Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?

Read 8098 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?
      Reply #69: Oct 06, 2011 08:31:03 pm
      Let's just see if his thoughts on the matter are still the same come end of Jan eh..I
      In the meantime he needs to weave some of that magic and grab us the winner against Man U next week.... :celebrate:
      let his feet do the talking !!
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 994 posts | 68 
      Reply #70: Oct 06, 2011 09:24:44 pm
      a cup would be very nice thank you very much and top four as well - i would take that this season.
      This time last year ...... no i don't want to even think about it any more.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #71: Oct 06, 2011 09:32:10 pm
      Of course they would want him ... They are not stupid ...

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing him for at least another 2-3 seasons in the red shirt, before he makes his dream move ...

WUM.
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #72: Oct 06, 2011 09:41:52 pm
      I think Suarez will prove himself wrong, when he scores more goals for fun. Lets see where we're at, come December, cause it will give us a good indication as to our chances of a title challenge.

I agree that a top4 spot is more realistic, and should be 1st priority.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #73: Oct 06, 2011 10:39:47 pm

We know that you are a WUM ... No need to remind us continuously ...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #74: Oct 06, 2011 10:57:12 pm
      Leave the sniping out please lads.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #75: Oct 06, 2011 11:13:00 pm
      I think Suarez will prove himself wrong, when he scores more goals for fun. Lets see where we're at, come December, cause it will give us a good indication as to our chances of a title challenge.

I agree that a top4 spot is more realistic, and should be 1st priority.

No, our first priority will be to finish as high as possible and right now, we can still possibly finish 1st which is what we should and what some of of us will be aiming for.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #76: Oct 07, 2011 12:06:54 am
      Of course they would want him ... They are not stupid ...

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing him for at least another 2-3 seasons in the red shirt, before he makes his dream move ...

Proper grammar, please.

His dream move right now is getting in to the box and scoring for Liverpool so until that changes, I have no concerns.

Perfect grammar. The ellipses add a sense of uncertainty which a full stop would not. Absolutely no need to berate someone with EASL, especially when they are correct.

Wheras:

"...Moussa Sissoko if he wants to join your club. They're my picks if your playing an all round CM." (you're)
      "...will be strong as an oxe when he fills his body out..." (ox/oxen)
      "If your going to ride with a pace maker then sit him in front of the rest of the pack..." (you're)

On topic; although this seems like a fairly understandable opinion, I can't imagine he would risk undermining Kenny's aspirations with such spurious claims, surely a mistranslation.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #77: Oct 07, 2011 12:19:52 am
      I would happily take 4th now and a trophy.

It would be progress and it would indicate to players like Suarez that we are going in the right direction. Like Torres, if we are getting close to winning trophies but not actually winning them I see Suarez moving on (hopefully he is not the type to move to a rival) but to keep players like Suarez away from Barca and Madrid we need to be giving them reasons to stay every year.

We cant offer him massive wages like City could, we cant offer him sun like Madrid and nobody can offer as much as Barca these days so we need to offer cups, Champions League football and then hopefully within three or four years under the guidance of Kenny, that long awaited Premier League title.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #78: Oct 07, 2011 12:22:06 am
      Gonna jump in and say I agree entirely, you know, before you get torn apart for not "believing" and being a "bad supporter".
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #79: Oct 07, 2011 05:37:13 am

Perfect grammar. The ellipses add a sense of uncertainty which a full stop would not. Absolutely no need to berate someone with EASL, especially when they are correct.

Wheras:

"...Moussa Sissoko if he wants to join your club. They're my picks if your playing an all round CM." (you're)
      "...will be strong as an oxe when he fills his body out..." (ox/oxen)
      "If your going to ride with a pace maker then sit him in front of the rest of the pack..." (you're)

On topic; although this seems like a fairly understandable opinion, I can't imagine he would risk undermining Kenny's aspirations with such spurious claims, surely a mistranslation.

Mac-red has perfect English so EASL isn't a justifiable argument.

No one with EASL has mastered the art of using a condescending tone.

One full stop. It's in the rules.
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #80: Oct 07, 2011 06:16:16 am
      No, our first priority will be to finish as high as possible and right now, we can still possibly finish 1st which is what we should and what some of of us will be aiming for.

Fair enough, but I don't think that we ruthless enough yet,  to win the title. Anything better than a top4 spot, will be a bonus, and besides, no other  team in the EPL has ever won the title, while finishing 6th the season before.

I'm very much optimistic that our current squad will get us back into the C/L spot, but I'm also trying to be realistic, and not trying to sound negative.  :)
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #81: Oct 07, 2011 06:38:16 am
      I don't want us to guarantee a top 4 place, we must challenge as hard as we can to win the League, Carragher has defined what I mean. In January if we're 3rd with 6-9points from the leaders, we sign 1-3 players and we try to win the league. Suarez is a fighter no doubt about it. We  need to be playing well to attract world class players and hence challenge for trophies,
      Bier
      Reply #82: Oct 07, 2011 07:30:22 am
      Didn't he say not too long ago that we can win the league? Stop reading so much into what is said in the media. he talks with his feet on the field, and that's what matters. There's really no need to worry about what might happen.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #83: Oct 07, 2011 08:58:38 am
      I don't really see what the problem is.  After taking into account the translation element of what is reported, is he not only repeating what has really become the party line this season with respect to realistic ambitions for the club.  How many times in the past few years has this "been our year", and it hasn't?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #84: Oct 07, 2011 10:43:24 am

Nah I agree, if he gets better and better and we aren't top 2 he will want this move we have seen him talk of
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #85: Oct 07, 2011 01:17:28 pm
      Fair enough, but I don't think that we ruthless enough yet,  to win the title. Anything better than a top4 spot, will be a bonus, and besides, no other  team in the EPL has ever won the title, while finishing 6th the season before.

I'm very much optimistic that our current squad will get us back into the C/L spot, but I'm also trying to be realistic, and not trying to sound negative.  :)

No other team had come from three nil down to win a Champions League final, we did. No other English club has won both domestic cups and a European trophy in the same year, ours has.  No other player/manager had won the double in their first, ours did. No other manager won two League titles with two different clubs in the 90s, ours did. It's safe to say this club and this manager does things that no others can.

I'm not saying for certain we will win the League, I'm saying we can and I believe we will - not that we certainly will because unlike some on here I can't tell the future.

I too believe this squad is good enough to get us in the Champions League, I also believe it's good enough to win the League. We've shown we can beat anybody, we beat United, City and Chelsea all last season and Arsenal this year under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish. They're the teams apparently "unreachable". Well since we've beat them and beat them all quite comfortably, I'd say they are not unreachable in the slightest. Out of the top six only Spurs have caused us and Kenny any real headaches, one when we were down to nine men and one at the back end of last year.

I do believe you're being more realistic by saying it's unlikely we'll win the League, more realistic than those who say we won't win the League because that's making out they can tell the future and know for fact what will or won't happen - they don't. Nor do I which I why I say I think we'll win the League rather than saying we most certainly will. It is going to be a tall ask but this club and this manager is used to making tall asks look very easy.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2011 01:33:58 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #86: Oct 07, 2011 01:29:45 pm

No need for putting unrealistic expectations on FSG, Comolli, Kenny and the team ... They have been doing a great job over the past 9 months, and if we continue with the same pace of development, we could be realistic title contenders as soon as the 2012/13 season ... We still need to address at least a couple of positions on the team with top class players, and we need for the 9 new players that have arrived over the past 9 months to be fully integrated into the team ... A top 4 finish and a cup win would be an immense result this season ...
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #87: Oct 07, 2011 03:59:26 pm
      No other team had come from three nil down to win a Champions League final, we did. No other English club has won both domestic cups and a European trophy in the same year, ours has.  No other player/manager had won the double in their first, ours did. No other manager won two League titles with two different clubs in the 90s, ours did. It's safe to say this club and this manager does things that no others can.

I'm not saying for certain we will win the League, I'm saying we can and I believe we will - not that we certainly will because unlike some on here I can't tell the future.

I too believe this squad is good enough to get us in the Champions League, I also believe it's good enough to win the League. We've shown we can beat anybody, we beat United, City and Chelsea all last season and Arsenal this year under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish. They're the teams apparently "unreachable". Well since we've beat them and beat them all quite comfortably, I'd say they are not unreachable in the slightest. Out of the top six only Spurs have caused us and Kenny any real headaches, one when we were down to nine men and one at the back end of last year.

I do believe you're being more realistic by saying it's unlikely we'll win the League, more realistic than those who say we won't win the League because that's making out they can tell the future and know for fact what will or won't happen - they don't. Nor do I which I why I say I think we'll win the League rather than saying we most certainly will. It is going to be a tall ask but this club and this manager is used to making tall asks look very easy.

Some very good points you're making. You're spot on when you say that I think it's unlikely that we'll win the league, cause we definitely need more reinforcements in certain areas.

One major factor is that, if you want to become the Champions, then you have to play as a unit, and we're not playing as a unit, and as long as we're not at that level yet, I honestly can't see us winning it.

I'd agree with challenging yes, but I think we'll fall short in the end. We usually take points off the top guns, but we struggle with the lesser teams, another point that needs to addressed.

I'll 1st eat my shoes, then my hat, and then my family if we pull it off, mate, ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,941 posts | 4996 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #88: Oct 07, 2011 08:39:50 pm

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #89: Oct 07, 2011 09:19:29 pm
      Some very good points you're making. You're spot on when you say that I think it's unlikely that we'll win the league, cause we definitely need more reinforcements in certain areas.

One major factor is that, if you want to become the Champions, then you have to play as a unit, and we're not playing as a unit, and as long as we're not at that level yet, I honestly can't see us winning it.

I'd agree with challenging yes, but I think we'll fall short in the end. We usually take points off the top guns, but we struggle with the lesser teams, another point that needs to addressed.

I'll 1st eat my shoes, then my hat, and then my family if we pull it off, mate, ;D.

Don't agree with the unit comment mate, think we're as much a unit as we have been for a few years. Doesn't seem to be any divide at all to me. In recent years I've always felt some sort of divide but that doesn't appear to be the case now. Think this is the happiest more collective unit we've had for a while. Can see that with all the baby celebrations for every new dad we've got in the team.

What we need now is to install a winning mentality. And that comes by winning trophies, the first is always the hardest. That's why I'm happy we're taking the League Cup so seriously. After five years without a trophy, this squad doesn't have the know how to win trophies with this club unfortunately. Three players have won a trophy with us, that's really not enough. So winning the League Cup will be the start and will put us on our way to winning the League in May. Chelsea's success came with the League Cup against in 05, United's success started in 90 with the FA Cup, City have now won a trophy in the FA Cup and all of a sudden look a different prospect to what they did as little as twelve months ago. We need a winning mentality and I think Kenny is bringing that back but he can't do it on his own, the players need to win trophies to get that feeling back.
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #90: Oct 07, 2011 09:42:45 pm
      Ok, I think I've used the wrong wording to describe what I meant. What I meant was that, it can't be expected that we'll be firing on all cylinders, seen that we have new players trying to find their feet, so we basically need time for the players to gel.

Until that happens, it'll always be difficuilt to get the best from our team.

I totally agree with the rest of your post, mate.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #91: Oct 07, 2011 10:28:33 pm
      Well he's wrong cos we will win the League.

Exactly mate, Luis has now learnt the subtle art of Reverse Phsycology.

Quick Reply