Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

John Flanagan
      (0.7%)
      Andy Carroll
      (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (4.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      (0.7%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (1.4%)
      Danny Wilson
      (1.4%)
      Jack Robinson
      (0.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      (81.1%)
      Pepe Reina
      (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0%)
      Jay Spearing
      (6.8%)

Exeter 1-3 Liverpool - post match "is right lad"

Read 51597 times
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Re: Exeter 1-3 Liverpool - post match "is right lad"
      Reply #621: Aug 25, 2011 08:07:57 am
      Good display and nice to see us building up a run without a defeat...

Suarez continues to impress, I just wonder how good he can get? I strongly beleive he could be the 'best striker' in the world - as a team we need to improve to his level.

My only issue's were Carroll and Hendo. Not ability but attitude - they didnt seem to care too much, no tracking back, not putting in a shift in my opinion... But that could be age, maturity or match fitness - im sure Kenny wont have any of it.

Pleased to win, pleased to go through and pleased with the team. Good day at the office!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #622: Aug 25, 2011 08:10:00 am
      Shows the squad improvement from last season that we could make so many changes to the team, and yet still have a teamsheet that would not look out of place at a difficult away league game.

We need to stop trying to hoof it to Carroll - with the squad we have got now, we can have the fluidity of passing and moving we havent had for many a season.

Think we can win the League Cup this season - which will give us confidence in our title tilt !
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #623: Aug 25, 2011 08:27:55 am
       I did not see the match so am in no position to give an opinion on what we did or did not do,however we got the result and that will do for me.Well done to all the REDS who played.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #624: Aug 25, 2011 08:33:13 am
       Same as Billy couldn't get a stream so followed it on the forum, victory is sweet no matter what form it takes mate.
      AlfarinIcebreaker
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #625: Aug 25, 2011 08:44:03 am
      I don't understand why Kenny played Suarez who is clearly in need of a rest - bad decision IMO against such weak opposition. It was vital that Carroll got a goal, you could see how frustrated he was. I hope he builds up on this goal and improves his game - you can see the potential in him.

My other worry is Henderson - he looks awed and overwhelmed - he needs to loosen up and start playing with confidence.

Those two make 50+ M worth of British talent and the pressure is on them - I hope they can cope with it and deliver, otherwise the media will rip them apart. Kenny too.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #626: Aug 25, 2011 08:51:29 am

Those two make 50+ M worth of British talent and the pressure is on them - I hope they can cope with it and deliver, otherwise the media will rip them apart. Kenny too
      What's new? and more importantly no one would give a sh*t what the media say.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #627: Aug 25, 2011 09:12:59 am
      I'm not of the opinion anyone who doesn't like Carroll isn't a proper fan, I wouldn't go so far as saying "supporters" like that.

But what I'm sick of is the same names crop up spouting their same concerns. The fact is it is confirmation bias, they don't like Carroll so they see everything he does as negative. That sort of thing is indicative of people who are determined to see things one way and that kind of stuff isn't what I'd expect from fellow reds.

I don't think he's got a particularly hard time on this board fella. There's been a few whinges but then that's the way of it on an internet forum. We've won two and drawn one so far, including a win away at the Emirates so it's been a pretty solid start to the season BUT tot up the amount of whinging posts about the likes of Henderson, Flanno, Adam and anyone else you'd care to imagine and you can see what a tough bunch us forum scrutinisers are to please. Unfortunately it's the 'win today or else' culture of the modern football fan and that is then followed by the 'well we won today but who didn't do their job in that win?' posting we see after every match.  
      I don't understand why Kenny played Suarez who is clearly in need of a rest - bad decision IMO against such weak opposition. It was vital that Carroll got a goal, you could see how frustrated he was. I hope he builds up on this goal and improves his game - you can see the potential in him.

My other worry is Henderson - he looks awed and overwhelmed - he needs to loosen up and start playing with confidence.

Those two make 50+ M worth of British talent and the pressure is on them - I hope they can cope with it and deliver, otherwise the media will rip them apart. Kenny too.

I disagree, Suarez needs minutes not rest. Despite being comfortably our best player he is still a little short of the sharpness we're use to seeing. The 60 minutes last night would have done him the world of good and I suspect he is now ready to play a full 90 at the weekend. Don't forget he only played 20 at the weekend.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2011 10:02:03 am by Scottbot »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #628: Aug 25, 2011 09:17:53 am
      Luis is a young lad and a long way from burn out.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #629: Aug 25, 2011 09:22:09 am
      Decent performance and result for the Reds, saw the 2nd half in the pub. I thought Suarez played well as usual scoring and making a goal, obviously has a big impact on the side.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #630: Aug 25, 2011 09:23:28 am
      This agenda sh*te makes me f***in laugh as well.  

Mate you're the one who uses the "agenda" accusation more than anyone else on here ;D. I do agree it's nonsense though, no argument there at all.
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #631: Aug 25, 2011 09:25:43 am
      F***ing Skrtel. I had €50 on Liverpool -2 goals at 2/1. Grrrrrrrrr
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #632: Aug 25, 2011 09:27:26 am
      Fernando Torres sold for 50m

Andy Carroll bought for 35m

Fernando Torres Chelsea goals: 1

Andy Carroll Liverpool goals: 3

Fernando Torres Age: 27

Andy Carroll Age: 22

These are simple facts to prove a MASSIVE point, the people who are expecting the world (Be Torres from the Tyne) of Andy are nobs. The lad was brought in because of his potential and although the price tag was high, realistically we ROBBED Chelsea blind selling Torres for 50m. Give the lad time to mature and work on his game, just like every other player under the age of 23 we bought this summer. Andy is an intelligent player who gets himself into good positions but his touch lets him down on occasion, he will get better, he will improve, stop mounting so much pressure on Andy when the team as a whole is playing quite well!

Simple yet brilliantly made point, I think people are expecting everyone to make the same impact as Luis right from the get go which is unrealistic, we need to give Henderson and Carroll a bit of time (don't think we've any worries with Downing or Enrique) and i'm sure Kenny will get the best out of all of the new boys just might take a bit patience on our behalf just look at the whole Lucas saga 
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #633: Aug 25, 2011 09:28:02 am
      We need to recognise that this is Liverpool FC, yes we won the game but we were far from convincing. Bar the goals we weren't  playing sort of free flowing football. It's key to note that most of our attacking play came from counter attacks as oppose to impressing ourselves on Exeter. This cannot continue as once we face better opposition they'll begin to rip our midfield apart. We need cutting edge, we need creativity, we may have the players but they need to show their quality sooner rather than later. I wish them all the best.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #634: Aug 25, 2011 09:40:07 am
      We've won two and lost one so far

Unbeaten Scott, may have felt like a loss against Sunderland but we drew mate :)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #635: Aug 25, 2011 09:59:16 am
      how many man of the match performance is suarez gonna give us? the man is brilliant. i know it was exeter but how many 20m+ players would have given it all for a lowly exeter game?

half the price of torres and for the past 6 motnhs, twice the quality - cheers kenny ;)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #636: Aug 25, 2011 10:02:52 am
      Unbeaten Scott, may have felt like a loss against Sunderland but we drew mate :)

Doh! Felt like a loss the way eveyone went on about it! Have corrected it, it's early!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #637: Aug 25, 2011 10:07:38 am
      Theres a few on here can make a win seem like a loss mate, never mind a draw.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #638: Aug 25, 2011 11:05:16 am
      Was surprised like many with the selection, but this was almost like a preseason game and at this stage of the season has given players a workout rather than burn out.  While it was "only" 3-1 and "only" Exeter, we controlled the game at a stroll, never getting out of low gear.

Still a bit concerned about Carroll's body language, especially after he scored.  Hope his price tag is not playing on his mind too much - the scenario of trying too hard and ending up looking a worse player for it, even after a very well taken goal.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #639: Aug 25, 2011 11:16:30 am
      Still a bit concerned about Carroll's body language, especially after he scored.  Hope his price tag is not playing on his mind too much - the scenario of trying too hard and ending up looking a worse player for it, even after a very well taken goal.

Yea I'm a bit concerned about his body language too. He doesn't look dis-interested, not by any means, he's working hard. But he looks frustrated and looked that way against Arsenal.

Whether that's down to not scoring enough goals in his mind, or the price tag, or that he doesn't like being the target man and decoy for the midfield runners remains to be seen.

Hopefully a couple of more goals and he'll look like a man enjoying his game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #640: Aug 25, 2011 11:17:21 am
      Neck and neck on the Man of the Match poll then...
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #641: Aug 25, 2011 11:32:13 am
      That'll do me...Job done...Lets move on to the next round..and more importantly Bolton at the weekend..
      As far as Andy Carroll's body language I wouldn't worry about it...as Kenny said at the end of the match he couldn't fault the teams application and attitude...even when Charlie Adam was being interviewed with Andy Carroll they both came across very professional and disaplined in their answers..I think Kenny has instilled a "give nothing away" attitude to all the players who may get interviewed on TV especially by anyone from SKY TV...plus the fact the questions the ask on SKY are just ridiculous... >:(
      Admittedly they could smile a little more after scoring a goal for Liverpool FC though...Suarez is the only one who hits a beamer at the moment even when he hasn't scored...
      Good performance though and a comfortable result....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #642: Aug 25, 2011 11:42:18 am
      Its a team game, win as a team lose as a team.Good start to the season I think everyone agrees the CB position could be our weak spot this season lets hope we get it sorted because everywhere else is looking strong. A league Cup win would be great and it must be a target for us.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #643: Aug 25, 2011 11:43:38 am
      Simple yet brilliantly made point, I think people are expecting everyone to make the same impact as Luis right from the get go which is unrealistic, we need to give Henderson and Carroll a bit of time (don't think we've any worries with Downing or Enrique) and I'm sure Kenny will get the best out of all of the new boys just might take a bit patience on our behalf just look at the whole Lucas saga 

Agreed.

BTW. Good game last night, makes a change a manager playing such a strong team, and with some youth mixed in. GOOD TIMES !

Quick Reply