Trending Topics

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How many players do we need to move on this summer?

None, the squad is perfect and I live in cloud cuckoo land
      1 (0.4%)
      1-2, some mild tweaking
      3 (1.3%)
      3-5, changes required
      110 (49.1%)
      6-8, we need an overhaul
      89 (39.7%)
      9 or more! Clean slate, start afresh
      21 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Players to ship out? (Poll added)

Read 39317 times
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Re: Players to ship out?
      Reply #23: Jan 05, 2011 11:24:21 am
      Lucas is a starter for the Brazil Selecao, what the f*ck are you on ?

And thats yours..nice one
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #24: Jan 05, 2011 11:25:06 am
      OUT:
      Dirk Kuyt - 8M ; Milan Jovanovic - 4M ; Ryan Babel - 8M ; Paul Konchesky - 3M ; Christian Poulsen - 2M ; Sotirios Kyrgiakos (because of his age) - 1M ;
      Emiliano Insua (recall and sell him) - 5M ;
                         TOTAL: 31M

Then get a striker (Llorente-15M), two wingers(Young-14M, N'Zogbia-9M), a CB (Mertesacker-10M), a LB (Santon - 8M), and a defensive midfielder (Annan - 5M).
       TOTAL: 61M
       So we need to have a 30M budget and a better manager to compete for the title I think  ;).
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #25: Jan 05, 2011 11:26:07 am
      Dont forget Aquialni wont want to come back either, so we should generate something from him.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #26: Jan 05, 2011 11:29:49 am
      THere is no way I would get rid of Lucas. We should of kept Aquilani and we should have got and outstanding defender or two (becasue they are cheaper) get rid of Cole, Konchesky, poulsen and Babel and get a couple of decent forward players.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #27: Jan 05, 2011 11:30:26 am
      Why let Lucas go when he has been one of our better players this season?

I'd sell Konchesky and Poulsen right away. I'd only sell the others if we can find better replacements.

this!!

I'd probably add in Kuyt aswell I like the guy for his effort he puts in, and what he has done for us, but I just think that extra bit of stamina he had is gone, and his quality isent't as prominent as it used to be.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #28: Jan 05, 2011 11:31:42 am
      There's hardly anyone that I'd get rid of because it depends so much on who we can get in. For example, I don't rate Konchesky but unless we're getting someone else to cover the injury prone Aurelio then he's useful cover.
      Poulsen can go whenever, we have youngsters who can do his job so we don't need to pay his wages.
      Lucas has progressed well over the last year so I wouldn't sell unless we got a top class replacement.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #29: Jan 05, 2011 11:32:40 am

So my problem is I don't know what your on ?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #30: Jan 05, 2011 11:32:53 am
      Dont forget Aquialni wont want to come back either, so we should generate something from him.

Wasn't a £12M fee written in to the loan agreement?

For all the whining people have done about him, it looks like he will only have cost us £6M.  Bearing in mind that we spent about £8M on Poulsen and Konchesky, not to mention the fact that his assists and goals helped us actually qualify for European football this year - the Aquilani deal isn't looking all that bad anymore.
      THere is no way I would get rid of Lucas. We should of kept Aquilani and we should have got and outstanding defender or two (becasue they are cheaper) get rid of Cole, Konchesky, poulsen and Babel and get a couple of decent forward players.

On Lucas, do you mean not get rid of him now or never?

And I agree about Aquilani, unfortunately what is done is done.  Not much we can do about it now.  Best to cash in and start again.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #31: Jan 05, 2011 11:33:45 am
      So my problem is I don't know what your on ?

Your attitude to a fellow fan, go troll another thread, or stay on topic
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #32: Jan 05, 2011 11:35:24 am

For all the whining people have done about him, it looks like he will only have cost us £6M.  Bearing in mind that we spent about £8M on Poulsen and Konchesky, not to mention the fact that his assists and goals helped us actually qualify for European football this year - the Aquilani deal isn't looking all that bad anymore.

And I agree about Aquilani, unfortunately what is done is done.  Not much we can do about it now.  Best to cash in and start again.

I would definitely build with LUcas in mind. I really think he is a very good player in spite of the Roy's sud standard tactics. However his attitude has always struck me as outstanding too.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #33: Jan 05, 2011 11:36:18 am

Im not sure what was agreed with Aquilani, such a shame though, he had real ability.

I think the Lucas debate is we need someone in there the same standard as Alonso/Masch until then maybe he can stay but i wouldnt ever concider him first 11 material by a long shot
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #34: Jan 05, 2011 11:42:09 am
      Im not sure what was agreed with Aquilani, such a shame though, he had real ability.

I think the Lucas debate is we need someone in there the same standard as Alonso/Masch until then maybe he can stay but i wouldnt ever concider him first 11 material by a long shot

To be honest I'd keep him, was really impressed with him on Saturday they way he kept trying to bring the ball down and play it on the deck.

In fact it was through Lucas doing exactly that, that led to our second goal, he brough the ball down in the centre and looked towards Gerrard and Johnson on the right, we win the throw and Gerrard plays over the ball and we get the winner.

As for Aquilani, said it when we bought him that I always thought he was injury-prone and a bit of a shitbag, I think even rafa pointed towards it when he said the problems were in his head.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #35: Jan 05, 2011 11:42:15 am
      Your attitude to a fellow fan, go troll another thread, or stay on topic

The tabloids criticise Lucas without mercy, I have watched him with my own eyes and if anything the bigger the game the better he is. As for staying on topic. Should we get rid of anyone. Well that depends on many things. If Roy stays ..who cares! we could have the next diego maradona nad we would still not win. If some of the coaches touted on here come in then we should expect changes but that depends on the money available and the players available. However if Comolli is calling the shots then we would have to understand what he thinks the direction of the team is. That would dictate the players and manager we are likely to see. In short getting rid of players depends on where we are going as a team in general. If it were me I'd get a manager first then worry about players later
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #36: Jan 05, 2011 11:48:11 am
      OUT:
      Dirk Kuyt - 8M ; Milan Jovanovic - 4M ; Ryan Babel - 8M ; Paul Konchesky - 3M ; Christian Poulsen - 2M ; Sotirios Kyrgiakos (because of his age) - 1M ;
      Emiliano Insua (recall and sell him) - 5M ;
                         TOTAL: 31M

Then get a striker (Llorente-15M), two wingers(Young-14M, N'Zogbia-9M), a CB (Mertesacker-10M), a LB (Santon - 8M), and a defensive midfielder (Annan - 5M).
       TOTAL: 61M
       So we need to have a 30M budget and a better manager to compete for the title I think  ;).

young and nzogbia would cost more than that i think, but having 2 wingers like that would be juicy. also, dont forget arda turan actually wants to play for us too. dzeko's a done deal for citeh who paid about 10 million too much for him but.

lorente, stancu, vargas are all good shouts for young strikers.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #37: Jan 05, 2011 11:51:17 am

The thing is we need more than just first XI material. Lucas, out of all you have mentioned, is the one player we could genuinely say that he would add depth to the squad; i'd be content enough to keep him: the rest i'd have no qualms about.

I'd also get rid of Aurelio, Kuyt and possibly Maxi - down to age as much as anything else. Carragher and Sotis also need moving on; but more gradually. I genuinely believe we have enough young talent ready and in place to step into the Centre-Half role.

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #38: Jan 05, 2011 11:51:19 am
      The only three we must ship out for me are Poulsen, Konch (as they are sh*t) and Babel (as he will have 1 year left in his contract this summer, and had hundred of chances already).

Lucas and N'Gog are young, and should stay even if it's to bring depth when better players are recruited (I doubt we recruit 2 second strikers better than N'Gog and find even more unlikely that we sign even one defensive midfielder better than Lucas in a near future). If a young DM should go when we recruit a new one it's Spearing as he is inferior to Lucas at about the same age (and I'm not even sure he won't become first team material ; he was very unlucky to be injured after some very good perfs in europa league this season).

Skrtel, still young too, and has a bad season probably because we appointed a manager not having Rafa attention to detail, not giving him the informations he needs on opponents, and we abandoned zonal marking. I won't think about selling him before we see if he is back to his level with a decent coach. And even if he is not, considering Kyrg and Carra are aged, it may be better to keep Skrtel in the squad at least as long we are not sure Ayala and Wilson will be better.

Torres is also in the category of "we need to see how good he will be with a decent manager". His average performances are probably the result of Roy, but may also be long term injuries related.

The ageing Jova, Cole, Aurelio are players who need to prove they are/remain Liverpool quality in the coming months. I'm undecided about them. Considering their wages, if we have a good offer I'd probably sell Cole or Jova now even if it's rather unfair considering the small amount of chances they got ; for Aurelio, we need to find a quality left back first (and have Insua back, or Robinson improving enough to be the number 2).

Kuyt is another I may think about selling if we get a decent offer. His performances are bad this season and he may be on the decline. Now I also suspect that he is one more victim of our tactics, as he was a natural striker, converted some years ago to right forward in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, and now forced to play lateral midfielder defending in his half in a deep 4-4-2, very far from the positions he masters. If we don't get a good offer, I see him stay as a bench option while a real right winger is appointed, Kuyt getting to play for those matchs against physical teams where fighting spirit is needed more than speed or technic.

Maxi, Kyrg are getting old but are in one of their best seasons. I won't sell them before they start to show signs of decline, especially as I doubt the club would get enough money with the sales of these cheap players to buy correct replacements.
      Carra is also in this category of still good veterans (with a more average season), but I doubt he would be sold even if he declines, he's just going to end his playing carreer here (probably on the bench), then will probably be offered a chance to join the coaching staff.

ps :

To resume I see the team future like that :
      GK : Reina, Jones (sell him when Gul become 1st team quality), Gulacsi, (promote other young GK when Gul replace Jones)
      CB : (recruit tough and reliable first teamer), Agger (when not injured) or Skrtel (if back to his first season level) as other usual starter, Skrtel/Wilson/Ayala (benched defender ; decide 2 or 3 years in the future which one to keep) , Kyrg/Carra (veteran option in the squad),
      LB : (recruit first teamer), (Insua/Robinson/Mavinga/recruit a decent n°2 if none end good enough)
      RB : Johnson, Kelly
      DM : Lucas, (recruit n°2 if Spearing don't improve a lot)
      CM : Mereiles, Shelvey, (Gerrard)
      RW : (recruit quality winger), (Kuyt/recruit n°2), (recruit young n°3 eventually)
      LW : (recruit quality winger), Maxi, (recruit young n°3 eventually)
      AM/SS : Gerrard, (Cole?), Pacheco/Suso
      ST : Torres (or other world class striker if Torres perfs stay the same with a decent manager), (recruit n°2), N'Gog
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011 12:48:24 pm by TonioLerouge »
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #39: Jan 05, 2011 11:51:38 am
      The tabloids criticise Lucas without mercy, I have watched him with my own eyes and if anything the bigger the game the better he is. As for staying on topic. Should we get rid of anyone. Well that depends on many things. If Roy stays ..who cares! we could have the next diego maradona nad we would still not win. If some of the coaches touted on here come in then we should expect changes but that depends on the money available and the players available. However if Comolli is calling the shots then we would have to understand what he thinks the direction of the team is. That would dictate the players and manager we are likely to see. In short getting rid of players depends on where we are going as a team in general. If it were me I'd get a manager first then worry about players later

I agree, my perception is that when you take out Gerrard, Torres, Reina and Agger we have a very average mid table team.

I think Lucas is a basic player who is a bit like Kuyt, has passion and drive which is missing sometimes but his distribution, tackling , heading and goal scoring ability is way too poor for Liverpool to challenge the top 3.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #40: Jan 05, 2011 12:18:41 pm
      Poulsen - Everyone else can comment for me on this one!

Konchesky - As above.

Jones - Would much rather have a younger lad as back up to be honest.

Kuyt - Love the lad and his effort but I just don't think he offers enough anymore. At his age too, this summer could represent the last chance to sell him for decent money.

Babel - Just get rid of him. He's missed his chance here.

Skrtel - Just don't think he's developing well enough anymore. If someone like Mertesacker is available then buy him, sell Skrtel and have Mertesacker, Agger, Sotis and Ayala/Wilson as our centre halves.

Carragher - Getting on a bit now and no way is he the defender he once was. Too much power too and I can quite easily see a new manager selling him straight away.

Then I'd say players like Jovanovic and Cole need more time to prove to us whether they are worth keeping or not.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #41: Jan 05, 2011 12:23:40 pm
      From back to front;

Jones - really don't see what he's doing that our youth keeper can't do apart from picking up more money for doing it.

Johnson - Kelly is the better defender and Johnson is one of the few players who could fetch a seven figure price tag.

Skrtel - shown up many times this season to be an average defender.

Konchesky - lad doesn't cut it at Liverpool.

Aurelio - don't rate him and his injury record goes against him. Recall Insua, still have Agger, Wilson, Carragher and Robinson to fill at left back as well as possibly signing one - ideally Ste Warnock.

Kuyt - hard work is great, has to do more.

Spearing - I still like Jay, but he's never gonna make it here. Might as well get shut.

Poulsen - waste of space who won't make it as a top quality player at the club.

Babel - the lad isn't as good as he or anybody else who thinks he has this raw untapped talent is.

Jovanovich - doesn't look like he's anything special in my eyes.

Cole - never been impressed by him, poor man's Garcia truth be told.

Maxi - he's a squad player at best and there's better squad players we could have than him.

Ngog - like him, think he has a knack for scoring when in the box but he's not gonna be of the standard required for Liverpool.

By the way, I'm not saying we should sell every one on that list but I wouldn't be broken hearted if any on the list where to be sold.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011 12:50:47 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 05, 2011 12:30:23 pm
      We must keep Lucas. Looking at it another way, if he continues to improve at his current rate in 2 years he could be world class (queue the laughter). He is completely unrecognisable from 2 seasons ago. In fact I used to work with someone who was so bad at his job we called him Lucas; couldn't do that now cos they would think they were pretty good now!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #43: Jan 05, 2011 12:32:16 pm
      I just don't understand how the owner thinks, keeps loaning out Aquilini doesn't make sense. He cost us a whopping 20 mil, we loan him out, ok Juventus takes care of the weekly wages but we are still sitting on 20 mil not generating anything for the club? If we don't need him anymore just sell him for say 12 mil, at least we can use the funds to get a useful winger in.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #44: Jan 05, 2011 12:32:43 pm
      We must keep Lucas. Looking at it another way, if he continues to improve at his current rate in 2 years he could be world class (queue the laughter). He is completely unrecognisable from 2 seasons ago. In fact I used to work with someone who was so bad at his job we called him Lucas; couldn't do that now cos they would think they were pretty good now!

;D thats a quality analogy :)

I just think if he was going to develop he would have done, and we need someone now rather than 2 years down the line, if he was happy to be loaned out or a bit part player then fine, but i cant see that happening.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #45: Jan 05, 2011 12:33:30 pm
      I just don't understand how the owner thinks, keeps loaning out Aquilini doesn't make sense. He cost us a whopping 20 mil, we loan him out, ok Juventus takes care of the weekly wages but we are still sitting on 20 mil not generating anything for the club? If we don't need him anymore just sell him for say 12 mil, at least we can use the funds to get a useful winger in.

There might have been a clause saying we cannot recall him. With a reported fee agreed, that is most likely the case.

Quick Reply