFA, it'd be the individual Football Associations. You could argue that the FA is the real governing body of football, as it's the English footballing head - and, as we invented the damn game, we should have absolute power over who does what with it and why.

If that was the case, though, we'd have gotten 2018 & USA would have gotten 2022 - and of course there'd be uproar about that from many other countries claiming they're not being given a chance.

I say split the FA from FIFA & UEFA, found a new governing body in England and F**k FIFA up the ass.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #86: Dec 25, 2010 01:55:25 am
      Yeah Platini is hanging out of Blatters arse. The pair of complete wankers.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #87: Dec 25, 2010 02:41:57 am
      Its actually come to the stage where now i couldn't give a rats about FIFA or any relation to international football. FIFA is so corrupted its sad. Club footy all the way.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #88: Dec 25, 2010 08:02:09 pm
      I posted this in the London 2012 Olympics to be held in French in the Current Affairs Board, but I think it is relevant here too.

Just how Privileged this people are, and the power they command is disgusting

I was taking to a friend in work today, and we got on to to Qatar, Fifa, and then I said about Boris Johnson and him trying to stop the Fifa cronies getting FREE 5 STAR for the Olympics.

We went searching and I stumbled across this. I know it's the Mail, but from this I could not give a stuff about the Olympics and  glad we have not got the World Cup.

Now it is a long article, be well worth a read.

On your marks, get set, grovel! The secret dirty deal struck to secure the Olympics

There was something rather un-British about all that grovelling to Fifa last week. That, at least, appears to be the new national consensus after even the combined charms of Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham failed to land England the World Cup.

We are not, we now realise, the kind of people who prostrate themselves to fat ­foreign sports bureaucrats. The mother of parliaments will never yield its cherished prerogatives to the rococo whims of some grubby Swiss tax-dodgers.

Oh, wait a minute . . .

Entirely without the help of Mr Julian Assange, we can reveal an international sporting equivalent of the WikiLeaks cables.

Our document cache is just as long, just as embarrassing to Britain, and just as closely held as the collected thoughts of the U.S. diplomatic corps: it is the complete, ­contractually binding and previously ­confidential set of demands made by the 115-member International Olympic ­Committee (IOC) on poor old London for the 2012 Olympic Games.

Like the WikiLeaks, the Olympics leak is by turns creepy and amusing. And it is just as revealing in its detail.

We already knew, for instance, about the politburo nature of the IOC.

What we did not know is that London is, according to these contracts, required to provide the IOC and the ‘Olympic Family’ (including the Committee members, staff and officials) with 40,000 hotel-room bookings for the entire duration of the Games.

This includes 1,800 four and five-star hotel rooms for the IOC elite. Six Park Lane hotels have been booked out for the ­duration of the Games, including the Dorchester, the Grosvenor and the Hilton.

The 40,000-room booking does not, of course, include accommodation for the competitors themselves — they are having an Olympic Village built for them at a cost to taxpayer of £325 million.

Nor is any accommodation being reserved for spectators. On the evidence of the documents, visitors to the Games will probably find that any hotel within a 50-mile radius of London is already fully booked by the third assistant director of the Togolese handball federation and his extensive support staff.

We knew the IOC was being given 250 miles of so-called ‘Zil’ lanes — named after the old Soviet limousines that enjoyed traffic-free passage. They will stretch from London to Weymouth, where the sailing games are being held. It now emerges that there will also be 500 air-conditioned limos whose drivers must wear hats and uniforms.

The IOC does love its little details. The hat stipulation is one of literally hundreds of examples of its micro-management. ­London must provide a ‘dance café’ in the Olympic Village, so that the ­athletes can boogie together.

A flower shop is also required, which the IOC insists ‘should ­provide a range of flowers and gifts for customers in the Olympic ­Village’. British taxpayers will be relieved to know that ‘a balloon rental service is optional’.

The guidance given by the Olympocrats can be bewildering — it offers pages of information about the employment of housekeepers for the athletes, for example.

‘It is recommended that the same housekeeping staff perform their duties for the same teams daily’, because this will ‘build relationships and trust’, ‘give confidence’ and ‘maintain standards’. Making the bed is not enough.

These IOC edicts are called the ‘Olympic technical manuals’. They are attached to the contract signed by the then Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, when we won the right to host the Games in July 2005.

The contract itself was later made public, but for years London 2012 and City Hall refused to publish the manuals, furiously resisting Freedom of Information requests on the grounds that the ‘confidence of the IOC’ must not be breached.

It took two years of campaigning by Paul Charman, a strikingly determined east Londoner, for the documents to come to light.

The real reason, perhaps, for this sensitivity is not because of the hats, the dance cafés or any of the other petty embarrassments. It is because the documents show that the British authorities have ­cravenly agreed to let the IOC ­create what is, in effect, a state within a state.

During the Games, normal ­London life, including ordinary commerce and the right to basic freedoms, must be subordinated to the five-ring circus that is the Olympic ‘brand protection’ policy.

The IOC is paranoid about what it calls ‘ambush marketing’, which it claims is a ‘serious potential threat to the Olympic Movement’ even if it admits that it has, in fact, ‘not been a significant problem in the past’.

Ambush marketing, in the Olympocrats’ eyes, appears to be any branding or promotion for an organisation which has not paid large amounts of money to the Olympics organisers.

Candidate cities, the manuals say, ‘are required to obtain control of all billboard advertising, city transport advertising, airport advertising etc for the duration of the Games and the month preceding it to support the marketing ­programme’. The cost of hiring these billboards alone will surely be enormous.

Customs officers and police must ‘co-operate’ in taking action against unapproved Olympics advertising and the ­confiscation of non-official goods.

So in other words, police officers may be diverted from catching criminals to enforcing the commercial interests of the IOC. ­Customs officers, instead of searching for heroin and child pornography, may end up targeting fake Olympics T-shirts.

Spectators at the Games ‘must not wear clothes or accessories with commercial messages other than the manufacturers’ brand name’. So, for instance, any ten-year-old boy who is foolish enough to wear his Manchester United ­replica shirt, emblazoned with the commercial logo of the team’s sponsor Aon, could be forced to remove it or be denied admission to the Games.

No ‘athlete or other participant’ at the Games can wear any ­clothing on which the manufacturer’s name takes up more than 10 per cent of the surface area, or 12 square centimetres.

No journalist covering the Games is allowed any ‘signage of any kind’, even for his or her own publication — on ‘camera bags, hats or other garments’.

The toughest restrictions apply inside and immediately around the Olympics venues (if you’re a newsagent next to, say, Greenwich Park with a Pepsi sign on your shopfront, heaven help you). But there are also quite serious restrictions in so-called ‘Level 4’ areas — that is, the whole of the rest of the city — in which the organisers of the London Games ‘must attempt to exert as much control over advertising as possible’.

‘Brand protection teams’ will, according to the manuals, ‘conduct surveillance . . . in the [host] city’.

They must ‘attempt to confiscate any infringing ambush material whether inside or outside the venue’.

So much for the idea that it was just the police that had search-and-seizure powers on the streets of London.

Some of the teams will be accompanied by ‘an attorney, in case it becomes necessary to serve any court documents’.

And they ‘must have a police officer within the team or on call within range to assist if necessary in the enforcement of the orders’.

Here, things become even more grandiose. There is even, according to the documents, an ‘airspace plan’ for London 2012, ‘to prohibit any [non-sponsored] presence within the airspace above Olympic venues, and in the ­surrounding areas within the host city’.

However, even the IOC has the grace to admit that ‘there may be obstacles to carrying out airspace requirements completely. For example, it may be impossible to alter the regular flight pattern of commercial airlines’.

Long-suffering taxpayers have been given the impression that the Games will put our nation on the global map, but the documents suggest that something rather ­different will happen. In fact, a geographical space off north-west Europe currently occupied by a nation called Britain will, for the duration of the Games, be taken over by an entirely new country.

For at every ceremony during London 2012, by contractual requirement, the Olympic flag must be more prominent than the Union flag: ‘Precedence of flags: Olympic Flag, Flag of the Organising ­Committees for the Olympic Games (OCOG) or city, flag of the province, region or canton, national flag,’ the manuals insist.

Her Majesty will doubtless acquiesce to the IOC’s demands for an Olympic ceremony and royal reception on the day before the Games officially open, although it is worth noting that she has little choice.

The documents make clear that, as a matter of course, ‘IOC members are presented to the Head of State’, after which they will all watch ‘an artistic programme reflecting local traditions or ­culture’. What a national triumph.

Naturally, the costs associated with all of this are not borne purely by the British taxpayer: £1.4 billion of sponsorship has been raised to finance the games, and the IOC will contribute tens of ­millions more.

The trouble is that the burden on the taxpayer has already reached roughly £12 billion. We may be ­paying the piper, but these ­documents show that it is the IOC who is ­calling the tune.

In perhaps the most insulting touch of all, London must ‘ensure that billboards and pageantry are displayed throughout the city’.

As well as being in English, ‘such billboards and pageantry shall be in French’ — which is the second language of the IOC.

London beat Paris to host the 2012 Olympics, and yet we are required to plaster our capital city with thousands of posters in French.

England may still be sore about losing the World Cup last week — but by God, look at the Olympic guidelines and you’ll realise that we dodged a bullet.

There really are only so many Zil lanes and smartly dressed chauffeurs a country can put up with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337328/London-Olympics-2012-Union-Jacks-sidelined-roads-closed-VIPs.html

« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2010 08:07:16 pm by RedPuppy »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #89: Dec 26, 2010 12:57:32 am
      The liberties that FIFA puts into the Bid contracts are unreal. First, any money that is made during the games, whether its from advertising, tickets, hotels, food etc Anything is completely, 100% tax free.  So FIFA pays 0 dollars in tax for every dollar they make.  So normally when any community or city hosts an event the city collects its local tax to help offset any costs.   Now FIFA forces all the cities who are "Priveledged" enough to host a match, to pay for all the costs including police and security, medical staffs.  So not only do they force the local communities to host the game for free and receive no compensation, they also require free lodging and meals for all FIFA reps and transportation.  So any community that hosts a game automatically loses money because the costs associated with hosting the match and meeting all FIFA's rules are outweighed by any money made from ticket sales, which FIFA gets the majority of also and forcing the local government to then pay their taxes.

Holland published a report about the costs associated for hosting the WC and they, against FIFA regulations, made it public and it shows how insanely crooked FIFA is and that all the rules make it Impossible for any host nation to make money.  FIFA's explanation is that the privelege and marketing for the games provides for costs and the increase in populations for the host cities make it profitable for retailers and business owners.

Every time their is a scandal FIFA just sweeps it under the rug and continues on and on and on....Honestly I dont think any of the top FIFA reps truly care about Football. Its, as usual, just business.  Their is no explanation why Qatar would get the bid instead of England. England would of hosted an AWESOME World Cup.  Instead big business won out, now its in the middle of the desert in the F***ing summer. Now the matches are going to be decided by the team that doesn't die from heat stroke instead of scoring goals.  Oh wait, FIFA said they plan on "Air Conditioning" an outdoor stadium, in the middle east, in the desert, in the summer.    Good luck with that!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #90: Jan 02, 2011 09:36:09 pm
      Firstly, we MUST remember that there is NO Corruption within the the FIFA Family.

Remember that those horrid people from the BBC were nasty men spoiling the FIFA Families name and just telling lies...

So really there is NO need for this to happen, but here it is...

Sepp Blatter proposes Fifa anti-corruption committee
      Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he wants to set up an anti-corruption committee to police world football's governing body.

The move comes after allegations of corruption dogged Fifa throughout the bidding process and voting for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Blatter said: "This committee will strengthen our credibility and give us a new image in terms of transparency.

"I will take care of it personally, to ensure there is no corruption at Fifa."

Blatter told Swiss newspaper SonntagsZeitung the committee would consist of seven to nine members "not only from sport but from politics, finance, business and culture".

And the Swiss confirmed he would not sit on the committee himself as he wanted to guarantee its independence.

The move to set up an anti-corruption unit will raise questions about the future of Fifa's ethics committee, which investigated claims of corruption last year.

Following the investigation, Fifa's executive committee members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii were suspended over allegations they offered to sell their votes during bidding for the World Cup, something the pair vehemently denied.

They both subsequently missed December's ballot in which Russia was chosen to host the 2018 tournament and Qatar the 2022 event, following a secret vote by the remaining 22 committee members.

During the bidding process for the World Cups, Fifa was also forced to investigate rumours of collusion between member associations and their bid committees in relation to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process.

At that time, Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke warned all countries that mutual voting deals were against Fifa rules.

The 2018 Spain-Portugal and 2022 Qatar bids were cleared of collusion in the investigation.

A BBC Panorama programme broadcast three days before the World Cup vote alleged three Fifa officials, Nicolas Leoz, Issa Hayatou and Ricardo Teixeira, took bribes in the 1990s.

Denying any wrongdoing, vice-president Hayatou has threatened to sue while Leoz and Teixeira are said to have also denied wrongdoing.

Fifa said at the time the case was "definitely closed" as allegations had already been investigated in Switzerland, with no Fifa officials being convicted.

Guilty I think!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #91: Jan 02, 2011 10:48:31 pm
      Firstly, we MUST remember that there is NO Corruption within the the FIFA Family.

Remember that those horrid people from the BBC were nasty men spoiling the FIFA Families name and just telling lies...

So really there is NO need for this to happen, but here it is...

Sepp Blatter proposes Fifa anti-corruption committee
      Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he wants to set up an anti-corruption committee to police world football's governing body.

The move comes after allegations of corruption dogged Fifa throughout the bidding process and voting for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Blatter said: "This committee will strengthen our credibility and give us a new image in terms of transparency.

"I will take care of it personally, to ensure there is no corruption at Fifa."

Blatter told Swiss newspaper SonntagsZeitung the committee would consist of seven to nine members "not only from sport but from politics, finance, business and culture".

And the Swiss confirmed he would not sit on the committee himself as he wanted to guarantee its independence.

The move to set up an anti-corruption unit will raise questions about the future of Fifa's ethics committee, which investigated claims of corruption last year.

Following the investigation, Fifa's executive committee members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii were suspended over allegations they offered to sell their votes during bidding for the World Cup, something the pair vehemently denied.

They both subsequently missed December's ballot in which Russia was chosen to host the 2018 tournament and Qatar the 2022 event, following a secret vote by the remaining 22 committee members.

During the bidding process for the World Cups, Fifa was also forced to investigate rumours of collusion between member associations and their bid committees in relation to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process.

At that time, Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke warned all countries that mutual voting deals were against Fifa rules.

The 2018 Spain-Portugal and 2022 Qatar bids were cleared of collusion in the investigation.

A BBC Panorama programme broadcast three days before the World Cup vote alleged three Fifa officials, Nicolas Leoz, Issa Hayatou and Ricardo Teixeira, took bribes in the 1990s.

Denying any wrongdoing, vice-president Hayatou has threatened to sue while Leoz and Teixeira are said to have also denied wrongdoing.

Fifa said at the time the case was "definitely closed" as allegations had already been investigated in Switzerland, with no Fifa officials being convicted.

Guilty I think!

How can the world's media show a blind eye to what is undoubtedly one of the most corrupt governing bodies in sport...and it's governing the world's most popular sport ffs!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #92: Jan 09, 2011 04:51:51 pm
      David Cameron attacks 'murky' football governance

David Cameron has attacked the way world football is governed, describing it as "murky," following England's failed bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

The prime minister claimed he was personally misled by a number of FIFA executives over the bid.

He accused some of them of reneging on assurances that they would vote for England's bid, which only received two of the 22 votes available.

Russia won the vote, while Qatar was chosen to host the 2022 World Cup.

"We had a great bid - technically I think by far the best bid and I think the presentation we made was compelling," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I definitely had a number of those FIFA executives who looked me in the eye and shook my hand and said 'don't worry, we're with you'.

"I'm afraid that the world of football governance is rather murky in that way."

Mr Cameron travelled twice to Zurich to help front the bid and was joined by Prince William and David Beckham in the days before the vote.

He added: "It was sad to lose and yes, some people definitely were not straight with us."

Asked about Fifa chief executive Sepp Blatter's assurances that he would set up an anti-corruption unit, he said: "I think we will have to judge that by the results."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12146131

Quick Reply