Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Henry: Major signings unlikely before summer

Read 3495 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Nov 16, 2010 01:21:54 pm

Liverpool owner John W Henry has hinted that he is unlikely to splash the cash in the January transfer window, indicating instead that the squad will be rebuilt at the end of the season.

Henry challenged Liverpool's existing players and manager Roy Hodgson to make the most of what they have for now, pointing to the club's 2-0 win over Premier League leaders Chelsea as evidence of what is possible if everyone pulls in the same direction.

But he also called for patience from fans, particularly when judging Hodgson and his team, claiming it will take time to return Liverpool to the top of English football.

Speaking to fan website Red and White Kop, New England Sports Ventures figurehead Henry said: "The club has gone through a very difficult period and the period has not ended. We saw a certain team on the field against Chelsea last week that showed what they can do. We also know how competitive the EPL is this year. There are no guaranteed matches any longer for any club. This club can be better. Blaming the manager or any one particular player is simply wrong. This club needs to play up to their potential every match. If they don't, they won't win.

"That said, we have work to do and must invest in this club to improve it on the field. Can that be successfully done in January? A number of people I've talked with doubt it. Most people seem to think it will be the summer before we can really begin to improve. So the players - all 11 each week - have to be on the same page every match and have to live up to the history and respect this club has engendered - no matter what."

Henry explained that he has moved to appease concerns from players that the club can no longer match their ambitions.

He said: "I've been greatly impressed by them personally. They are all exceptionally bright and they all want to be here. The question they have had, rightfully so, is whether or not the club is going to go in the right direction. They all want to see that. I have been very forthright about our philosophy and about what we are going to try to achieve. Some would prefer a quick fix. Others prefer to focus on the long-term and that is very difficult for most players."

Henry said he is expecting Damien Comolli, the club's first director of football strategy, to help the club's long-term prospects through improved output from the club's academy.

"We need 'top four' young players," Henry said. "They will not produce a quick fix but our philosophy in football will be based on the long-term. That is what has made Arsenal and Manchester United so strong. They understand something we understand in Boston - to be consistently strong on the field you must have a consistent flow of young talent that has been nurtured and developed the right way. We will focus on that. That is also the philosophy of Damien Comolli."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=842980&sec=england&cc=3888
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Henry: Major signings unlikely before summer
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2010 01:23:41 pm
      Ok John no major signings, fine. Will you at least tell the tw*t running the team to play his best 11 players and to paly attacking football and when they arent available the stand ins play football the way it should be!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2010 01:25:15 pm
      Talk about lowering expectations. Could I point out to Mr Henry it is the Manager of the team that is responsible for motivating them and ensuring that they play well each match nobody else. He has a squad of 24 if he cant find 11 players most of whom are internationals to do a job then he isnt worthy of his postion in the club. To say it isnt the managers is worrying it certainly isnt mine.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2010 02:14:12 pm
      Quote from: John Henry
      "That said, we have work to do and must invest in this club to improve it on the field.

"We must invest.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2010 02:57:08 pm
      I wouldn't expect their to be major investment in a winter transfer window.  Some quality is available, but the majority is usually teams off-loading players, not re-building.  Nothing to see, or to be inferred, here to be honest.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2010 04:46:32 pm
      Fair enough to be honest but I'd like to see us still active in January. Some good players have been bought in January like Skrtel for us and Adam Johnson for City.
      eoghanm
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2010 05:28:36 pm
      A left winger at least henry!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2010 05:34:01 pm
      Striker and a left winger a must in Jan,i would say there will be a player or two leaving in jan anh Roy will get that money.
      pedro43
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 16, 2010 07:17:18 pm
      If our players took the field with the attitude shown against Chelsea every week we wouldnt need to spend much.Its time for the players who pull on that red shirt to stop underperforming
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Nov 16, 2010 07:24:37 pm
      The thing I like about this guy is that he actually seems to really know his sh*t.

Appears to have the right ideas. Great to see.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #10: Nov 16, 2010 07:52:28 pm
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #11: Nov 16, 2010 08:52:59 pm
      I'm really pleased with this news,wouldn't trust Roy Hodgson with sufficient funding in any transfer window.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Nov 16, 2010 09:58:21 pm
      Reds prepared to splash the cash

Liverpool's director of football strategy Damien Comolli claims owners New England Sports Ventures are prepared to buy in January.

Comolli was brought in earlier this month to oversee recruitment and the development of the academy.

Manager Roy Hodgson plans to make changes in the forthcoming transfer window but much will depend on whether the club can bring in the right type of player without paying over the odds.

But that is not to say principal owner John Henry and NESV chairman Tom Werner will not release funds for the right individual.

"We have a pretty good idea of what we would like to do and we have identified targets," Comolli said.

"If there's a possibility of us getting a world-class player, we will have the backing.

"John and Tom want to win - and you win with top players.

"If it can be done in January, great. If it can't because we feel it is the wrong market or players are overpriced, then we will wait.

"I'm not going to say we won't do anything in January because that is not the idea at the moment.

"We will do what is right for the long term. What is right for the long term can be something we do in January."

Comolli arrived from French club St Etienne a fortnight ago having previously worked in England with Arsenal and Tottenham, and his immediate priority has been to help draw up list of potential signings in January. A longer-term brief is to generate a steady flow of quality youngsters from the academy to the first team.

From what he has seen in his short period at Anfield, the Frenchman does not believe the problems are as bad as they are sometimes portrayed.

The club had a difficult start to the year but appeared to have bounced back from that only to lose at Stoke on Saturday.

However, Comolli likes to take a more measured view of things.

"The club is not in a bad state. We've had some great results. It's not in ruins. Everything is there to be successful," he told BBC Sport.

"We have to win and bring back trophies. For a club this size, it's not about top six or top four - we must win everything that's winnable."

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item533038/Reds-prepared-to-splash-the-cash/

Surely this means we'll have a new manager by January?  :f_tongueincheek:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Nov 16, 2010 10:52:44 pm
      Is it Carlton Cole
      eoghanm
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 17, 2010 08:44:48 pm
      I'd be awfully upset if the world class talent was Carlton Cole
      bigbaz
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 389 posts |
      • A Proud Irish Scouser
      Reply #15: Nov 18, 2010 02:22:49 pm

So would I
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #16: Nov 28, 2010 12:06:44 pm
      Hopefully this means they wont trust Roy with large funds and they are looking to replace him before the end of the season.
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #17: Nov 28, 2010 01:02:56 pm
      Hopefully this means they wont trust Roy with large funds and they are looking to replace him before the end of the season.
           let's hope that is the truth.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #18: Nov 28, 2010 02:35:07 pm
      I hate that feeling when your club is about to sign someone you really don't want at the club for one reasonor another. Mainly because they're sh*t! Admittedly I did not have it with Poulsen, but obviously since then I have changed my opinion of him, but I had it with Konchesky. I hope I do not have it with Carlton Cole.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #19: Nov 28, 2010 10:34:24 pm
      I have a bad feeling roy will stay till the end of the season, then we will replace him and spend in the squad. I hope we get the porto manager, Andre Villas Boas. He plays good attacking football and is storming the portugal league. Was also assistant there under jose.

But we must get 1 quality winger come janurary. Someone who would be cheapish like n'zogbia or payet. Both for about 9 million
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20: Dec 04, 2010 04:48:13 pm
      Tell me which part of Talent and World Class describes Cole.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #21: Dec 04, 2010 04:53:59 pm
      Tell me which part of Talent and World Class describes Cole.

Ashley cole? Maybe ;D. Yeah if we get cole I would be pissed. But will star players stay till next season?
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2010 04:55:47 pm by Reslivo »
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #22: Dec 04, 2010 05:58:15 pm

And a striker! Then in the summer we clear out some of the sh*te we have and bring new faces in. Another striker and a right mid are a must have.

Quick Reply