Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Joe Allen (Swansea City)

Read 75766 times
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Re: Joe Allen (Swansea City)
      Reply #943: Aug 10, 2012 06:11:47 pm
      Neither Lucas or Allen will give you much going forward so we really need a couple of additions in the final third

I think Allen will surprise you mate. He is a very effective dribbler which wasn't seen much at the Olympics because he was playing primarily as a CDM. In my opinion, he is better slightly further forward where he is able to put his attacking attributes to better use. I think he'll be a big success at Anfield. 
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #944: Aug 10, 2012 06:13:22 pm
      Great prospect but not ready to be the main goal getter from our midfield just yet IMO - or at least not ready to be shouldered with that burden.

Thats why he is just back up and will learn from Gerrard mate - we arent in the position to have a second Gerrard type waiting in the wings.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #945: Aug 10, 2012 06:13:33 pm
      Neither Lucas or Allen will give you much going forward so we really need a couple of additions in the final third

To run the risk of getting off-topic, this is even more important now Bellamy has officially moved on to Cardiff.

We need to lighten up in the CM roles a little, and definitely need to add width and creative attacking options, at least 2-3 players, I'd imagine.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #947: Aug 10, 2012 06:18:28 pm
      Thats why he is just back up and will learn from Gerrard mate - we arent in the position to have a second Gerrard type waiting in the wings.

So if Gerrard gets injured we have only Shelvey as an attacking option then? Like I just said, I think we need more in terms of goals coming from midfield.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #948: Aug 10, 2012 06:19:55 pm
      So if Gerrard gets injured we have only Shelvey as an attacking option then? Like I just said, I think we need more in terms of goals coming from midfield.

What else can we do mate ? Maybe Dempsey will arrive if we can get rid of Adam and just pay £5 mil ?
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #949: Aug 10, 2012 06:26:56 pm

Henderson can operate there as well and be good at it also I think. His reputation as a player and a potential top talent was completely destroyed by his stuggles to play out wide otherwise I always thought and still think that he could make a very good central attacking midfielder.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #950: Aug 10, 2012 06:29:59 pm
      What else can we do mate ? Maybe Dempsey will arrive if we can get rid of Adam and just pay £5 mil ?

If we're skint then yes, Dempsey - don't want to see the likes of Dagger and Carroll going to subsidise moves for players in an area of the squad that is heavily congested.

Now Allen is practically a Liverpool player we must be trying to ship out midfielders if we need to raise funds or free up some of the wage bill and not a player from an attack that is already lacking in depth or a world class central defender that would need to be replaced.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #951: Aug 10, 2012 06:35:08 pm
      Henderson can operate there as well and be good at it also I think. His reputation as a player and a potential top talent was completely destroyed by his stuggles to play out wide otherwise I always thought and still think that he could make a very good central attacking midfielder.

Henderson can only improve on last season but I couldn't rely on him heavily.

Think we may need a 'Case for the Midfield' type thread a lot to talk about and sorry for straying off topic a little.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #952: Aug 10, 2012 06:46:39 pm
      Question:

Would we have gone for Allen if Sigurdsson had not gone to Spurs? No agenda to the question I'm just wondering as they are different types of player.

I would say yes... Personally I always saw Sigurdsson as an option to Gerrard, he's an attacking midfielder that gets into the box, scores goals, not exactly a central mid. Hopefully the captain won't be injured so often this season, but I would still have liked Sig in our squad as well. However I'm hoping we'll sign at least one of those versatile attacking midfielders, that will operate out wide when we have Gerrard but could play behind the striker if necessary too.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #953: Aug 10, 2012 07:15:23 pm
      Jen Chang ‏@JenChang88
      Some player-related news to appear on the LFC website in the next 10-15 minutes

Could be confirmation of the Allen transfer
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #954: Aug 10, 2012 07:20:06 pm
      Jen Chang ‏@JenChang88
      Some player-related news to appear on the LFC website in the next 10-15 minutes

Could be confirmation of the Allen transfer
      Has the Bellamy confirmation been up there for awhile, because that's all I see right now.
      You are probably right, has to be Allen confirmation.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #955: Aug 10, 2012 07:27:30 pm
      Or Suarez is out for the season  :f_tongueincheek:
      Bleed-LFC
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #956: Aug 10, 2012 07:27:52 pm
      Didn't know where to put this .

Paul Rogers @PaulRogersLFC [Head of Content at LFC]

Busy day at Melwood. Leaving shortly. Some great content on the @lfc website coming up
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #957: Aug 10, 2012 07:28:43 pm
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/allen-completes-liverpool-move

The Wales international signed a long-term contract after passing a medical at Melwood.

After finalising the deal, Allen told Liverpoolfc.com: "I feel incredible. Everyone knows the history of this club, it's a massive club, and I'm delighted to have joined.

"The passion that people here have for football is something I share and I want to be part of that.

"I'm looking forward to being part of some great years ahead for Liverpool Football Club."

The 22-year-old becomes our second summer signing following the arrival of Fabio Borini.

Brendan Rodgers said: "I'm absolutely delighted that Joe has made the decision to come with us on this journey.

"Joe is a player whose profile will fit perfectly with the ideas of this group. His ability to control and dominate the ball is an important ingredient in our attempt to gain success on the field.

"Joe has had a fantastic education at Swansea City and will now begin the next chapter in his exciting career, and I wish him all the very best in what I'm sure will be a long and distinguished career here at Liverpool."
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #958: Aug 10, 2012 07:29:56 pm

Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce that midfielder Joe Allen has today completed his transfer from Swansea City.

The Wales international signed a long-term contract after passing a medical at Melwood.

After finalising the deal, Allen told Liverpoolfc.com: "I feel incredible. Everyone knows the history of this club, it's a massive club, and I'm delighted to have joined.

"The passion that people here have for football is something I share and I want to be part of that.

"I'm looking forward to being part of some great years ahead for Liverpool Football Club."

The 22-year-old becomes our second summer signing following the arrival of Fabio Borini.

Brendan Rodgers said: "I'm absolutely delighted that Joe has made the decision to come with us on this journey.

"Joe is a player whose profile will fit perfectly with the ideas of this group. His ability to control and dominate the ball is an important ingredient in our attempt to gain success on the field.

"Joe has had a fantastic education at Swansea City and will now begin the next chapter in his exciting career, and I wish him all the very best in what I'm sure will be a long and distinguished career here at Liverpool."

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #959: Aug 10, 2012 07:31:29 pm
      Get in Joe!

Welcome and good luck!
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #960: Aug 10, 2012 07:35:22 pm
      Welcome Joe!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #961: Aug 10, 2012 07:39:37 pm
      Welcome to the greatest football club on the planet Mr Allen.

See you all in the player thread!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #962: Aug 10, 2012 07:43:00 pm
      Welcome Joe Allen hopefully you can finally fill a hole in our midfield that's been vacant since the departure of Xabi, fingers crossed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #963: Aug 10, 2012 07:43:52 pm
      Welcome Joe
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #964: Aug 10, 2012 07:44:35 pm
      What do ya know Joe? Welcome and may your passes be accurate and your shot straight.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #965: Aug 10, 2012 07:45:20 pm
      Great signing, welcome to Anfield Joe!

Quick Reply