Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Roy and Rafa - Points comparison

Read 4741 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Roy and Rafa - Points comparison
      Reply #23: Dec 06, 2010 11:27:06 am
      Its a shame Rafa dosent get the credit for basically fighting the boards plans to strip us of decent players to service the debt.He did so at great expense to himself and had he just gone with the flow he owuld still be here now.
      Roy is Roy he is a Fulham Manager no expectations means its easy to shine but now under the spotlight he is failing in every department.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #24: Dec 06, 2010 11:29:10 am
      RoF isn't exactly comparing the performances of Roy Hodgson and Rafa Benitez over the last few seasons.

I think the reason he started this thread is to show how much of Fulham are starting to become based on Roy's previous performances at Craven Cottage. What Fulham used to get is what we are getting now and that very much shows our standards have dropped even more under Roy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #25: Dec 06, 2010 11:57:39 am
      RoF isn't exactly comparing the performances of Roy Hodgson and Rafa Benitez over the last few seasons.

I think the reason he started this thread is to show how much of Fulham are starting to become based on Roy's previous performances at Craven Cottage. What Fulham used to get is what we are getting now and that very much shows our standards have dropped even more under Roy.
      Of course my post was questioning the posters assertion that Rafa was in any way to blame for the clubs current predicament.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #26: Dec 06, 2010 12:09:17 pm
      Its a shame Rafa dosent get the credit for basically fighting the boards plans to strip us of decent players to service the debt.He did so at great expense to himself and had he just gone with the flow he owuld still be here now.
      Roy is Roy he is a Fulham Manager no expectations means its easy to shine but now under the spotlight he is failing in every department.

Is correct mate if he were to have prostituted himself and his ideals he would still be here, his departure was the catalyst for the tide of protest from the supporters which gathered pace.
      More soberingly if Rafa had played ball with H&G and all that entailed they also might still be with us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #27: Dec 06, 2010 01:30:04 pm

Which is why the majority of the fans have seen through the media and gobs***e fans who wanted him gone and could see Rafa was fighting for US.

Would Woy do the same, would he F**k?
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #28: Dec 06, 2010 11:26:56 pm
      In another post  I have said that given the limitations within which he was working, RB's achievements, particularly the CL success were all the more amazing because of this fact.

However, in my opinion, last season's squad was good enough to have achieved a top 4 position and ultimately RB must IMO take a degree of responsibility for what was a very disappointing league position.

Failure to get a CL spot makes player recruitment and retention a more difficult task and that is why I believe that RB is in a small way culpable.  It is only my opinion, but if people disagree that's fine but please don't put words into my mouth :
      Stuey - I did not say that RB was "instrumental" - all I said was that he was responsible to a certain degree and I have outlined why above.

As for the away stats, for me the worrying part would not solely be the lack of wins, but the lack of attacking intent.  The best away performance in the league this year by a country mile was at Spurs where I felt that LFC actually tried to win, rather than hoping to win.  If this approach is continued, I'm sure the away stats will improve and I hope that they do so.

Overall, I just think that to compare RH and RB at this stage statistically is meaningless given the small sample size.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2010 04:12:33 am
      Exactally and you can't polish a turd!

You can if it's fossilized, now can anyone think of someone whose a fossilized old turd?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #30: Dec 07, 2010 09:02:35 am
      In another post  I have said that given the limitations within which he was working, RB's achievements, particularly the CL success were all the more amazing because of this fact.

However, in my opinion, last season's squad was good enough to have achieved a top 4 position and ultimately RB must IMO take a degree of responsibility for what was a very disappointing league position.

Failure to get a CL spot makes player recruitment and retention a more difficult task and that is why I believe that RB is in a small way culpable.  It is only my opinion, but if people disagree that's fine but please don't put words into my mouth :
      Stuey - I did not say that RB was "instrumental" - all I said was that he was responsible to a certain degree and I have outlined why above.

As for the away stats, for me the worrying part would not solely be the lack of wins, but the lack of attacking intent.  The best away performance in the league this year by a country mile was at Spurs where I felt that LFC actually tried to win, rather than hoping to win.  If this approach is continued, I'm sure the away stats will improve and I hope that they do so.

Overall, I just think that to compare RH and RB at this stage statistically is meaningless given the small sample size.
      Understand perfectly were you're coming from mate and perhaps the word instrumental was open to interpretation and implied a greater role than you indicated. However to put it another way I fail to see why the apparent less successful season before he left affected anything after his departure.
      He did have an achievement to live up to and the expectation bar had been raised to an unrealistic level after the CL unbridled ecstasy, his last season was plagued with injuries and admitted he had some questionable signings to answer for.
      This less productive period was seized upon by the enemies of LFC and used as a club with which to beat Rafa into submission and eventually dispense with his services, our performance and status since his departure make the less productive periods of Rafa's tenure seem a lot better.  
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2010 03:05:24 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #31: Dec 07, 2010 09:08:46 am
      You can if it's fossilized, now can anyone think of someone whose a fossilized old turd?
      F**k that Stu hanging around waiting for a piece of sh*t to fossilize just so you can polish it...sound's like manUre's 5th European cup and best team in England aspirations.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #32: Dec 07, 2010 12:29:10 pm
      F**k that Stu hanging around waiting for a piece of sh*t to fossilize just so you can polish it...sound's like manUre's 5th European cup and best team in England aspirations.
      Not long to wait Stuey, he's showing the signs now! But that's still to long.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #33: Dec 07, 2010 02:16:13 pm
       It's a strange one this. On the one hand people accuse Hodgson of "thinking he is still managing Fulham" because of a perception that he is happy with the way things are, whilst on the other they use the fact that we had a better record than Fulham as conclusive proof that Roy is out of his depth.

Similarly, it's apparantly Roys fault that we are "turning into Fulham". This is despite the fact that as Fulham manager he steered them into seventh the season before last (the spot we snatched off them last season), and last season took them into the Europa Cup final after we'd been beaten in the semi's. I suppose you could argue that Roy is partially responsible for the fact that Fulhams achievements have been similar to ours over the last few seasons, but it's hardly his "fault" I don't think.

And here we sit now in eighth place is it, with some winnable matches coming up and looking ever more likely to finish in the same spot as last season or higher. THAT is the comparison which ought to be the criteria. It was pointless replacing Rafa if the new bloke didn't improve us from seventh, and if Roy doesn't he should be gone at the end of the season. Even sixth behind Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Spurs might not be enough, despite the latter two obviously being much better teams than last season. Nor should it, as Liverpool fans we have every right to be ambitious.

No for me, Roy has to do much better than his predessessor in order to be considered a success. It's high time we won a trophy again, it's high time we reached a Wembley final, and despite the squad being threadbare in places we really ought to be able to at least make a challenge for fourth.

Roys record at Fulham though in comparison to Benitez's record at Liverpool is a complete irrelevence. You may as well compare Roy's record at Liverpool, with a team which finished seventh in the league, to Benitez's record at the all conquering Inter Milan.

Despite a lengthly absentee list, Hodgson is doing what it says on the tin and should be supported. He is a decent manager doing a decent job, no more and no less. Time will tell whether or not that proves to be enough.   
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #34: Dec 07, 2010 02:33:01 pm
           ^    ^    ^
      Excellent post mate and some of the points raised are not up for debate.
      I would take issue with your closing statement with reference to RH being given more time and a fair crack of the whip.
      First off he was appointed by the previous discredited administration to carry out their agenda which is light years short of what the mass of supporters have come to expect of the institution that is LFC.
      He has done nothing to make anyone think he can exceed his mid table mindset and the good fortune he achieved with Fulham last year was acknowledged as being just that - a fluke.
      Fair play to the man, his managerial qualities are not in doubt but suited more to another club NOT ours.
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2010 02:42:26 pm by stuey »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2011 06:25:52 pm
      May I respectfully suggest today that a line is drawn under both of the above.

The King is back. Its really what we all wanted. We are as one behind Kenny. We move forward.

Ive nothing kind or nice to say about Hodgson.

I had nothing but respect for Rafa.

Time now to look forward and not through the Rear View Mirror.

Quick Reply