Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)

Read 16201 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)
      Reply #46: May 24, 2011 08:39:31 am
      Someone mentioned to me on Twitter that Friedel has academies in the US. Surely Dalglish and FSG would like an opportunity to browse the talents he has on offer.

Not sure how accurate that is, but a win win for both parties, you would think?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #47: May 24, 2011 09:49:48 am
      Surprised by this, Reina never misses games so why are we signing Friedel because all he will do is sit on the bench for 2 years
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #48: May 24, 2011 09:52:35 am
      I have heard that the deal offered is a 1 year player, and a 1 year player coach deal.

Pepe rates Friedel highly, and Friedel has made no secret of wanting to go into coaching
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #49: May 24, 2011 10:12:02 am
      Agreed - and yet amazingly, some have him in their "worst Liverpool" team.
      I was quite stunned to see that, couldn't work it out.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,628 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #50: May 24, 2011 10:25:17 am
      Would be good for Reina to have someone training alongside him with experience rather than always teaching the young lads.
      I wouldn't see any other reason for the signing than what he brings to the role for playing/coaching that was mentioned earlier.
      A tie in with his academies would be beneficial for both parties too.
      Always liked him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,444 posts | 2843 
      Reply #51: May 24, 2011 10:47:04 am
      Maybe Pepe pushed this one through a bit?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #52: May 24, 2011 10:56:43 am

Brad Friedel set to snub contract offer in favour of Liverpool

by Mathew Kendrick, Birmingham Mail
          May 24 2011

VILLA’S veteran goalkeeper Brad Friedel is poised to snub the claret and blues’ offer of a new contract to rejoin former club Liverpool this summer.

Friedel’s current deal runs out next month and he is ready to reject a one year extension at Villa Park in favour of two years at Anfield.

The American stopper, who turned 40 last week, is expected to join Kenny Dalglish’s Reds as understudy to Spanish keeper Pepe Reina.

He has been No.1 throughout his three years at Villa, but the claret and blues are unable to give him assurances he will be first choice next season.

Villa plan a complete overhaul of their goalkeeping department during the close season with fellow USA keeper Brad Guzan also set to leave.

The length of Liverpool’s contract offer and the proximity of Anfield and the Melwood training complex to his north west home are key factors.

Friedel, who kept a clean sheet on his 400th Premier League appearance in Sunday’s 1-0 win over Liverpool, endured a frustrating first spell on Merseyside.

Between 1997 and 2000 he provided occasional back-up to David James and Sander Westerveld before Gerard Houllier allowed him to join Blackburn on a free transfer.

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/05/24/aston-villa-brad-friedel-set-to-snub-contract-offer-in-favour-of-liverpool-97319-28750365/
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #53: May 24, 2011 10:57:03 am

Brad Friedel set for surprise Liverpool FC return

By Neil Jones
          May 24 2011

BRAD FRIEDEL is set to reject a new one-year deal at Aston Villa in order to complete a surprise return to Liverpool.

The American goalkeeper is out of contract at Villa Park this summer, and has been attracting interest from a host of Premier League clubs.

Tottenham and West Bromwich Albion have both made approaches for the 40-year-old, but Friedel is keen on a return to Anfield, and is close to agreeing a two-year contract as Kenny Dalglish looks to add an experienced back-up 'keeper to provide competition to first-choice Pepe Reina.

Australian Brad Jones, who spent the second half of the season on loan at Championship side Derby, is expected to leave the club this summer, while youngsters Peter Gulacsi and Martin Hansen are unlikely to be considered for extended first-team duty at this stage.

Friedel made 31 appearances for the Reds after joining the club from MLS side Columbus Crew in December 1997, but failed to establish himself as first choice, leaving the club to join Blackburn Rovers in November 2000.

He featured in Villa’s 1-0 win over the Reds on Sunday, setting a Premier League record with his 266th consecutive appearance, in what looks like being his final game for the Midlanders.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/24/brad-friedel-set-for-surprise-liverpool-fc-return-100252-28752568/
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,470 posts | 4591 
      Reply #54: May 24, 2011 10:57:33 am
      I have always admired friedel as a player and person & he is the kind of character pepe and the youngsters would love to have around, i hope he joins us.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #55: May 24, 2011 11:59:51 am
      Surprised by this, Reina never misses games so why are we signing Friedel because all he will do is sit on the bench for 2 years
      Maybe he's tired and has decided to retire and not play anymore, so he'll end his career at a club like Liverpool and then be a coach here. Not a bad idea. Would like to have such an experienced player here. Gulacsi can learn a lot from him if he stays, or he's free to go out on loan and get his own experience of the game as we've a 2nd choice.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #56: May 24, 2011 12:26:58 pm
      Would love for us to sign Friedel, was one of my favourite players when i was a little kid. Would be a very good 2nd choice, and if what people are signing (he will have a year as player and then move into a coaching role) is true then this would be a great signing.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #57: May 24, 2011 12:33:19 pm
      Someone mentioned to me on Twitter that Friedel has academies in the US. Surely Dalglish and FSG would like an opportunity to browse the talents he has on offer.

Not sure how accurate that is, but a win win for both parties, you would think?

If that's the case, it's a better move than it first appears, especially on the coaching side.

I always rated him as a keeper, and if he can help with the coaching, then great.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #58: May 24, 2011 12:33:26 pm
      I was quite stunned to see that, couldn't work it out.

Because regardless of his talent, when he played for us, he was sh*te!

Went off to Turkey and came back and seemed a better keeper.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #59: May 24, 2011 12:38:53 pm
      Think Brad's looking to the future and knows where he wants to start coaching! With us!

Excellent backup to have, even if Reina's injury record is pretty much pristine. So that's Jones out and Gulacsi sent on loan?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #60: May 24, 2011 12:44:15 pm
      Always rated him. If he's happy to be second choice to Reina, I don't mind having him here.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #61: May 24, 2011 12:56:53 pm
      I'm not sure how true this is but I heard that Brad went bankrupt during the season, and his wife I'd also expecting a child, so he is letting his head rule over his heart of choosing bench over playing time just for a bit of financial stability until he can start coaching.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #62: May 24, 2011 01:39:37 pm
      Even if that's true, I see it as mutually beneficial at worst.
      Bennett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      • 'Once a red, always a red'. YNWA!
      Reply #63: May 24, 2011 02:23:29 pm
      Friedel is still a top goal keeper even though he's knocking on. He would be a great backup for us. Also atm I think he's better than Gulasci and Jones. But I don't rate Jones at all, it was just another Woy Hodgson, waste of money signing. But I think Gulasci should go on loan to a Championship club, so he can get first team experience, and then when Friedel retires, he can be a coach and Gulasci can be permanent choice, if he's good enough.       
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #64: May 24, 2011 03:20:37 pm
      Big fan of Friedel. Quality backup if we are unlucky with Reina.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #65: May 24, 2011 03:25:50 pm
      Friedel will be an excellent backup keeper for a year or two, and will allow us to loan out Gulasci to pick up some first team exp in the championship.  Brad will also be a phenomenal mentor for the other young keepers at the club.  I'd venture to say that Pepe might even be able to learn some things from him, and grow more as a player because of it!  I think this could be a very astute signing for us.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #66: May 24, 2011 04:00:53 pm
      A good player, shame we won't see him much (could improve kit sales in USA?).
      This probably means the departure of Brad Jones, who was wasted on the bench for his age and the kind of money we bought him for.
      Friedel will be a good tutor for Gulacsi and a bunch of academy keepers.

Jones didn't even get on the bench after January.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #67: May 24, 2011 04:01:54 pm
      Dont get this one at all

A) Reina would clearly be 1st choice, why would Friedel go somewhere he wouldnt be first choice at his age?

B) His age...hes 40

C) It doesnt fit in with the supposed policy of FSG of buying young

In saying that if he's happy to cover Pepe Im happy to have him
      I think it's with a view to him becoming a coach mate.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #68: May 24, 2011 05:53:38 pm
      Cuducini just signed a contract extension at Spurs so that probably rules them out.

Quick Reply