Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would win in a fight?

Ra Ra Rafa
      (28.6%)
      Richobaz
      (14.3%)
      The Handbag
      (57.1%)

The spine of the Liverpool team

Read 12024 times
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Re: The spine of the Liverpool team
      Reply #23: Aug 22, 2007 02:14:43 pm
      I don't think you've got the point! Your confusing me and confusing yourself! I am now totally lost! Thanks mate!

I'll start again.. with the 'current' squad we have you start like this

.......................R eina
      ??.??......Carragher...??.??.......??.??
      ??.??.......Gerrard....??.??.......??.??
      ................??.??......Torres

They are the first on the teamsheet everyweek! They pick themselfs... and then Rafa should decide on who to pick in the remaining positions.

Reina - Has no competition! Carragher - Has no competition! Gerrard - Has no competition! Torres - Has no competition!

RB - Finnan vs Arbeloa.. I fancy Finnan most times, nearly the spine but the age might say otherwise!
      CB - Agger vs Hyypia - To say a young Agger has no competition from a legend is stupid
      LB - Riise vs Aurelio - Not much in these two, I've seen them rotated many times
      RM - Pennant vs Benayoun - Again not much in it, you won't see them play 50 games a season each
      DM - Mascherano vs Alonso - Its between these two for that DM role, they have competition between themselves
      LM - Babel vs Kewell - Injury prone vs new boy, they have to win a place in the team
      FW - Kuyt vs Voronin vs Crouch - These three have nothing on Torres in terms of ability, so they must battle it out!

Now I hope I've cleared things up!

I give up with you...sorry!

Reina is always picked as first choice Goalie - so he's spine
      Finnan is always picked as first choice RB - so he's spine
      Agger is always picked as first choice CB - so he's spine
      Carra is always picked as firsrt choice CB - so he's spine
      Gerrard (now) is picked as first choice CM - so he's spine
      Torres (for now) is picked as first choice CF - so he's spine

6 players currently out of our 11 are automatic choices.

It's end of!  Sorry.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #24: Aug 22, 2007 02:15:25 pm
      The spine of the team are the players you build your team around?

Reina
      Carra
      Stevie

I dont think anybody would count in the 'spine' at this point to be honest?........
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #25: Aug 22, 2007 02:30:56 pm
      The spine of the team are the players you build your team around?

Reina
      Carra
      Stevie

I dont think anybody would count in the 'spine' at this point to be honest?........

Yeh and you would also want to build the team around Torres like Atletico did. You don't really get more than 4 spine players
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 22, 2007 02:45:31 pm
      Yeah you may do, but I think its to early to put Torres in the spine of our team, In fairness you would probably say Kuyt (i'm not his biggest fan) is gonna play more than Torres (unless Torres does carry on playing as he's started) and then how could you leave him out!?

But i'd go for the 3 I mentioned before as the main spine/heartbeat of our team....
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Aug 22, 2007 02:49:30 pm
      I'd agree with Priesty that as things stand Reina, Carra & Gerrard are the spine of the team, however Torres does appear to have the potential to become part of that spine, and for the fee paid I would expect nothing less.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #28: Aug 22, 2007 02:50:49 pm
      I'd agree with Priesty that as things stand Reina, Carra & Gerrard are the spine of the team, however Torres does appear to have the potential to become part of that spine, and for the fee paid I would expect nothing less.

Exactly! About Torres.. don't forget the hype no no, don't forget the hype  :D
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #29: Aug 22, 2007 02:59:07 pm

Read what you've put there?

By what your saying we are a pretty S*it team, if only 3 players are the spine.

I don't want to mention the Chavs and Mancs - but there's is a hell of a lot more than that, which says a lot to me!

I disagree with what you are all saying about the spine.

My understanding is, first names on the sheet, week in week out - and that is Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Gerrard, Torres (for now).
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #30: Aug 22, 2007 03:01:27 pm

No I'm not saying we're a pretty sh*t team, I'm saying we've got a very good squad & other players can be rotated without this having a detrimental effect.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #31: Aug 22, 2007 03:03:22 pm
      He's not saying the team is sh*t.

Listen, just because seven of our other players are not untouchables does not mean the team is sh*t, it means we've got a very good squad, it means we've got competition!

And you build around the spine.. you can't build a team around 11 players can you!
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 22, 2007 03:14:41 pm
      Read what you've put there?

I don't want to mention the Chavs and Mancs - but there's is a hell of a lot more than that, which says a lot to me!

I disagree with what you are all saying about the spine.

My understanding is, first names on the sheet, week in week out - and that is Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Gerrard, Torres (for now).

Would Steve Finnan have a pain killer injection to play in a game? No he may want one but Rafa wouldnt give him one as Arbola could come in and do a job

Its Different for Stevie as he is our Best player and he plays pretty much whenever he can even when he maybe injured (he is that importnant!)! This would be the same for Carra (ie Everton last season) and Reina who is just as importnant to the Defence as Carra.

I dont understand why you think if there not in the spine of the team you think there not very good or what??

Torres will Probably be part of ours but i'm just saying its to early to say for sure (so were gonna have 4)

Chelsea Cech - Terry - Fat Frank - Drogba (4)

Man Utd Van Der Sar - Rio - Scholes - Ronaldo - Roony (5) (they play slightly differnt to us and Chelsea only because Ronaldo so thats why they have 5)

Arsenal Lehman - Kolo - Cesc - Gilberto (4) (Arsenal have a small squad so the experiance players they have are more importnant to them now)

Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #33: Aug 22, 2007 04:28:25 pm
      Would Steve Finnan have a pain killer injection to play in a game? No he may want one but Rafa wouldnt give him one as Arbola could come in and do a job

Its Different for Stevie as he is our Best player and he plays pretty much whenever he can even when he maybe injured (he is that importnant!)! This would be the same for Carra (ie Everton last season) and Reina who is just as importnant to the Defence as Carra.

I dont understand why you think if there not in the spine of the team you think there not very good or what??

Torres will Probably be part of ours but I'm just saying its to early to say for sure (so were gonna have 4)

Chelsea Cech - Terry - Fat Frank - Drogba (4)

Man Utd Van Der Sar - Rio - Scholes - Ronaldo - Roony (5) (they play slightly differnt to us and Chelsea only because Ronaldo so thats why they have 5)

Arsenal Lehman - Kolo - Cesc - Gilberto (4) (Arsenal have a small squad so the experiance players they have are more importnant to them now)

Wish I never went on this topic - as you're all being so narrow minded!:

Chavs (spine)
      Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Fat boy, Essien, Drogba = 7 players SPINE SPINE SPINE

Mancs (SPINE)

Van Sar, Neville (when fit), Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldo = 8 players SPINE SPINE SPINE

Last I'll say in this topic!

Believe me, we have more spine players than you lot think - but not as many as the above!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #34: Aug 22, 2007 04:32:42 pm
      Wish I never went on this topic - as you're all being so narrow minded!:

Chavs (spine)
      Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Fat boy, Essien, Drogba = 7 players SPINE SPINE SPINE

Mancs (SPINE)

Van Sar, Neville (when fit), Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldo = 8 players SPINE SPINE SPINE

Last I'll say in this topic!

Believe me, we have more spine players than you lot think - but not as many as the above!

Your starting to talk about key players not the spine players...

Just get your coat
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #35: Aug 22, 2007 04:35:39 pm
      Spine player / key players = What's the difference?

So if Carragher leaves tomorrow - Liverpool get relegated?

I just don't see what you're saying.

priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      Reply #36: Aug 22, 2007 04:41:50 pm
      I'd be very worried if we had 'spine' players in our team who were 33/34 (Giggs)

Cole is not a Spine player, he players more than Bridge but hes not the first name on Chelseas team by a long way!

Agree with Ra Ra on this, your goin on about players who are important to the team but thats it.
      (Every play is importnant but some more than others)

I will let you have Essian tho JM does seem to love him abit too much!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #37: Aug 22, 2007 04:42:13 pm
      Spine player / key players = What's the difference?

So if Carragher leaves tomorrow - Liverpool get relegated?

I just don't see what you're saying.

I thought you gave up debating!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #38: Aug 22, 2007 04:47:35 pm
      I'd be very worried if we had 'spine' players in our team who were 33/34 (Giggs)

Cole is not a Spine player, he players more than Bridge but hes not the first name on Chelseas team by a long way!

Agree with Ra Ra on this, your goin on about players who are important to the team but thats it.

I will let you have Essian tho JM does seem to love him abit too much!
      Priesty10 - I won't lose this one - as you're all wrong!

Ra Ra's argument was Torres cost £30 million, so he's must be the spine of the pool?  Do you agree with that?  If you do then let's look at the Chavs:

Shevchenko - £30
      Ballack - £20m
      Need I go on?

The spine of the team, is a team that picks itself. week in week out.

At this moment in time:

Reina, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard and Torres (for the time being) - pick themselves.

I'll bet with you that these players figure more this season than any of the others.

Arbeloa - will not take Finnan's place
      Hyppia - will not take Aggers place

Can't help myself - I'm one sicko!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #39: Aug 22, 2007 04:52:16 pm

Bit head strong claiming that everyone elses opinion is wrong! Opinions are not right or wrong, they're personal to each and every person so in fairness, what you're saying is that you disagree with everyone's opinions on this matter?

In my opinion, our spine is made up of Gerrard, Carragher and Reina! The rest of the team is chopped and changed according to the opposition, while Gerrard, Carragher and Reina are usually on the sheet with gaps for the other players.

For instance, weaker attacking teams would suggest that a creative midfielder is used and Hyypia could be brought in as an extra attacking option on corners. While Hyypia is a good defender, he lacks pace so Agger is brought in when the opposition have more creativity and the attack requires more attention and chasing.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #40: Aug 22, 2007 04:56:55 pm
      Bit head strong claiming that everyone elses opinion is wrong! Opinions are not right or wrong, they're personal to each and every person so in fairness, what you're saying is that you disagree with everyone's opinions on this matter?

In my opinion, our spine is made up of Gerrard, Carragher and Reina! The rest of the team is chopped and changed according to the opposition, while Gerrard, Carragher and Reina are usually on the sheet with gaps for the other players.

For instance, weaker attacking teams would suggest that a creative midfielder is used and Hyypia could be brought in as an extra attacking option on corners. While Hyypia is a good defender, he lacks pace so Agger is brought in when the opposition have more creativity and the attack requires more attention and chasing.
      Sorry if you do not like heated debates!  Forgot where I was for one minute...!

Believe me the spine of the team is not just 3 players.

Those may be are best players...but the spine, is the players you'd pick for the important games - without question.  The ones I've mentioned previously.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #41: Aug 22, 2007 05:00:09 pm
      Interesting thread and I see that some people have a different idea of what a spine actually is. It's the backbone of the team. Let me clarify: Pennant, Finnan and Agger are the arms and the legs.  Still important, but not the actual backbone.  ;D

Reina, Carra and Gerrard are the backbone imho.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #42: Aug 22, 2007 05:03:01 pm

Ra Ra's argument was Torres cost £30 million, so he's must be the spine of the pool?  Do you agree with that?  If you do then let's look at the Chavs:
      Shevchenko - £30
      Ballack - £20m
      Need I go on?

No I said Torres cost €30m not £30m
      Shevchenko cost £30m not £30
      Ballack was free

No please don't go on, your doing my head in!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #43: Aug 22, 2007 05:04:08 pm
      Sorry if you do not like heated debates!  Forgot where I was for one minute...!

Believe me the spine of the team is not just 3 players.

Those may be are best players...but the spine, is the players you'd pick for the important games - without question.  The ones I've mentioned previously.

A debate involves speaking of your opinions! You disagree but at the end of the day, no-one is wrong! ;)

Our important games? Weigh them up over the past few seasons! Have those players been on the team sheet as soon as the match came along?

For example, Mascherano was played in the CL Final in Athens because of Kaka's creativity! As soon as he was brought off, the whole game ran away from us! Just because it is an important match does not justify the choosing of certain players!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #44: Aug 22, 2007 05:04:47 pm
      Interesting thread and I see that some people have a different idea of what a spine actually is. It's the backbone of the team. Let me clarify: Pennant, Finnan and Agger are the arms and the legs.  Still important, but not the actual backbone.  ;D

Reina, Carra and Gerrard are the backbone imho.

Seems everyone has a different opinion to me on this - nothing new!

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #45: Aug 22, 2007 05:06:05 pm

Shevchenko - £30
      Ballack - £20m
      Need I go on?

When you look at Chelsea's spending though, those prices are nothing special compared to the rest of their squad.

Oh, and Ballack was signed on a free.

Quick Reply