Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool FC to open an academy in India

Read 9100 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Re: Liverpool FC to open an academy in India
      Reply #46: Aug 24, 2011 01:07:48 am
      ^ And countries with plenty of teams already who pick them up and sell them off at decent prices to European clubs.

You think Liverpool can go in and out muscle South America's already-in-place youth systems?

Very much doubt it's going to happen.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #47: Aug 24, 2011 02:25:09 am
      ^ And countries with plenty of teams already who pick them up and sell them off at decent prices to European clubs.

You think Liverpool can go in and out muscle South America's already-in-place youth systems?

Very much doubt it's going to happen.

Well, many italian and spanish clubs have agreements with local clubs and have "unofficial" academies. Dont see why a strong famous club cant open a proper one to scout for talent. Believe me its possible

It has more to do with the English reservations regarding south american players succeeding in the EPL than anything else...hence I dont seem to find reasons other than marketing for establishing in India. To be honest Id rather open one in Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, or even South Africa

But who am i to speak, after all, im sure the people behind this move are more qualified and knowlegeadble than me so never my whatever i wrote, just an opinion
      Bier
      Reply #48: Aug 24, 2011 05:10:13 am
      Well, many italian and spanish clubs have agreements with local clubs and have "unofficial" academies. Dont see why a strong famous club cant open a proper one to scout for talent. Believe me its possible

It has more to do with the English reservations regarding south american players succeeding in the EPL than anything else...hence I dont seem to find reasons other than marketing for establishing in India. To be honest Id rather open one in Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, or even South Africa

But who am I to speak, after all, im sure the people behind this move are more qualified and knowlegeadble than me so never my whatever I wrote, just an opinion
      I think compared to Italy and Spain, South America isn't as interesting for English clubs because of the work permit issue. But you're right in that it isn't too hard to start something, but to get something out of it isn't as easy. There's 'independent' academies there where you can pretty much put youth players and have them developed. I know the Mancs do that. Then you just need a European feeder club to play them untill they get a permit.

But I agree that the Indian academy is more likely to have commercial reasoning behind it than actually sportive ones. But at the same time countries like China and India are sleeping giants when it comes to football. And it may well pay off in the distant future to invest there now. Who knows.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #49: Aug 24, 2011 06:12:55 am
      I know there isn't much footballing talent around in India at the moment but believe me the interest in the game especially the EPL is huge.I know there are millions of people especially youngsters out here who remain awake till late in the night to watch their favorite clubs play.We don't have a footballing tradition in this country but the interest in the game is surely picking up by the day and clubs can certainly use it to their benefit. The only problem is we have a dearth of good coaches and academies in the country so if the kids can get the chance to get trained by some of the best in the world,there is no reason why we can't produce players for the future. 
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #50: Aug 24, 2011 08:38:01 am
      I think this is a great opportunity for LFC - not just for the obvious money spinning implications...

I have read a few posts about us opening up academies in South America or Africa and the large number of players coming from these regions and I disagree. Look at Brazil for example...

If we were to open an academy in Brazil we would not only be competing against not only established clubs - Santos, Sao Paulo, Interacional or Flamenco to name a few..! These clubs traditionally have links with European teams (on the sly or not) where players move across at an early age. If not they are bulked up and farmed out for what in the area are massive transfer fee's, these growing each year to almost European levels (Ronaldinho to PSG was circa £5Million in 2001 - Neymar has been talked about going for almost 6 times that fee!). So opening an academy would mean competing in a saturated market with inflated prices.

India has a population of 1Billion people and no way the infrastructure of the Brazilian league. So we could have the best prospects in the country coming to us, exclusively. With that many people finding 3 types of player will be by no means easy, but certainly achievable. These 3 types are - Decent; squad players that can be brought over, loaned and sold for a few bob. Good; fringe players with potential - sold or kept. The 3rd is World Class - what the academy dreams of, perhaps 1 every 5 years or more (again even with Brazil you would compare these to Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo etc).

This could also open up the English market too. I have always wondered why no English-Indians are playing in the prem?!

From what I know of the Indian culture and people there will be some absolute geniuses out there! For me a great move by the club and we could see some real talent coming our way in a few years!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #51: Aug 25, 2011 03:37:28 pm
      I dont believe that population is in direct correlation with talent.

In fact i believe that there is a "special something", some people-races have that makes them great at a specific sport. That happens in every sport, and football is not the exeption.

The Maoris are great in Rugby, African Americans are fantastic for basketball, Brazilians in football, etc etc (im not speaking in absolute terms here)

And the counterpart is that i dont believe some DNAs are suited for some sports and I do believe the environment plays a huge part. Some things cant be taught in academies

There is always the expetion to the rule, and maybe some day there will be a world class african swimmer, or a German Rugbier, and an Indian or Chineese  footballer but i dont think it will be on a consistent basis

Just my opinion, but as i said im probably wrong. It has happened before :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Aug 25, 2011 08:54:53 pm
      I dont believe that population is in direct correlation with talent.

In fact I believe that there is a "special something", some people-races have that makes them great at a specific sport. That happens in every sport, and football is not the exeption.

The Maoris are great in Rugby, African Americans are fantastic for basketball, Brazilians in football, etc etc (im not speaking in absolute terms here)

And the counterpart is that I dont believe some DNAs are suited for some sports and I do believe the environment plays a huge part. Some things cant be taught in academies

There is always the expetion to the rule, and maybe some day there will be a world class african swimmer, or a German Rugbier, and an Indian or Chineese  footballer but I dont think it will be on a consistent basis

Just my opinion, but as I said im probably wrong. It has happened before :)

A very interesting post.

There have always been different races that have qualities for different sports. IE  Tall cross country runners......short high body mass low centre of gravity sprinters.
      Yes there are exceptions to the rule but you dont find many Bangla Desh Premier League Footballers.

With one billion people you are going to find some jewels in the crown by the numbers game ...... and trial a lot of wannabees.

Good move.

Perhaps India need a diversion and something else to focus on after the Test Series. ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #53: Aug 26, 2011 09:23:01 am
      Maybe we will send some of our cowboys who we cannot get rid of to the Indian academy.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #54: Aug 26, 2011 09:40:54 am
      Indians are passionate people, they take this passion within cricket. If we are able to stir a great interest into football to the youngsters through this academy - I believe you'll find a great number of talent being brought to the fore. I agree with a lot that has been said here, we're products of our environment. In India they live and breathe cricket and that is why their players are of that class. If we really are able to inject that passion for football within the populace there, it could really become a world  leading nation in the not so distant future as the indian culture is discipline and dedicated.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #55: Aug 26, 2011 09:41:44 am
      I agree with the regional sport theory to a degree... However the reason that Indians are good at cricket, why Maoris are good at rugger Canadians Ice Hockey has less to do with DNA and more to do with what sport is big in the country. These countries 'spechalise' in these sports and other's get little room.

Take football in the U.S. - as it grows look how many players are now English known compaired to 10 years ago. This could be the same in India with football - just look at how many players from the far east have now now made it to Europe!

I also agree with EuroRed - if you throw enough balls in the air you'r bound to catch a few! Numbers alone will bring a degree of success. I refuse to beleive that in a population that big there is not 1 amazing player just waiting to play for LFC...

Quick Reply