Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Copa America Argentina 2011

Read 31219 times
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Re: Copa America Argentina 2011
      Reply #368: Jul 27, 2011 01:48:13 pm
      Copa America special: How Luis Suarez and Uruguay conquered a continent

By Mirror Football in Mirror Football Blog

Published 12:09 27/07/11

Uruguay are the form team in the world game following their Copa America triumph last weekend. Here guest blogger and South American football expert Euan Marshall looks at their remarkable rise...

In all my time watching the Copa America, I have never seen a tournament as unpredictable and widely publicised as this year’s. Naturally, with the increased attention came more criticism, the early group matches did not deliver many goals (an average of two per game during the group stage) with the majority of sides playing a defensive style.

However things really started to catch fire as the knockout phase approached, with the elimination of Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Colombia in the space of just two days. Uruguay were left as the clear favourites and strolled to their historic 15th Copa America title, brushing aside Paraguay in the final and winning 3-0. Undoubtedly, the best team triumphed.

What with their performance in the 2010 World Cup and now this Copa America victory, it is clear to see that Uruguay are currently the best team on the continent. What makes them so effective is that they have the complete package; fabulous individual talent, a solid team ethic and a coach with genuine tactical nous. Combine this with some good old garra charrua (Uruguayan term for a victorious spirit in the face of adversity) and it’s no surprise they waltzed to victory in Argentina.

Coach Oscar Washington Tabarez is a genuine class act. Known as El Maestro, he has been integral to Uruguay’s resurgence on the national scene since he took control in 2006. As we saw at the 2010 World Cup, he is a genius when it comes to tactics and is not afraid to make changes if things are not going well. He approaches every game with a unique approach, using a certain strategy to prey on his opponent’s weaknesses and attempt to neutralise their threats. In this Copa America alone, Tabarez sent out Uruguay with five distinctly different shapes in their six matches, ranging from 3-4-3 to 4-4-1-1.

Uruguay also possesses the stunning individual quality required by the world’s best sides. In goal the much-maligned Fernando Muslera of Lazio had an excellent tournament, putting in a particularly heroic performance in the quarter final against Argentina. He certainly would have been the best goalkeeper of the tournament had it not been for Paraguay’s Justo Villar, who near singlehandedly took his country to the final with his vital saves throughout the month.

In front of Muslera, captain Diego Lugano was marvellous in the centre of defence and was flanked by some excellent performances from Best Young Player winner Sebastián Coates. The 20 year-old  was one of the real standouts in the squad, performing superbly against Chile when he was asked to play as a sweeper in the centre back trio. Coates is a prime example of the progress that Uruguay have made since Tabárez came in, as after impressing with the under 20’s team hewas fast-tracked into the senior side along with several others and played a big part.

In the midfield, Tabarez’s trusted duo of Diego Perez and Egidio Arevalo Rios were a feature of every line-up (except from the semi-final against Peru, when Perez was suspended) in front of the defence. Their hard-hitting and energetic style was extremely effective in breaking up play and they were absolutely central to all of Tabarez’s systems. On the left we saw several stunning performances from Álvaro Pereira, whose superb engine and stamina gave Uruguay a real threat down that flank and also an extra goal source.

The true stars were the forwards, as Diego Forlan and Player of the Tournament Luis Suarez were consistently outstanding. Before the tournament Uruguay were expected to play with three men up front, but with the injury to Napoli’s Edinson Cavani in the match against Chile, it was left to just two.

Forlan offers such an important contribution to this Uruguay squad, as with a midfield that lacks creativity, Forlan will often drop off from his forward position to act as the playmaker in the midfield. He struggled to find the net for most of the tournament, but his movement and link-play was spectacular throughout. He even managed to rediscover his goal scoring form at just the right time, scoring twice in the final.

Finally, the fantastic Luis Suarez. His intelligence and off the ball runs in the final third made him almost unplayable for the opposition defenders, with the vast majority of Uruguay’s goals involving some contribution from the Liverpool man. Another important role that he played was in frustrating defenders and drawing fouls and yellow cards, something he can do better than anyone else in the game.

In the space of a year, Uruguay achieved a fourth place finish at the 2010 World Cup, domestic giants Penarol made it to the final of the Copa Libertadores (the first Uruguayan side to do so in 23 years), and they have now clinched their 15th Copa America trophy - a South American record. All of this alludes to the fact that Uruguay have once again returned to prominence on the world stage and that the two-time world champions may well be entering into a new golden age.

Most of this progress can be credited to Tabarez, as it was his determination to overhaul the youth setup that helped nurture such talents as the aforementioned Coates, Nicolas Lodeiro, Abel Hernandez and Bologna’s Gaston Ramirez, all of which have been integrated into the full senior squad. This is a process that will keep producing stars, with names like Diego Polenta and Adrian Luna set to be the next stars to make the step up.

With Uruguay what you have is an excellent system with solid foundations, not just a talented generation of players that will come and go. If there remains anyone still doubting their credibility, the 2014 World Cup in Brazil should change that. With the ‘Tabarez project’ in full swing, who would bet against them?

Source

Tabarez assembled a composition of experienced and talented players who, well organized, give everything for their shirt and definitely El-Pistolero was their talisman to win their record 15th championship. We'll hear more of this team in the future.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #369: Jul 27, 2011 03:14:56 pm
      Well, maybe... no doubt this is a special Uruguayan team, not only in terms of talent, but especially team spirit and organization. But I really think their status cause they reached the World Cup semifinals is tremendously overrated. Yeah, obviously, they were semifinalists. But who did they face on their way? South Korea and Ghana. Better teams went out before them cause they faced tougher opposition.

But this status certainly helped them, being an important factor in their confidence for the Copa America (a competition that, as I've said before, is not as important as the Euro). With Peñarol also reaching a Libertadores final for the 1st time in a long time, the feeling in Uruguay has to be of resurrection. Rivalry aside, it's a great thing to see... Uruguayan football has a long, beautiful history.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #370: Aug 05, 2011 02:49:55 pm
      Well, maybe... no doubt this is a special Uruguayan team, not only in terms of talent, but especially team spirit and organization. But I really think their status cause they reached the World Cup semifinals is tremendously overrated. Yeah, obviously, they were semifinalists. But who did they face on their way? South Korea and Ghana. Better teams went out before them cause they faced tougher opposition.

Even I was thinking of this. But then I guess over the time all that remains/one remembers is "Uruguay reached the semifinals", not "Uruguay reached the semifinals because they faced this or that team".
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #371: Aug 05, 2011 04:38:13 pm
      Bit of credit where it's due, please.

They held France to a draw (well maybe the other way around because they could of won), smacked South Africa in their own backyard which is always very difficult playing against the home nation as was proved when they beat France and held Mexico, and then they beat Mexico also in a tough battle.

They put up a hell of a fight against the Dutch in the semi final and could of clinched it. They just started to show some class a bit too late.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #372: Aug 05, 2011 05:52:05 pm
      No ofcourse no one is denying them credit. I for one always love when an underdog wins and makes it far in the tournament.

Just that their path was relatively easier to others. Although they still weren't expected to make the semis ( had thought South Korea would beat them ), so full marks to them.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #373: Aug 05, 2011 09:23:02 pm
      Even I was thinking of this. But then I guess over the time all that remains/one remembers is "Uruguay reached the semifinals", not "Uruguay reached the semifinals because they faced this or that team".
      True, BUT...i think its the first time a host nation didnt advance from group stages. France is never easy to beat specially when Platini pulling the strings), and Mexico aint easy either.

South Korea in the rain is hard for anyone( they run like duracell bunnys), and Ghana kicked the sh*t out of us( yes, they did), and regarding the last play of the match, The free kick that led to the handball was a blatant dive, and there where 2 offsides in the headers right before Luis handballs, so I call it Divine Justice.

Regarding "south korea beating them" ...thats a bit of an overstatement! The long shot was them beating us, not the other way round!. And im not talking about the weight of history, im talking about player to player.

I dont think we are quite back yet, and i doubt we could pull it off again in the near future, but i know it will be a hell of a ride, and I know Brazil would rather play in the cup against someone else!!. As I said, Football Historys worst guests!!!
      Did you know that with that last cup, Uruguay is the national team that has won the largest amount of official titles in the world, with 20 (I know some are more important that others, but I still love that figure!!!)

jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #374: Aug 06, 2011 05:19:02 am
      As I said:

No ofcourse no one is denying them credit. I for one always love when an underdog wins and makes it far in the tournament.

Just that their path was relatively easier to others. Although they still weren't expected to make the semis ( had thought South Korea would beat them ), so full marks to them.

Credit where its due.

As for South Korea beating Uruguay, that's just what I had thought. As an outsider I had not seen much of Uruguay, not much impressive more like, so had I been putting money I would have done so on South Korea. Would have been proven wrong though. :D

Quick Reply