Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Why We'll Beat Spurs For 5th - Touch Wood

Read 16553 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Why We'll Beat Spurs For 5th - Touch Wood
      May 05, 2011 12:04:58 pm
      Liverpool V Tottenham: 5 Reasons Reds Can Win Race for Europa League Place

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/685187-liverpool-v-tottenham-5-reasons-reds-can-win-race-for-europa-league-place

By Thomas Atzenhoffer (Contributor) on May 1, 2011

Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
      With another weekend in the books, and another stumble by Harry Redknapp's charges, the pressure continues to mount on Tottenham to hold off Liverpool for the fifth place Europa League spot in the English Premier League.

In their last 10 matches, the Spurs have managed to take only 14 of a possible 30 points, and they have only one win in the last eight of those matches. Hard fought efforts against Arsenal and West Brom in the last two weeks just still have not been enough to produce victories.

Liverpool have collected 20 points from their previously possible 30 points and have managed to achieve victories over Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City, all teams in the top four of the table this season.

Despite a hard fought match against Chelsea on Saturday, the Spurs just can't seem to catch a break, and they just keep coming up slightly short at every turn. Their run of bad form and bad luck continues to leave the door open for Kenny Dalglish and his men, and this weekend, they continued to take full advantage.

Sunday morning's inspired victory over Newcastle United continued to show that the Reds mean business about qualifying for Europe next season as they climbed past Tottenham into fifth place thanks to their goal differential being far superior.

Though many have doubted that Liverpool could make it back up the table in time to even think of European competition next season, they are proving that perseverance pays off. Spurs still hold a game in hand advantage, but there are still many reasons to believe that the Reds can slip past their counterparts and nab the final European qualifying spot for England.

5. Youthful Inspiration

Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
      Is there another club in the English Premier League that can be as proud of their young players this season as Liverpool? I didn't think so.

Since Dalglish took the reigns in January, he has thrust the Reds youth into the spotlight, and they have shined like few before them. Most of the selections were due to a devastating run of injuries that the Reds have been dealing with all season and due to particular positions being massively under qualified.

Until his injury against West Ham United just over a month ago, Martin Kelly was showing his ability as perhaps a young player of the season for the Reds as he took over as the first choice right back.

John Flanagan and Jack Robinson have performed admirably every time they have stepped onto the pitch for their manager.

Aside from Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing has been a blessing in disguise in the absence of Captain Steven Gerrard due to injury for the rest of the season. His partnership with in the middle with Lucas Leiva, whom has been arguably the Reds best player all season, is growing every week, and his confidence continues to grow as he asserts himself.

The youthful inspiration of the Reds has been phenomenal, and whether it is a case of luck, class or kids performing beyond their own selves, it goes without saying that the youth system at Liverpool is alive and well for the future of the Merseyside club.

4. The Run-in    

Despite Tottenham having a game in hand on the Reds, it truly doesn't give them an advantage. They could earn nine points out of their next 12 and still not be able to overcome the Reds now that they are level on points.

Four games remain for the Lillywhites and in order include Blackpool at home, Manchester City away, Liverpool away, and Birmingham home.

Manchester City is their game in hand whom, despite their up and down form, are formidable when they are on their game. They were flat against Liverpool, but that defeat sparked a three game winning streak that included an FA Cup Semi-Final victory over Manchester United.

That game in hand is right in the middle of a seven day span which sees them face relegation battling Blackpool, Champions League place battling Man City and then Europa League charging Liverpool over the course of nine days.

Those two games before Liverpool run the risk of more wear and tear on the Tottenham players whom will face a rested Reds squad when they step onto the pitch at Anfield in front of a roaring Kop.

The Run-in advantage is all Reds at the moment despite being a game ahead.

3. Goal Differential    

The Reds currently sit in fifth place thanks to a plus-15 goal differential. Tottenham are only sitting on a plus-seven, and it will be an uphill battle to rectify that with only four games to go, especially giving their competition.

Liverpool built a lot of that differential in the last two games as they demolished Carling Cup Champion's Birmingham City at Anfield 5-0 last weekend, and just this morning took Newcastle United to the cleaners 3-0.

Tottenham have scored 10 goals in their last four games, but have conceded nine. If they are going to earn back the chance to win on anything but points earned, they need to start moping up at the back.

Spurs will hope to take advantage of Birmingham City on the last day of their season, but by then, it may be too little too late, and the Blues might have something left to say about it, as they will want to finish their year of trophy success on a high note and would love to put a damper on Spurs chances of another season in Europe.

2. Luis Suarez and Dirk Kuyt

When Fernando Torres was sold to Chelsea, many Liverpool fans thought the season was over; on the contrary, it was only just beginning. The sell of El Nino has been the biggest blessing in disguise for the Reds all season.

The arrival of Luis Suarez was believed to have the chance of producing results when he got a fresh start next season, but he didn't plan on waiting. The Uruguayan scored on his debut against Stoke City and is yet to look back.

His spark, pace and all out goal hunting attitude has been what was missing from the front lines for the Reds, and his marauding runs and relentless energy has allowed not only himself, but Dirk Kuyt to flourish.

Suarez has collected three goals and three assists in nine games as a Red, and since his arrival, Kuyt has banged in eight goals, including penalties against Arsenal and Newcastle, and also racked up three assists.

It was only fitting that the penalty he scored Sunday was won by Suarez, which shows just how much these two have contributed in the last three months.

Also as a side note, the contribution of Lucas Leiva in the midfield has been stellar all season, as he has bossed the center of the park with the best of them. His performances without the support of Steven Gerrard to partner for many games this season has still been outstanding.

1. Kenny Dalglish    

Alex Livesey/Getty Images
      No truer have the words, "bringin sexy back" been applied accurately to a situation. Roy Hodgson was is a good manager, and his achievements with Fulham were great, as have been those since his installment as the new boss at West Brom. However, he was not the right manager for Liverpool, because the Reds deserve a great manager.

Kenny Dalglish is a great manager, as he proved with Liverpool, Blackburn and Newcastle during the 1980's and 1990's. He is one of only five managers to have won the English Premier League since its creation in 1993. He also won it with the least prestigious club of the four that have won it in that time, Blackburn Rovers in 1995.

Since his return appointment to the Anfield hot seat, he has truly brought back the swagger and spirit of Liverpool football club. His system has led to team to 10 victories, five draws and only five losses during his 20 games in charge. After a year and a half of complete disarray at the club, Dalglish has helped to right the ship thanks to the support of the club's new owners.

His leadership has brought the Reds out of exile in the bottom half of the table to a chance of qualifying for Europe. Not only has he changed the program at Anfield, he has brought the team together, and amongst constant bemoaning that the players just aren't good enough, he keeps getting results.

Despite injuries, let downs and set backs, he has continued to face each game as it comes in true Liverpool footballing tradition. His love of the club and his will to win could literally will the Reds to hold onto fifth place and a Europa League birth.

Whether the Reds gain European football or not, John W. Henry and Fenway Sports Group would be absolutely mad not to give Dalglish the full time job as manager of Liverpool. If there is any number one reason why the Reds can hold on to fifth place, that reason is in the heart and soul of their current leader.
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2011 12:10:13 pm by racerx34 »
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Why We'll Beat Spurs For 5th - Touch Wood
      Reply #1: May 05, 2011 12:12:30 pm
      With us facing Spurs in the run in, the saying "Its our to lose" has never been so applicable.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: May 05, 2011 12:14:59 pm
      It's in our hands...

;)
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #3: May 05, 2011 12:20:49 pm
      Told my mates at the start of the season that Spurs are a one season wonder and that's proven to be right. I'm not even thinking about finishing 6th now, 5th is ours.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: May 05, 2011 12:25:51 pm
      With us facing Spurs in the run in, the saying "Its our to lose" has never been so applicable.

They can say the same though, if they win all 4 of their games 5th is theirs.

But I agree with this thread, we will do it !
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: May 05, 2011 12:26:04 pm
      Loving that last bolded paragraph - nice one Racer  :gt-happyup:

Even more remarkable considering our position at Christmas time and relegation was all the pundits could gloat over....this is one hell of a punch in the throat for them.

We're on the way back lads.....wow !! how good does it feel to say that and mean it too.

The game at Anfield on the 15th is gonna be a cracker  :scarf:
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #6: May 05, 2011 12:26:11 pm
      Ours to lose, and lose we won't!

Can't wait for next season  ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: May 05, 2011 12:27:33 pm
      Loving that last bolded paragraph - nice one Racer  :gt-happyup:

Even more remarkable considering our position at Christmas time and relegation was all the pundits could gloat over....this is one hell of a punch in the throat for them.

We're on the way back lads.....wow !! how good does it feel to say that and mean it too.

The game at Anfield on the 15th is gonna be a cracker  :scarf:

Damn right Cas.

He's bringing sexy back :laugh:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: May 05, 2011 12:32:01 pm
      Damn right Cas.

He's bringing sexy back :laugh:

Too right hun....is Xabi coming back then  ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: May 05, 2011 12:39:01 pm
      Too right hun....is Xabi coming back then  ;)

No :(
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #10: May 05, 2011 12:45:41 pm
      We will get 5th.

I cannot contain my excitement for next season.

Buzzing to see who we get this summer too.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #11: May 05, 2011 12:46:17 pm
      I said a few months back that although Spuds have a few good players, they rely heavily on 'Arry's motivational skills. I said that if a couple of results went against them, they would lose confidence and falter.
      Looks like I was right this time, their heads have dropped and they're a shadow of the team they were mid-season.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #12: May 05, 2011 12:51:27 pm
      The slide seemed to start after they got booted out of the CL.

Given some of Redknapps recent negative comments I'd say the ball is firmly in our court. He's a manager who manages his players with a lot of confidence building, recently he's made negative comments about the fans and players so I'd say all is not rosy in the spuds camp.

On the flip side of the coin, our dressing room's like a bloody holiday camp. :D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #13: May 05, 2011 12:52:30 pm
      I said a few months back that although Spuds have a few good players, they rely heavily on 'Arry's motivational skills. I said that if a couple of results went against them, they would lose confidence and falter.
      Looks like I was right this time, their heads have dropped and they're a shadow of the team they were mid-season.

I shouldn't have bothered typing mine really, a simple quote would've done.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #14: May 05, 2011 01:24:24 pm

This. I would love a display a-la 1978 to really rub it in that they are a 1 season wonder ;D

reckon Anfield will be booming aswell if the weather is good ;D  :scarf: ;D  :scarf: ;D
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #15: May 05, 2011 02:16:41 pm
      Even though I think we should be able to pull all 3 points off of Spuds at Anfield, I would still like to see Blackpool and City take some points off of them this week to release a bit of the pressure.  Don't forget, we have recently dropped points against West Ham and West Brom, so it wouldn't be unheard of for us to drop a few more points in the run in. 

I'm being cautiously optimistic about playing in the Europa League next season, but we still have a few more hurdles before we can claim to have won that race. 

On a brighter note, the Europa League will be a great opportunity for us to continue to bring more youth into the first team next season!  Hopefully we can win our remaining 3 games and finish the year off with a bang!  YNWA
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #16: May 05, 2011 02:23:23 pm
      This next game away to Fulham is HUGE for us as we could easily drop points there.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #17: May 05, 2011 02:59:35 pm
      True, but we have scraped through there with 3 points, thanks to Yossi in 08/09 if my memory serves me correct. They way mark hughes has them playing at the moment, they will give us a run for our money, BUT i expect we will come away from London with 3 points.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #18: May 05, 2011 03:07:07 pm
      Loved the article, and I am so excited, after all we've been through I feel a bit scared to say things are looking good, and our future is bright, so for just in case knocking on every wooden damn thing I have in the house :)
      Come on mighty Reds lets do it, like we best know how  :scarf: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: May 05, 2011 03:25:25 pm
      Is that record, 10-5-5, including the Europa and FA Cup?

Edit: Just answered my own question. We are 9-3-3 in the Premiership since Kenny took over. Based on pure math genius (  :P ), A full season outlay of that form would see us at 76 points on the nose after 38. Last year that would have been good for 3rd. Just shows the remarkable improvement since Kenny brought sexy back to Anfield.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #20: May 05, 2011 04:18:33 pm
      5th really?

Oh yes i can hardly wait for another season in the Most exciting European competition that is the Europa league how my heart is sent into flutter with the mere mention of such notable European opponents Like...KC Rabotnicki or Utrect(worst game in history) how i revelled in the amazing atmospheres created at such games....And i just loved having to go to the games just in case we got to the final and i'd have a chance of getting a ticket.

We were lamentable away from home in this competition this season and the last and not much better at home,lets save ourselves for what really matters i'm sure Kenny won't be losing any sleep over missing out on this or Harry for that matter...

Anyone agree?

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #21: May 05, 2011 04:31:42 pm

Probably not.
      Getting into Europe at any level makes the club a more attractive proposition to potential signings, regardless of your opinion of the competition. Plus it's one more competition where we may have the opportunity to blood young players.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #22: May 05, 2011 04:37:16 pm
      5th really?

Oh yes I can hardly wait for another season in the Most exciting European competition that is the Europa league how my heart is sent into flutter with the mere mention of such notable European opponents Like...KC Rabotnicki or Utrect(worst game in history) how I revelled in the amazing atmospheres created at such games....And I just loved having to go to the games just in case we got to the final and I'd have a chance of getting a ticket.

We were lamentable away from home in this competition this season and the last and not much better at home,lets save ourselves for what really matters I'm sure Kenny won't be losing any sleep over missing out on this or Harry for that matter...

Anyone agree?

yep

Quick Reply