Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 731255 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #6302: Nov 29, 2018 10:56:10 am
      I stated on another forum when it first happened and re-stated it here  many seasons later that when Kenny Dalglish took over and bought in his "Best of British" (C,Adam, Carroll, Downing and Henderson) that he had set us back five years...

I would like to admit that I was wrong and offer my apologies...

He has set up back even further. Henderson is still here
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #6303: Nov 29, 2018 11:05:11 am
      Of all our current midfielders, Henderson would attract the most interest from big clubs if he was available. Him and Keita. It's a measure of the one-eyedness of Henderson's detractors on here that they genuinely don't realise that, if available, he would get plenty of interest.
      There was a rumor before the match that PSG was going to use the LFC trip to try and negotiate signing Fab'... Lets pray that the papers got it wrong and that the negotiation was instead for Henderson  :f_whistle:
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6304: Nov 29, 2018 11:06:37 am
      A lot of debate on one player, for one game.

Looks like a lot of you have had enough. I wouldn’t disagree with the analysis that he looked off the pace against a slick PSG attack. Thought when Milner was pulled off, it should have been Henderson.

Thought he didn’t look mobile enough IMHO. The way Neymar rounded him with a one-two pass and move through his legs summed up his night.

The blame is not on Henderson for me, it’s on Klopp’s selection. The combination of Milner-Wijnaldum-Henderson is a tad traditional. I often think Milner is better suited in a midfield with Wijnaldum/Fabinho/Shaq or Keita along side while he puts in the graft.

Breaking news:  Jordan Henderson isn't Steven Gerrard,  now F***ing get over it.

This is one of the main problem for most supporters. "How dare he be knighted with the armband, play in his position, and not be Gerrard himself?!?" He’s bearing the absence of a now 38 year old player who’s now packed in.

The captaincy is a debate for the end of the season. Whether the best XI includes Henderson is up for debate, rather than his leadership qualities.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6305: Nov 29, 2018 11:20:55 am
      JĂźrgen watches his players at Melwood day in day out. He sees how they carry out his instructions on the pitch which he sees as critical to fulfilling his game plan. We haven't seen much of Kieta or Fabhino and you can make your own mind up on their progress in the squad and in training.
      The Anfield Wrap did a piece on him last year and his stats for the team were something like 63% win rate with him in the team and 32% when he isn't in the team so he is clearly integral to JĂźrgen plans. His midfield three last night are the legs of the team, not pretty or too dynamic but they are what they are. Lets get something else clear I have never seen anyone on this forum say Jordan is World Class but you get the same old numpties throwing that out all the tie nobody on this forum thinks that. What we see is a player who JĂźrgen trusts when he is fit he plays and the terrible and outrageous things posted about him are not how I think Liverpool supporters should behave.
       Last night at 2-0 so many declared the game over, again not really in the true spirit of the club if JĂźrgen thinks he isn't performing as he wants he will drop him and people should ask why when fit Kieta and Fabhino are not playing as they were supposed to give us what last nights midfield trio don't.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6306: Nov 29, 2018 11:39:14 am
      Of all our current midfielders, Henderson would attract the most interest from big clubs if he was available. Him and Keita. It's a measure of the one-eyedness of Henderson's detractors on here that they genuinely don't realise that, if available, he would get plenty of interest.

If Gini put in performances for club like he does country there'd be some serious interest there imo.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #6307: Nov 29, 2018 12:14:44 pm

That's not what I was getting at. How many clubs will actually try to poach him from us regardless of transfer status?

Coutinho, Gerrard, Emre Chan etc all had clubs actually trying to prise them away from us mid contract.

How many clubs will do that for Henderson, serious question?

Also to add to that, if he were up for sale which top European clubs do you think would enter a bidding war for him? Barca, Bayern, City, Real, Juventus etc

I'd love an answer from some of you on here who truly value Henderson and what he does for the team.

Because in my opinion the answer to both questions would be none.

Edit: The same could be said for both of his partners yesterday too.

Oh and I think Milner would get the most interest if they were put up for sale.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018 12:20:01 pm by LFCSTEVE1984 »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6308: Nov 29, 2018 12:29:06 pm
      That's not what I was getting at. How many clubs will actually try to poach him from us regardless of transfer status?

Coutinho, Gerrard, Emre Chan etc all had clubs actually trying to prise them away from us mid contract.

Also to add to that, if he were up for sale which top European clubs do you think would enter a bidding war for him? Barca, Bayern, City, Real, Juventus etc

I'd love an answer from some of you on here who truly value Henderson and what he does for the team.

How many clubs have tried to poach VVD, Robertson, Salah, Mane or Firmino from us?

It's a daft argument.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #6309: Nov 29, 2018 12:51:15 pm
      How many clubs have tried to poach VVD, Robertson, Salah, Mane or Firmino from us?

It's a daft argument.

So is the arguement that people haven't tried to poach them.

Funny the stuff the Henderson fans come up with to defend an arguement.

Every one of them bar maybe Robbo would be potential players that the big clubs would come after.

I think even this summer we might see people coming in for Mane or Salah.

How about answering the second question and putting Henderson against the players you listed.

I'd put my mortgage on the European elite clubs choosing any of them over Henderson if they were going to target one of our players
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3057 
      Reply #6310: Nov 29, 2018 12:55:38 pm

Every one of them bar maybe Robbo would be potential players that the big clubs would come after.

How about answering the second question and putting Henderson against the players you listed.

I'd put my mortgage on the European elite clubs choosing any of them over Henderson if they were going to target one of our players

Not following you at all fella.......🤔

Out of interest though - why not Robbo who’s on a relatively low salary and mid-way through deal?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #6311: Nov 29, 2018 01:02:37 pm

It's a daft argument.

So is the arguement that people haven't tried to poach them players.

Kind of proved my point, you listed most of our star quality as a kind of barometer.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #6312: Nov 29, 2018 01:05:45 pm
      Not following you at all fella.......🤔

Out of interest though - why not Robbo who’s on a relatively low salary and mid-way through deal?

Mainly because he is still to some into his prime and has had a relatively short time playing at the top level.

I'd put him in the same bracket as the others if he continues as he is for a year or two and I fully believe the big boys will be interested.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 528 
      Reply #6313: Nov 29, 2018 01:06:30 pm

Barca came in for Coutinho cos he let them know he was interested in a move. Juve came in for Can for the same reason. If Hendo let it be known he wanted a move there would be plenty of interest. From all our English rivals for a start.

Some of our fans have confirmation bias with Hendo. They see him make a couple of negative passes in a row and that's it, he's had a sh*te game, no matter what he does after that. Last night is a case in point. I was frustrated with him in the 1st half. Him and Gini were both poor. But he had a genuinely good 2nd half. He took responsibility, came forward, worked space in tight situations, fed nice balls into our attackers, did really well to deal with several poor passes into him by his teamates, and still did his defensive duties well too. But half of the posters on here didn't notice any of it cos he'd already confirmed their pre-existing feelings about him in the 1st half, and they were happy to blame a bad result on him, as their default scapegoat.

The truth is that the biggest problem, in terms of who individually is playing well or badly, we have had this season is our fabled front 3. Mane and Salah are both blowing hot and cold ( seem to be taking it in turns to play well, never playing well together), while Firmino has just blown consistently cold. In the 2nd half yesterday, we had plenty of good possession round the edge of their box ( a lot of it supplied by Hendo), but Mane ( and Robertson) were the only ones prepared to take on a defender, make the right run off the ball or play in a team mate. Our lack of form up front is by miles our biggest problem this season, but as usual everybody blames the midfield in general, and of course Henderson in particular.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3057 
      Reply #6314: Nov 29, 2018 01:09:25 pm
      Mainly because he is still to some into his prime and has had a relatively short time playing at the top level.

I'd put him in the same bracket as the others if he continues as he is for a year or two and I fully believe the big boys will be interested.

Personslly I really don’t agree.

I actually think he’s one we’re vulnerable to lose if we don’t get his deal sorted to reflect his level.

I guarantee you - mereset suggestion he was unsettled the other big boys would all over us like hyenas.......

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #6315: Nov 29, 2018 01:12:52 pm
      Personslly I really don’t agree.

I actually think he’s one we’re vulnerable to lose if we don’t get his deal sorted to reflect his level.

I guarantee you - mereset suggestion he was unsettled the other big boys would all over us like hyenas.......

You might be right mate because I think he is outstanding but think and hope it will be a few years yet before they come sniffing around.

Definitely a player who I can see one of the big boys going after though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6316: Nov 29, 2018 01:15:37 pm

WE ARENT HENDERSON FANS WE ARE LIVEPOOL FANS. you and your cabal really don't get this club if you think it is ok to go after a player even when he doesn't play the usual muppets slag the lad off.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6317: Nov 29, 2018 01:20:00 pm
      JĂźrgen watches his players at Melwood day in day out. He sees how they carry out his instructions on the pitch which he sees as critical to fulfilling his game plan. We haven't seen much of Kieta or Fabhino and you can make your own mind up on their progress in the squad and in training.
      The Anfield Wrap did a piece on him last year and his stats for the team were something like 63% win rate with him in the team and 32% when he isn't in the team so he is clearly integral to JĂźrgen plans. His midfield three last night are the legs of the team, not pretty or too dynamic but they are what they are. Lets get something else clear I have never seen anyone on this forum say Jordan is World Class but you get the same old numpties throwing that out all the tie nobody on this forum thinks that. What we see is a player who JĂźrgen trusts when he is fit he plays and the terrible and outrageous things posted about him are not how I think Liverpool supporters should behave.
       Last night at 2-0 so many declared the game over, again not really in the true spirit of the club if JĂźrgen thinks he isn't performing as he wants he will drop him and people should ask why when fit Kieta and Fabhino are not playing as they were supposed to give us what last nights midfield trio don't.
      All I hear is JĂźrgen JĂźrgen JĂźrgen like he's some super intelligent being. He's human! Have you heard the saying two heads are better than one? When 85% of fans (guesstimate) can't stand Henderson starting in big games I think that's a bit bigger than any small minorities that think Henderson is super duper. Secondly, couldn't give a crap what Klopp sees at Melwood... we care about match day, he could be Lionel Messi at Melwood and I literally wouldn't give a crap.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 835 
      Reply #6318: Nov 29, 2018 01:25:08 pm
      This is all a bit sad really, I remember when Kuyt and Lucas used to get the same level of constant criticism irrelevant of how they or other players played and it made me feel both sad and disappointed that Liverpool fans could go over the top so much about their own players - especially ones who wear the badge with pride and just keep going and going - the sort of stuff we used to applaud and Shanks and Bob used to demand from the players.

Henderson last night was in the deep lying defensive midfield role - for years players have always been criticised when they played that role because they just see a player doing simple things , little sideways passes , keeping the game ticking over , recycling possession , moving players in front around until a gap appears but Henderson’s get nothing but constant criticism for it - someone said as captain they expect a thundering tackle or to smash it in from 30 yards and produce a bit of magic , all they are doing is just comparing to Gerrard - that’s not Henderson’s game it never has been so why should he be lamblasted when he doesn’t do it , he isn’t going to go on dazzling runs , play constant Xabi balls all over the place again it’s not his game.

In his time at the club he has played various roles - high attacking mid , wide right , sitting mid and done them all eight credit - in fact doesn’t get enough credit

All this talk about the worst mid in CL and the Prem and with him we aren’t good enough to win this and that is nonsense - we didn’t lose last light because Henderson played , if Last night there was 10 players playing superbly and one who didn’t then I could understand the finger pointing towards him but it clearly wasn’t - Salah , Firmino , Gini , Lovren , Gomez all played really poorly last - especially the front two , we weren’t going to create much but whenever we did they were poor , far worse than Henderson - don’t see many finger pointing there

People are quick to mention a pass he made when he should have passed to a different player as if it’s a crime

But here are three instances last night that get ignored

1. Shaqiri gave the ball away on the right hand side of their penalty area ( about the fourth time he did ) and Rabiot burst forward going past Keita and Robbo - he was pretty much clear until one person got to him and stopped them having a clear 3 on 1 - Henderson

2. We were passing around the right edge of the box and Henderson then played this lovely little ball into Robbo bursting into the box who then had his shot blocked

3. Salah put in another poor corner , it was cleared to Henderson who put it back in cleared again but this time to Neymar who burst forward with Mbappe and Cavani - one player sprinted back and got right in front of Neymar and stopped the attack -

Henderson did that all night , it’s not flashy , it doesn’t grab headlines , fans just moan at it but his fellow players and manager appreciates it because that’s the job he is in the team for - to do all that simple stuff , Fabinho isn’t in the team because he has struggled to do it , you aren’t going to put Kieta or Shaqiri there - it’s not their roles

Henderson isn’t a world beater - no one has suggested he is - but he is a key player for the manager and the players , come the game in Napoli I have no doubt he will be in the team - he maybe won’t have Milner next to him or Gini but Henderson will be sitting there in front of the back for doing what the manager wants - and I fully expect he will get the same criticism and that for me is pretty poor from the fanbase - we used to appreciate players like him over the years well before Internet forums

That's why we challenged and won titles and trophies when we had Lucas and Kuyt playing every week!

This whole ''role'' is very bland argument that only justifies how limited his footballing abilities are. The way I see him is he is a decent player for a title challenging team, useful squad player but not a key player. His lack of passing technique and vision makes him play things safe. He also doesn't carry the ball as much as Fabinho or Keita nor does he look to play players in space. He has his moments of one or two good passes in every 3 or 4 games. He doesn't even keep things ticking, on the contrary he slows the game down. The good thing about him that he is athletic, harasses opponents with his pressing. You see, we had Alonso, Hamman and Mascherano (even to an extent Gerrard in his later years) playing in the same role doing what Henderson does and more.

Look, fair enough, I agree, I think fans jump on his throat a lot especially that last night Milner and Gini were dire, and Milner got away with a lot of criticism since he hasn't put on one good game since September.

It's silly to criticize the fan base by calling them poor when they disagree with your point of view. Before internet forums we had some fantastic midfielders who were miles ahead of what we have right now.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #6319: Nov 29, 2018 01:28:08 pm
      WE ARENT HENDERSON FANS WE ARE LIVEPOOL FANS. you and your cabal really don't get this club if you think it is ok to go after a player even when he doesn't play the usual muppets slag the lad off.

I won't slag him when he doesn't play, however when he does play I just don't think he is good enough for Liverpool.

I'll admit it I don't want him in the team and yes I'm a Liverpool fan always have been always will be.

I just think I'm on the other side of the fence, one side people love him for his industry and defensive work (which I don't actually think is anything special).

Then on the other side there are people who lament him for his contributions on the pitch (well lack of contributions on the pitch)

I thought Migs was costing us points through his inability to have a save to goals conceded ratio better than 1 to 1, so I wanted him out for the better of the team.

Now I want Henderson out of the team because I think his negative passing is hampering our ability to score more goals.

Honestly, in my opinion he isn't good enough and I can't see even Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham or even the Mancs signing him and giving him a regular starting place let alone the armband.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6320: Nov 29, 2018 01:29:17 pm
      Breaking news:  Jordan Henderson isn't Steven Gerrard,  now f**king get over it.

Can we at least buy and play someone who is more like Stevie G though or do we just give up?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6321: Nov 29, 2018 01:29:32 pm
      Tell me Walton, how did it feel when Uefa openly took the piss out of Henderson getting megged like an amateur last night? They could have picked any game last night but they picked PSG v Liverpool because Henderson made Neymar look even better than he is standing there legs wide open with meg me written allover his face. Maybe if Henderson practices a bit more his legs can be goal posts.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3057 
      Reply #6322: Nov 29, 2018 01:32:45 pm
      Whether you rate Henderson or not.......60% of this thread is a f***in’ abject disgrace utterly driven by a couple of moronic “witchfinder general” fuckwits who know f**k all about football.

They care more for the sound of THEIR voice, THEIR opinion, THEIR pain then Liverpool Football Club. We’re all hurting after a result and performance like that.

Gimme peace and get the F**k over yourselves.

Absolute joke.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018 01:36:55 pm by Scotia »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6323: Nov 29, 2018 01:32:49 pm
      Can we at least buy and play someone who is more like Stevie G though or do we just give up?
      Ox, we need Ox. Nearest we got our probably will easily get.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6324: Nov 29, 2018 01:36:50 pm
      Whether you rate Henderson or not.......60% of this thread is a f***in’ abject disgrace utterly driven by a couple of moronic “witchfinder general” fuckwits who know f**k all about football.

They care more for the sound of THEIR voice, THEIR opinion, THEIR pain then Liverpool Football Club. We’re all hurting after a result and performance like that. Gimme peace.

Absolute joke.
      Scotia, you can't be very good at math. It's just you, Mags, Walton and Bananaman who feel so strongly about Henderson. That's 4 people. This 60% claim .... There's more than 6 people on this forum who can't stand Henderson in big games.

Quick Reply