Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Joe Allen (Swansea City)

Read 75764 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Joe Allen (Swansea City)
      Reply #920: Aug 10, 2012 01:18:10 pm
      Thanks mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #921: Aug 10, 2012 02:02:24 pm
      Didn't BR say he was working on several players or something that implied more than a couple.....and also something about once one deal gets done the others may then fall into place? Maybe I dreamed that up.

Either way could this be the signing that creates the domino effect?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #922: Aug 10, 2012 02:13:14 pm
      I was reading some supposed ITK on another site last night(he knows a sports scientist at Liverpool) who was saying that the final choice was between going for Allen or M'vila

Are you trying to give someone a F***ing aneurysm s@int.  :lmao:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #923: Aug 10, 2012 02:18:18 pm

Either way could this be the signing that creates the domino effect?

Isnt that the striker that Diego is always going on about?  :angel:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #924: Aug 10, 2012 02:22:33 pm
      Are you trying to give someone a f**king aneurysm s@int.  :lmao:

:lmao: One can but try :)
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #925: Aug 10, 2012 02:22:52 pm
      I dont care about the price, whatever it takes to get the player out will be what it will be! welcome to the club Allen!
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,533 posts | 225 
      Reply #926: Aug 10, 2012 02:28:15 pm
      A good buy, I really like what I have seen of him, he seems to be an intelligent player who can link up well when needed and do a bit of the dog work. Certainly better than henderson who we paid near enough 20m for

the perfect price for him would have been around 12m but you know at least we ain't over paying for players by triple value anymore (or 4-5 times if you want to count carrol)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #927: Aug 10, 2012 03:56:52 pm
      I think he is a fantastic buy, I wasn't really keen on the price as I think we have other deficiencies and I hope we'll have money to address all of them (especially after letting Kuyt, Maxi and Bellars go), but judging the player and the player only, I think he'll add a lot to our game, I love what I've seen of him so far and can't wait to see Allen in a red shirt.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #928: Aug 10, 2012 03:58:43 pm
      allenluya
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #929: Aug 10, 2012 04:02:33 pm
      Liam Tomkins on why Allen could be worth £15m:

Random question about something that has always been a doubt for me: does Liam have anything to do with Paul Tomkins? Relatives?
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #930: Aug 10, 2012 04:04:33 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #931: Aug 10, 2012 04:14:23 pm
      I have always been a critic of the "flavor of the month" type of signing, I said so when we were linked to Carroll who only had half a season of top flight football and said the same about Downing after he had his best season, so it is in certain aspects a contradiction of mine to be so much in favor of Joe Allen. However, the same reasoning I used to defend Rodgers appointment as Kenny's replacement I'm gonna use about Allen - it is about well-defined patterns (I remember saying I favored Rodgers to Martinez, even though I liked both, because Swansea played a much better defined brand of football and had a more sustainable record). Allen didn't have the "season of his life" by scoring some long range 'lucky' goals or showing some trickery against the bigger clubs (a lot of players are overrated for playing well against the bigger boys), what he did last season was truly remarkable in many senses. Plus, since he is going to play for the very same manager at LFC, there are no question marks regarding his ability to fit into Rodgers' style - he obviously does. So welcome to LFC Joe Allen, hopefully we'll have money to bring more players because we'll need them, but I'm happy to see Allen signing for us.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #932: Aug 10, 2012 05:41:23 pm
      Have we offically signed the lad yet ?

I'm going to call him Jose Alleno just so that people think £15mil is a decent price for him
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #933: Aug 10, 2012 05:45:58 pm
      Question:

Would we have gone for Allen if Sigurdsson had not gone to Spurs? No agenda to the question I'm just wondering as they are different types of player.

Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #934: Aug 10, 2012 05:50:11 pm
      Question:

Would we have gone for Allen if Sigurdsson had not gone to Spurs? No agenda to the question I'm just wondering as they are different types of player.

I made this point a few weeks ago and someone rightly replied by saying they are very different players. Allen sits in one area were as Sigurdsson is a bit like Gerrard, moves around a lot and plays several roles. So, in another words, the belief is that Allen would still have been a target.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #935: Aug 10, 2012 05:53:13 pm
      Have we offically signed the lad yet ?

I'm going to call him Jose Alleno just so that people think £15mil is a decent price for him

Not officially, no. The clubs have agreed the fee and he was at the game last night. That's about as unofficial as it gets before it's official.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #936: Aug 10, 2012 05:53:26 pm
      M'vila is a better player and better prospect but look Allen is a decent he ain't top class but maybe Rodgers sees him as a vital cog in system he plays.

Neither Lucas or Allen will give you much going forward so we really need a couple of additions in the final third
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #937: Aug 10, 2012 05:55:10 pm
      A midfield three of Lucas, Allen and Gerrard sounds very exciting.

Looks okay that yes but can't help thinking where are the goals going to come from in midfield if Stevie gets injured.

Just think the midfield options lack a bit of 'Oomph' if you get me?

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #938: Aug 10, 2012 05:57:24 pm
      Question:

Both different type of players . Think Allen was more the one he wanted.

So in answer think he still would have gone for Allen if we had got Sigurdsson
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #939: Aug 10, 2012 06:02:17 pm
      Both different type of players . Think Allen was more the one he wanted.

So in answer think he still would have gone for Allen if we had got Sigurdsson

I made this point a few weeks ago and someone rightly replied by saying they are very different players. Allen sits in one area were as Sigurdsson is a bit like Gerrard, moves around a lot and plays several roles. So, in another words, the belief is that Allen would still have been a target.

That's what I thought lads so from that we must still be in the market for a Sigurdsson type player. If he was in for him then he must feel that we need an attacking midfielder?

I'd like to see us get an attacking midfielder in but its very busy in there now and we'd probably need to ship out at least three of the current midfield to accommmodate anyone else as well as addressing the shortage of depth up front. Not enough time now I fear.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #940: Aug 10, 2012 06:03:27 pm
      M'vila is a better player and better prospect but look Allen is a decent he ain't top class but maybe Rodgers sees him as a vital cog in system he plays.

Neither Lucas or Allen will give you much going forward so we really need a couple of additions in the final third

MVila offers even less going forward - he is a pure defensive DM . He is ok - solid but no better than Lucas

Allen will offer creativity in the middle with mixing up his passes and linking Lucas and Gerrard together. He is an engine type player.

Allen has the potential to be a class player in the prem.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #941: Aug 10, 2012 06:04:10 pm
      That's what I thought lads so from that we must still be in the market for a Sigurdsson type player. If he was in for him then he must feel that we need an attacking midfielder?

I'd like to see us get an attacking midfielder in but its very busy in there now and we'd probably need to ship out at least three of the current midfield to accommmodate anyone else as well as addressing the shortage of depth up front. Not enough time now I fear.

Shelvey can provide that role as back up to Gerrard - i think we lack the wider role.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #942: Aug 10, 2012 06:07:23 pm
      Shelvey can provide that role as back up to Gerrard - i think we lack the wider role.

Great prospect but not ready to be the main goal getter from our midfield just yet IMO - or at least not ready to be shouldered with that burden.

Quick Reply