Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

John Flanagan
      (0.7%)
      Andy Carroll
      (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (4.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      (0.7%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (1.4%)
      Danny Wilson
      (1.4%)
      Jack Robinson
      (0.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      (81.1%)
      Pepe Reina
      (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0%)
      Jay Spearing
      (6.8%)

Exeter 1-3 Liverpool - post match "is right lad"

Read 51634 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,653 posts | 6948 
      Re: Exeter 1-3 Liverpool - post match "is right lad"
      Reply #598: Aug 24, 2011 11:51:53 pm
      Just seen the replay of our first goal from the side angle.  Henderson sends the cross in then he watches it and does a little jump as if he is heading it in.  Classic.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #599: Aug 24, 2011 11:53:08 pm
      Just seen the replay of our first goal from the side angle.  Henderson sends the cross in then he watches it and does a little jump as if he is heading it in.  Classic.

HD - so much better than streams :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,653 posts | 6948 
      Reply #600: Aug 24, 2011 11:58:15 pm

On BBC1. Didn't see that angle when it was on Sky before.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #601: Aug 24, 2011 11:59:53 pm
      On BBC1. Didn't see that angle when it was on Sky before.

Dumped sky a while back, so I rely on BBC or ITV for HD these days.

FSC HD on sopcast played through VLC is pretty good, but can't beat full HD
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #602: Aug 25, 2011 12:00:34 am
      He's applied himself well imo, 5-6 months younger than Carroll and has less of an opportunity than Carroll has had throughout his Career because of the clubs he's been in...

Just throwing it out there, but Ngog has played 3x more Premier league games than Carroll, yet Andy already has more goals.

So I don't buy in to this less opportunities thing. When Ngog has played (Bar against European giants Trabzonspor) he has shown very little to suggest that he will ever become a top striker. Carroll, while incredibly raw and needing improvements in some areas of his game does seem to the ability there that can make him in to a top striker. Not the class of Suarez, but undoubtedly top striker for this club.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2011 12:06:23 am by Dannylfc »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #603: Aug 25, 2011 12:03:32 am
      how many sub appearances has N'gog made throughout his career compared to Carroll?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #604: Aug 25, 2011 12:05:45 am
      Just throwing it out there, but Ngog has played 3x more Premier league games than Carroll, yet Andy already has more goals.

So I don't buy in to this less opportunities thing.

How many games from the bench? A sh*t load more which which will out weigh the stats and make that discuss very biased indeed.

Not saying N'gog's a better player because he isn't but hose stats don't mean a great deal.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #605: Aug 25, 2011 12:08:35 am
      If a player is given the opportunity to play games consecutively at a high level, it's inevitable for them to improve.

However, having a start stop career, whether it's injuries or through subs doesn't necessary help progression. Babel and Drenthe are a good example .. both huge potential but failed thus far because of the latter imo.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #606: Aug 25, 2011 12:16:04 am
      Players earn their opportunities by performing in training and then taking those opportunities when they arise.

Carroll did that respectively at Newcastle, then in the Premier League, which ultimately earnt him his transfer

Ngog hasn't done that when hes been given opportunities, hence why hes on his way out.

Babel failed not because he had a lack of first team opportunities, but because he couldn't channel the ability he had. The word headless chicken springs to mind.

On a serious note, we're not actually comparing Carroll & Ngog here are we?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #607: Aug 25, 2011 12:18:42 am

So I don't buy in to this less opportunities thing. When Ngog has played (Bar against European giants Trabzonspor) he has shown very little to suggest that he will ever become a top striker. Carroll, while incredibly raw and needing improvements in some areas of his game does seem to the ability there that can make him in to a top striker. Not the class of Suarez, but undoubtedly top striker for this club.

Also, I still feel N'gog is a better footballer than Carroll, just Carroll has had games to build on his progression and become somewhat established, where as N'gog has always been a reserve or sub starter.

As for which is better, who knows, if N'gog had been playing for a weaker team with 1st team starts like Carroll has and Carroll at a top clubs but never really getting starts, would N'gog be seen as a better player?

I do like N'gog, I see what he has but it's obvious he needs a weaker club to kick start his progress like how Carroll did.

On a serious note, we're not actually comparing Carroll & Ngog here are we?

No, I wasn't, I just just talking about the somewhat negativity towards Carroll and comparing it to what N'gog gets on this forums.
      arturs
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #608: Aug 25, 2011 01:01:47 am
      Just f**k off.

How people like you can claim to be fans of this great club is beyond me.

Ashamed that people would actually want one of our players to get injured. F***ing bewildering stuff.

Ahaha ok well sir maybe you should understand im kidding.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #609: Aug 25, 2011 01:54:56 am
      Glad kenny put more or less a strong team We have been beaten by minnows before with a weakened team.
      Saurez is an incredible player who can inspire others, and turn a game on its head.Hope he wins scoring race of the premier division.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #610: Aug 25, 2011 02:50:46 am
      Job done, got the name into the hat which is what we were gunning for. Not the great display of football but really 2nd half was a walk in the park, never had to take it up from 2nd gear.

Suarez was great as always, Carroll took his goal well and hope the goals will start coming in. Thought Hendo shows some good things though still not buying into him as a RM. Spearing and Maxi put in a good effort tonight to make a claim into getting in the first team.

Thought Adam was poor today, really never got his passing going. Set pieces were alright but I expected more from him. Flanno again didn't have a good showing, not writing him off or anything but he was playing better in his games last year than this one.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #611: Aug 25, 2011 03:05:49 am
      Good professional performance from the lads without spending too much energy. Wasn't always pretty but the main thing was getting the result and avoiding the banana skin so well done boys. Nice to see Andy get a goal and Suarez was exceptional, every time he got the ball he stood out as the most creative spark on the pitch, outstanding and easily MotM.

Also get well soon Raul, looked like nothing at all.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #612: Aug 25, 2011 03:12:23 am
      We would have won without Suarez on the field but his trickery and other exploits is scarily good.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #613: Aug 25, 2011 03:38:36 am
      Good performance, made it into the next round which was the most important thing. Nice to get a few goals and for a few different lads to get on the scoresheet :)  Would have been nice to get through the game with no injuries or a clean sheet but at least neither were too serious.

Reina solid, collected the crosses with ease, goal conceded was not his fault.

Skrtel and Wilson done well as a pairing with Wilson having probably his beat game in a LFC shirt for me, strong clearances and not afraid to try pass it out of defence.

Flanagan was solid, maybe a little low on confidence but still done well. I love his willingness to throw in a challenge but more importantly how concistently well he wins those challenges.

Robinson impressed me and was one of our beter players IMO.
      Spearing and Adam done well with Spearing shining in his role, gives us plenty of energy. Always shows for the ball and keen to lay it off again in playing forwards. The amount of times he was asking for people to show for the ball to receive a pass from him was gas.

Maxi done ok, tried to pass and move, nice finish for the goal. He grafts too and puts a good shift in for a winger.

Henderson was poor I reckon. Clearly not a winger. His first touch was awful tonight. When he tucked inside he played it neat and did ok but out wide, just no. He is only a kid so won't try to be too harsh on him but he'll need to improve if he wants to stay in the team. He did look short of confidence around the hour mark as nothing he tried seemed to come off, unfortunately for him.

Suarez wasnt great ;) I think everything that can be saud about him tonight probably already has. Very impressive. Very hungry player (literarly :-P) which is always nice to see.

Caroll was ok. Same old for me, link up play was good just his acceleration sbd first touch are not the best. Played decent tho and always tried. Nice finish too.

Downing is the winger we crave isent he. Direct running, speed, crosses. I like him. PerhPs should have done better with his chance on goal.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #614: Aug 25, 2011 05:41:23 am
      Fernando Torres sold for 50m

Andy Carroll bought for 35m

Fernando Torres Chelsea goals: 1

Andy Carroll Liverpool goals: 3

Fernando Torres Age: 27

Andy Carroll Age: 22

These are simple facts to prove a MASSIVE point, the people who are expecting the world (Be Torres from the Tyne) of Andy are nobs. The lad was brought in because of his potential and although the price tag was high, realistically we ROBBED Chelsea blind selling Torres for 50m. Give the lad time to mature and work on his game, just like every other player under the age of 23 we bought this summer. Andy is an intelligent player who gets himself into good positions but his touch lets him down on occasion, he will get better, he will improve, stop mounting so much pressure on Andy when the team as a whole is playing quite well!
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #615: Aug 25, 2011 05:45:07 am
      I haven't read through the thread yet, and I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but we HAVE to play Maxi with Suarez. The two play extremely well together and I think Suarez is a big reason why he scored all those goals late last season. I would bench Hendo for Maxi against Bolton on Saturday.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #616: Aug 25, 2011 06:56:37 am
      Glad KK played a strong line-up. Clearly signifies intention this season. LFC want to challenge on all fronts.
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #617: Aug 25, 2011 06:59:25 am
      When are we going to find out which team we are facing in the next round ?
      And where could i watch extended match highlights ?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #618: Aug 25, 2011 07:06:07 am
      Fernando Torres sold for 50m

Andy Carroll bought for 35m

Fernando Torres Chelsea goals: 1

Andy Carroll Liverpool goals: 3

Fernando Torres Age: 27

Andy Carroll Age: 22

These are simple facts to prove a MASSIVE point, the people who are expecting the world (Be Torres from the Tyne) of Andy are nobs. The lad was brought in because of his potential and although the price tag was high, realistically we ROBBED Chelsea blind selling Torres for 50m. Give the lad time to mature and work on his game, just like every other player under the age of 23 we bought this summer. Andy is an intelligent player who gets himself into good positions but his touch lets him down on occasion, he will get better, he will improve, stop mounting so much pressure on Andy when the team as a whole is playing quite well!

Don't forget Andy Carroll has also played less games with many of them just to regain his fitness.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #619: Aug 25, 2011 07:11:36 am
      We should play Raul Maxi and Suarez together they encourage much better football. This agenda sh*te makes me f***in laugh as well.  We are all Liverpool fans here is it not possible some people can have concerns about certain players. I for one want every Liverpool player to be a success ain't going to stop me pointing out concerns. To be honest if everyone was posting the same stuff this would be an extremely boring place. I wouldn't call posters negative a lot of the time. Id personally call myself a realistic.  If I want to do my back up no matter what sh*te argument I do that today others fans of other clubs. On here we should openly be able to discuss things because in the end we want the same thing
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #620: Aug 25, 2011 07:32:14 am
      I haven't read through the thread yet, and I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but we HAVE to play Maxi with Suarez. The two play extremely well together and I think Suarez is a big reason why he scored all those goals late last season. I would bench Hendo for Maxi against Bolton on Saturday.

I agree with this. I always thought Maxi was an average player, but Suarez bought the best out of him, and he's good as a squad player. Should be given more game time in the Premier League.

BUT, and while I don't want to take away from this win, it's very clear that we're overly dependant on Suarez. We haven't scored a goal this season when he wasn't involved in some way, and we can't keep pushing that under the rug. We need other players to step up.

Quick Reply