Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Expectations for The 2011/2012 Season

Read 31301 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Expectations for The 2011/2012 Season
      Reply #322: Jan 16, 2012 12:25:10 pm
      A top four finish and a trophy would do for me.

We've dropped too many points to talk about the league title.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #323: Jan 16, 2012 12:39:50 pm

To be honest fella, that seems about the best we can hope for at this stage. I would be more than happy with that from this stage. More than anything though I want us to win a trophy. It has been far to long since we have done so.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #324: Jan 16, 2012 12:49:39 pm
      4th is a big ask if we can't win our home games.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #325: Jan 16, 2012 01:29:19 pm

I would think that too. It was a big ask already to win the league. 4th would still be an improvement on recent seasons and would give us grounds for further improvement that summer too.

4th is a big ask if we can't win our home games.

Personally I think now the league is a 3 horse race for 1st and a 3 horse race for 4th, which we are in.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #326: Jan 16, 2012 01:41:49 pm
      Agree, and that's being harsh on Newcastle too, who have a great chance if they are still up there once Ba and Tiote come back from the ANC.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #327: Jan 16, 2012 02:20:53 pm
      Unless we get a striker in in this window we can forget about fourth place.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #328: Jan 16, 2012 07:19:20 pm

I woudln't say that. Were doing enough creating so it has to eventually result in goals. The other teaams are dropping enough points to keep us in there.

In saying that I wouldn't mind a signing or 2 of the forward variety coming in!!

As things stand I expect 4th and 2 cups in the bag come May
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #329: Jan 16, 2012 07:51:01 pm
      We were doing enough creating, but without Luis and Lucas in the side our pass and move play has moved down to a pedestrian pace, I'm surprised how much we may become to rely on Bellamy until Luis is back, can easily setting out for a draw against City in the cup. Still expect a cup and 4th though, once Luis is back he'll be fresh as a daisy and start tearing things up, even more hopeful if we can get some creative talent in before the end of the month.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #330: Jan 16, 2012 07:57:37 pm
      6th
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #331: Mar 06, 2012 08:03:32 pm
      Found this thread interesting reading. Peoples expectations at the start of the season not aspirations.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #332: Mar 06, 2012 08:09:24 pm
      Found this thread interesting reading. Peoples expectations at the start of the season not aspirations.

Peoples expectations change Corb.. Otherwise there would be no divorces for another example.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #333: Mar 06, 2012 08:41:50 pm
      Girls Girls Girls. Handbags down.

Prophetic?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #334: Mar 06, 2012 08:50:25 pm
      Girls Girls Girls. Handbags down.

Prophetic?

Wasn't intended like that I'm just saying that expectations change. What someone expects last summer can change. It's not set in stone.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #335: Mar 06, 2012 10:21:37 pm

Of course they do P_d. Anyone with even a tiny semblance of mental maturity can acknowledge that.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #336: Mar 06, 2012 10:21:42 pm
      We just need to stay focused...as KB pointed out no silly loses. Last year we "rose" to the occasion when playing top sides but were very mediocre against lower opposition. A champion in any sport always play's their peers tough and smashes lesser opponents. If we can do this then top 4 finish and a least 1 of the domestic cups.

So far I am feeling quite prophetic after looking at my original post, unfortunately we have not smashed lesser opponents, if we had we would be in top 4 right now.

Bigger joy in going back was seeing the posts by the likes of MickeyScouse and MacRed, ah tearful memories.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #337: Mar 06, 2012 10:36:29 pm
      As i said the posts dont lie. Expectations change um ya is it that hard to just say you were wrong
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #338: Mar 06, 2012 10:49:25 pm

As far as i'm concerned anyone who said thay thought we could win the title were being aspirational no matter how they dress it up! I'vre got a mate who says it every bloody season no matter how we got on the previous year. Most posters expected and hoped the club would get back into the Champions League positions and that seems unlikely to happen unfortunately. Hopefully a 2nd trip to Wembley might just take the edge of that disapointment though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #339: Mar 06, 2012 10:53:29 pm
      I agree mate every one has aspirations we will win it. I think some people get mixed up between that and expectations to be honest
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #340: Mar 06, 2012 10:58:11 pm
      I think if you look at the age of our team we can be optimistic about the next few years. Kenny will re-establish the work ethic and winning mentality. At the moment we are very hard to break down and creating a lot of chances. No wonder teams pay so much for strikers. This club has a history of producing homegrown super strikers. Hopefully one of these will show up soon. Hopefully that lad in the reserves , the new Robbie Fowler, will turn out to be the new Robbie Fowler. If we aren't going to make fourth, then maybe Shelvey, Coates and Sterling can get hurled into the team.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #341: Mar 07, 2012 03:48:22 am
      So far I am feeling quite prophetic after looking at my original post, unfortunately we have not smashed lesser opponents, if we had we would be in top 4 right now.

Bigger joy in going back was seeing the posts by the likes of MickeyScouse and MacRed, ah tearful memories.

interesting. like you said last season it felt like we rose to the occasion and did well against fellow big clubs, but struggled against medium clubs. now I feel like we set the standard against big clubs.. against the mancs, chelsea, arsenal.. we play on our terms.. we play like King Kenny's team representing the best club in the land. now we just have to do it consistently, remember we are Liverpool every week regardless of who the opposition is. they will always rise to the occasion when they play at anfield, but we have to rise above all that.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #342: Mar 07, 2012 07:31:01 am
      Expectations will change with every week that passes, every game that's played and every injury or suspension. I still believe that we can finish higher than 4th and challenge for the title but I understand, fully, why others don't.

I can see that everyone's expectations have changed, through time even those who said they expected "Top 4", I suspect. To hold those expectations up in a 'told you so' attempt to ridicule is quite pathetic at worst and childlike at best. Sadly it's par for the course.

I do believe however that the semi-literate in our midsts have confused "expectation" with "prediction". One is the act of looking forward or anticipating; the other an actual foretelling or prophecy. One is subject to change the other is set - thankfully most of us didn't predict anything.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2012 07:42:46 am by bad boy bubby »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #343: Mar 07, 2012 08:13:29 am
      The league will this season very quickly sort itself out I think. The top two will be the Manc clubs, and I very strongly expect Man Utd to stretch their lead in league titles over us to two. Chelsea will spend big before the end of the window, and I expect them to be third, but not close.

We will be in a dogfight for fourth along with Arsenal and Tottenham, and my hope is that we can come out on top. Kenny is doing a fantastic job IMHO rebuilding the club from top to bottom, but the best we can realitically hope for is a challenge NEXT season I think.
      Well as it turned out I wasn't so far wrong (although I badly hope that Citeh defy the other Mancs). I'm not sure what it proves though, and it seems like a "nah nah nahnah naaaah" kind of thing to bring it up really.

'Course, if someone had have told me we'd hit the post 20 odd times and miss six penalties as well getting our best player suspended for two months around christmas, my aspirations would have changed radically. Then, I would have said that winning a Cup and being even in with a shout for fourth was a massive effort.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #344: Mar 07, 2012 08:25:48 am
      As i said the posts dont lie. Expectations change um ya is it that hard to just say you were wrong

So that's the reason you bumped the thread?

You clearly got hacked off the other day because people weren't agreeing with you in another thread, so you've posted in this one to "prove" to "the majority" that they were wrong in hoping that we'd challenge strongly in the league this season?

I expect better from people on this forum. We (ideally) respect one another's opinions, without ridicule, and like Reds have historically done, support the team through the good and bad times.

What I don't and can't respect is bumping a thread in which a large proportion of the posts were made prior the summer transfer window closing last year, on the high on Kenny coming back and changing our fortunes in the league, with the sole intention of mocking those who thought we'd do well.

You claim to be a voice of reason, of realism. What is unrealistic about us continuing that good form and building on it with new signings? What is to be ridiculed?

I see no reason for you posting in this thread except for saying "I told you so", "I was right and you were wrong", one-upmanship at it's worst.

Sad, sad stuff.

Quick Reply