Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Do you care about the League Cup?

Yes
      (96.8%)
      No
      (2.4%)
      Indifferent
      (0.8%)

Who cares about the League Cup?

Read 23901 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Who cares about the League Cup?
      Reply #253: Jan 26, 2012 08:42:54 am
      No but unfortunately winning the Carling Cup does not bring the bonuses of Champions League football, more money into the club and a higher calibre player to be more attracted to join.

Obviously delighted to be going to Wembley but what would be a greater catalyst for success:
      Winning the Carling Cup and coming sixth
      OR
      Losing and coming 4th?

While winning the league cup may not bring the financial rewards that top 4 does, I think it gives players a taste for success that a top 4 finish can't match. Certainly a lot of teams that have gone on to greater glories started with winning the league cup. Leeds in the 60's, Forest in the seventies, maybe not Liverpool in the eighties(?) but certainly the mancs in the nineties and Chelsea in the noughties.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #254: Jan 26, 2012 08:45:59 am
      I mean, I don't think it's a Mickey Mouse trophy at all. I was just saying what my friends say to me.

My Man United friendss are laughing and calling it a Mickey Mouse trophy because they are knocked out of it and because we have a chance of winning it but when they are still in it, they will come and say "A trophy is a trophy" to me.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #255: Jan 26, 2012 08:48:30 am
      Agree with both the comments above.

I'm not saying we can't get 4th. I was being hypothetical. It's great for the club obviously.

Winning trophies becomes a habit. A habit becomes an addiction and hopefully if we win one trophy we will be in Wembley come May again (touch wood) ;)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #256: Jan 26, 2012 08:49:20 am
      I mean, I don't think it's a Mickey Mouse trophy at all. I was just saying what my friends say to me.

My Man United friendss are laughing and calling it a Mickey Mouse trophy because they are knocked out of it and because we have a chance of winning it but when they are still in it, they will come and say "A trophy is a trophy" to me.

That's football fans for ya. I'd nearly be the same !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #257: Jan 26, 2012 08:55:32 am

Your manc friends are talking complete bollox Ad, they would be made up with Mickey Mouse's cup or anyone's cup right now.
      Any trophy would do for the plastic people that are contained in parts of the old toilet, the theatre of muffled screams.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #258: Jan 26, 2012 08:59:06 am
      What I find incredible and unique in the whole 'small trophy' thing is that we are the champions of this cup having won it 7 times and Villa are next with 5. We can win this game against Cardiff and increase it to 8 furthering our stance that the league cup is our competition! Not to mention the record four in a row that nobody will come close to for a while. I don't think it matters what any other person says, if they were going for their 8th league cup they would be backing it like anything.

I reckon this Utd game on the weekend is super important too as they have more FA cups than us and its another solid, solid chance at a trophy  this season. Don't think it will hinder our race for Champions League football at this stage. We can see with how Kenny lined up in all these cup games what he is like (for those that weren't around the first time round) he will put out the best team he can and truly take games once at a time, all with the same importance. Our fittest men will always take the field and we'll always line up best to accommodate them it seems. Suarez was in blistering form so why not play him in the early ones, whilst Carroll came in slowly and is now actually looking good, might be gunning for a start and huge impact against the Mancs, he did do well against the Blueshites and looks ready to finally have some luck go his way. I think the big occasion is what he will really have hunger for and Liverpool will capture that soon if not already.

I back Kenny 100% and he's got us a cup final already.. :D Wonder who will actually start, it will be very interesting.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #259: Jan 26, 2012 09:00:40 am
      Winning trophies becomes a habit. A habit becomes an addiction and hopefully if we win one trophy we will be in Wembley come May again (touch wood) ;)

I am expecting Carroll to take us to Wembley this year ...... he just needs to pass his PSV licence  :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #260: Jan 26, 2012 09:17:17 am
      I am expecting Carroll to take us to Wembley this year ...... he just needs to pass his PSV license.  :)
      He'd have no probs with the theory but they would have to make their way back from Cornwall when he misses the target entirely.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #261: Jan 26, 2012 09:24:48 am
      Shame I wont be able to go as tickets will be hard to get for this one....
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #262: Jan 26, 2012 09:31:04 am
      It's not a Mickey Mouse trophy at all but it is a trophy who's importance/prestige can alter for the big clubs depending on their situation. In 2005 we were having a torrid season in the league when we expected to be doing better, we'd  just lost Owen and were shi...t scared of losing Stevie. I don't think many were too bothered (or as bothered) about the League Cup at the time but circumstances change. The club and fans have had a torrid couple of years so this cup run represents the first real green shoots of getting back where we belong and I think we are all hoping it's a springboard to a great season and greater seasons thereafter.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012 10:13:08 am by Scottbot »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #263: Jan 26, 2012 09:35:33 am
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #264: Jan 26, 2012 10:29:56 am
      I DO!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #265: Jan 26, 2012 10:32:08 am
      Not me, couldn't care less about it. ;)
      worzelgummidge
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #266: Jan 26, 2012 10:41:55 am
      the league cup doesnt carry as much prestige as say the f.a cup or even the european cups and doesnt generate as much money from winning it but end of days guys its ANOTHER possible trophy in the bulging trophy cabinet at anfield.

i for one would be delighted to win it and absolutely delighted for kenny, who knows we may even beat the other mancs yet and do a cup double :)
      panagiotismagoula
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      • liverpool is and will be the biggest club ever
      Reply #267: Jan 26, 2012 10:45:02 am
      i do!!!! let's start the second assault on Wembley! ;)
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #268: Jan 26, 2012 12:39:44 pm
      It just feels damn good to be in a final again :)
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #269: Jan 26, 2012 01:42:14 pm
      I care, and if Gerrard and the team are lucky enough, and play well enough, to lift the trophy at Wembley, then I think it is safe to say that every Liverpool fan in the stadium will care

Hopefully Kenny's first trophy of his 2nd reign
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #270: Jan 26, 2012 01:45:46 pm
      Something I just noticed here... the Merseyside Derby was scheduled to 25 February... the Carling Cup final will be on 26 February... surely the derby will have to be re-scheduled then, no idea to when though
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #271: Jan 26, 2012 01:54:14 pm
      Yeah, it's changed to "postponed" now :/
      MsGerrard
      Reply #272: Jan 27, 2012 12:00:38 am
      We beat (what I assume were) full strength Exeter and Brighton sides, beat a near full strength Chelsea team away, then beat City's strongest possible side over two legs.  They were missing Yaya, Kompany, Kolo and Balotelli, but meh, these things happen.  I am made up.  Roll on to Wembley!

You forgot beating Stoke at the Brittania for the first time as well, Suarez two magical goals  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #273: Jan 27, 2012 01:07:38 am
      Assuming we make the final, it'll have a knock effect with the derby against Everton. Everton due at Anfield on the 25th of Feb, League Cup final due on the 26th.

Well we did make the final and it will affect the Derby.

From what I've heard today off a season-ticket holding Everton fan is if both Merseyside clubs are knocked out the FA Cup this weekend, the Derby will take place on the 18th Feb which is scheduled for the FA Cup fifth round. It's likely that police will already be on stand by for that weekend on the chance one, if not both, Merseyside clubs progress and get a home draw. So the security side of matters could already be in place, this also could be total bollocks as it's come from her after she's been told by someone blah blah blah.

But wouldn't be a better way to go into the League Cup final than a Merseyside Derby, though I'd prefer the Derby be in the FA Cup itself as that'd mean we'd of twatted United an all this Saturday.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #274: Jan 27, 2012 01:24:07 am
      If tou ask me in terms of confidence and team spirit winning the carling cup is as good as winning the FA cup.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #275: Jan 27, 2012 09:14:11 am
      Quote from Scottbot
      It's not a Mickey Mouse trophy at all but it is a trophy who's importance/prestige can alter for the big clubs depending on their situation. In 2005 we were having a torrid season in the league when we expected to be doing better, we'd  just lost Owen and were shi...t scared of losing Stevie. I don't think many were too bothered (or as bothered) about the League Cup at the time but circumstances change. The club and fans have had a torrid couple of years so this cup run represents the first real green shoots of getting back where we belong and I think we are all hoping it's a springboard to a great season and greater seasons thereafter.

It's a fantastic competition, which we have had many great nights in, not only in years we won it. Beating the mancs in 85, Fulham in 86, the small club in 87 when Rush scored in the last minute, Arsenal in 88 after 3 replays, Fulham in 93, and a host of others.

The lack of glamour and cash doesn't bother me, better try to win everything than concentrate on x and y  and end up with nothing, the policy which has seen 5 years of failure. Hopefully it will end next month. CL or no CL, I'll be wanting to win it next year too.

Want to play the small club at home as late as possible in a season, so April will do nicely. They can wait until we're ready. Ryanair flight fares to/from Liverpool for the original date have shrunk to about 20% of what they were before we beat City.   :D

Quick Reply