Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Andy Gray and Richard Keys caught in sexism slur during LFC game

Read 36210 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Andy Gray and Richard Keys caught in sexism slur during LFC game
      Reply #207: Jan 26, 2011 03:23:54 pm
      I'm on about Keys. I expressed it wrong.

he should not be sacked!

OK,

But yes he should. Most of my Points about Grey also go for Keys.

He had 3 options.
      1 Take the actions that he did.
      2 Disagree
      3 Shut up.

He choose poorly.

Because we all deserve a second chance.

Not everyone. As I said. It is not the first time he has made sexist comments On AIR, heavens knows what is says in Private.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #208: Jan 26, 2011 03:28:55 pm
      What a bunch of over sensitive touchy little so and so's you are.....

Be careful what you say boys you never know who's listening.....If this story riles you then you need to see the bigger picture...
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #209: Jan 26, 2011 03:29:43 pm
      Probably the worst thing about this whole incident is whether or not Massey will continue to officiate or not now. It may deter females from taking the career path in the future in fear of such comments.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #210: Jan 26, 2011 03:33:36 pm
      Probably the worst thing about this whole incident is whether or not Massey will continue to officiate or not now. It may deter females from taking the career path in the future in fear of such comments.

Doubt it, we're stronger and better than that LL, I heard the FA switchboard was jammed on Monday with females making enquiries about becoming football officials  ;D

Red Horizon, I assume your not female ?  :roll:

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #211: Jan 26, 2011 03:35:27 pm
      If it provides incentive to prove people wrong, all the better :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #212: Jan 26, 2011 03:35:49 pm

Be careful what you say boys you never know who's listening.....If this story riles you then you need to see the bigger picture...

What the F**k are you on about?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #213: Jan 26, 2011 03:43:22 pm

I think I agree. It's been blown out of all proportion!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #214: Jan 26, 2011 04:12:42 pm
      I honestly think a fine would have sufficed.

He holds a job which has a position of high visibilty to the public and his behaviour when on camera should reflect this. If you work in the media don't start spouting sh*t in front of the cameras if they're 'rolling' or not unless you think you're so high & mighty you'll never get caught.

You call for a fine as a suitable punishment. Did you think Babel deserved a £10,000 fine for photogate?

Keys offences are a lot worse that Babel nicking someone elses humour. If he keeps his job he should count himself lucky instead of coming out with sh*t like "with success comes envy" and "I'm not sure I can carry on without Andy". Even now he thinks he's a cut above the rest.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #215: Jan 26, 2011 04:19:45 pm

I work with a lot of women, and I know a lot of them are a damn site smarter than me.

Oy speak for yourself. xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      The point is it wasn't Banter was it.If it hadnt come to light nothing would have happend.I would hate to think someone was talking about my better half in those terms and i would also feel very sorry for them if she ever found out. ;D

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #216: Jan 26, 2011 04:21:16 pm
      This may be a controversial statement but I think this is the same as what Ron Atkinson done.

It was blantent discrimination and when you work in a high profile media job, you always run the risk that mics or other equipment might be left on.

Saying something down the pub with the lads is all well and good cos its just havin the craic and you dont nesseserily mean it. Saying it live on an interndtional broadcast to a very wide audience is totally different.

Andy Gray got what was coming to him.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #217: Jan 26, 2011 04:23:52 pm
      I always say these things in private.

I know a Chelsea fan who is a girl and I always tell her she knows nothing because she is a girl ad should stick to girl stuff.

She knows i'm having banter. Do you actually think Gray meant girls dont understand the offside rule? Do you think he is that thick!

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #218: Jan 26, 2011 04:28:09 pm
      Ya but saying it to your friends is grand if they know your only joking. I know loads of girls that dont know the offside rule but are more than willing just to join in on our convos.

saying it in private and public are totally different things.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #219: Jan 26, 2011 04:30:00 pm

I know a Chelsea fan who is a girl and I always tell her she knows nothing because she is a girl ad should stick to girl stuff.

She knows I'm having banter. Do you actually think Gray meant girls dont understand the offside rule? Do you think he is that thick!

There's nothing wrong with banter, i don't mind banter. Its the way he said it that made me think he wasn't joking, plus all these other youtube videos don't exactly help. He got what he deserved.

And yes i do think he is that thick!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #220: Jan 26, 2011 04:35:20 pm
      Fucks sake Glynn, have you watched and listened to those videos? He is indeed that F***ing thick and his opinion is that women are nothing more than objects when it comes to football.

Wait until you have a decent relationship with a woman and then tell me you still think that's okay to say in the work place. That was no private conversation, he was at work. It's a stupid opinion to have.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #221: Jan 26, 2011 05:12:53 pm
      I am glad they sacked him, but I dont like him.

On the linesman subject...
      ...those in glass houses n all that.....all the blokes that have commented on this subject, saying how awful it is etc are hypocrits.....we are ALL guilty of saying things like this and if you say you arent I am going to call you a liar.

The other incident, asking the woman to help with his mocrophone, is a different thing completely, that is unnacceptable. Thats not having a laugh, its making the woman fell uncomfortable in a place where she shouldnt have to put up with that sh*t. She doesnt go to work expecting some knobhead to talk to her like that, and she shouldnt have to put up with it. If someione said that to my wife when she was at work I would smack him in the mouth.

@bigvYNWA, I am a bit confused cause you seem to be angry with glynn for what he said and I think he was talking about the remarks about women not understanding the offside rule...personally I dont think that is anywhere near as bad as what AG said in the microphone incident.

Btw, I have a decent relationship with a woman [I suppose being married counts] and the wife doesnt understand the offside rule. :)
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #222: Jan 26, 2011 05:14:52 pm
      Keys is rumoured to be resigning within the hour.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #223: Jan 26, 2011 05:22:03 pm
      We of course have all said it - banter in conversations with mates, and joking of course. Listen to them - do they sound like they are joking? Twice he says it as well, before the incident has even happened then again when it happens. You can tell that he is seriously holding the belief that there should not be a woman out there. And then the microphone incident is just plain stupidity - he is at work for fucks sake, does anyone actually believe they could get away with that at work?

Too many people are blurring the lines between banter with mates at home, and professional behavior at work. And even more so, actual opinions. I make jokes (occasionally) but am very careful who i say it around. I would only ever say it when im with close mates and then i would be laughing as well after, because i am joking. These guys were not laughing, they were seriously condemning her due to her gender.

What are you confused about? I don't like Glynns opinion on the matter, and yes it annoys me. Not saying i don't like him, think he's a good lad, just think he doesn't understand the situation very well.

My partner of a couple years hardly understands the rule either - but then i know plenty of men that don't either! Some of my best mates back in Australia would not even know where to start in explaining the offside rule, and i have met people in England who don't have a clue either. It's nothing to do with gender, but Gray and Keys both were seriously discussing incompetence based on gender - that is seriously wrong.

Stop blurring the lines people. They were at work, and were not joking. Totally different than a joke with a beer and mates.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #224: Jan 26, 2011 05:31:37 pm
      I do think its wrong but I think an official apology, a hefty fine would have sufficed.

Its not as if he tried to make her look bad or Sky. He thought it was a private conversation.

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #225: Jan 26, 2011 05:39:04 pm

She knows I'm having banter. Do you actually think Gray meant girls dont understand the offside rule? Do you think he is that thick!
      YES.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #226: Jan 26, 2011 07:01:12 pm
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #227: Jan 26, 2011 07:04:02 pm
      This may be a controversial statement but I think this is the same as what Ron Atkinson done.

It was blantent discrimination and when you work in a high profile media job, you always run the risk that mics or other equipment might be left on.

Saying something down the pub with the lads is all well and good cos its just havin the craic and you dont nesseserily mean it. Saying it live on an interndtional broadcast to a very wide audience is totally different.

Andy Gray got what was coming to him.

This ^

If you doubt it, substitute any racial slur, and it immediately becomes a lot more sinister..., as in:
      "What the F**k is that (ethnicminority) doing on the line?

(Ethnic minority's) don't know the F***ing offside rule"

It's no different from Atkinson - and it may even be worse, because there is obviously a culture of this at sly sports, no doubt driven by the monkey, and his erm, monkey...
      LFCexiled
      Reply #228: Jan 26, 2011 07:17:08 pm
      What's the betting that they drop the 'Georgie Thompsons box' skit from Soccer AM on Saturday?

All change at Sly Sports.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #229: Jan 26, 2011 07:27:52 pm
      Richard Keys resigns from Sky Sports after sexism storm

Richard Keys' resignation came after he tried on radio to quell the 'firestorm' which has also seen Andy Gray sacked

Go look see.........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/26/richard-keys-resigns-sky-sports

Quick Reply