Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Gerrard on the wing?

Read 3923 times
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Gerrard on the wing?
      Dec 06, 2010 11:04:26 pm
      This is something I've been wondering for a while, should we put Gerrard on the wing?

For me we should. I've always thought this way for the a while and the last few matches were Gerrard has been injured seems to have made an even bigger case for putting him on the wing.

I'll be honest and say we've looked a much better side since he's been injured. The games against West Ham, Spurs and Villa we've looked much better than we have in the past especially in the center of the park. Lucas and Meireles have both been immense since his injury. Raul has come off from the right hand side and gone back to his natural position in the center and is looking not only comfortable but excellent, some of his quick passing is Xabi-esque. The biggest difference with Gerrard's absense however is Lucas. For me the past two games have without Gerrard have been Lucas' best (bar Chelsea). I also seem to recall a game early on in the season without him that Lucas also did well in. I'm not sure why he seems to do better without Gerrard next to him, maybe it's because he dosen't feel as much pressure playing next to him or maybe he is told to sit more instead of attack when Stevie is next to him, but what I do know is that the Lucas-Meireles combination is working briliantly and they seem to have a great understanding and it would be criminal to break that up, especially as it seems to be benifiting not only Lucas and Raul more but the whole team, the likes of Torres and Maxi are seeing more of the ball getting more chances.

Of course another point is that Gerrard is hands down our best winger and best crosser of the ball. He played on the right midfield during the 05/06 season and assisted a fair few and scored his 2nd highest goal tally with around 20-odd goals. We also won the FA Cup that season and finished with 82 points.

I'd wouldn't mind something like this

Reina

Johnson        Skrtel        Kyriagkos       Aurelio

Gerrard        Lucas        Meireles        Rodriguez     

Kuyt           Torres

However I highly doubt Roy and Gerrard would ever agree to this sadly.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Gerrard on the wing?
      Reply #1: Dec 06, 2010 11:08:17 pm
      the Lucas-Meirles is flourishing and should not really be broken up. It is also a coincedence that 2 up top IS working for us and Kuyt's form has dropped, stick him there for a game and see how we do.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Dec 06, 2010 11:09:14 pm
      Just play 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard as AM.

Lucas Meireles
          Kuyt             Gerrard         Maxi
                              Torres
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #3: Dec 06, 2010 11:10:10 pm
      I love the look of it. I'd rather see Maxi uptop with Torres to bring Cole into the left or Babel/N'Gog uptop with Torres. I think Kuyt is a squad player now. He hasn't been in form all season long.

Keep the 4-4-2 though and Raul/Lucas together while in form, at least.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #4: Dec 06, 2010 11:15:55 pm
      The problem with Gerrard is that it is actually a long time since he played proper central midfield for us.

Every one has their own opinion, but mine is that he is getting on, I think his best years as a box to box midfielder were back before 2007/08.  I don't think that is his best position.

Either just behind the striker or on the wing is where he is more suited.  More involved in attacks than handed defensive responsibilities.  If you look at the seasons he has banged the goals in for us, he has been in either of those two positions.

I'm not sure where he will play, he effectively has the power at the club to decide where he wants to play.

However, looking at tonight you would argue that Kuyt was our weakest offensive player.  This argument will run on and on but I think as long as some people realise he can no longer run up and back 120 yards every other minute then we can all debate the point a bit more sensibly.

Maybe with someone with the pace of Johnson, good things could happen on the wing.

But I'll tell you one thing. He'll spit his dummy out about it. ;) (Unless it's England of course).
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Dec 06, 2010 11:16:13 pm
      I like the idea of it. Can't see Stevie agreeing to this and as he is a bit older, naturally he's lost a bit of pace, but he would definitely be an upgrade (to say the least) over Kuyt.

I was calling for a Christmas tree-type formation earlier in the season, and maybe it would work out.

Gerrard           Meireles                  Lucas

Maxi                      Cole/Babel

Torres

I do agree however that if we continue a 4-4-2 (which seems to help Torres' isolation issues) that the best team will have Stevie on the right, or as the second striker/attacking mid in a 4-4-1-1.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #6: Dec 06, 2010 11:33:22 pm
      All depends on the formation too.  Gerrard's best position is "wherever Liverpool need him to play" but if I had to pick a position it would be off the striker.  As we all know a 4-4-2 doesn't have someone playing off the striker, so with that in mind, we should be shifting him to the wing.  However with a 4-4-2 formation, we have a whole new set of dilemmas.

Stick with the 4-2-3-1 but simply play Lucas and Meireles in more advanced positions.  Lucas will naturally tuck in when necessary and Meireles actually backtracks so it's not too risking too much.  We've still got the option of deploying Kuyt or Aurelio on the left in lieu of Maxi if we require additional defensive responsibilities.  Play with asymmetric wide players depending on our opponent and I can't really see the issue.  Torres isn't isolated because he's up front by himself, he's isolated because the ball isn't being knocked around patiently in a midfield deployed 10 yards further up the pitch.

I strongly believe we have a lot more options than both of our recent managers have led us on to believe.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #7: Dec 06, 2010 11:38:33 pm
      He had one of his best season for us at RM and I think h when he comes back he should play there if Roy continues with 442 or behind Torres if he changes the formation slightly.

Lucas and Miereles have been excellent together and also Gerrard is a better RM than Raul and at this minute and time Raul is a better CM than Stevie. Also playing RM means he can influence the attack a lot more and get some of his excellent crosses in without having to cove defensively in CM.

Most of us agree with this but Roy will not have the balls to do it and Stevie will not want to play there which annoys me as he seems to play anywhere he is asked for England yet get p***ed off for us if he is not played centrally.

Time will tell on this one.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #8: Dec 06, 2010 11:42:32 pm
      Well one thing's for sure Gerrard is the only player in the squad that can cross a ball.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Dec 06, 2010 11:44:07 pm
      All great ideas in here and none i would say no to.

Personally, don't see it happening. Aquilani drowning is a bigger possibility.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #10: Dec 06, 2010 11:56:10 pm
      Steven Gerrard can play anywhere he wants, except in goal. Ever since the departure of Alonso, I wanted to see Gerrard in the centre of midfield but now we have Raul Meireles, who looks like he can do a job there when paired with Lucas. So, this leaves Gerrard either on the wing or in the hole.

If Gerrard was 25 years old, I would stick him on the wing. Let's be honest, he isn't getting any younger and it probably isn't a great idea to have him on the wing. But this argument is countered by the fact that Kuyt, who is 30 years old, plays there but he's an android and can work all day.

I felt playing Gerrard in the hole won't work anymore because we lost the type of player who could distribute the ball to him, the wings and anyone, anywhere on the pitch and that's why I wanted Gerrard there. I was one who wanted to see a Meireles-Gerrard partnership but right now, Lucas and Meireles seem to have built a very good understanding and both have really been stand out performers in the centre, together.

Problem is, some people felt Torres plays better with a partner now. Haven't exactly seen Gerrard and him tearing defences apart for a long time now, have we? So, do we pair Gerrard alongside Torres? No, because Gerrard isn't a forward! I also argued that Cole would be the best choice in the hole but right now, I'm not sure again.

I don't really have much idea on how to fit Lucas, Meireles, and Gerrard in without pushing one of them out of position, without dropping one of them and without removing a defender!

I think the only way left to do it is play the 4-2-3-1 and see if it works again.

Lucas                    Meireles

Maxi                        Gerrard                       Cole

Torres
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #11: Dec 07, 2010 12:25:15 am
      Well one thing's for sure Gerrard is the only player in the squad that can cross a ball.

Meireles appears to be a decent crosser. Although he should NOT be played on the wing.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Dec 07, 2010 12:27:13 am
      Meireles appears to be a decent crosser. Although he should NOT be played on the wing.

Probably not so relevant but I think Aurelio is decent as well.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2010 12:35:45 am
      I am 95% sure we will play a 442 if Lucas or Meireles get dropped I would be angry. They were brilliant. Who to drop babel or n'gog? That's a tough one. I would play torres and n'gog for newcastle. Play gerrard on the right. If he don't like it then tough. He isn't the manager.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #14: Dec 07, 2010 12:37:03 am
      So we can add to Fields of Anfield Road by saying "We had Gerrard on the wing" ? ;)
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #15: Dec 07, 2010 12:40:33 am
      well im sorry.
      but im afraid if gerrard comes back into the side after his injury straight in the centre then there is no justice.
      lucas and merieles are forming a fantastic partnership. raul was sh*t wide right when he first came. and stevie can play there. it gives the side more balance.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #16: Dec 07, 2010 01:53:17 am
      well im sorry.
      but im afraid if gerrard comes back into the side after his injury straight in the centre then there is no justice.
      lucas and merieles are forming a fantastic partnership. raul was sh*t wide right when he first came. and stevie can play there. it gives the side more balance.

Entirely agree.

Would do him no harm to sweat on the sidelines for a bit.  Imagine the boost the current players would get from that.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: Dec 07, 2010 02:07:31 am
      On form, Gerrard does not deserve to be in the middle. We have looked much improved with the pairing of late, and honestly this is what the experienced fellas need. They need to feel some competition for spots, and that can only serve to improve the entire teams fortunes when even our best players are not 100% guaranteed of a game.

If Gerrard comes back and i see Raul on the right again, i may actually have a breakdown.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Dec 07, 2010 02:57:11 am
      Steven has a huge impact on games IMO. Even more so from off the bench. Can't imagine that happening though either.

On current form, he should replace Kuyt on the right.

Won't happen though, Roy will revert back to one up front to fit Gerrard in the hole.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Dec 07, 2010 03:24:47 am
      I have no problem with Gerrard on the right. The "problem" about him there is that he is such a good player that, no matter how well he does on the right, if our central midfield have any problems during the game, people will say it's because Gerrard is out of position - even if that means playing him in the middle, and then having problems on the wings.

That was the case in the 2005/06 season. I remember quite clearly all the discussion about Gerrard on the right, and how Rafa got blamed for that every time we didn't win (although no praise was given when it worked). In the end, it was one of Gerrard's best seasons ever and, if I'm not mistaken, he was chosen PFA player of the year, being the first Liverpool midfielder to score over 20 goals since John Barnes.

With Lucas - Meireles looking better each game in central midfield, I wouldn't oppose to seeing the captain on the right.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Dec 07, 2010 06:47:38 am
      Difficult decision for Hodgson to make. 4-4-2 is clearly working for us. Perhaps we could like to stick Gerrard just off Torres and then play 4-4-2 with Gerrard as a support striker. That would be fine with me as well. Their bromance would be reunited as well!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #21: Dec 07, 2010 10:35:27 am
      I like the idea of Gerrard on the right. With Maxi starting to hit a bit of form on the left i think this would work. Kuyt has gone a little off the boil since his injury so if Gerrard was put on the right at least we could get some good crosses over to the front men.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #22: Dec 07, 2010 11:10:33 am
      I think he would make a great impact sub,just look at what he did with napoli.

Quick Reply