Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The referee appraisal thread

Read 23073 times
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Re: The referee appraisal thread
      Reply #207: Oct 02, 2011 09:51:06 pm

Yellow card? For me, yes, you can't go charging in like that these days, it is dangerous.

Red? Not for me. No way.
      but by the letter of the law, if you agree it is dangerous, then he has to go (whether you like the law or not is another issue)
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #208: Oct 02, 2011 10:37:29 pm
      He's took the bloody ball, what did you expect him to do, just stand there and let Suarez go past him.

Never in a million years is that a foul, its not in the least bit dangerous!!

By the time he reached Suarez his studs were planted in the ground, next you'll be telling me that his tackle had the safety of the ball at risk of injury!!!!!!
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #209: Oct 02, 2011 10:41:13 pm
      If the referee thought it was dangerous he had to go. End of story.
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #210: Oct 02, 2011 10:42:30 pm
      The referee got it wrong, end of
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #211: Oct 02, 2011 10:52:54 pm
      What did he get wrong?
      Did he interpret the tackle as dangerous and this was incorrect? or
      Did he incorrectly apply the laws of the game?
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #212: Oct 02, 2011 10:59:34 pm
      I don't think it was dangerous at all, but thats just me, it doesn't matter now anyway, we might as well move on!!
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #213: Oct 02, 2011 11:08:44 pm
      I wouldn't argue with you. I do think it's too subjective to be definitive. It's hard to know what goes through referee's heads these days or what they are directed to do.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #214: Oct 02, 2011 11:36:32 pm
      Atkinson thought he was at 'old toilet' copped on and gave fcuk all to us after that. Swing's and roundabout's with ref's. Win some/lose some get over it. 3pts is all that matters.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #215: Oct 03, 2011 04:47:54 am
      If we were keeping a league table, this guy would be at the bottom.  Many will know I defend refs, easy targets, who get far too much stick when compared to their shortcomings.  But the ref had a shocker, a red card for something that was a booking at worse & two, I hesitate to use the word, tackles that should have seen red.  He can't even say he was unsighted for 2 of the 3 incidents, as his positioning was superb. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #216: Oct 04, 2011 05:28:54 pm
      Rodwell gets rescinded.

They really are whining moaning Bitters.

OK.

FA going to rescind the Spurs Red Cards?

No.

That is beneath contempt to ask them do. We just get on with it.
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #217: Oct 04, 2011 07:10:18 pm
      Rodwell gets rescinded.

They really are whining moaning Bitters.

OK.

FA going to rescind the Spurs Red Cards?

No.

That is beneath contempt to ask them do. We just get on with it.

The two Spurs red cards were obvious straight reds, this one was clearly not.  Move on
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #218: Oct 05, 2011 01:25:35 am
      Rodwell has attacked the ball with open studs ...

Attacking the ball isn't against the rules.   ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #219: Oct 05, 2011 10:48:08 am
      I've already said that it don't think it was a red, but it was a foul.

Getting the ball does not mean a challenge is never a foul.

It was a free kick, no doubt in my mind about that.  The player went sliding in with his studs up on a 50/50 ball and he knew he was going to make contact with the player.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #220: Oct 05, 2011 10:56:42 am
       I didn't think it wa sa foul TBH and Rodwell was unlucky. Cahill could have gone for his challenge which was a nasty one.

A bigger issue is though that I can't honestly remember us having a decent refereeing performance in any matches this season. The general standard is awful, and it needs to be addressed. It's not only us either, you had Phil Dowd in the ridiculous situation the other week in the Man U v C helsea match where he gave a pen that never was in a million years, then had to book Ashley Cole for a challenge in the box whioch was a penno but couldn't give a foul. That's a new one on me that is. Joke refereeing.   
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #221: Oct 05, 2011 10:58:14 am
      Attacking the ball isn't against the rules.   ;)

Seems your right.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #222: Oct 05, 2011 11:03:42 am
      I've already said that it don't think it was a red, but it was a foul.

Getting the ball does not mean a challenge is never a foul.

It was a free kick, no doubt in my mind about that.  The player went sliding in with his studs up on a 50/50 ball and he knew he was going to make contact with the player.

When he first went in for the challenge, both feet were off the ground, studs up. He then tried to pull out of it to some extent, but followed through due to his momentum.

I can see why the ref gave the red, but I don't agree with it.

Intent (as the ref saw it) played a big part in it, imo

Add to that the REALLY bad fouls on both Adam and Lucas that he didn't give, and he had a pretty bad game - but then, he's a pretty bad ref.

It's time the FA ordered refs to justify contentious decisions, and published reasons.

It seems the FA agree with the vast majority on here that the ref got it wrong, and I agree with them.
      A free kick, and a yellow at most would have sufficed - and the way the player was throwing himself about, he would have either calmed down a bit, or get sent off for a second yellow soon enough.
      I didn't think it wa sa foul TBH and Rodwell was unlucky. Cahill could have gone for his challenge which was a nasty one.

A bigger issue is though that I can't honestly remember us having a decent refereeing performance in any matches this season. The general standard is awful, and it needs to be addressed. It's not only us either, you had Phil Dowd in the ridiculous situation the other week in the Man U v C helsea match where he gave a pen that never was in a million years, then had to book Ashley Cole for a challenge in the box whioch was a penno but couldn't give a foul. That's a new one on me that is. Joke refereeing.   

The ball was dead when cole fouled chicarito, so no pen, and no foul - a foul or pen can only be given when the ball is in play, and it had already gone out.
      A card can be given for violent or dangerous play when the ball is dead.

It's pretty simple.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #223: Oct 05, 2011 04:30:05 pm
      Do you think Evertonian's would be discussing the decision if it where Steven Gerrard who got his marching orders?

We all know the ref's are sh*t. Horrendous decisions happen all the time. We have certainly had our fair share go against us.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #224: Oct 05, 2011 04:33:24 pm
      The ball was dead when cole fouled chicarito, so no pen, and no foul - a foul or pen can only be given when the ball is in play, and it had already gone out.
      A card can be given for violent or dangerous play when the ball is dead.

It's pretty simple.

It is pretty simple, so no surprises that you got it wrong. Cole was a trolley bus ride late, and anywhere else on the pitch it was a foul. The ball wasn't in the stands when he made contact with the little Mexican fella ;D.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #225: Oct 05, 2011 05:13:51 pm
      The ref got it wrong again, so f***in what,Rodwell got the shitty end of the stick, it happens, the card was rescinded and that should be the end of it,refs will keep F***ing up end of,they are only human,but, the standard is sh*t so therefore so are the decisions, we need somehow to persuade ex-players to put something back into the game,now ok, if your a player, or been a player, or have played yourself that would be the last thing you'd want to do, to become a ref, and of course so long as the idiots who run the game dont change and incorporate common sense it will remain the same and more likely get worse,

it's not the be all and end all, but at least the game would have someone in the middle who has a incline of how the game works and what can happen, it's unlikely to ever happen but who knows,also the game needs to be revolutionised and to be fair the one way i see has to come in is goaline technology, not sure if anything will ever change but something has to happen, and very soon.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #226: Oct 15, 2011 05:15:22 pm
      Utd game.

Ref did alright, two hand ball appeals, neither given, neither were pens. Few soft freekicks, no real problems.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #227: Oct 15, 2011 05:29:53 pm
      Utd game.

Ref did alright, two hand ball appeals, neither given, neither were pens. Few soft freekicks, no real problems.

Agreed, he was for the most part invisible and that is what you want from a Ref.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #228: Oct 15, 2011 05:54:30 pm
      Not much to complain about today. I thought Lucas' yellow was a bit harsh, but he called a consistent game and didn't make any really bad calls (or no calls). The hand balls were unintentional and rightly let go.

I was surprised that Downing didn't get a yellow for his early slide tackle with studs up.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #229: Oct 15, 2011 11:45:05 pm
      Utd game.

Erm missing the descison not to give Ferdinand a second yellow after he'd fouled Adam and made no attempt to play the ball.

Quick Reply