Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

A separate TV rights deal?

Read 14120 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Re: A separate TV rights deal?
      Reply #115: Oct 13, 2011 10:47:27 am
      Well , reading the press , the dislike of anything to do with LFC is as clear as the nose on your face. We are officially public enemy No 1 , football wise.
       If Sir you know who had mentioned it , they'd have declared him a genius.
      Just wish it had not come out this week. Then again Ian Ayre probably did the interview weeks ago, they just choose their moment ! Let's batter 'em.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #116: Oct 13, 2011 10:51:22 am
      Well , reading the press , the dislike of anything to do with LFC is as clear as the nose on your face. We are officially public enemy No 1 , football wise.
       If Sir you know who had mentioned it , they'd have declared him a genius.
      Just wish it had not come out this week. Then again Ian Ayre probably did the interview weeks ago, they just choose their moment ! Let's batter 'em.

He already has.

TV is killing us! Fergie launches attack on the power of Sky and co over impact on clubs

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
      Last updated at 2:55 PM on 26th September 2011

Sir Alex Ferguson has launched a stinging attack on the power of TV broadcasters - claiming they have jostled clubs into a corner.
      The Manchester United boss has spoken out at what he perceives are the tough conditions teams have to work under given the huge power of television companies.
      In a clear swipe at the likes of Sky Sports, Ferguson has even suggested that clubs are ripped off when it comes to the huge payments they receive for broadcasts.

Claiming Premier League coverage is sold to around 200 countries, he told BBC North West Tonight: 'When you think of that I don't think we get enough money.'
      In a hard-hitting interview, Ferguson criticises the control that TV companies have over the national game. He said: 'When you shake hands with the devil you have to pay the price. Television is God at the moment.'

Ferguson now believes that clubs have been backed into a corner over the fixture list that is decided by live TV games - and that this has a negative impact on the teams competing in Europe.
      The 69-year-old added: 'It shows itself quite clearly because when you see the fixture lists come out now, they can pick and choose whenever they want the top teams on television.

We deserve more! Ferguson said that United are underpaid by TV companies

'You get some ridiculous situations when you're playing on Wednesday night in Europe and then at lunchtime the following Saturday. You ask any manager if they would pick that themself and there'd be no chance.'
      The Premier League's TV deal was renewed in February 2009, with Sky paying over £1.6billion to show five 23-game packages.

One-time rivals Setanta paid £159m for 69 matches over the three years before the package was taken over by ESPN.

On average, clubs earning £4.3m for each game shown on live TV.

Last season United were paid just over £60m due to the amount of times their games were televised, and also for winning the Premier League. 

As seen on TV: United's six league games this season have all been shown live

So far this season all six of United's league games have been broadcast live on television. Next Saturday's home game against Norwich will be the first time this season the Red Devils will have kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday.
      United are scheduled to appear live three more times by the end of November.

You're on camera: United striker Wayne Rooney (centre) was reprimanded for swearing into a SKY camera after scoring at Upton Park last season

In contrast to the veteran manager, former Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick suggested that United owed much of their success under Ferguson to TV money.

'Sir Alex's comments always have to be taken seriously, he is a very wise and experienced football man,' Barwick told the BBC.

'But on this one, I do think Manchester United have almost had a lions share of TV revenue over a period of time and it has helped build a fantastic stadium in Old Trafford and helped build Sir Alex's teams with star players.

'Manchester United will always do well in the television market because a lot of people follow them.
      'The Premier League should be applauded for the number of countries it has got the game to. It has been a massive success story.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2041990/Manchester-Uniteds-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-attacks-power-Sky-TV.html#ixzz1aeaqkonB

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #117: Oct 13, 2011 02:43:28 pm
      Premier League and La Liga both have a 38 game season.
      Here's Barcelona and Real Madrid's points haul from the last two seasons.

Barcelona - 96 - 99
      Real Madrid - 92 - 96

Madrid with more points under Pellegrini than Mourinho.

Manchester United - 80 - 85

Chelsea - 71 - 86

Really ? A two year sample ? You don't know much about statistics, don't you ? A 10-year period is the shortest time frame, if you want to draw any respectable conclusions ... No matter how you spin it, the fact remains that the Primera Division is at least as competitive as the Premier League ...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #118: Oct 13, 2011 02:46:50 pm
      That's all well and good Mac, but the top two this year is different to the top two last year. . . Or will you conveniently neglect to mention that?

The point of this discussion is the alleged dominance of Real Madrid and Barca, compared to the competitive nature of the Premier League ... It is simply not true ... Real Madrid and Barca have dropped more points than the top Premier League teams, both historically and at the moment ...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #119: Oct 13, 2011 03:17:09 pm
      The point of this discussion is the alleged dominance of Real Madrid and Barca, compared to the competitive nature of the Premier League ... It is simply not true ... Real Madrid and Barca have dropped more points than the top Premier League teams, both historically and at the moment ...

Not for the last two full seasons they haven't.

Don't give me that 10 year period is the shortest time frame bollocks either.
      How does the league 10 years ago tell you how competitive the two leagues have been recently.
      For the last two years Barcelona and Real Madrid have bought the best players, while the smaller teams struggle to keep going.

99 and 96 points for the title vs
      80 and 86.

They're the most recent seasons and as such the most accurate of the teams they represent.

You who goes article hunting of all people should know that they're trying to change the system in Spain because of the debt crisis the lower clubs are suffering.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #120: Oct 13, 2011 04:52:12 pm
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8823278/Liverpools-proposal-is-all-about-greed-it-will-rip-the-heart-out-of-English-football-says-Wigans-Dave-Whelan.html

Liverpool's proposal is all about greed, it will rip the heart out of English football, says Wigan's Dave Whelan

This is the worst idea I have ever heard.

If Liverpool want to ruin the Premier League and rip the heart out of English football, this is the way to go about it. I’m so angry, I cannot believe it.

7:30AM BST 13 Oct 2011

They are trying to follow an American model, they want to create a European Super League and this is the first step towards trying to do that.

This is down to one word — greed. Do the fans of those clubs in this country want that to happen?
      Do they want to be travelling all over Europe every week? I doubt it.

They take, take, take.
      They want more and more, they want to take all the money for themselves, but they know the top six cannot play each other every week, so they will eventually look to Europe and the creation of a European league.

The next step will be to only receive domestic television money when your game is shown on television.

The top six are on television all the time, so they will receive all the money. If this happened, it would lead to the destruction of the Premier League, I have no doubt about that.

I’m not speaking as the chairman of Wigan, (Ed: NO NOT MUCH WHELAN)   I’m speaking on behalf of English football.

We have the best, most watched league in the world and we have given the game to the world.

The reason our league is so popular is because of the excitement. The smaller clubs cannot realistically win the title, but they can, on any given weekend, hold their own against one of the top six and.

If this proposal happened, the gap between the rich and poor would become even larger than it already is.

It would wreck the game, but they don’t care about that, they care about money. I cannot see it happening but we would fight this if it is proposed by Liverpool or anyone else, we have to.

Your problem, Whelan, is not with us.

For once in life, Liverpool are no longer Mr Nice Guys and are coming out with reality.

Your problem is with the Football Association , corrupt Fifa who bribe each other and a monopolistic media outlet, Sky Sports.

(Sky : Part of news Corporation ......the people who hacked Milly Dowler's phone and all the rest.)

So Whelan ... go and have a moan to the market makers as above ...the people who created the whole financial circus in the first place.

In Ayre We Trust.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011 05:25:08 pm by eurored »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #121: Oct 13, 2011 04:56:53 pm
      That'll be the same hypocritical c**t Whelan who wasn't so long ago slagging off foreign managers and saying English/British managers need to be given more a chance and made Roberto Martinez Wigan's manager.

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #122: Oct 13, 2011 05:13:00 pm
      Not for the last two full seasons they haven't.

Don't give me that 10 year period is the shortest time frame bollocks either.
      How does the league 10 years ago tell you how competitive the two leagues have been recently.
      For the last two years Barcelona and Real Madrid have bought the best players, while the smaller teams struggle to keep going.

99 and 96 points for the title vs
      80 and 86.

They're the most recent seasons and as such the most accurate of the teams they represent.

You who goes article hunting of all people should know that they're trying to change the system in Spain because of the debt crisis the lower clubs are suffering.

So basically, you are saying that Liverpool FC is a mid-table club that struggles to qualify for the Europa League ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #123: Oct 13, 2011 05:34:25 pm
      So basically, you are saying that Liverpool FC is a mid-table club that struggles to qualify for the Europa League ?

No, but your argument has become laughable.

Time to search for this magical ignore button they're all on about.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #124: Oct 13, 2011 05:36:11 pm

My argument has become laughable ? Are you sure ?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #125: Oct 13, 2011 05:36:53 pm

Time to search for this magical ignore button they're all on about.

F**k me I know I have him on ignore, but seeing your quote and your post, how the F**k did he draw that conclusion ??
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #126: Oct 13, 2011 05:39:24 pm
      F**k me I know I have him on ignore, but seeing your quote and your post, how the F**k did he draw that conclusion ??

I guess he didn't want to enter into the argument that was placed in front of him and as such attempted to draw me into some childish argument instead.
      Doesn't matter. I tried to have a discussion with him. I've even thrown up some articles on La Liga, but he's not interested. Lesson learned.

Ignored.

Edit:

I know the argument he's trying to drag me into, but it's only to deflect from the point I've made.
      Pathetic.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #127: Oct 13, 2011 05:57:52 pm
      I guess he didn't want to enter into the argument that was placed in front of him and as such attempted to draw me into some childish argument instead.
      Doesn't matter. I tried to have a discussion with him. I've even thrown up some articles on La Liga, but he's not interested. Lesson learned.

I have entered the argument using the same parameters like you did ... Can you give me direct answers to these questions:

1. Did we or didn't we struggle to qualify for the Europa League in the last 2 seasons ?

2. Are we or aren't we a mid-table club that struggles to qualify for the Europa League ?

3. Is the 2-year sample reliable ?

I know that you will hide behind the "ignore" function, but it doesn't really matters, since this argument is over anyway ...
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #128: Oct 13, 2011 06:05:45 pm
      Probably a tad ignorant on this issue, but the way I see it, f**k everyone else, with the FFP rules the club should be earning as much money as possible.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #129: Oct 13, 2011 06:13:28 pm
      To be honest, I'm a big critic of the EPL pretense superior competitiveness as well. Yes, Barça and Real are way above the rest at the moment, but the TV deals were there before it - it's not just that. Barça are actually way above the rest of the world too, they have a team that is one of a kind, with a special place in history.

People rave about how unpredictable the EPL is but it's not. Mid-table English clubs are not better than Spain's either. Only Fulham and Boro reached European finals in recent years and both lost. Spain had Valencia, Sevilla and Atletico recently. For example, a lot of Real's big spending of the first Galacticos era came from the suspicious sale of a training ground, not the tv.

I'm not saying I'm in favour of Spain's tv deals though, not even LFC's proposal for the EPL.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #130: Oct 13, 2011 06:44:19 pm
      I just think Ayre is letting them know it will not be Rick Parry negotiating this time so bring some respect with your offer to one of Europes and the Worlds  biggest names
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #131: Oct 13, 2011 10:38:12 pm
      I just think Ayre is letting them know it will not be Rick Parry negotiating this time so bring some respect with your offer to one of Europes and the Worlds  biggest names

I'll have a bit of that theory too fella.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #132: Oct 14, 2011 10:17:08 am
      These statements are coming from the other side of the pond.

Ayre knows full well the TV deal will never change and bringing this up makes us look stupid but if your boss tells you to do something you had better do it
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #133: Oct 14, 2011 12:24:24 pm
      These statements are coming from the other side of the pond.

Ayre knows full well the TV deal will never change and bringing this up makes us look stupid but if your boss tells you to do something you had better do it

Why not ? The conditions of the collective TV deals are changed every time a new deal is negotiated ... It might not be a full implementation of our demands, but putting the pressure on the Premier League would certainly bring some concessions to the top half teams ... Especially since I can see Man Utd, LFC, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Tottenham, Everton, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Sunderland and QPR (also, Birmingham, Cardiff, Derby and Leicester, if they get into the PL by 2013) being interested in getting some concessions over the international TV rights ...
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #134: Oct 14, 2011 06:53:08 pm
      Sorry mate but I can not be bothered to debate something with Macedonian Red,

Life is to short

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #135: Oct 14, 2011 07:02:20 pm
      This cant happen, shouldnt happen and hopefully wonty happen.

It will kill the game as we know it. If we want to make more money lets get back to winning things and build a bigger/new stadium and have a teasm that means its full every game.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #136: Oct 14, 2011 07:20:25 pm
      Sorry mate but I can not be bothered to debate something with Macedonian Red,

Life is to short

Of course you can't debate with me at the moment, but you shouldn't be so pessimistic ... It won't really take a life-time to learn enough about the game, so you can debate on the same level ...
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #137: Oct 14, 2011 07:39:00 pm
      I really don't get this animosity to MacRed, did I miss something?

Quick Reply