Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

The Central Midfield Debate

Read 10900 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: The Central Midfield Debate
      Reply #138: Jul 20, 2011 12:39:25 am
      Actually, I think this is what we'll line up with in our first game vs. Sunderland (in the midfield, that is):

Lucas                          Adam

Kuyt                                    Aquilani/Meireles                                       Downing

I don't think Suarez will be available, so Carroll will be leading the line.

This is what I would love to see in the 1st game of the season.

With Meireles, he's hardworking, fantastic movement and explosive. This would imo allow Adam to play slightly higher up the pitch, playing as a central midfield playmaker where the main focal point would be him. With Lucas in midfield, I think we'd see a high energetic battling midfield.

With Aquilani, I believe Adam would play a deep lying playmaker role with Aquilani slipping throughballs to downing, kuyt etc. Ball retention will be a +. Adam can play more defensively with Lucas allowing Aquilani to play his game with freedom.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #139: Jul 20, 2011 08:43:34 am
      Actually, I think this is what we'll line up with in our first game vs. Sunderland (in the midfield, that is):

Lucas                          Adam

Kuyt                                    Aquilani/Meireles                                       Downing

I don't think Suarez will be available, so Carroll will be leading the line.

if aqua starts against sunderland we will know at that point that his future is here.. id also bet on cattermole going through him early and being first booking to see if he can scare him out of the game..

options this season are going to be so much more and I cant wait
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #140: Jul 20, 2011 09:18:43 am
      Just let me do something a little controversial and leave Gerrard out (primarily due to concerns over injury/fitness).

What I think may be the first choice (sans Gerrard)

Aquilani
      Downing                    Henderson
      Adam - Lucas

if Gerrard is unavailable then this looks class JD..hope king will employ this against sunderland
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #141: Jul 20, 2011 09:26:26 am
      im looking forward to hendersons first run out ( and downing) which will probably be against hull.. want to see how he does
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #142: Jul 26, 2011 05:26:29 am
      “Woah woah woah! We’ve got the best midfield in the world! We’ve got Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Gerrard and Mascheranoooo” Still fresh in my memory. Rings a bell?!

Since Rafa we got another pack of ideas in the center of circle with 10 central midfielders in the book: Lucas, Aquilani, Poulsen, Gerrard, Spearing, Shelvey, Henderson, Adam, Maxi, and Meireles!

Who starts in and who sits out or may leave us still to be known but I think we need depth in the midfield and with friendly games ahead KD will sort it out sooner rather than later.

With a fierce competition for places, I think it's a good idea to loan Jono and even Jay out to get regular first team actions under their belt and sell Aqua and Poulsen with good deals. And the remaining lads have enough quality to compete for their places.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #143: Jul 26, 2011 06:12:41 am
      All I know is every season we get thrown way off with some players because they solidify themselves in the XI when we think otherwise and some we think will kill it and they struggle. That's why I have this feeling Spearing will play more games than some think, some are saying he should be loaned out, I think next to Lucas in a new season those two will have some fun. Of course, we have plenty of options and we'll be playing plenty of different formations. If Gerrard and Carroll are in the XI it makes it a little more predictable but still, not sure which way we'll go. The versatility of Suarez, Kuyt and Downing as well as guys like Jordan Henderson and Raul Meireles will get us pretty excited I think. All under the Dalglish pass and move system - brilliant.
      drsameh
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #144: Jul 26, 2011 07:39:40 am
      Against sunderland...the way i see it is Gerard wont be match fit....Suarez wont be either, but both maybe on the bench for a run prior to the Arsenal Game. Think we will start something like this:

Kelly/Johnson------Carragher------Skrtle/Agger------Johnson/L.B

-----------Henderson-------Lucus---------Adam---------------

-----------Kuyt------------Caroll----------Downing------------

Henderson will want a start against his previous club, so will push Mereleis out, and since Caroll will be in there instead of Suarez, he will need the services of Downing and Adam!
      Kuyt and Lucus are no brainers for the starting line-up!

However...in a full strength squad (were Aquilani will probably be sold)...feel we will adopt a     4-1-3-2 system:

Kelly/Johnson-------Carragher-----Skrtle/agger-----Johnson/L.B

--------------------------Lucus------------------------------

--------Downing---------Gerrard----------Adam--------------

-------------------Suarez----------Caroll--------------------

absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Central midfield: Your preferred combination
      Reply #145: Aug 10, 2011 11:15:46 pm
      Poulsen - Spearing - Lucas - Shelvey - Meireles - Henderson - Adam - Gerrard - Aquilani

With 9 or (8) somewhat established (Shelvey aside) central midfielders in the side, Kenny has some decisions to make regarding our strongest combination in the middle when everyone is fit and ready...

Obviously, players like Poulsen, Spearing and Shelvey will find it hard to get in the side, but pretty much everyone else has a strong case to be included in the starting lineup when fit and ready..

Lucas: Player of the season last time around. Only realistic option for the defensive midfield position imo. Certain starter when available for me

Meireles: PFA Fans Player of the Year. Also had a very good debut season playing mostly out of position. I dont think we've seen all he has to offer and I for one would be very disappointed if we dont start him regularly. Regular starter for me.

Henderson: our 20mill man. When he signed many were saying he'd be played down the flank more often than not. From what I've seen of him, he's a disaster down the flank. Still young and will undoubtedly improve with experience but I feel a central position is where we'll most likely see him this season unless Kuyt suffers an injury. Bench player for me.

Adam: A player that Kenny seems to rate. He did well last season for Blackpool scoring 2 goals from open play (9 penalties and 2 set pieces) mostly in a good 6 months run... Has decent delivery but his overall game is a bit of a worry for me especially given the position and role he'd be expected to play. Too static and one dimensional. Bench role

Aquilani: Another 20mill signing of ours. Did well last season for Juventus. Has been doing well for Italy whenever called upon. Did well for us in preseason. We tried to offload him but it seems like he will be staying unless something drastic happens in the next few days. Never really got a chance to show Liverpool what he can offer and might very well have 4 or so months to do so. Has bags of skills,creativity, and flair, but isnt the best tackler and doent have the best defensive awareness. Divides opinions but remains perhaps the most exciting player in our books behind Suarez. Starter in Gerrard's absence, squad player otherwise.

Gerrard: When available, he is still our best player. Had his problems with injuries the past few years but I'm hopeful he'll have a decent run this time around. Will be interesting to see where he is played given our signings but regardless, he'll always have a guaranteed spot in the starting 11 when fit and ready.

For me, we should start the season with :

Lucas        Meireles
                          Aquilani

When Gerrard is back, we should consider playing:

Against stronger sides          Against weaker sides

Lucas     Meireles                                   Lucas
                Gerrard                                  Gerrard     Aquilani

I dont really buy into the whole 'we'll play a different formation and different players depending on the opposition' argument.. We should have a strongest starting 11 that is played when all are fit and on form regardless of the opposition. One of the main criticisms on previous managers was that we worried too much about what the opposition could do to hurt and thus focused less on our own strengths.. I dont see us playing 3 at the back often (if at all) and if we do decide to play a 4-4-2 then I dont expect it to be a traditional one with 2 wingers hugging the touchline simply because we dont have the personnel to make it work over a sustained period (Downing being the only exception)..

Many will argue that with us spending close to 30mill on Adam & Henderson, they're bound to play a significant part for us this season. I fully expect that to be the case. Howver imo, the lineups above just might provide the side with a better balance especially when it comes to transitioning the ball from defensive situations to attacking ones..

Many other factors will undoubtedly influence our decision on who to play and where/when to play them. One of the important factors is who plays the center forward role. If Suarez is played (with Carroll benched), then Aquilani imo should definitely be played in the side and given  considerable freedom to pick his positions and runs. Him and Suarez would connect well in the final 3rd imo and would certainly be exciting to watch. Similarly, If Carroll is played (with Suarez unavailable) then Adam should be considered for the threat he provides from setpieces and crosses.

If both Suarez and Carroll are played in the side (as expected when both are available) then that opens a whole new discussion on formations and where Suarez could be played. Most likely, such a scenario would leave Suarez moved to the flank (which isnt ideal given the defensive duties he's be expected to carry out). The alternative would be playing Suarez in a central role. That effectively rules out a 3man central midfield and leaves Lucas-Gerrard as an easy CM pairing when both are available.... Which again open up the discussion of Gerrard playing a wide role...etc etc

To make things easier, lets assume we play a 3 man central midfield... who would you play ? 
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Re: Central midfield: Your preferred combination
      Reply #146: Aug 10, 2011 11:31:14 pm
      agree with u mate

anyone who knows me knows how highly i rate meireles

lucas is our best option when it comes to defensive midfielders and gerrard has to be in there when he's fit

in the game against valencia, it looked like spearing was being pushed as a defensive midfielder

if this is the case, i wouldn't mind seeing him start in lucas' place against the championship promotees

anyone who knows me also knows i think we can do better than lucas while accepting he's decent and the best we have at the moment

i don't know what to make of aquilani, maybe he should start against mid-table opposition and the occasional decent side
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #147: Aug 10, 2011 11:32:10 pm
            Adam - Lucas
                Gerrard
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #148: Aug 10, 2011 11:35:39 pm
      Very dependant on formation but in a 4-2-3-1 would have to be:

Lucas  Aquilani
                    Gerrard

I think Aquilani gets slated too much defensively and partnered with Lucas will do a much better job than Meireles or Adam in that position i believe allowing Stevie G the free role. Without Stevie available I'd swap AA for Stevie and play Adam in his place. I do think Raul had a good finish to the season but I think him and Maxi will be struggling to get first team game time this year. Despite Henderson being a big money signing I don't have the confidence to stick him in anywhere yet but hope to be proven wrong with this kid as I do believe Kenny knows talent when he sees it, we'll see!
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #149: Aug 10, 2011 11:36:14 pm
      Kenny will have headaches thinking about it.

Will he play 2 upfront? Will Suarez play wide?

But bear in mind folk, Meireles was often played out wide as well. It's very good to see the endless options we have, our formation will be unpredictable and extremely not limited.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #150: Aug 10, 2011 11:43:01 pm
      Kenny will have headaches thinking about it.

Will he play 2 upfront? Will Suarez play wide?

But bear in mind folk, Meireles was often played out wide as well. It's very good to see the endless options we have, our formation will be unpredictable and extremely not limited.
      need a degree of stability to our formation though, we don't want to change formations and tactics so much that players become confused as to what their roles are

how's life in the midlands, roy? :p
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #151: Aug 10, 2011 11:53:00 pm
      4-2-3-1 against the best teams, I'd have:

Lucas       Gerrard

Suarez                  Aquilani                       Downing

4-2-3-1 against lesser teams, I'd go:

Lucas       Adam

Suarez                   Gerrard                         Downing

Without Gerrard, in the first put Meireles in his place. In the second, I'd put Aquilani.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #152: Aug 10, 2011 11:56:25 pm

Lucas       Gerrard

Lucas       Adam

Without Gerrard, in the first put Meireles in his place. In the second, I'd put Aquilani.
      i like it

what about kuyt though?

u only leave room for one up front

downing over kuyt?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #153: Aug 11, 2011 12:00:21 am
      I'd have all of them over Kuyt, and yes only one up front. I'm assuming our "base" formation is 4-2-3-1. I think Kuyt's best value is as a backup striker at this point.

I do like the plethora of options, though :)
      absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #154: Aug 11, 2011 12:01:09 am

Lucas       Gerrard

Lucas       Adam

Just to try and get this straight.. You think Aquilani is a better option against the bigger sides, while thinking Adam would be a better option against the smaller sides ?
      I would have thought it would be the opposite...
      Adam gives us the chance of nicking the winning goal from a set piece or through his corner delivery.. Aquilani would seemingly help us carve out more opportunities and open up defenses through his passing and dribbling (which you would think would be somewhat constricted against stronger defenses and when we dont have most of the possession )

Could be just me 
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #155: Aug 11, 2011 12:04:29 am
      I'd have all of them over Kuyt, and yes only one up front. I'm assuming our "base" formation is 4-2-3-1. I think Kuyt's best value is as a backup striker at this point.

I do like the plethora of options, though :)
      oh, i wasn't suggesting one up front was a bad idea, after all, we've got suarez right there ;)

was just pointing out u left no room for kuyt ;D
      absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #156: Aug 11, 2011 12:07:58 am
      I like it

what about kuyt though?

u only leave room for one up front

downing over kuyt?

I think Kuyt's main competition might very well be Andy Carroll this season...
      Suarez clearly prefers playing upfront (usually as a lone striker) giving him more freedom to move across the pitch and get behind defenders... Carroll's presence doesnt allow for that...

Kuyt (and Downing) down the flank(s) seems the perfect option if we decide on a possession game with Aquilani, Gerrard and Lucas supporting from behind...

On the other hand, Carroll upfront would mean more balls need to be delivered to the box with the forward providing less movement in the final third.. As such, Adam might come in handy with his crossing/long passes/corners.. Aquilani (maybe even Suarez) would also find it harder in such circumstances (see Valencia preseason) with longer balls being the preferred option)...

Might very well be a decision between Kuyt and Carroll depending on the form of the latter...
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #157: Aug 11, 2011 12:11:09 am
      I think Kuyt's main competition might very well be Andy Carroll this season...
      Suarez clearly prefers playing upfront (usually as a lone striker) giving him more freedom to move across the pitch and get behind defenders... Carroll's presence doesnt allow for that...
      not downing?
      absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #158: Aug 11, 2011 12:14:02 am
      I dont really understand your question..
      But ill just say, Downing is the only wide player in the side capable of beating his man and putting a cross in, he's also decent at cutting inside and bringing the central midfielders into play.. In my books he starts whenever fit...
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #159: Aug 11, 2011 12:16:57 am
      I dont really understand your question..
      But ill just say, Downing is the only wide player in the side capable of beating his man and putting a cross in, he's also decent at cutting inside and bringing the central midfielders into play.. In my books he starts whenever fit...
      my bad

u think it's between kuyt and carroll, not kuyt and downing?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #160: Aug 11, 2011 12:21:00 am
      I'd have a middle three of:
      Poulsen - for his unique style of play, vision, creational ability and pace.

I can't think of anyone else.

Oh well.

Quick Reply