Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

What is our priority this summer?

Read 7475 times
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Re: What is our priority this summer?
      Reply #46: Mar 01, 2011 10:19:40 am
      My priorities would be first and foremost would be to offer the job to KK full time along with Steve Clarke. We then need to get our CEO in place to look after the clubs interests. We also need to see where we are with either a new stadium or staying at Anfield and re developing . The stadium issue is important if we are to have revenue to invest in the squad.

We also need to tie down some of our players at the soonest possible moment. There are still doubts as to wether Riena, Johnson,Agger and yes possibly Gerrards heads will be turned by clubs offering CL football next season. If we do loose some or all of these players then obviously they need to be replaced or if they stay we can then build along with these players.

Some of the squad will need to be trimmed with quality players to come in line with how the manager wants to set up formations and tactics. A mass exodus would not do us any favours IMO as new players need to gel in but if we are to bring in quality we need to act quick and none of this last minute crap as we,ve seen in the past so thery can have a good pre season under thier belt.

Left back needs to be seriously addressed as a priority. Maybe a left winger another attacker and a quality midfielder.

Players to ship out would be Jovanovic, Poulson and Maxi.
      Players to bring in would be N,zogbia, Enrique, Gervinho and Yann M,Villa.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #47: Mar 01, 2011 07:01:21 pm
      1) Kenny and Clarke on long-term contracts.

2) A summer of good, non-wasteful transfers. If it's a small number, so be it.

3) Make way for the youth and reserves players to make the step up.

4) Send 11 flaming bags of dog poo to Old Trafford, one for each c**t in the starting lineup  ;D
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #48: Mar 02, 2011 12:09:19 am
      Personally, I'd like to see Kenny handed a LONG TERM deal -
       and build the old boot room back up.
      Then on to the squad... A Mass cull is needed, a complete rebuild...
      Your thoughts?

I agree with handing Kenny a permanent deal. 2,3,4... years, I dont care, but make it permanent. Even if we lose every game the rest of the season I'd still want him on a permanent deal. The club desperately needs someone in charge who knows the Liverpool way in and out, on and off the pitch. Who he should add and remove from the coaching staff I'll leave up to the man himself. He knows who he works with best and who is best for the team and club.

With regards to the squad:
      1) I have never been a big fan of major clean-outs.
      - 10 players in and 10 players out is a major shake up and there are all sorts of risks it will destabilize the squad with too many changes. Also I often find the necessity for these huge changes exaggerated. I much rather have 4 new first teamers and 2 youngsters coming in, while 5 fringe players are sold and some current first teamers are relegated to squad-player status. Do that two-three seasons in a row and you have on hell of a team. Try to enforce those changes during one summer and you may end up with a disaster.

2) I think that for a lot of the players its too early to decide on their future.
      - For example some say N'gog should be off in the summer. IMHO, that completely depends on how Suarez and Carroll perform until the summer. We are all high on Suarez right now, but maybe he just had a few good games and will slump into mediocrity. And Carroll may turn out to be an average player who had a good half season in the PL. We dont know yet. If Suarez and Carroll kick ass from now and until the summer, then maybe N'gog as a young 3rd or 4th choice striker will be fine and we should maybe look for an experienced PL-striker for extra cover. If Suarez or Carrol or both turn out to be crap, then we need to reassess our whole attack and N'gog's role in that shake-up I cant predict.

A few things can be said at this point and a few players future can already be decided IMO.
      - Aurelio: Sorry, but its game over. Too injury prone at an advanced age. Rafa saw the writing on the wall but Roy didnt and brought him back. This season has been no different to his last 2-3 seasons. Some times solid left back, most of the time injured.
      - Poulsen: I generally dont want to judge anyone on his performances under Roy, but I've followed Poulsen for many years due to our shared nationality and I have never rated him. He has improved under Kenny, but still, just not good enough.

The following is general priorities for the team IMO.
      Defence: TBH, its a mess! We have very good defenders, but we havent had a consistent back-four for years. When Pepe was picking up golden gloves for fun we didnt have the best defenders in the league but we had a pretty consistent back-four: Finnan-Carra-Sami-Riise. Riise could be a liability defensively and Sami was loosing pace but the most important thing was that those 4 could play together. The situation now? Tons of questions. Is Carra old and done or is he back in top form for good? Is Agger going to continue being injured on and off? Is Skrtel sh*te or is he only having a sh*te season? Is Kelly (impressive as he has been) going to continue being good or is he a new Insua, starting off well and the turning into a disaster? Is Johnson a right or left back? Is he a defender at all? All these questions need to be answered and all the the defenders at the club have until June to prove to Kenny that they belong here. This will decide the look of our defence and the destiny of the returning Degen and Insua. Priority should be to establish a consistent back-four.

Central midfield: Looks pretty good. Mereiles is an attacking midfielder. Gerrard and Lucas are more all-round midfielders. So as mentioned, Poulsen out and a good defensive midfielder brought in. Shelvey is young and good back-up. Only problem is the Aquilani "headache" as it has so fittingly been named. If Mereiles will keep scoring and playing well until the summer, then cash in on Aquilani. If he doesnt then its a hard one for Kenny.

Wide areas: We have Cole/Maxi/Kuyt/Jova who are all not-wingers/not-strikers/not-AM's/not-forwards/not-anything. These kind of players can be usefull, the in-between-the-lines players. But we need OUT-and-OUT WINGERS. Not that they are the solution to everyhting, but we need the option of out-and-out wingers badly! If I were Kenny I'd keep the two of these four who perform best until the summer and replace the two worst with real wingers.

Striking department: As mentioned, all depends on what Suarez and Carroll do from now and until the summer. If they score 10 goals each from now and until the summer, then this department is more or less fine.  

As I said, I dont want to judge players too much on their performances under Roy. Take Cole for example. He is supposed to be a creative winger/AM kind of player. Who's surprised he didnt flourish under Roy? Would anyone be surprised if he did 100 times as well under Kenny?

If everything goes well, we have 10 PL games left this season and 7 Europa league games under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish. These games should tell us a lot about who should stay and who should go.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2011 12:14:20 am by TotheMax »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #49: Mar 02, 2011 12:59:46 am
      I think we need at least one wide man. Someone that will create some width and swing some crosses in. A strong DCM in the mould of M'Vila. A left back. A centre back. Possibly another forward if Kenny wants to play 4-3-3. I'd be delighted if we could get two or three £15million men in and three or four £10million men in, whilst getting rid of the deadwood.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #50: Mar 02, 2011 02:57:29 am
      Well, we need reinforcements in many areas. Centre back, left back, central midfield and on the flanks.

We need two wingers because right now we have none.

A left back because we don't have one.

A midfield destroyer because we don't have one.

A top centre back because Skrtel is sh*t.

I don't mind a cull because there are some players who just have to leave. Degen, El Zhar, Jovanovich, Konchesky, Poulsen and N'Gog (sorry lad).
      sarbz
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts |
      Reply #51: Mar 02, 2011 03:37:13 am
      ToTheMax: Excellent post mate, you talk a lot of sense. Normally I just skim long posts but you pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything you said and I think alot of people on here share your thoughts. I just hope the Anfield coaching/recruiting staff think along similar lines.

I really think if we can get one awesome out'n'out winger who can deliver good crosses we can realistically target Champions League again. We are too narrow and too predictable right now.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #52: Mar 02, 2011 12:28:08 pm
      we need 6 players urgently.

a left back, two wingers, a forward, a centre half, and a centre mid. This defensive midfielder sh*te is aload of bollocks to me. We just need a centre mid who can play footy but is disciplined and will allow stevie to push on.

Id go all out and try and sign baines. Left back is the main priority for me and he is probably the current best left back in the country. Chances are probably close to impossible but if there was any slight possibility of that deal happening then id go for it.

Two wingers is again another massive priority. we have no width or pace in our squad anywhere. Ashley young and N'zogbia would be my shout. Both would do a great job for us IMO.

We need a striker adding to Carroll, Suarez and Kuyt. Would love to see either defoe or lopez here. Obviously both would cost money though and as weve forked out 50m already on the two mentioned above then maybe spending another 20-30m on another striker is unrealistic. Im not completely confident that suarez and carroll will be the most fearfull attack force in the country or in europe though.

A centre half is needed but we could get away with it for another season or two. Carra has lost his legs a little and needs replacing sooner rather than later. Badstuber would be a great signing.

Same for centre mid. Its needed but we could just about get away with it for another season or so if we wanted. Like carra, gerrard will need replacing sooner rather than later (even though i feel hes got a couple of seasons in him yet) but with gerrard lucas and meireles we could just about manage. Charlie Adam could be a shout though, hes proven this year hes a very very good player. If aqua can prove his fitness though he could still be our man.

If any clubs are F***ing dumb and soft enough to sign some of the sh*te we have here then lets do it ASAP.  Theres about ten which have all been mentioned that need to go.

Finally, id like to see insua given another go. Last season he had a nightmare but in the title chasing season the lad was immense. I have no idea at all how hes got on this season, i don't take an interest in sh*te football really, but id like to give him another pop.

Reina

Johnson     Badstuber   Agger    Baines

N'zogbia     Gerrard      Meireles     Young

Carroll       Suarez

Quick Reply