Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)

Read 16151 times
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)
      Reply #69: May 24, 2011 05:55:42 pm
      Cuducini just signed a contract extension at Spurs so that probably rules them out.

No. It doesn't. Gomes is a goner, Friedel will be their starting keeper next season from what I've been hearing!
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #70: May 24, 2011 06:07:37 pm
      Friedel will be an excellent backup keeper for a year or two, and will allow us to loan out Gulasci to pick up some first team exp in the championship.  Brad will also be a phenomenal mentor for the other young keepers at the club.  I'd venture to say that Pepe might even be able to learn some things from him, and grow more as a player because of it!  I think this could be a very astute signing for us.

if we sign him, this is the perfect explanation. Add in his help in scouting/developing/recruiting young Americans? and for me any American at Liverpool is awesome
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #71: May 24, 2011 06:10:09 pm
      I think it's with a view to him becoming a coach mate.

Yes ive read that since I posted as well as a story that he is bankrupt and will be happy to act as number 2 as he just want a good contract to provide for his family? .

Anyway if he arrives I would be happy to have him back
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #72: May 24, 2011 07:48:43 pm
      yes defo went bankrupt ,an will make a great no2 maybe a coach after 2 year deal
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #73: May 24, 2011 08:37:59 pm
      I'm not sure how true this is but I heard that Brad went bankrupt during the season,

That's a story in itself if true luis. How the hell could a footballer playing in the top league over the last 10 or so years go bankrupt?

Very strange unless it is some business deal that wiped out his money.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #74: May 24, 2011 08:40:45 pm
      That's a story in itself if true luis. How the hell could a footballer playing in the top league over the last 10 or so years go bankrupt?

Very strange unless it is some business deal that wiped out his money.

I believe it was a business deal. Debt was around 5 million pounds. This is an excerpt from the article about it:

"Premier Soccer Academies was planned as a residential soccer academy on Leavitt Road and opened in 2007. It offered full year-round scholarships to athletes ages 12 to 18, the first of its kind in the country. However, the $11 million soccer facility depended on business sponsorships that dried up as the national economy stalled."
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #75: May 24, 2011 08:43:02 pm
      Wow bankrupt poor fecker,would like him here beside Pepe great for the acadamy.Come on home Brad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #76: May 24, 2011 08:43:33 pm
      Makes sense then.  

Will take the best deal going then money wise and if that means sitting on our bench then he won't mind especially if the coaching role is true.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #77: May 24, 2011 08:53:49 pm
      No. It doesn't. Gomes is a goner, Friedel will be their starting keeper next season from what I've been hearing!
      Mate, your 'hearing' that on twitter.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #78: May 24, 2011 08:58:51 pm
      Mate, your 'hearing' that on twitter.

I'm mates with Jen, if that's what you're referring too. :D

I like how anytime 'hearing' or 'heard' is mentioned on these boards everyone has to say something! :D
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #79: May 24, 2011 09:37:47 pm
      Yeah I saw Jen retweet that, still reckon Friedel's coming here though, makes sense.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #80: May 25, 2011 06:41:08 am
      Like him as a person so that's enough for me to want this to happen. Would be great for the young lads and indeed Pepe himself.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #81: May 25, 2011 09:15:57 am
      Great signing, should make a good coach too. Consistently one of the best in the prem year in year out.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #82: May 26, 2011 08:47:07 am
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #83: May 26, 2011 05:13:41 pm

Liverpool and Tottenham in race to sign Brad Friedel

By John Curtis, PA
      Thursday, 26 May 2011

Liverpool are facing competition from Tottenham in the bid to sign Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel, Press Association Sport understands.

Friedel has emerged as a target for Spurs manager Harry Redknapp, who is looking for a new goalkeeper after the up and down form of Heurelho Gomes last season.

It is a difficult decision for the 39-year-old Friedel, who is now out of contract at Villa although they are also keen to retain his services.

Friedel is only likely to be offered a one-year deal by Redknapp, who will seek a long term replacement for Gomes, but there is the lure of being first choice.

He is keen to add to his all-time record of 275 successive appearances in the Barclays Premier League.

Liverpool are offering a two-year contract - and a coaching role - but Friedel, who lives in Cheshire, will only be number two to Pepe Reina.

West Brom are also interested but they are well down the pecking order with Friedel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-and-tottenham-in-race-to-sign-brad-friedel-2289383.html
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #84: May 26, 2011 05:15:17 pm
      I think he'll go to Spuds, guarenteed football and I still think he's got a bit left in him. Love to see him at LFC though, as a player and coach role.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #85: May 30, 2011 12:45:49 am
      Apparently he's going to sign for Spurs for first team football.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #86: May 30, 2011 12:47:16 am
      Yeah, apparently a nailed on Spuds player next year.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #87: May 30, 2011 12:47:46 am
      Apparently he's going to sign for Spurs for first team football.

That's fair enough, I've no objection against him doing that.

Good guy, superb 'keeper. Still gutted for him when he got that red card against us during that 5-0 win in '09.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #88: May 30, 2011 12:49:32 am
      That's fair enough, I've no objection against him doing that.

Me neither mate I've always had respect for Friedel.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #89: May 30, 2011 01:14:46 am
      He looked pretty good doing comentary for the Champs League final on Fox haha
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #90: May 30, 2011 05:22:57 am
      Yeah he did. His hybrid English/American accent was funny too :D
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #91: May 30, 2011 11:16:46 pm

Friedel to replace Gomes in Spurs side

Published 23:01 30/05/11
      By Alan Nixon

Veteran keeper Brad Friedel will sign for Tottenham - and go straight into Harry Redknapp's side at the grand old age of 40.

The American star is going to take up a dream two-year contract at White Hart Lane, despite the chance of a similar deal with Liverpool, because it gives him a greater opportunity to play.

Spurs will have a vacancy for Friedel, who was offered a one-year extension by Aston Villa and turned down an approach from West Brom, because Redknapp wants to offload error-ridden Heurelho Gomes.

Friedel has been stunned by the amount of interest in him and took his time to go through the options. Tottenham are getting his vote because of the whole package on offer, as well as the opportunity to stay at the top.

Kenny Dalglish wanted to take Friedel back to Anfield, where he was a player from 1997-2000, but it would have meant only a handful of games and the eventual chance to do some coaching.

Friedel, who turned 40 on the last day of the Premier League season, has stayed fit and thinks he can carry on at the best level possible - even if it means moving from the midlands to London.

With almost 450 games at the top in England under his belt, Friedel could reach 500 appearances if he avoids injury over the next two seasons.

Redknapp has gone for Friedel because he wants a steady hand after Gomes' displays.

He already has Carlo Cudicini as cover and will use the cash raised by selling the Brazilian on other areas of the side.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tottenham-transfer-news-Brad-Friedel-will-sign-for-Spurs-and-go-straight-into-side-as-club-plan-to-sell-Heurelho-Gomes-article742970.html

Quick Reply