Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Nikica Jelavic (Glasgow Rangers)

Read 7908 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Nikica Jelavic (Glasgow Rangers)
      Jan 04, 2012 10:55:41 pm

Jelavic flattered by Reds link
      Gers frontman unaware of any solid interest

By Jure Bohoric
      Last Updated: January 4, 2012 4:07pm

Sought-after Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic admits he is flattered by speculation linking him to Liverpool and finds the idea of an Anfield move appealing.

The Gers top-scorer is believed to have attracted interest from the Premier League after impressing at Ibrox, with QPR also thought to be monitoring him.

Croatian Jelavic, who is contracted in Glasgow until summer 2014, admits joining Liverpool would be an attractive prospect but says he knows nothing of their reported interest.

"Of course it is nice to see your name being linked with that kind of club," he told Slobodna Dalmacija. "But I don't know if the rumour is true.

"Liverpool is a big club and anybody would like to play at Anfield but I'm just trying to stay focused on my game."

Jelavic refuses to be distracted by speculation surrounding him, insisting he is concentrating on doing well for Gers.

The 26-year-old, who joined Rangers from Rapid Vienna in 2010, says he is happy at Ibrox but would be open to a move if the SPL reigning champions decided to sell him.

He added: "Every day I read in the papers that some new club is coming to get me but it's funny as I don't know anything about it.

"So I don't mind if a day passes without me looking at the papers. I just want to stay focused for Rangers.

"I love it in Glasgow. I'm contracted here for another two-and-a-half years.

"But, if the club were to sell me to get the money they need, then that would suit me too."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7410952/
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Re: Nikica Jelavic (Glasgow Rangers)
      Reply #1: Jan 05, 2012 12:19:10 am
      Saw this on SSN earlier was waiting for Mac Red to find a link,

Not a hope will we sign him,from what i'v seen he's very talented but Rangers would want a lot of money,more than he's worth IMO
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2: Jan 05, 2012 12:23:54 am
      Might be OK as a backup and worth a punt for a few million, but not the answer to our problems.

Lets not overestimate the SPL, extremely poor league against extremely poor defenses. Very much doubt he would continue his goalscoring record in the EPL.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #3: Jan 05, 2012 12:50:18 am

One thing is for certain, I would take him ahead of Darren Bent. He would cost 1/3 of the price (at most), and would fit our system much better. I have first noticed him when he was still a young player at Hajduk Split, and he was obviously a very talented striker. He was sold prematurely in 2007, because they wanted to make room on the team for Nikola Kalinic, who was an emerging star at the time. Jelavic has suffered some bad times in Belgium and Austria (at first), but he has managed to find his goalscoring form at Rapid Wien, and has earned his transfer to Glasgow Rangers, as well as his place in the Croatian NT. Has this nasty habit of being at the right place, at the right time.

Nikica Jelavic "Magic" All Goals 2010/11 HD
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 05, 2012 02:00:36 am
      From what I hear this will happen
      boohamdan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 05, 2012 02:02:15 am
      They paid £4m to sign him in 2010, scored 32 goals in 43 appearances, looks comfortable using both right & left feet, very mobile from what I've seen, would be nice if we could sign him for less than £10m.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #6: Jan 05, 2012 02:05:40 am
      My mate, massive Rangers fan, stays next door to him and is back for Christmas. I've asked him to pop round and ask Nikica what is happening. He seems reluctant!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Jan 05, 2012 02:29:05 am
      I think we can nab him for about 10 million or so. I know he was linked to United last season he is a big strong lad and has good aerial presence, his performances for the national team have been less then convincing but he is verging on prolific at club level. I read in a Craotian paper a few days ago that our scouts were at the Celtic-Rangers game monitoring him. All in all I think he would offer more than Carroll and Bent has a good "nose" for goal.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #8: Jan 05, 2012 05:32:00 am
      Admitted it's first time hear his name but from video Mac_Red posted above I think he's good enough.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #9: Jan 05, 2012 06:49:20 am
      I think he could do the job with Suarez. Though i dont think he could do it alone. To me he looks like 1/3 of what Torres looked liked. He has a good finish which is what we need but i dont believe he could make his own chances like what Torres did.
      Wouldnt be bad but not for me unless Kuyt leaves and if suarez didnt get banned so at this point i believe we need a world class striker.
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #10: Jan 05, 2012 08:10:19 am
      Might be OK as a backup and worth a punt for a few million, but not the answer to our problems.

Lets not overestimate the SPL, extremely poor league against extremely poor defenses. Very much doubt he would continue his goalscoring record in the EPL.

I totaly agree. We can't buy a striker and wait/hope he'll finish our chances. We need a "killer" if we still want to play ChL...
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #11: Jan 05, 2012 09:30:47 am
      To be honest I'm dreading this one - as a Glaswegian (although LFC are my one and only!) on Old Firm days I favour the green side, contrary to sectarian stereotype. I've been giving colleagues and mates who are Rangers fans dogs abuse since August when there were rumours re us and Leicester bidding £7m at the end of the window. Been telling him he's a Championship player at best and yet still the best at Ibrox by a mile - that's how sh#te they are! If we give them £10m I'll get it back ten-fold!!

Truth is he must be better than the sum of his parts because he is scoring a barrel-load of quality goals albeit against modest opposition. He looks quite cumbersome but is actually quicker than first impressions and likewise, though ungainly, his technique is sound. One thing I do like is that he seems to always instinctively know where the goal is and does like to take shots on early - before keepers get set.

The big question is still whether he's "good enough" and my honest answer is that I'm not convinced.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #12: Jan 05, 2012 09:33:15 am
      Been telling him he's a Championship player

The entire Scottish Premier League is at best Championship football.  If this player isn't smashing them in left, right and centre, which he hasn't been lately, then I don't see how he will be anything more than a backup at Liverpool.

The only decent players we will ever get from Scotland now is young up and coming scottish lads - not overseas players that have had to ply their trade there.

Give them a couple of million to keep them going for another couple of months.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #13: Jan 05, 2012 09:40:13 am
      Yep - think overall that's what I'm saying JD. He stands out a mile there (though has been bit "dis-interested" through December) but I can't see him making the difference to us.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Jan 05, 2012 11:12:12 am
      Doing okay in a league which is like league two a big no from me.  Id have my doubts whether he cut out for the premiership at all
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3894 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Jan 05, 2012 12:55:44 pm
      Feeder for youth players - Yes.
      Signing ageing players for the squad - No F***ing thanks.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Jan 05, 2012 01:57:09 pm
      Looks like the Mancs' Hernandez on that video, nearly all of his goals are one-timers
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #17: Jan 05, 2012 02:05:38 pm
      Like his movement, seems to have the strikers instinct.

Not sure if he can make the step up though. There's a big difference between the Premier League and the SPL right now.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 05, 2012 02:11:57 pm
      What sort of money are we talking here? surely not £10million in one go. Maybe £5million plus add ons, if he adapts. Its hard to guide how good a player really is when they come from a substandard league. Worth a shout for small money IMO
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #19: Jan 05, 2012 03:06:00 pm
      No thanks again. Just look at anthony stokes he scores bags of goals for any scottish team hes played for but couldnt cut it in england and hes only 23. We have to aim higher. One player i like in scotland is The young lad of celtic Forrest. He looks a great prospect
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 05, 2012 06:37:19 pm
      Yes this guy is very good, clinical and scores goals for fun.  We definately need him think bent has a big ego and could be hard to handle. He has been around and feel he could adapt easily.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #21: Jan 05, 2012 06:52:46 pm
      his performances for the national team have been less then convincing but he is verging on prolific at club level.
      Sounds like a Croatian Scott McDonald.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: Jan 05, 2012 07:37:35 pm
      Sounds like a Croatian Scott McDonald.

A Croatian striker in the Australian team is called a Mark Viduka.

Quick Reply