Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Man of the Match?

Jose Enrique
      154 (62.1%)
      Luis Suarez
      25 (10.1%)
      Raul Meireles
      9 (3.6%)
      Pepe Reina
      3 (1.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      38 (15.3%)
      Martin Kelly
      19 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 245

Arsenal 0:2 Liverpool:In-Game and Post Match Sham a lang a ding dong!

Read 66161 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Arsenal 0:2 Liverpool:In-Game and Post Match Sham a lang a ding dong!
      Reply #989: Aug 21, 2011 11:26:47 am
      The fielded squad had the capability of giving any Premiership team an examination,they were overcome by a superior side.

Just because we have beaten them, it doesn't means that everything was rosy for us ... In fact, it was pretty far from it ... To be honest, I was expecting our 5-man midfield (widely regarded as the strongest and deepest part of our team) to dominate Arsenal's 3-man midfield that was missing Fabregas, Wilshere, Song, Diaby and Rosicky ...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #990: Aug 21, 2011 11:27:12 am
      Absolutely delighted with the result, great to get 3 points at the Emirates not getting carried away the performances was average and we will never play against a more depleted lacking in confidence Arsenal side.

But look we got the 3 points now for Bolton next week, would like to see us raise the game for that match
      Have to agree to disagree for the sake of positivity, the performance was a spirited, improved display and to detract from it's qualities hampers further improvement.  
      « Last Edit: Aug 22, 2011 09:10:19 am by stuey »
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #991: Aug 21, 2011 11:31:23 am
      Absolutely delighted with the result, great to get 3 points at the Emirates not getting carried away the performances was average and we will never play against a more depleted lacking in confidence Arsenal side.

But look we got the 3 points now for Bolton next week, would like to see us raise the game for that match

And this Mac Red pretty much sums up the reaction of most of the fans in this thread. No one thinks we played like workd beaters yesterday but it WAS a big deal to get a win away at the gooners no matter who they were missing. Very few are suggesting we're suddenly a shoe-in for the title or any of that rubbish, simply enjoying the fact we played pretty decent and found a way to get a result against a perrenial challenger and top 4 side. The result is FAR FAR FAR more significant than the performance. It will give the lads a big lift and it reminds me of the win at Stanford Bridge early in the 2008-09 season. You will remember that was pretty much the only time we've started a season strongly in recent memory and we went on to have a very good season. In fact, we've started virtually every other season poorly (talking about results here not performances) in the past 8-9 years and have generally found ourselves completely out of touch with the leaders by the end of November which has (always) resulted in pressure from the fans and frustration amongst the senior players so with that in mind I would utterly dispute the ludicrous statement "I'm not too worried about our early season results so long as we're playing well".
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #992: Aug 21, 2011 11:33:53 am
      Agree wins breeds confidence, the players confidence will be up for next week, we needed that result yesterday as Carragher said every one was pretty deflated after the Sunderland match the previous week. And every week we get closer to Gerrards return.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #993: Aug 21, 2011 11:34:29 am
      Just because we have beaten them, it doesn't means that everything was rosy for us ... In fact, it was pretty far from it ... To be honest, I was expecting our 5-man midfield (widely regarded as the strongest and deepest part of our team) to dominate Arsenal's 3-man midfield that was missing Fabregas, Wilshere, Song, Diaby and Rosicky ...

"Just because we have beaten them" is in itself the first step downward and you dwell on the "missing" Arsenal players instead of looking at the positive aspects involving LFC and a glorious start to the season, lighten up ffs.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #994: Aug 21, 2011 11:44:12 am
      Good result today, and I thought a fairly good performance.  After the opening exchanges I thought we generally controlled the game and crucially had the strength on the bench to change the way we were playing once they went down to 10 men.

Although they did not have the greatest games, Carroll and Kuyt did work hard, and this was probably contributory to giving the fresh legs that extra space when they came on against a tiring defense.

I was reminded yesterday just how good Kelly is, and how much more mature he is as a defender than the other young lads.  It is a shame for Flanno (and possible Johnson) that Kelly is so good - I would love him to become another Phil Neal.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #995: Aug 21, 2011 11:54:43 am
      "Just because we have beaten them" is in itself the first step downward and you dwell on the "missing" Arsenal players instead of looking at the positive aspects involving LFC and a glorious start to the season, lighten up ffs.

You see, I am not a great fan of the "yo-yo" philosophy ... I was not too bothered about the last week's result, and I have tried to look at the positives and negatives from that match ... I am doing the same with yesterdays' match ... Once you get to have a more balanced approach to our games, you don't really jump from depression into euphoria, depending on the result ...
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011 12:06:26 pm by Macedonian_Red »
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #996: Aug 21, 2011 11:55:07 am
      I missed the match unfortunately and managed to avoid the score until MOTD last night, when the beer was already cracked!!  Fantastic result.  I think the fact Arsenal had people out is neither here nor their, as some of their reserves still play with that quick tempo (6-3 at Anfield anyone?!).  Not yesterday however.

From the highlights it looked like Pepe had little to do and Arsenal didn't really have that many shots.  I think the most surprising (and pleasing) stat I saw was the we bossed the possession (55%) and seemed to just be able to walk through them when they were down to ten men.  3-4 years back, Arsenal were still formidable with ten on the pitch - apparently not anymore.

Again, only going on the highlights, Enrique was brilliant, attacking and having Theo 'I want to be a striker when I grow up' Walcott in his pocket.  Bringing on Suarez and Meireles was a masterstroke and I guess that was the plan to 'wear' Arsenal down and then tear them apart at the end, sending off or not.

All in all, very happy with the result!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #997: Aug 21, 2011 12:21:18 pm

They did dominate possesion, at the Emirates where we scored 2 goals and conceded none.
      Its a results business and that was a fantastic result and to be anything less than fullsome in praise of the job done is quite honestly pathetic.
      Its a new season with a lot of new players playing there 2nd game and to listen to some of the comments about the team in general and Carrol and Kuyt in particular is very disheartening.
      Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #998: Aug 21, 2011 12:29:33 pm
      You see, I am not a great fan of the "yo-yo" philosophy ... I was not too bothered about the last week's result, and I have tried to look at the positives and negatives from that match ... I am doing the same with yesterdays' match ... Once you get to have a more balanced approach to our games, you don't really jump from depression into euphoria, depending on the result ...

Well you carry on being Mr Methodical but for me, beating the gooners on their patch for the 1st time in 11 years left me feeling nothing other than Euphoric. I was (and still am) absolute buzzing about the result and this is what makes football the greatest game on the planet.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #999: Aug 21, 2011 01:08:33 pm
      Mac red with your undoubted enthusiasm and methodical approach i bet your a huge bundle of fun to go to the game with. :(
      Always aways
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #1000: Aug 21, 2011 01:19:02 pm
        Whew!We leave Emirates with 3 points!That in itself gives LFC fans something to grasp ahold of and smile about,in relation to where we can expect to be in the standings at seasons' end.For the past decade if we got a point there,that was it.
        Away?Pissing down with rain?"Emirates,hope we get something." build up before game mentality?A team with a midfield that consists of players still finding out how to best utilize strengths in each other?Have any of the negetive posters here ever been on a football pitch?FANTASTIC RESULT LADS!
        The LB problem we've had has completely disappeared.Enrique,with Downing in front of him will tear apart anything before them!When Walcott was subbed,he probably thanked Wenger and sat to wonder wtf happened.IMO we still have a problem at RB-what to do with Johnson now that Kelly again proves himself.After Arsenal saw how deep Walcott was in Enriques pocket,they tried attacking down their left side...to no avail!Well done Kelly.He must be constantly listening to JC on the pitch in training,matches,postmatch video etc.,because it is running like a well oiled machine on that side (which is great;who better to learn from-just imagine if Sami was there to?)I've always said GJ could play a wide midfield role(wing)...worth a go anyone?
         Sorry,but still not convinced with Henderson.Was really hoping to see Aquilani on the team sheet but KK knows a hell of alot more than me about team selection and it paid off.
         Because a player is tall,the ball played to him does not always have to be at his head!Always thought this when we had Crouch(he had great ability to chest the ball under control,before letting it drop to his knee and choose to swivell either direction)and think the same with Carroll.His height gives us extra dimension on deadball options-long,deep balls he can head back into the middle causing defense to turn in circles vs the front post nod-ins to Suarez and Charlie Adams can deliver!-but would really like to see more passing of balls on the ground to him.
        Love the fact that we are having trouble with team selection because of so much talent,wait'll Stevie returns,Christ another headache who to drop ;D,vs the last few seasons screaming to get Poulson or Koncheskey(sp)or Voronin off the pitch.
        Where your Liverpool Football Club jerseys with your head high!Never bad mouth any of our players when discussing a match with a non-Red.F*** em,walk away first.This season,all teams in the Prem will know our song-"We'll be comin,we'll be comin"-cause thy'll be witnessing it as we sing it!
                            It never felt bad,but it sure feels GREAT to be a Red!
                                                            YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1001: Aug 21, 2011 01:31:27 pm

I am not a disciple of the "yo-yo" phenomenon myself and in fact had great difficulty mastering the pain in the arse things as a kid.
      The vast majority were cautiously optimistic with our first game and to mutate that to the "depressed"  description is mischievous.
      Given that the majority were not in a manic depressive state in fact quite the opposite going into yesterday's game, the three pointer was accepted joyfully - nothing exaggarated or out of order about that, maybe it is your idea of the correct balance that needs scrutinising.  
      Always aways
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #1002: Aug 21, 2011 01:53:10 pm
         Forgot to mention this:

There was a young man named Frimpong,
          Who's haircut went so very wrong,
          He tackled too hard,
          Got a red card,
          And now he's suspended like Song.
       That gave me a chuckle.
       Other thing,last week I went to a betting shop to drop a bet on Luis to win the Golden Boot.While there,asked about that coupled with Liverpool Football Club winning the Prem-the odds,last week were 51-1,this before season kicked off.Don't know what they are now,but if anyone checks,posts todays odds,maybe they'll still be high enough to drop a bet and skip out on 2 pints;heavy sacrifice.Wish i had thought to post the odds sooner.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #1003: Aug 21, 2011 05:32:56 pm
      What a result. I watched the game in a pub in Padstow Cornwall the place erupted when Ramsey scored. Scousers here Scousers there Scousers every f***in where! Loved it we deserved it all day long.
      We done lads Enrique was awesome
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1004: Aug 21, 2011 08:53:22 pm
      I am not a disciple of the "yo-yo" phenomenon myself and in fact had great difficulty mastering the pain in the arse things as a kid.
      The vast majority were cautiously optimistic with our first game and to mutate that to the "depressed"  description is mischievous.
      Given that the majority were not in a manic depressive state in fact quite the opposite going into yesterday's game, the three pointer was accepted joyfully - nothing exaggerated or out of order about that, maybe it is your idea of the correct balance that needs scrutinising.  

Oooo.
      You are awful...
                  but I like you.
       ;D
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #1005: Aug 21, 2011 09:13:29 pm
      What impressed me the most yesterday was our full backs. Both physically powerful, fast and ultra competent offensively and defensively.  Both are extremely difficult to beat 1 on 1. When was the last time we had that?  It cuts out the supply to the opposition strikers unless they go long or go through the middle which isn't wise as that area is normally congested.   Two terrific full backs in Kelly and Enrique. Kelly should be our number 1 right back
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011 09:21:22 pm by Burdogcallingbat21 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1006: Aug 21, 2011 10:19:50 pm

Well said stuey,direct and to the point.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #1007: Aug 21, 2011 10:28:40 pm
      Watched this game twice already.

It is ridiculous that folks on here are trashing Andy Carroll and implying that he is a waste of transfer funds. He made a good showing of himself.

He does not receive enough protection from the referee too.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1008: Aug 21, 2011 10:31:35 pm

it is ridiculous that folks on here are trashing Andy Carroll. He made a good showing of himself.

Same, he made himself available coming short and did hold the ball up well when needed, like once or twice but he was too static in the box, Enrique whipped in a couple of crosses to the near post and Andy just stood there, i am not sure if he is fully fit yet.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1009: Aug 21, 2011 11:28:52 pm

It is ridiculous that folks on here are trashing Andy Carroll and implying that he is a waste of transfer funds. He made a good showing of himself.

He does not receive enough protection from the referee too.

Totally agree there mate. When i look at Carroll i see a very good young striker with bags of potential.

Other fans see a suitcase with £35 million quid inside it and expect instant miracles.

Patience is a virtue bestowed on the few.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #1010: Aug 21, 2011 11:35:49 pm
      delighted to have won at the Emirates! its been a while to have beaten Arsenal away! Just love the way skysports and other newspaper don't give credit to Liverpool's performance and focusing on how Arsenal were depleted, FFS they had Varmaleen, Nasri, Walcott, Arshavin, Van Persie, Kosceilny and Sagna all starting! All b*llox to me! We were in the same situation last season at the Emirates remember? we had young Flanno and Robinson playing and a depleted looking lineup and we still managed a draw.

I thought Martin Kelly and Jose Enrique were the best of the bunch, Kelly dominated Arshavin and Enrique did excellently well against Walcott. Carroll worked VERY VERY hard, his workrate was unbelievable and he held the ball well too, but he did not get enough service and sometimes had to go deep to pick the ball up and I'm sure if you pair him up with Meireles and Suarez we will see better of him.

I thought Kenny pulled off a masterstroke substitution when Frimpong got sent off, Meireles and Suarez added more invention and creativity into our side and it worked! and believe me that Kenny Dalglish is one of those managers who won't let his players get carried away.

onwards and upwards YNWA
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #1011: Aug 22, 2011 12:16:57 am
      Very important win,if like me yer live "darn sarf".Bragging rights seemed a bit hollow tho (Arsenal fans I know seem to be expecting it)Still so happy.
      On a sad note! Reading some negative views,aimed at individuals on here.(F****n glad we DID win).Well done KK and ALL the lads.

IKKWT.

Quick Reply