Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Cristian Zapata (Udinese)

Read 13804 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Cristian Zapata (Udinese)
      Reply #46: Jun 18, 2011 08:28:33 am
      Is he comfortable playing in a back three? That's the formation Udinese play. He's usually in the center of the back 3 if I recall.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #47: Jun 18, 2011 08:30:34 am
      According to the BBC via the mirror the player himself says hes close to signing for us.

Also intrest from City, Bayern and Inter

City are melters they have about  central defenders already ffs
      Yep he came out and said that yesterday, haven't seen much of him but from what people say he could be a good signing.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #48: Jun 18, 2011 12:58:00 pm

Udinese defender Christian Zapata says Liverpool FC transfer deal is 'very close'

By Neil Jones
          Jun 18 2011

UDINESE defender Cristian Zapata has claimed he is on the verge of completing a move to Liverpool FC.

Zapata is one of the most highly-rated central defenders in Serie A, and helped Udinese qualify for the Champions League last season.

The 24-year-old told a Colombian radio station that a switch to Anfield is a possibility, but insists his future will not be decided until the end of the Copa America, which starts in Argentina next month.

"I do not know what to say, I can say that I am very close to Liverpool,” said Zapata, who has 12 caps for his country and has long been linked with a move to the Premier League.

"At the end of the Copa America, we will see what happens with my future.

"I have gained experience, but the time has come for me to make the jump to a big team."

Reds boss Kenny Dalglish is known to be in the market for a defender, having missed out on Blackburn’s Phil Jones, who joined Manchester United.

It is understood that Zapata, who can also play as a full-back, would cost around £12m, though no official bid has been lodged at this stage. He has two years left on his deal at Stade Friuli.

Birmingham’s Scott Dann has also been linked, though the ECHO understands reports of an imminent bid are wide of the mark. Liverpool have concerns about the 24-year-old Merseysider’s fitness record, having seen him miss a large chunk of last season with a hamstring problem.

Meanwhile Rennes midfielder Sylvain Marveaux, persistently linked with a switch to Anfield over the past six months, has signed a five-year deal with Newcastle United.

Marveaux, 25, had been available on a free transfer after the expiry of his contract. Liverpool did hold an interest in the Frenchman, but chose not to complete a deal due to doubts over his durability and fitness.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/06/18/udinese-defender-christian-zapata-says-liverpool-fc-transfer-deal-is-very-close-100252-28900128/
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #49: Jun 18, 2011 01:10:36 pm
      I was wondering if he'd be comfortable in a back three.
      Yes I do hope Kenny has this up his sleeve, with Johnson/Kelly or Johnson/? on the midfiled flanks.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #50: Jun 18, 2011 02:27:56 pm

He can play all across the back 4 according to some reports.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #51: Jun 18, 2011 02:42:16 pm
      He can play all across the back 4 according to some reports.

Highly doubt he will be played anytime at left back and if he is then i hope people are prepared for some poor performances.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #52: Jun 18, 2011 03:55:53 pm
      Asked about his future by La FM, he said: "I do not know what to say, I can say that I am very close to Liverpool.

"I have gained experience, but the time has come for me to make the jump to a big team."

Say's it all really..sign him up!
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #53: Jun 18, 2011 04:38:53 pm
      This might be a bit OT but if Udinese do decide to sell Zapata and Sanchez, having just qualified for the UCL, do they reall expect to succeed in Europe?

Back on topic and I would defo sign this lad

His tackling seems to be perfectly timed, good headerer of the ball and a really strong defender as well
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #54: Jun 18, 2011 06:16:52 pm
      Would be a great buy IMO, hopefully he wouldn't be a flop like the last defender we got from Italy though!
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #55: Jun 18, 2011 06:45:58 pm
      He said there is a "strong link" with Liverpool but never said the deal is "very close"

Here is the interview if you know spanish: http://www.lafm.com.co/audios/audios/16-06-11/fm-f-tbol-mundial-junio-16-parte-2

Just first 7 minutes
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #56: Jun 19, 2011 12:46:50 am
      Udinese defender Christian Zapata says Liverpool FC transfer deal is 'very close'

"I do not know what to say, I can say that I am very close to Liverpool,” said Zapata, who has 12 caps for his country and has long been linked with a move to the Premier League.

Am I the only one who is thinking that by saying he is very close to Liverpool might not mean he is close to signing, just that he likes us as a club.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #57: Jun 19, 2011 02:27:29 am
      Am I the only one who is thinking that by saying he is very close to Liverpool might not mean he is close to signing, just that he likes us as a club.

Wondered that as well. This just makes it more likely your interpretation is correct:

He said there is a "strong link" with Liverpool but never said the deal is "very close"

Here is the interview if you know spanish: http://www.lafm.com.co/audios/audios/16-06-11/fm-f-tbol-mundial-junio-16-parte-2

Just first 7 minutes
      redsnake
      • Banned

• 128 posts |
      Reply #58: Jun 19, 2011 02:41:05 am
      Great player was awesome against Milan. Great tackler doesnt panic good in the air at set pieces. Said ages ago he would become a top player and being a Columbian nothing in the prem is gona faze him.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #59: Jun 19, 2011 07:49:17 am
      He actually says he is 'very close' to Liverpool and Bayern Munich and then says "lo más fuerte es lo del Liverpool" which would translate to something like "the strongest thing is about Liverpool" or more accurately "the most real/possible thing is about Liverpool" so I don't think he's talking about his feelings at all, sounds like business-talk.

He also says there are no news from Arsenal, and he does not see Villareal as an attractive option. All the other talk is about the Copa América. Anyway, I don't know if you guys watch the Copa games but I'll be sure to post something about him once I see him play.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #60: Jun 19, 2011 10:51:54 am
      Doubt we'll wait until the end of the Copa America to sign a CB, Cahill and Dann may already be sold by that point
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #61: Jun 19, 2011 10:53:52 am
      Alway been impressed with the lad when I have seen him, but don't know if he could hack it in the premier league.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #62: Jun 19, 2011 11:09:03 am
      Would be a great signing. We've been crying out for a solid,bulky,strong ball winner in defence.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #63: Jun 19, 2011 11:12:40 am
      Would be a great signing. We've been crying out for a solid,bulky,strong ball winner in defence.

I see him more of a footballing CB like Agger rather than just a ball winner.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #64: Jun 19, 2011 11:13:32 am
      Dont know a awful lot about the lad to be honest,but most of you lot seem to be of the opinion that he,s the buisness so why not.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      Reply #65: Jun 19, 2011 11:17:14 am
      I see him more of a footballing CB like Agger rather than just a ball winner.
      I agree,meant to say that too. Would you say he is Lawrenson/Hansen esq?
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #66: Jun 19, 2011 11:21:58 am
      I agree,meant to say that too. Would you say he is Lawrenson/Hansen esq?

Hansen was the best CB I have ever seen and Lawrenson one of the quickest, but I understand what you mean. This lad is good with both feet and can bring the ball from the back like Hansen used to. My only gripe would be if he could stomach the physical side of the premiership which is unlike the football he is used to.

If he can adapt he could be a steal.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      Reply #67: Jun 19, 2011 11:33:23 am
      Hansen was the best CB I have ever seen and Lawrenson one of the quickest, but I understand what you mean. This lad is good with both feet and can bring the ball from the back like Hansen used to. My only gripe would be if he could stomach the physical side of the premiership which is unlike the football he is used to.

I reckon he could be one of best signing's since Sami. The link play with the midfield on a counter attack with him bombing forward would be fantastic
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #68: Jun 19, 2011 11:36:58 am

A few years ago I would have agreed but you cant tackle anymore in the EPL so it owuldnt be a problem.

Quick Reply