Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Who will be the new England captain?

Read 7378 times
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Who will be the new England captain?
      Feb 03, 2012 02:04:28 pm
      John Terry: FA strips England captaincy from Chelsea defender
      John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy, the Football Association has confirmed.
      The 31-year-old Chelsea centre-back was informed of the decision by FA chairman David Bernstein in a phone call at 1000 GMT.
      He is due to stand trial in July over racial abuse allegations after an incident with QPR's Anton Ferdinand.
      Terry, who lost the captaincy once previously, has entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.
      In a statement, the FA said Terry would not "captain the England team until the allegations against him are resolved".
      It continued: "The FA board expected the trial to be concluded prior to the European Championship.
      "Further to Wednesday's confirmation that the trial will not take place until after the tournament, the board has discussed the matter in detail and has collectively decided it is in the interests of all parties that John has the responsibilities of captaincy removed at this time.
      "This decision has been taken due to the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament."
      The FA said Capello was free to select Terry for the Netherlands friendly in February and Euro 2012.
      "FA chairman David Bernstein has spoken to both John Terry and Fabio Capello to explain the facts to them," the statement continued.
      "Fabio Capello has not been involved in the FA Board discussions which reached this conclusion, but understands that the FA Board has authority to make this decision.
      "Fabio Capello will take the decision as to who will be made captain moving forward.
      "This decision in no way infers any suggestion of guilt in relation to the charge made against John Terry. The FA will be not be making any further comment on this matter."
      BBC Sport understands the majority view among FA board members was that Terry should be stood down.
      Capello had until now maintained the position that Terry was innocent until proven guilty and that he should be free to select him as his captain until his trial is over.
      There was some nervousness among board members as to how the Italian would react, with some fearing he will see it as undue interference in team affairs.
      But there was an acceptance among the FA hierarchy that the matter should be taken out of his hands.
      Sports minister Hugh Robertson backed the FA's decision, saying it would have been "impossible" for Terry to continue.
      Robertson said: "I completely support the FA's decision. It would have been impossible for John Terry to have continued as captain with this charge over his head."
      The FA was forced to act after Terry's case was adjourned until 9 July - a week after the Euro 2012 finals end - ensuring that the affair will dominate the build-up to the championship.
      For some time now, Bernstein has been growing increasingly concerned at the FA's position on Terry.
      Some board members have lobbied him to take decisive action to ensure the FA is not accused of being weak on racism.
      Black players within the England squad have also been putting pressure on the Professional Footballers' Association to take a stronger stance on Terry. This is believed to have also played a part in forcing the FA to act.
      Terry was previously stripped of the captaincy when Capello removed him from the role in February 2010  following allegations he had an affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend.
      Terry was reinstated 13 months later with Capello saying "one year of punishment is enough".
      Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas said he did not agree with the FA's decision and revealed Terry would miss Sunday's game against Manchester United because of the knee injury which kept him out of Tuesday's match at Swansea.
      "You have to ask the FA about it and the people responsible for the decision," he said. "The statement from the FA is pretty clear on what was their decision-making. John will continue to be our captain and I have no further things to say."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16866149

So Terry stripped of captaincy, and Rio has ruled himself out of the running to replace him.

As I recall, in the world cup when Terry and Rio couldn't captain the side, Gerrard was the 3rd man in line.

Looks like Steven will lead England out in Poland. All of a sudden Euro 2012 just got a lot more interesting.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,993 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Who will be the new England captain?
      Reply #1: Feb 03, 2012 02:06:35 pm
      Stevie G if fit.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Feb 03, 2012 02:13:18 pm
      Couldn't care less, to be honest ;D

Wouldn't really want Gerrard to feel he has the burden of carrying his country as well.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #3: Feb 03, 2012 02:17:00 pm
      Stevie should get it, but knowing the FA they'll give it someone like Wilshere.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #4: Feb 03, 2012 02:17:59 pm
      I'd give it to Joe Hart, He'll be the keeper for the next 10-12 years.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Feb 03, 2012 02:57:31 pm
      Nick Griffin.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,450 posts | 4584 
      Reply #6: Feb 03, 2012 03:14:26 pm

Nah too much baggage  ;) i would go with gerrard if not then joe hart.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,226 posts | 8571 
      Reply #7: Feb 03, 2012 03:16:00 pm
      Who was the captain of the Titanic?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Feb 03, 2012 03:52:28 pm
      The fact Gerrard wasn't the captain in the 1st place means I couldn't care less
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Feb 03, 2012 04:21:54 pm
      Ashley Cole. England's captain needs to be a total tw*t.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Stevie For England ?
      Reply #10: Feb 03, 2012 06:27:53 pm
      Today John Terry has had his Captaincy of England removed.

Rio Ferdinand has stated he is not interested in taking over the Captaincy.

In view of the way the F.A. handled the Suarez matter should Stevie if offered the Captaincy refuse it or accept it ?
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Re: Stevie For England ?
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2012 06:34:04 pm
      He should retire from international duty and save his legs for LFC  :o
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #12: Feb 03, 2012 06:37:00 pm
      If i was Gerrard i'd accept it he's said before he loves playing for his country so obviously it's only natural for him to want to captain it.

Even as an Irishman i wouldn't begrudge seeing him lift the European C'ship trophy ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #13: Feb 03, 2012 07:05:14 pm
      The fact Gerrard wasn't the captain in the 1st place means I couldn't care less

Agree mate. Gerrard should have been captain in the first place and if Capello has any sense he will make it right.

Don't really care who is England captain but I'm sure Stevie would love the chance to lead England out at the finals.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Feb 03, 2012 07:26:04 pm
      Would like it be Gerrard. Would be a great personal achievement for him and great to see one of our lads captain the nation at the World Cup and then the Euro's.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2012 07:34:16 pm
      Couldn't give a shiney one.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2012 08:02:59 pm
      Second fiddle to Terry F**k them off
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2012 08:03:42 pm
      Second fiddle to Terry f**k them off
      If that's the way you want to look at it !
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #18: Feb 03, 2012 08:19:02 pm
      Stevie G
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #19: Feb 04, 2012 02:59:39 pm
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #20: Feb 04, 2012 03:06:36 pm
      Stephen Fry
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #21: Feb 04, 2012 05:02:30 pm
      I'd liek Stevie to retire form England not Captain them. I used to love watching England but that was a long time ago now.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #22: Feb 04, 2012 05:59:58 pm
      Eugene Terreblanche - might have been capped by Holland, South Africa and be slightly dead. Still good facsimile for predecessor
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #23: Feb 04, 2012 06:51:19 pm
      Gerrard should have been first choice but Capello chose him as THIRD choice!

Gerrard should just refuse it and retire from international football.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #24: Feb 04, 2012 08:15:41 pm
      I didn't think this had enough legs to be a thread on its own but I'm just wondering, linked to this, how many English, Liverpool fans on here actually care about England ? ( and overseas for their national teams).

I mean I genuinely don't give a rats arse about England, I just don't care, I support Liverpool and that's it, the national team just gets in the way. I can't support something ran by the FA and also the players I dislike for 50 weeks of the year I can't be supporting just because they play for England.

I'd be happy if international football wasn't there. When tournaments come by I tend to watch to follow Liverpool players, not England.

So on topic I don't care, I'd be happy if Stevie quit England not captained them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #25: Feb 04, 2012 08:26:52 pm
      Sure yeah give Stevie's legs even more pressure and his next recovery period could be his last. F**k England and Capello right off.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #26: Feb 04, 2012 08:35:02 pm
      Sure yeah give Stevie's legs even more pressure and his next recovery period could be his last. F**k England and Capello right off.

So you're undecided then Stuey lad ?  :f_tongueincheek:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2012 08:41:23 pm
      So you're undecided then Stuey lad ?  :f_tongueincheek:
      The idea of it is crazy mate, can't believe some people believe there is some kudos involved, the FA and by association the England set up have done nothing but undermine this club for as long as I remember, F**k them both.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2012 08:44:44 pm
      Probably give Rooney the f**ker then say something along the lines of it will help him mature as a player.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2012 08:47:22 pm
      I hope Stevie refuses if he's asked to but I doubt it. He loves playing for England.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2012 09:00:12 pm
      I'm from Glasgow - I'm a Liverpool fan, that's all.

If Scotland played Liverpool in the imaginary world cup final - I'm wearing red. Nationalism is irrelevant to me

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2012 09:52:46 pm
      I'm from Glasgow - I'm a Liverpool fan, that's all.

If Scotland played Liverpool in the imaginary world cup final - I'm wearing red. Nationalism is irrelevant to me

Same as mate, the word nationalism has been bastardised and is not worth sh*t. Right now they use it to encourage young lads to go and get killed for whatever faulted agenda they are pushing, it's a lot worse than irrelevant.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2012 11:55:49 pm
      The only player I can think of that could possibly be thought of as a leader, established international and long term player is Hart.

Not really bothered myself though.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #33: Feb 05, 2012 04:27:33 am
      Who was the captain of the Titanic?

Pretty much this.

My attitude has been summed up in this thread by everyone else's eloquent replies.  Don't care, hope they fail spectacularly this tournament and every other tournament they enter in which the same core group of FA board members remain in their current positions.

edit: Just to add my 2c about the club vs country discussion.  It's club everytime.  I'd still back Liverpool FC if they went to war with my country.
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2012 04:41:41 am by vitez »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,226 posts | 8571 
      Reply #34: Feb 05, 2012 01:20:21 pm
      Eugene Terreblanche - might have been capped by Holland, South Africa and be slightly dead. Still good facsimile for predecessor

Ha ha ha - only just seen this, now that's funny!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #35: Feb 11, 2012 02:16:48 am
      Mancini saying Barry should be captain. :lmao:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #36: Feb 11, 2012 09:43:49 am
      Mancini saying Barry should be captain. :lmao:

Chuckle?

Thinking out the box... Get them both in, him and Paul could take them to the Euro's..
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #37: Feb 25, 2012 11:54:25 am
      Gerrard wants England captaincy

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard revealed on Saturday his desire to captain his country.

The midfielder - who also said Fabio Capello's resignation could give the team the necessary lift for a "successful summer" - said he would be "delighted" and "proud" to lead England.

Gerrard, who captained England during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, told BBC One's Football Focus: "If I get offered it, I'll take it and I'll be delighted and I'll be very proud to take it.

"But it's not my decision. It's down to, first of all, who Stuart Pearce wants to lead the team out, then whoever gets the job full time. But I want to be England captain."

Capello resigned after disagreeing with his bosses at the FA over the decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy pending his trial on racial abuse charges, which he denies.

After Capello left his role, Pearce was put in charge of the national side for England's friendly with Holland at Wembley next week. The former England left-back has admitted he would like to take the side to this summer's Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

Speaking about Capello's resignation, Gerrard said: "Yes, I was surprised, of course.

"I thought he would stay until the end of the summer, until the end of his contract and then move on, so it was a bit of a surprise.

"I don't think it will affect the England team.

"We'll get a new manager - it's a fresh start for everyone. It may be the lift we need to have a successful summer."

http://www.espnstar.com/football/euro-championships/news/detail/item759227/Gerrard-wants-England-captaincy/
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #38: Feb 25, 2012 03:48:17 pm
      The greatest Skipper in the world.

The fact he WASN'T Englands Skip, just makes everything else not worth my time.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #39: Feb 25, 2012 05:47:00 pm
      I think Gerrard has deserved the Captains arm band for a long time now rather than being the "go to guy" every time England are in trouble. Can't say it bothers me one way or the other now, as while I respect the people who support England I personally no longer care and haven't for a long time.

Selfishly, I hope they give the arm band to someone else, and Gerrard is so pissed off he decides to retire from international matches and concentrate on Liverpool. 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #40: Feb 25, 2012 11:25:02 pm
      It's beyond me that he is THIRD choice.

Terry was chosen as first choice. When he was stripped off the captaincy in the world cup, the new captain was Ferdinand. Gerrard was third choice.

Should never have been any other but first choice in the first place.

Hope he just retires from international football.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #41: Feb 26, 2012 08:53:15 am
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #42: Feb 29, 2012 11:28:06 am
      Scott Parker named captain.

What a F***ing joke England is.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #43: Feb 29, 2012 11:32:54 am
      Couldn't give a F**k, of no relevance whatever.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #44: Feb 29, 2012 11:34:41 am
      proof that the joke is reality.... incredible...
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #45: Feb 29, 2012 11:36:56 am
      Scott Parker named captain.

What a f**king joke England is.

Is that right?

F***ing hell... Discrace Stevie hasn't been given it..

Hope that makes his mind up to retire..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #46: Feb 29, 2012 11:41:25 am
      proof that the joke is reality.... incredible...
      In all honesty mate it does not mean sh*t, the English national team are of no consequence and if an LFC player failed to get selected ever again I for one would rejoice.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Feb 29, 2012 11:41:29 am
      Parker?
      F***ing joke.
      One good season with Spurs and he's captain.
      Another reason I hope England fail spectacularly at the Euros.

F**k them off Stevie, they're a joke.

Tony Barrett ‏ @TonyBarretTimes
      Pearce is manager & Parker is captain. Rarely has the England national team provided so much evidence of its growing irrelevance.

Simon Clancy ‏ @SiClancy
      Don't know what the fuss is about re: Parker. Why would you want a Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup winner + World Cup captain in charge
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #48: Feb 29, 2012 11:46:43 am
      Stevie G should have fu**ed the bellends off years ago.
      Confirms the lack of relevance - and the solution to irrelevant bodies? Do not give them any consideration whatever.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #49: Feb 29, 2012 11:46:57 am
      WOW.

JUST WOW.

For the fourth time, Steven Gerrard gets overlooked. So I guess Terry was first choice. Stripped off, Ferdinand was first choice. Terry made captain again and stripped off again, and Parker is third choice.

Gerrard should just retire today.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #50: Feb 29, 2012 12:06:45 pm
      Glad Parker has got the captaincy.

Now hopefully Stevie ditches the Eng-ur-land brigade for the cluesless set of bas**rds they are and focuses on the one thing that matters, Liverpool Football Club.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Feb 29, 2012 12:25:14 pm
      Puts on sensible hat, just for a second.

Maybe Gerrard is not starting the match.
      Johnson is also being rested.

Not unreasonable to expect two players that have featured for a final that included extra time and penalties to get a break.
      If Gerrard is on the bench you'd hardly sit him there with the captain's armband on.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #52: Feb 29, 2012 12:25:26 pm
      Retire. It's ok thought because England will have a force of Barry and Parker in midfield to win them the Euros. Unappreciated as an England player. Who needs them. Plus we'll get a few more years out of him hopefully.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #53: Feb 29, 2012 12:33:42 pm

Not unreasonable to expect two players that have featured for a final that included extra time and penalties to get a break.
      If Gerrard is on the bench you'd hardly sit him there with the captain's armband on.

Let's not be too sensible here mate  :D but while we are Parker is also suspended for the weekend so will be able to play the full 90.

Still would like Stevie to finish as soon as though. Hopefully after the summer.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,993 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #54: Feb 29, 2012 12:37:12 pm
      Ive never ever rated Pearce. Giving the arm band to Parker  confirms it. How the fook he didn't give it to Stevie G is a joke.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #55: Feb 29, 2012 01:09:55 pm

This, I've got no time for any FA sh*te and that includes the debacle that is the England set up. Stevie's just had a 2 hours+ of football and a good nights celebration so I wouldn't imagine he'll be starting. Also Pearce has said that this match is more about the youth coming through than existing senior players.

I'm not arsed anyway, if every LFC player retired from England duty tomorrow I'd be F***ing made up.
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #56: Feb 29, 2012 01:22:20 pm
      Typical , what a kick in the teeth to Gerrard. Very predictable after 'arry made it known he'd appoint Parker if it was up to him.
      The whole England set up is so southern centric , it's not  really representative of us up North ,which is probably why  most of us have no interest now.
      They'll appoint 'arry and he'll pick all his English Spurs lads.
      Stevie G has never complained at the way they've treated him over the captaincy ,I hope he tells them to stick it where the sun don't shine.
      Really hope England get stuffed good and proper tonight.
      At least we appreciate Captain fantastic.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #57: Feb 29, 2012 02:23:26 pm
      If its a decision for the long term then its a F***ing insult to Stevie.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #58: Feb 29, 2012 02:34:50 pm
      Seriously people, just relax and think to reasons perhaps why Gerrard isn’t captain tonight before going off on one. Any chance he might not start? Any chance England are doing him and us a favour after all he played in a cup final on Sunday & we play the Goonies Saturday morning!

Why is this some kind of kick in the teeth to Liverpool, Gerrard and the North and seen as the FA fukking on us? They are more than likely acting on what Gerrard and us want.  ;)
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #59: Feb 29, 2012 02:35:48 pm
      I wouldn't mind if it was just for today and Stevie G is the long term captain. But if Parker will be the long term captain, that's really insulting to Gerrard. Scummy FA

Besides there's no official statement that he is captain for tonight anywhere.... It's just sights mentioning rumours , and bbc with their usual quote "BBC Sport understands"
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,226 posts | 8571 
      Reply #60: Feb 29, 2012 02:38:44 pm
      So tonight's England captain is someone who captained a team to relegation last season!

Just sums up Pearce for me.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #61: Feb 29, 2012 03:08:41 pm
      To be fair, Stevie has not played for England since 2010 and is unlikely to play the full game tonight. Hopefully after this latest knockback he will realise where his future lies, forget about England after the summer and concentrate on Liverpool. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #62: Feb 29, 2012 03:20:59 pm
      I think there is some doubt about whether Gerrard will even play due to fitness concerns after playing 120 minutes on Sunday, so can understand Parker being chosen for this game.

Not that I particularly care.

At least as far as I know Parker has never dodged a drugs test or touted his Wembley tickets about so the FA are aiming to move in a more respectable direction.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #63: Feb 29, 2012 03:42:28 pm
      He's only got 10 caps for England. I'd be very surprised if he becomes permanent captain.

In an interview with the BBC before the Carling Cup final, Gerrard said about the captaincy, "I want it". So I'm not gona pretend to not give a F**k if he isn't the permanent captain. He wants it, therefore I want him to get it. I'd love to see him lift the trophy at Euro 2012.

But, if Harry becomes manager, there's no way he'll change the captain from Parker to Gerrard.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #64: Feb 29, 2012 03:52:18 pm
      These are meant to be the creme de la creme of English players, I don't understand why such a fuss is made of the captaincy.  Switch to the Italian system, most Caps or do something ridiculous like least caps, bit all this fuss over nothing is daft and is being stirred by sh*t bags in the media who can't be arsed to report real news.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #65: Feb 29, 2012 04:06:34 pm
      I don't get Gerrard's desire to continue to play for England.

Really think its time for him to kiss it goodbye.

In what planet is it normal to pick Parker over Gerrard for the Captaincy?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #66: Feb 29, 2012 04:07:40 pm
      In what planet is it normal to pick Parker over Gerrard for the Captaincy?

The planet where the Spurs boss is likely to become the next England manager.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #67: Feb 29, 2012 04:08:08 pm
      Talk is from "insiders" that Stevie is starting tonight.

Don't get me wrong I care very little about international football I just think its a kick in the teeth for Stevie to be over looked.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #68: Feb 29, 2012 04:16:17 pm
      The planet where the Spurs boss is likely to become the next England manager.

The decision has Harry Redknapp written all over it.

That, to me, is just disrespectful. Parker over Gerrard is a farce. Imbecilic.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #69: Feb 29, 2012 04:28:44 pm
      I can't see Gerrard playing the full 90 minutes tonight, so that would explain (in my mind at least) why he hasn't been given the captaincy. I agree with what has been said several times about Parker getting it because 'Arry is on his way in as the next manager.

Hopefully, Gerrard will quit international football after Euro 2012 and just concentrate on club football.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #70: Feb 29, 2012 04:57:14 pm
      I can see the reasoning behind Redknapp being behind it, but it's not as if he is his captain at Spurs. King ( probably rightly) Dawson and Modric have all captained spurs this season.

The more disrespectful thing I find is Pearce saying yesterday that he will pick the captain with the thoughts being " somebody who thinks of the team before them himself" as well as other comments.

I'd be pissed if I was Stevie thinking about that.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #71: Feb 29, 2012 05:04:46 pm
      Who really cares about International football, afraid I lost interest ages ago. I just hope none of our players pick up any injuries in these meaningless friendlies.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #72: Feb 29, 2012 05:08:37 pm
      Who really cares about International football, afraid I lost interest ages ago. I just hope none of our players pick up any injuries in these meaningless friendlies.

Think the majority echo these thoughts mate. Just think Stevie has been treated sh*t.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,539 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #73: Feb 29, 2012 05:16:32 pm
      The only way I see it acceptable to pick Parker over Gerrard is if Gerrard isn't starting, which I hope he isn't after playing in the final. In fact, the sooner he retires from playing for England, the better.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #74: Feb 29, 2012 05:38:06 pm
      The only way I see it acceptable to pick Parker over Gerrard is if Gerrard isn't starting, which I hope he isn't after playing in the final. In fact, the sooner he retires from playing for England, the better.

Talk is he is starting behind Welbeck in a 4-2-3-1.

International football means nothing to me, just feel Stevie deserves better..
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #75: Feb 29, 2012 05:46:48 pm
      How dare you guys discount a true warrior like Scott Parker. He led England to the famous and completely deserved victory over the unbeatable La Furia Roja with his ferocious tackling and perfectly parted hair.

/endsarcasm
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,539 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #76: Feb 29, 2012 05:48:47 pm
      I think we all know why he was picked, it was because of the hair wasn't it?

Sad bas**rds!
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #77: Feb 29, 2012 06:06:02 pm
      Surprise surprise, the FA overlook Steven Gerrard as captain and give it to someone from London.

Scott Parker isnt fit enough to shine Gerrard's boots in respects to being captain of a team.

You never know, it may be a good thing and take pressure off Gerrard
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #78: Feb 29, 2012 06:10:28 pm
      I think we all know why he was picked, it was because of the hair wasn't it?

Sad bas**rds!

Absolutely. The powers that be want a captain with a 1950s haircut. Now they have one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #79: Feb 29, 2012 07:23:55 pm
      I normally don't give a s**t who is England captain but Gerrard clearly wanted it and this is a kick in the teeth for him and I'm gutted for him.

Scott Parker!

Hardly one for the future and would love Stevie to f**k England off if not now after the Euro's.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #80: Feb 29, 2012 07:42:17 pm
      The London based media got what they wanted
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #81: Feb 29, 2012 07:56:34 pm
      Little surprised, but hey, did psycho pick him or the FA?
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #82: Feb 29, 2012 07:58:20 pm
      F***ing disgrace in my opinion, not only does Gerrard start but he's not even the captain. :mad:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #83: Feb 29, 2012 07:59:22 pm
      Not surprised with Pearce as manager, he had the u-21's playing like Stoke at the euros last year
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,539 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #84: Feb 29, 2012 08:00:46 pm
      Watching now, looks so wrong Gerrard being 4th in line with Parker etc in front of him..
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #85: Feb 29, 2012 08:04:56 pm
      Embarrassing for England, other nations playing against England wont of heard of him
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,539 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #86: Feb 29, 2012 08:06:38 pm
      Hope we get beat 4-3

Kuyt x4 (4th being a penalty after Parker gets red for bad tackle in box)
      Gerrard x3

xD
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #87: Feb 29, 2012 08:17:42 pm
      Embarrassing for England, other nations playing against England wont of heard of him

As much as I disagree with the lack of respect shown to Stevie that's not quite right, im sure most footballers around the world will know who he is...

They will have all wanted to be him having seen him in that old McDonald's advert for one  :f_tongueincheek:
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,539 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #88: Feb 29, 2012 08:42:09 pm
      Oh ffs gerrard off after 30 minutes. Hopefully he is okay!!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #89: Feb 29, 2012 11:35:05 pm
      What an absolute joke the FA is a total farce.

Gerrard should open his eyes for once and look at the bigger picture, after being made second to a coke sniffing manc, then a ticket touting rascist he has now been made second choice to a player who captained a side to relegation, and his biggest feat is an Intertoto cup with Newcastle, more so as corbally said nobody outside of England would have heard of him. I am sure if you ask any football fan in the America's, Africa or Eastern Europe you will find a marginal proportion would have only heard of him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #90: Mar 01, 2012 12:02:28 am
      The London based media got what they wanted

I was shocked to see papers here in London saying "Parker was perfect" for the captain role, or something like that. It's unbelievable, he's not even captain at Spurs, where there are other English players ahead of him.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #91: Mar 01, 2012 12:25:08 am
      Stevie should just retire.

He's clearly not appreciated there. Being overlooked for the captaincy so many times and having to play out of position to accommodate inferior players.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #92: Mar 01, 2012 09:46:33 am
      I think it is fair to say after reading this that some on here don’t care much for England! Thing is Steven Gerrard does, he loves playing for his country & showed that again last night. He wasn’t captain because he was only ever going to play ½ a game at the most. He was showed complete respect when he came off, he even apologised & was told “thats fine”

He wasn’t kept on the pitch as its obvious what he can do & that we have a massive game against the Goonies. Now, of course I am not privy to what Gerrard is told or what is discussed between him and the England camp, it seems some people here are though! How do you know if Gerrard was or wasn’t asked about being captain? Perhaps the situation is fine with him & it was explained? Parker - what a crap choice? Isnt this the bloke who was football writers player of the year (no doubt I'll be shot down by people poo pooing that award) and also England fans player of the year - no doubt England fans dont understand football either!

It was great being back at Wembley just days after our win, very good turnout for the game & a pretty decent atmosphere for a friendly. I’m from the South btw so please don’t bite my head off – Im certainly not Anti North & tbh I don’t see the same hatred some of you guys do, for sure I just don’t get the whole thing about the FA being against us at all. Gerrard wouldn’t play if that was the case, just think about that.

That Dirk Kuyt bloke looked ok as well, great cross for their 2nd & he seems to have more pace when playing for the Dutch! Robben ripped us a new arse a couple of times, he's as fast as anything!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #93: Mar 01, 2012 05:04:39 pm
      I think it is fair to say after reading this that some on here don’t care much for England! Thing is Steven Gerrard does, he loves playing for his country & showed that again last night. He wasn’t captain because he was only ever going to play ½ a game at the most. He was showed complete respect when he came off, he even apologised & was told “thats fine

You have to have a more profound insight into the social ramifications and their causes in respect of any nationalistic sentiment by the people of Liverpool.
      Captaining the national team or not and Steven Gerrard's feelings or not pale into insignificance when you consider the treatment by HM government Liverpool has been subject to for as long as I care to remember, indeed my grandfather told the same stories in his day.
      You are no doubt thinking 'what the F**k is this fella on about' and I am digressing to an extent, that is until I tell you this is the reason for Liverpool's insularity - the majority of our tribulations have been at the hands of successive Tory governments foisted on us for the most part by those darn sarf who have no understanding nor do they want any of anyone north of Watford.
      We don't give a F**k about the establishment, HM and her government or the England team, this is Liverpool.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,226 posts | 8571 
      Reply #94: Mar 01, 2012 05:07:06 pm
      We don't give a F**k about the establishment, HM and her government or the England team, this is Liverpool.

Should get that on a banner!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #95: Mar 01, 2012 05:13:46 pm
      And get banned darn sarf.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,226 posts | 8571 
      Reply #96: Mar 01, 2012 05:18:33 pm

Would look great running right along the front of the kop though.

Quick Reply