Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Smoking cessation via Champix. A diary. (Packing in)

Read 27330 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Smoking cessation via Champix. A diary. (Packing in)
      Reply #184: Mar 20, 2012 01:14:37 am

or you could simply have asked your doctor for mebeverin or and oemeprozole and that  would have sorted the acid. i  speak  from experience.
      try it mate, if it doesnt  work  for you go back on the fags.

good luck in what  ever you decide to  do.

I was maxed out on the prescription Cornish, I'd been on omeperazole then pantoprazole, buscopan and kolanticon gel and none of them touched it, 3 meds at once. Started smoking again and it's all gone.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #185: Mar 20, 2012 10:38:17 pm
      I was maxed out on the prescription Cornish, I'd been on omeperazole then pantoprazole, buscopan and kolanticon gel and none of them touched it, 3 meds at once. Started smoking again and it's all gone.
      Sounds like it's probably stress related mate. Might be wise to see if the doc will give you something to chill you out a bit rather than trying (unsuccessfully) to go down the antacid route, although I don't get why you were prescribed Buscopan, unless you were getting stomach pains and/or cramps. I know when I packed in that even after three months of being off the cigs, I still felt like I could choke the living sh*t out of someone. Only when I succumbed and had that first ciggie did all the stress immediately lift from me and I relaxed for the first time in those three months and the world seemed a much happier and chilled place. It is one complete b***ard of an addiction, it really is.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #186: Mar 20, 2012 10:49:57 pm
      Sounds like it's probably stress related mate. Might be wise to see if the doc will give you something to chill you out a bit rather than trying (unsuccessfully) to go down the antacid route, although I don't get why you were prescribed Buscopan, unless you were getting stomach pains and/or cramps. I know when I packed in that even after three months of being off the cigs, I still felt like I could choke the living sh*t out of someone. Only when I succumbed and had that first ciggie did all the stress immediately lift from me and I relaxed for the first time in those three months and the world seemed a much happier and chilled place. It is one complete b***ard of an addiction, it really is.

Cheers Dave, I know you've got your own troubles. The buscopan was because the acid was jumping into my mouth and lungs when I was asleep and my lungs would shut down and I couldn't breathe for like 30 seconds or so, properly scary and terrified the missus getting woken up by me not able to get breath. The buscopan apparently was supposed to make my throat contract to stop the acid going up but it didn't work.

The be all and end all for me is what racer said, the weight and stress are far worse for me than the smoking cos for less than a tenner a week I'm stress free, I've got zero acid and my missus isn't getting woken up by some fat naked b***ard running around at 4am barking like a dog cos he can't breathe.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #187: Mar 20, 2012 11:18:54 pm
      The added weight you've put on will also cause you to experience acid reflux, age is a factor too. I speak from knowledge and experience  :(

As you say mate, whatever is working for you works and you need to do what you have to, that's completely understandable.

However, should you wish to give packing in another try sometime, see if the doc will prescribe you something like Tamazepam as this may combat the added stress and therefore reduce the amount of excess stomach acid you are producing, which to me sounds like that's what is causing you to produce too much acid. Might work, might not but, I think it would definitely be a route worth considering should you have another go in the future, as the antacid approach isn't working. Attack the problem at the source as opposed to trying to relieve the symptoms.

Best of luck anyway mate.

Going to get my ass back down the doc soon myself and give it another go. Although I've been saying that for a few weeks now.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #188: Mar 21, 2012 03:09:05 pm
      Just a note or reminder to myself, quit on the 4th of February.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #189: Mar 22, 2012 06:02:46 pm
      The added weight you've put on will also cause you to experience acid reflux, age is a factor too. I speak from knowledge and experience  :(

As you say mate, whatever is working for you works and you need to do what you have to, that's completely understandable.

However, should you wish to give packing in another try sometime, see if the doc will prescribe you something like Tamazepam as this may combat the added stress and therefore reduce the amount of excess stomach acid you are producing, which to me sounds like that's what is causing you to produce too much acid. Might work, might not but, I think it would definitely be a route worth considering should you have another go in the future, as the antacid approach isn't working. Attack the problem at the source as opposed to trying to relieve the symptoms.

Best of luck anyway mate.

Going to get my ass back down the doc soon myself and give it another go. Although I've been saying that for a few weeks now.

Cheers again Dave, I'll bear that in mind if or when I decide to pack in again. ;)
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #190: Oct 27, 2012 06:27:58 pm
      I've given up as of today.

My doctor wouldn't prescribe me Champix or Zyban, so I'm on patches and gum.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #191: Oct 27, 2012 06:32:02 pm
      I've given up as of today.

My doctor wouldn't prescribe me Champix or Zyban, so I'm on patches and gum.
      All the best mate, you will do it!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #192: Oct 27, 2012 06:35:00 pm
      Good for you H2H, gave up about 14 years ago and never turned back, my mrs tries to give up all the time but them damn things have a bigger hold on women it seems, best of luck to you mate.

Wont give you any tips because I think it's very much down to the individual what works for them, just don't make excuses like "I'll just have this one..", I think being honest with yourself is something a lot of quitters struggle with without really noticing.

Keep us posted fella!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #193: Oct 27, 2012 06:40:08 pm
      All the best mate, you will do it!

Good for you H2H, gave up about 14 years ago and never turned back, my mrs tries to give up all the time but them damn things have a bigger hold on women it seems, best of luck to you mate.

Wont give you any tips because I think it's very much down to the individual what works for them, just don't make excuses like "I'll just have this one..", I think being honest with yourself is something a lot of quitters struggle with without really noticing.

Keep us posted fella!

Cheers lads.  ;)

Luke, I agree about the temptation of just having one. That won't do me any good at all.

I posted here because I think it will help me to be more determined. I decided a few weeks back to give up, so I've had some time to prepare mentally which I think should help.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #194: Oct 27, 2012 06:59:45 pm
      Good luck HTH.  Hope you do it!

I gave up successfully for several years (back on them now like, but that's a different story).  I used gum and I really wanted to give up.  Think that was crucial.  I also avoided things that I used to associate with having a ciggy, like going the pub (those were the days!), etc for a while.

One thing a mate of mine did when he gave up was to write how much he saved per day in his diary.  That helped him quite a bit, and he'd treat himself every now and again with what he saved.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #195: Oct 27, 2012 07:12:05 pm
      Good luck HTH.  Hope you do it!

I gave up successfully for several years (back on them now like, but that's a different story).  I used gum and I really wanted to give up.  Think that was crucial.  I also avoided things that I used to associate with having a ciggy, like going the pub (those were the days!), etc for a while.

One thing a mate of mine did when he gave up was to write how much he saved per day in his diary.  That helped him quite a bit, and he'd treat himself every now and again with what he saved.

Cheers Lyn.

I think that's the key to giving up - you've got to want to stop. If your heart's not in it properly then the temptation to start smoking again will be greater. That's what I have been telling myself leading up to today.

I agree about the treats thing with the money saved. I've already seen some things I wouldn't mind getting if I can stick it. The first treat I have planned is some new shoes after 2 weeks and a jumper after 4 weeks.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #196: Oct 28, 2012 12:43:58 am
      Good luck HTH, keep going, it will be so worth it in the end, just think with the money you save, you could go to Anfield  ;D
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #197: Oct 28, 2012 12:52:17 am
      Good luck HTH, keep going, it will be so worth it in the end, just think with the money you save, you could go to Anfield  ;D

Now, there's an idea.  ;)

Today has got harder as it's gone on. I am gagging for a smoke right now but I must resist.  :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #198: Oct 28, 2012 12:55:19 am
      Now, there's an idea.  ;)

Today has got harder as it's gone on. I am gagging for a smoke right now but I must resist.  :)

These first few days will be the hardest, keep strong and just keep telling yourself that you can do it, remind yourself how disgusting it is, gets in your hair and smells on your breath and make your clothes stink  :roll:

Remind yourself how much better you'll feel as well, healthier and richer !!! Surely thats gotta be an incentive !!!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #199: Oct 28, 2012 01:05:34 am
      These first few days will be the hardest, keep strong and just keep telling yourself that you can do it, remind yourself how disgusting it is, gets in your hair and smells on your breath and make your clothes stink  :roll:

Remind yourself how much better you'll feel as well, healthier and richer !!! Surely thats gotta be an incentive !!!

That's what I keep telling myself. Get the first few days out of the way and it will get a little bit easier.

I know that the taste of food improves quite quickly after stopping, so that's another thing to look forward to as well as feeling healthier and richer. ;)
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #200: Oct 28, 2012 07:06:45 pm
      Day 2:

Today's incompetent displays of refereeing aren't helping my cause but I'm holding up and resisting temptation. It's obviously early days but I'm discovering a pattern of it becoming harder and harder to resist a smoke as the day goes on. I was gagging last night in the early hours and felt quite light-headed, yet I was fine today when I woke up.

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #201: Oct 28, 2012 07:16:06 pm
      Day 2:

Today's incompetent displays of refereeing aren't helping my cause but I'm holding up and resisting temptation. It's obviously early days but I'm discovering a pattern of it becoming harder and harder to resist a smoke as the day goes on. I was gagging last night in the early hours and felt quite light-headed, yet I was fine today when I woke up.

Do you box?  Go and thump hell out of a punching bag, get your frustration out that way.  Don't let the F***ing corrupt FA put you off.

And well in on your effort so far!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #202: Oct 28, 2012 07:59:13 pm
      2 to 4 weeks and you'll have no real cravings at all mate. Might sound like a long time but it truthfully isn't for the benefits and it's all just a simple no, you're stronger than a dirty little inanimate stick. Let's be optimistic and say it's 2 weeks, you're nearly 20% of the way there already fella, or pessimistic close to 10%.

Good link so you'll know what you can expect to go through and monitor your progress http://www.imedwell.org/How-Long-Does-It-Take-for-Nicotine-to-Leave-Your-System.html

Be strong!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #203: Oct 28, 2012 08:17:11 pm
      Do you box?  Go and thump hell out of a punching bag, get your frustration out that way.  Don't let the F***ing corrupt FA put you off.

And well in on your effort so far!

I don't box but I wish I did.  ;) :laugh:
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #204: Oct 28, 2012 08:24:09 pm
      2 to 4 weeks and you'll have no real cravings at all mate. Might sound like a long time but it truthfully isn't for the benefits and it's all just a simple no, you're stronger than a dirty little inanimate stick. Let's be optimistic and say it's 2 weeks, you're nearly 20% of the way there already fella, or pessimistic close to 10%.

Good link so you'll know what you can expect to go through and monitor your progress http://www.imedwell.org/How-Long-Does-It-Take-for-Nicotine-to-Leave-Your-System.html

Be strong!

The time seems to really drag. I wish I could fast forward a couple of weeks, but I'll get there soon enough. ;)

I've been going for a walk around the block each time I've had a bad craving.

Thanks for the link - that's a good read and has encouraged me even more.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #205: Oct 28, 2012 08:39:57 pm
      4 months for me now, the Chantix worked but man what crazy dreams...like sitting eating my guts (that had spilled out in front of me) with a salad fork while carrying on a conversation.

Hang int here HTH, it gets better after a little while.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #206: Oct 28, 2012 08:47:08 pm
      Given up now for 2 years - my OH said any money I saved from not smoking I could use to replace all my golf stuff. I now have over £3000 worth of golf equipment and clothing - all bought with money that used to go on cigs. For anyone thinking of giving up then I highly recommend it - good for your health and your wallet - it will be the smartest move you will have made in your life.

Quick Reply