Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Is the finishing the real issue?

Read 2727 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Is the finishing the real issue?
      Dec 12, 2011 07:12:52 am
      I may be the only one but I don't think we need a striker in  January just to score goals. What i mean is that  a new striker WILL score goals but it may not solve our difficulties to win our games comfortably. I personally think that both Suarez and Carroll can score 20+goals a season if not 30+. I think the major problem in the team is the lack of a really good winger. Downing is not this winger. He crosses as he can and the dribbles he does seem to be forced. It's the same for Henderson(the debate on whether he is a winger or not? not here)Carroll needs numerous good crosses and this has been lacking. He is also lacking  confidence terribly atm. but when the cross come he's often alone and the defenders easily get the ball.

Suarez
      Suarez is a world class player but I don't think we're playing him in the best way possible. He should not be leading the attack of LFC. He knows how to score, he can create his own goals but I think that Kuyt or Carroll should lead the attack and not Suarez. Before he arrived we were already playing good football. maybe the best I've seen at Liverpool. He came into the team and shone. But it as Kuyt and Mereiles who were scoring. He grew in importance and stature but I think that when we play, the focal point of the teams is Suarez and when he is marked well our game is poor. Luckily we have Adam.

I personally think that we need one or two wingers who can create and cross properly  and also who can score! why? because when our wingers are not dangerous enough and if the CBs neutralise the strikers we won't score. Man U, Man City and Arsenal's strikers would not be scoring so many goals if Walcott, Gervinho, Nani, silva, milner and Nasri were not a threat to the opponent goalkeeper.

PS. sry for bad English
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Is the finishing the real issue?
      Reply #1: Dec 12, 2011 07:56:12 am
      Not really sure I understand your point mate. We have created very good chances in all our games and would have won every game apart from the game against Spurs if we had been more clinical with our finishing. It is not just down to the strikers, all our players should be contributing and scoring, but the main burden does lie with the strikers.

Eight goals in 15 games is the combined total of our 4 "strikers" in the league, which tells its own story imo. Suarez with 5 of those goals is probably the only one to have a reasonable return with 1 in 3, Kuyt has yet to score, Carroll has 2, Bellamy 1.

Yes we have had some bad luck, the woodwork has taken a lot of punishment this season, but I think another striker would add another string to our bow and maybe turn a few more of our dominant displays into wins.

I also think it would help some of the players who are struggling with confidence (like Downing) if more of the chances they were creating were finishing in the back of the net.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Re: Is the finishing the real issue?
      Reply #2: Dec 12, 2011 08:00:20 am
      Finishing, and the input from wingers etc is already under discussion in an exceptionally similar topic.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,41588.0.html

Locked.

Quick Reply