Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool 0-2 Spurs in game and post match annoyance

Read 47004 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 Spurs in game and post match annoyance
      Reply #759: May 16, 2011 04:16:54 pm
      I hate having a go at refs, usually I can chalk it up to honest mistakes and let it go.  Refs get a lot of unfair bashing, but after rewatching and mulling over the events yesterday, that was a piss poor performance by a referee of any standard.  In no way an excuse though because we, as a team, didnt show up at all.   
      Lukemeister
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      • Anything is possible
      Reply #760: May 16, 2011 04:38:22 pm
      Not our best performance yesterday but howard webb is definitely fergies rent boy, he gave spurs literally everything and us nothing.

Need to thrash villa next week.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #761: May 16, 2011 04:45:31 pm

The penny drops.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #762: May 16, 2011 05:03:13 pm
      I hate having a go at refs, usually I can chalk it up to honest mistakes and let it go.  Refs get a lot of unfair bashing, but after rewatching and mulling over the events yesterday, that was a piss poor performance by a referee of any standard.  In no way an excuse though because we, as a team, didnt show up at all.   

It's very true, we still didn't score a goal at the end of the day and really were not up to recent standards. Saying that, Spurs were certainly not 2 goals better than us in their performance. Their first was just one of those unfortunate things in football, but the 2nd was simply an inexcusable decision.

As you said, an all round sh*t performance by the ref - but not an excuse for our play.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #763: May 16, 2011 05:58:44 pm
      I think a draw would have been a fair result for us yesterday. I must admit though it was a brilliant goal by VDV but the second was just an inexcusable decision by the " Fergie Lover ". For me though we play a different game when Carroll is upfront and at the moment it does,nt do us any favours. I,m not knocking the lad but Carroll is more affective when hes got wingers crossing balls into the box for him and at the moment we dont have that luxury. So for that reason only i,d play Suarez and Kuyt for the next game as they seem to have more of a partnership at the mo. This last game of the season is still very important to those who want us in the Europa league. Myself it would not bother me one way or the other if we,re in or out.......just my opinion.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #764: May 16, 2011 06:05:36 pm
      A win meant we would have sealed a Europa League spot. Even a draw would probably put us in the driving seat.

I really don't enjoy watch Howard Webb ref our matches. He's so biased against us and almost every with a big team in it, he's usually the star of the match.

For us to qualify on the last day, we need a win or a draw would do as long as Spurs lose.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #765: May 16, 2011 06:23:08 pm
      Massive shame, really thought we'd have done these!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #766: May 16, 2011 06:23:42 pm
      I throw expletives all the time :D
      It's true, you should see my Facebook page  :lmao:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #767: May 16, 2011 06:32:37 pm
      Andy Carroll is a problem, coz he is clearly gifted, but can only play one way, which is a completely different way to Kenny's zippy fast on-the-floor passing. spurs werent that good we just had no ideas. problems

He was good enough to bury Man City... I personally disagree. I believe Andy Carroll will be an excellent front man for us. Just as when I stated way back before he even joined the club. He has so much potential and can offer us so much variety.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #768: May 16, 2011 06:34:57 pm
      Nice too see some knee-jerks in the wrong topic again.

First time i've been labelled as a knee-jerker but you are entitled to your opinion.

I'll admit to: i) Never disguising my dislike of 4-4-2 as we do not, in my opinion, have good enough 'wide' players to make it work (currently) and ii) Never disguising the fact that I care less about an individual player, his role or his personal performance than I do about how we perform as a team. - simply put; if the team plays well and wins; I couldn't give a F**k (really) about who's playing where.

For those who didn't read (or understand) the 'offending' post; I reckon, at the moment, our best 'formation' is the 4-3-3 which has been playing slick, one-touch football - Suarez, Kuyt and Maxi being the front three (with no place for Carroll).

Just an opinion really. ...chances are that I may be wrong; I often am.  ;D

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #769: May 16, 2011 06:39:11 pm
      Just voicing a differing opinion,nothing deliberate here...

I wonder who it was(me) who all season berated Torres only to receive dogs abuse for it.....they wouldn't listen.

And for the record,from where I was sitting it was bang on a pen but I've just watched it on MOTD and I'm 50/50 on it,Flanagan was caught on the wrong side of Pinearr and I could see why any ref would give it...

I really wish Webb hadn't been in charge then excuses would have had to sought else where...

Next time I'll only post my own comments on the game and never in reply to any one else's view...as they obviously have the advantage of a tv screen in front of them and a far greater footballing knowledge than me, where as I only have the real thing and it's so much better...(and no that wasn't a wind up)...

You need glasses mate. That was a simple shoulder barge all day long, and perfectly acceptable by the laws of the game. But then, Howard Webb is a law unto himself. Oh, and it was OUTSIDE the box, so how can it be a penalty?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #770: May 16, 2011 06:40:57 pm
      Haha, Lee Probert is the ref for the Villa game, brilliant.

Edit: Got confused between Probert and Mason, Probert is alright.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #771: May 16, 2011 06:45:38 pm
      And another thing. The technology is there to be used so that referees shouldn't have to make mistakes on a weekly basis. Why should teams be penalised by referees mistakes, just because the FA are so stuck in the past, they refuse to use the available technology? The FA are the main culprits here, that doesn't change the fact the Webb is incompetent though. Makes Klattenberg almost look good...
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #772: May 16, 2011 07:16:49 pm
      I was at the game yesterday and on reflection, I just feel like it was a nothing game. Can't remember anything in particular where we were very good, and for one reason or another we just didn't click.

All I really remember about the game was it constantly being out of play and being frustrated by Tottenhams time wasting.

Overall I reckon they deserved their win, but not in the manner they got it. Can't say anything about Webb that wasn't already sung yesterday or said since in this forum, disgraceful display once again. Pieneer or however you spell it to me fouled Flanagan with his left foot more than Flanagan fouled him for the penalty, and he somehow got away with two sliding tackles, one of which was from behind. Very unfair to Flanagan, he was probably our best player on the day. As the LFCTV commentator said, once again Howard Webb is the scurge of Liverpool. 5 minutes injury time was never enough either considering the amount of subs, time wasting and streaking that went on. Having said that even if we had had 10 minutes I'm not convinced we would have got there.

Aside from Webb Luka Modric was undeniably the difference between ourselves and Spurs, classy player, very rarely miscontrols and its hard to believe how any Spurs fans would pick Bale over him for player of the year if Modric has played like that all season.

As much as its an obvious thing to say, it was 'just one of those days'.

Draw a line, move on and improve next year.
      Well written post mate and sums yesterdays game up bob on.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #773: May 17, 2011 11:11:57 am
      Even if we lost, I can still see the insurgence and improvement from our lads. But what worries me is that we let them gained a bit of momentum and let them score. It's not that we're far inferior than them, but how we tend to lay back and let them controlled us in the early minutes suggested that we needed to put more aggressiveness into our games. Not that we're not that aggressive but there are times when we should get things done easily, we scrambled it. And that's need some working to be done if we want to regain our glory. From the kick-off till the final whistle it's should be attack and control, but that game showed us that we let them slipped through our hands. Not matter if it's Spurs or even Wolves, there shouldn't be any complacency and laid back attitude showed. We seemed desperate to score when being put under pressure and that's not how we should operate. As what Shankly has told us before, put the ball into the net and we'll discuss whatever f**king problem you have after that.

All knew what whenever it's Webb it mean trouble and that's what happened that day, but in whole our inability to crack open a tough defensive is what the real problem lies. We couldn't create any real opportunities and we only managed to get some half decent chances and no real damaging long shots. Apart from that, there's little movement in the 6 yard area. We tend to lost it without Gerrard or Meireles. Lucas is improving and so does Spearing but when it comes to making a good passing movement or decisive through balls or even creating that killer moves they lack of it. You got to have the intuition and the inspiration to be the one who can dictate the whole movement which Gerrard, Meireles or Alonso have. Lucas is a good improving midfielder but it's a long way for him to become at least as good as Meireles. The fate of the match depended on how our midfielders react to a certain kind of situation and react to it. Be able to change the flow and direction of the game depending on who we play against.

In whole we are moving towards the right direction. Let's forget Europe for once and focus on rebuilding our team back to it's former glory.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #774: May 17, 2011 11:28:03 am
      Bad day at the office but could be a blessing in disguise as John Henry & Tom Werner were both there to see we do need more quality players bringing in.

We have been over achieving since kenny came in with the players we have

Modric would be a great addition he was superb we couldn't get near him.

Great to see the players after the game with there kids & wifes especially Rauls mrs!!!
      Fit as F**k lad....
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1526 
      Reply #775: May 17, 2011 11:14:17 pm
      Webb is so obviously a manc fan, but where ever he refs, there is always a contraversial issue after the match. What does that result in ? Yes, Webb being talked about over and over again. He sure knows how to manipulate the media so he is the suject of all the aftermatch talk. Time he was thrown out in my opinion, and should have been after his woefull world cup final disgrace.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #776: May 18, 2011 03:16:35 pm
      I think he has got selective vision whenever he refereed our game. I'm not too worried, what goes round comes round.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #777: May 18, 2011 03:28:32 pm
      I'm amazed at the crap that people are coming out with concerning Andy Carroll.

Crap? Is it crap because you don't agree or is it actually crap? We have every right to ask questions of Carroll. I didn't rate him that highly at Newcsatle & I cant ever recall a Liverpool fan suggesting he would be a great signing for us or that he was a player on anyones wish list.

We then paid £35M for him & he was injured. When he has played, he has shown glimpses, but also some terrible football. When he hasnt played, has he been missed? I dont think so, we should never have spent that much on him.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #778: May 18, 2011 03:30:48 pm
      Webb is so obviously a manc fan, but where ever he refs, there is always a contraversial issue after the match. What does that result in ? Yes, Webb being talked about over and over again. He sure knows how to manipulate the media so he is the suject of all the aftermatch talk. Time he was thrown out in my opinion, and should have been after his woefull world cup final disgrace.

He's a good ref that like all other makes mistakes. Guess what? Players, managers & everyone involved in football makes mistakes to. Why do people think refs shouldnt make mistakes. Do you ever make mistakes at work?

As far as the World cup final goes - that was FIFA that choose him & they did so for a reason. He is very highly rated as a ref world wide. That game was very hard to ref as well, he did a good job.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #779: May 18, 2011 03:38:40 pm
      Crap? Is it crap because you don't agree or is it actually crap? We have every right to ask questions of Carroll.

You could stop being a moaning b***ard and give him time to settle in to the club and time to settle into the way we play.

F***ing hell I think we need to give players more than say three or four months before we and I quote "start asking questions of Carroll."

He's a good ref that like all other makes mistakes. Guess what? Players, managers & everyone involved in football makes mistakes to. Why do people think refs shouldnt make mistakes. Do you ever make mistakes at work?

As far as the World cup final goes - that was FIFA that choose him & they did so for a reason. He is very highly rated as a ref world wide. That game was very hard to ref as well, he did a good job.

No he's not a good ref, Webb is an attrocious ref who has hand many a bad game according to some gullible reds, while the majority of us think he is a manc loving, South Yorkshire bizzee serving c**t of THE highest order that let the world Cup final turn into what it became, littered with free-kicks and fouls and he failed to give a red card for the most blatant of fouls.

Just my opinion of course....

MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #780: May 18, 2011 03:59:15 pm
      You could stop being a moaning b***ard and give him time to settle in to the club and time to settle into the way we play.

F***ing hell I think we need to give players more than say three or four months before we and I quote "start asking questions of Carroll."

No he's not a good ref, Webb is an attrocious ref who has hand many a bad game according to some gullible reds, while the majority of us think he is a manc loving, South Yorkshire bizzee serving c**t of THE highest order that let the world Cup final turn into what it became, littered with free-kicks and fouls and he failed to give a red card for the most blatant of fouls.

Just my opinion of course....

I am not moaning, I am offering an opinion. Its not something I bleet on about or raise myself either, it was a simple reply to someone elses point. Look at waht I said, the basis of it is the fee & if we have missed him when he hasnt been playing. It was without doubt too much money to spend on him. Did you rate him that highly before we brought him? Was he a player you chated about with fellow fans in the hope that one day, you never know we might just be able to smash our club record fee and sign?

I just think refs on the whole get a raw deal & the blame for others shortcommings. Yes they make mistakes just like everyone else in the game. Its fans listening to managers saying they only lost the game because of the ref thats half the problem

As for the WCF - who really was to blame? The ref or the players?
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2011 04:26:44 pm by MickeyScouse »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #781: May 18, 2011 04:33:43 pm
      Webb is a F***ing sh*te ref. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to go along with Webb to a specs shop and buy the best pair they can. Every game i watch he makes some atrocious decisions, ones i don't see others make on anywhere near the same regularity.

Quick Reply